PDA

View Full Version : heart condition

bmccaffrey
07-09-2016, 07:58 AM
Has anyone ridden with a cardiac life vest.

Had the misfortune of going into conjestive heart failure . Spent 4 days in ICU

After catherization found i have week heart muscle called ( VF)
Treated with medicine to hopefully get strenghth back. They don't know what caused it could have been a viral or bacterial infection.
Anyway i have to wear vest till problem is resolved or they may put ICD in (hopeing not)

Just would like to know if anyone rode with one. Not that it's going to stop me

If i can not feel the alarm go off which can be a false reading it will deliver a shock. Have 2 buttons to hit when alarm goes off if i dont need the fibilator.

Thanks

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-09-2016, 08:04 AM
So very sorry to hear this, many :pray:'s being sent ........................Mike :thumbup:

bmccaffrey
07-09-2016, 08:11 AM
Of course this happened at camp which is 130 miles away. I need to get spyder back home.

And of course i'm on vacation this week . NICE VACATION BUT ALIVE!!!

Bob Denman
07-09-2016, 08:16 AM
My Dad has a pacemaker with a built-in defibrillator. When that thing goes off: it'll drive him right to the ground... :shocked:
As much as I hate to say it: I'd be VERY cautious about riding around with that in place. nojoke

I hope that the medications solve the problem quickly! :thumbup:

PrairieSpyder
07-09-2016, 08:21 AM
Wow. I'm sorry to hear about this. :pray: What does you doctor say about Spydering with the vest on? Are you just wanting to ryde your Spyder home and then park it? Or are you wanting to continue enjoying the fun in spite of your condition? If your doc recommends against ryding, surely you can find a friend who'll get the Spyder to your home for you.

cuznjohn
07-09-2016, 08:22 AM
sorry to hear you had a problem, good luck

Chupaca
07-09-2016, 08:42 AM
Really sorry to hear about this. Had a similar chest issue couple weeks ago and after a battery of tests they concluded that I damaged some skeletal muscular connections in the rib cage. Did not know about the vest but would be very careful ryding or driving with it on and activated, depending on the affect it has on your control. Hope the meds get you back in shape and you will be able to manage without additional stimulation...:pray::pray:

robmorg
07-09-2016, 09:14 AM
Wow. I'm sorry to hear about this. :pray: What does you doctor say about Spydering with the vest on? Are you just wanting to ryde your Spyder home and then park it? Or are you wanting to continue enjoying the fun in spite of your condition? If your doc recommends against ryding, surely you can find a friend who'll get the Spyder to your home for you.

I second that advise. :thumbup: All in favor say "aye".

Get well soon!

Jheck
07-09-2016, 09:35 AM
I second that advise. :thumbup: All in favor say "aye".

Get well soon!
Aye! You gotta not only think of your self but those motorists around you.hate for that vest to go off or you go into arrest and cause someone else to have an accident. Park the bike until this gets straightened out to your and your doctors satisfaction.

Peter Aawen
07-09-2016, 09:38 AM
Your best bet has got to be to talk to your supervising physician or the manufacturer of the device - no-one else is really going to be able to say if your condition & the way the device operates will make it safe to drive or even possible to remain alert & in control of your faculties while it's doing whatever it hasta do to keep you alive; & please bear in mind that it's not only yourself that you might be putting at risk either, you've also gotta consider the other road users out there who might end up on the wrong end (possibly terminal!) of your failure to remain in control of your Spyder while the device does it's thing!! :shocked:

You can't just assume what this vest (or the implantable device for that matter) will mean to how you live the rest of your life, but I'm pretty sure that if you tell your Doctors how important getting out on your Spyder is to you & your lifestyle, they will make every endeavour to make it possible for you to continue ryding! I am just a month on from surviving a heart/lung event that apparently very few survive, let alone walk away from; but after making sure my Doctors knew how important continuing Spyder ryding was to me, when I was discharged they collectively agreed (& documented!) that I was well enough to ryde & not a significantly greater risk to other road users than any other licenced driver and they have approved my continuing to ryde & to drive too, as (at least here in Aust) many heart incidents &/or surgeries/appliance installations etc mean mandated periods of No Driving & the consequent suspension of your licence, with various degrees of approval & testing required before re-issue of your licence. So I was extremely lucky on so many levels; I survived AND I'm allowed to continue driving/ryding too! :D

It might be prudent to make sure that your State doesn't have similar No Drive periods or requirements for approval &/or re-testing before returning to driving!! It'd be a pain to get booked for driving on a medically suspended licence just because you weren't aware that it was a mandatory suspension following your heart event or for wearing that vest; or even worse, having a prang when you shouldn't have been driving for those or any other medical reasons & injuring (or killing) an innocent by-stander or any other road user!! :yikes:

So whatever you do & whatever other info/advice you get given here, before heading off to collect your Spyder, it'd be smart to make sure you talk to your Doctors & your driving licence issuers about this sort of stuff & make sure that you are cleared & OK to drive/ryde both medically & legally! :thumbup:

Edit/ps: sorry, but I took a long time typing my saga! Please Add my 'aye' to that earlier advice. And all the best for your recovery too - just remember that heart problems are just another challenge to overcome; if you are still here to face & overcome them, you are more'n half way there already!!

Tango
07-09-2016, 09:41 AM
Of course this happened at camp which is 130 miles away. I need to get spyder back home.

And of course i'm on vacation this week . NICE VACATION BUT ALIVE!!!

Do you have towing on your insurance? Tell them the bike won't start. :yikes: And you didn't hear that from me. :roflblack: Sorry you had this happen. :pray: Maybe a friend can come and get it. Or a local dealer? :dontknow: Tom :spyder:

bmccaffrey
07-09-2016, 09:48 AM
No driving for 3 days which i can tomorrow.

Women who demonstrated the vest said personnel choice.
Said lawnmower could set it off. Mowed lawn yesterday no problems.

I look at it if i can drive a caged vehicle i can drive the spyder.

Was just seeing if anyone else has had this experience.

You people are great:yes:

SpyderAnn01
07-09-2016, 10:05 AM
Sorry to hear about your ticker, I hope that you don't have any further issues. Looks like you've decided to ride the Spyder home, have a safe trip.

bmccaffrey
07-09-2016, 10:50 AM
Sorry to hear about your ticker, I hope that you don't have any further issues. Looks like you've decided to ride the Spyder home, have a safe trip.

Thanks Ann

Yes I will drive home and continue to ride
If I can work I can ride.

RIDING BEST THERAPY I CAN GET:thumbup:

SteveP
07-09-2016, 11:05 AM
Hope all clears up soon . I had a little "episode " a couple years ago while working in the city ( Toronto)? I noticed I had a couple dizzy moments and felt like crap , left to go home for the day but decided to stop at my doctors just to get checked ... Into an ambulance and to the hospital with over 220 bpm heart rate . My heart it turns out is fine , just an electrical glitch that may or may not show up again . My point for your situation is that when the hospital found out I drove 40 minutes to my docs clinic while feeling that way ... They ( one Doctor) tried to start a process to have my license suspended for driving while " knowing I had a medical issue dangerous to others" . I had to get my Doctors statement and an affidavit from the ambulance drivers stating that I was unaware in their opinion that I was in any serious medical state while driving . They told me they had authority to take my license until I could prove I had no more medical issues . It would have been a very bad situation for my livelihood if it happened

Deanna777
07-09-2016, 11:16 AM
Aye! You gotta not only think of your self but those motorists around you.hate for that vest to go off or you go into arrest and cause someone else to have an accident. Park the bike until this gets straightened out to your and your doctors satisfaction.:agree: Deanna

garb55
07-09-2016, 11:18 AM
I am sorry to hear about your health problem
But I like your attitude of not letting anything get you down
that is what keeps use alive
Just be very careful we don't want to loose you
Don

Deanna777
07-09-2016, 11:24 AM
:pray::pray::pray: to you, I hope your heart condition gets better.

Keep us posted when you can.

Deanna

Kwalsh
07-09-2016, 12:39 PM
Sorry to here about your issues and hope for a speedy recovery, if you need someone to bring spyder home I am in Albany but would make a road trip to help you out

bruiser
07-09-2016, 03:03 PM
I'm intrigued by your description of your cardiac diagnosis. VF is used to describe ventricular fibrillation. Not a weak heart muscle. VF is why your doctor wants you to wear the WCD (wearable cardiac defibrillator). I would definitely discuss this with your cardiologist. Those WCDs can deliver a shock up to 285 joules. That's a pretty significant jolt.

I'm a lifelong afib patient and a retired EMTI.

ARtraveler
07-09-2016, 03:16 PM
Sorry to hear of another case of heart issues. My advice is to follow the directions of the physician. They do know best. I am the recent recipient of five stents but happily no electrical equipment on board yet. I will know more about that in five weeks or so. I hate it, but am following the advice of my physician.

Hang in there. :yes:

wyliec
07-09-2016, 03:46 PM
I'm intrigued by your description of your cardiac diagnosis. VF is used to describe ventricular fibrillation. Not a weak heart muscle. VF is why your doctor wants you to wear the WCD (wearable cardiac defibrillator). I would definitely discuss this with your cardiologist. Those WCDs can deliver a shock up to 285 joules. That's a pretty significant jolt.

There are a number of things that can cause VF. The doctor gave him a generic term, maybe in place of cardiomyopathy, which can cause it. But, you are correct, a weak heart muscle is not called VF.

I can no longer offer any medical advice since Bob D hexed me yesterday, and I paid for it today.

In any case bmccaffrey, get well soon. I have nothing to offer except get well. And, I slept at the Holiday Inn last night.

WEB-WVR
07-09-2016, 03:51 PM
As already stated...I would not ride with a possiblity that the unit would defibrillate/shock you.

I had similar issue 9 years ago. I rode to Laguna Seca in Monterey CA. On the last day of the race I went into heart failure and rode out in an ambulance. I spent 4 days in a cardiac unit, flew home, had to ship the bike home. It tuned out to be an expensive vacation.

I found out I have atrial fibrillation and I am in a constant state of heart failure....no pace maker or defibrillator yet.

The nice event that happened was that the local Honda Dealer in California picked up and stored my bike for 3 weeks all at no charge until I could arrange to have it shipped home. They said they always take care of a downed rider.

Good luck and get back on the streets soon ! :thumbup::ani29:

Bob Denman
07-09-2016, 04:50 PM

:agree: My Dad describes it like "getting hit by lightning." :yikes:

bmccaffrey
07-09-2016, 05:59 PM
Thanks for all the advise guys.
Yes i know the difference between vf and week muscle . My heart functions at 35% of 55%

The vf was picked up while sleeping with monitor. Arteries are as clear as a bell.

I will bring spyder home this week and continue to ride. Like i said i can work and drive i can drive my spyder as well.

And i'm one stubborn irish men:clap:

May take off when riding. God only knows how long i've had this.Was only picked up while i was sleeping.

Follow up AUG. 4th

Ride on my brothers:ani29:

cyclelover63
07-09-2016, 06:45 PM
My opinion,for what it's worth..I have had a difib implant for close to 20 years..Added a combo defib-pacemaker app 3 years ago...I haven't been shocked in 15 years..Every person and their condition is different..My aunt used to get shocked walking up the basement steps...I would be very careful and reluctant to ryde until you get the device memory read after you have had it a while..Mine tried to pace my heart down app 22 times before it shocked me..I didn't feel those 22 times...They can tell you the date and time the device records any rapid heartbeat...you very rarely feel it unless it goes over 150 bpm..Funny thing,when I was ryding my Spyder was when my heartbeat was the lowest...Something to be said for relaxation,contentment and the Spyder open road experience..nojoke

Bfromla
07-09-2016, 06:45 PM

:thumbup: I would advise asking as well, if the vest gets inflated by wind (or something) the sensors my act at wrong time..... Dont need things to get worse :yikes: The spyder can wait until you know more & feel better about it. :coffee:( finding 2buttons while driving dont sound smart) The vest is one device, guessing your in constant company ( that know how to respond) after my incident I could hardly be left alone & needed to train my friends how to respond if I had an episode or anything like it. Sux but better than alternative.

bmccaffrey
07-09-2016, 06:50 PM
Sorry to here about your issues and hope for a speedy recovery, if you need someone to bring spyder home I am in Albany but would make a road trip to help you out

Thanks so much for the offer.
It's great people like u that make this site:thumbup:

bmccaffrey
07-09-2016, 06:57 PM
My opinion,for what it's worth..I have had a difib implant for close to 20 years..Added a combo defib-pacemaker app 3 years ago...I haven't been shocked in 15 years..Every person and their condition is different..My aunt used to get shocked walking up the basement steps...I would be very careful and reluctant to ryde until you get the device memory read after you have had it a while..Mine tried to pace my heart down app 22 times before it shocked me..I didn't feel those 22 times...They can tell you the date and time the device records any rapid heartbeat...you very rarely feel it unless it goes over 150 bpm..Funny thing,when I was ryding my Spyder was when my heartbeat was the lowest...Something to be said for relaxation,contentment and the Spyder open road experience..nojoke

That's what i.m saying.
Vest is tight will set alarm off first before shocking.
It wakes me every morning when one of the pads is not right. Gel will dispurse also before shock. This is temporary. Hopeing not to get ICD. We'll c what meds do. But if i need will get

Grandpa Pete
07-09-2016, 07:53 PM
Hello, I've got an ICD implant in my chest for a real funky left ventricle. I've been injected with 6 stents so far and don't want anymore. My heart doc says take it easier than I used to and my primary care doc says let er rip (pun intended). It's all personal choice. I ride a Spyder because of many reason's, but, this is one of the major reasons. Take care and Carpe Diem......:thumbup:

bmccaffrey
07-09-2016, 08:23 PM
Hello, I've got an ICD implant in my chest for a real funky left ventricle. I've been injected with 6 stents so far and don't want anymore. My heart doc says take it easier than I used to and my primary care doc says let er rip (pun intended). It's all personal choice. I ride a Spyder because of many reason's, but, this is one of the major reasons. Take care and Carpe Diem......:thumbup:

Thanks Pete:thumbup:

I'm only 61 and have no plans of slowing down real soon