PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal?

Freegle
07-06-2016, 08:02 PM
I have a 2012 RT-S with about 15000 miles on her. I am is the process of changing the oil and noticed a lot of oil buildup on the lower half of the engine. I bought her used in March so this is the first oil change. I have owned other motorcycles and I now that some oil buildup is normal but this seem the be a lot. Is this normal for this model?

Chupaca
07-06-2016, 08:09 PM
Hard to tell there are many reasons this could be there. I would take advantage and spray some engine cleaner on and clean it up and then see what builds up or if there is a leak. Many people do not clean those parts so could be from overfill leaking from the airbox valve cover gasket leaking etc. Does not look excessive if it wash never cleaned....:thumbup:

GearHd
07-06-2016, 09:01 PM
Could it be the counter shaft seal leaking?

finless
07-07-2016, 10:41 AM
Usually this is oil in the air box that is leaking out the breather hose.
Overfilling with oil causes this.

However with that said, I had this issue when I had a set screw come out inside my engine. There is a service bulletin about this.

Here is my post about it.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?80089-14K-service-and-OOOOPS!-I-don-t-think-this-is-good!&highlight=set+screw

Bob

redrt
07-07-2016, 10:57 AM
My wife's 2012 RT had a water pump leaking had it repaired no more leak. Also had a vent line repaired before the water pump. Take it to a good shop and get it looked after. Jim

BajaRon
07-07-2016, 12:22 PM
I agree with cleaning the area well (carb or brake cleaner works well). It could be a number of things including if someone used grease (too much) on the drive belt. Probably not but once you've got it clean you can then check to see where it's coming from.

It may not come back at all.

jwulf74
07-07-2016, 12:29 PM
We had to have the gaskets replaced due to oil leaking. Basically I scrubbed everything clean and kept the panels off so I could check it every so often and verify to the dealer that it was indeed the gaskets.