PDA

View Full Version : I really want to like this bike...

Stumpy6Guns
07-06-2016, 03:55 PM
I've owned it for 5 1/2 weeks, and ridden it for 800 miles, and now I'm starting to wonder if it's me or the machine.
It just feels squirrely. I've read a bazillion posts, and I try to stay relaxed and do the things that you folks with much more experience have shared, but riding this thing is wearing me out. All I want is a nice, well-behaved machine that doesn't continually scare me like this one does.
It is very sensitive to roadway conditions and wind turbulence. Above 45 mph, I feel like I am fighting to stay in my lane as it darts about. Rain grooves and patched asphalt especially cause trouble, but smooth is not trouble-free.
I installed the Baja Ron swaybar and links, and I'm trying to be objective, but I can't say for sure that they helped. I've methodically changed the tire pressures in order to find the optimal settings and have settled into 18.5 psi in front and 28 psi in the rear.
I haven't had it aligned yet; wish someone in Escondido would buy the equipment so I don't have to drive 100 miles to get it done.
The drive belt starts slapping time at 5800 rpm, unless I'm going uphill and then it starts earlier. I checked the tension with the little click gauge, and it's at 160 lbs. A belt tensioner is needed.

Maybe it's fine. I don't have a frame of reference to compare it to; I should probably take a new one out for a ride to get my head calibrated.

I think my biggest fear (other than safety) is finding out that I bought someone else's problems and it's just worn out and will take a lot of $$ to make right.

Bobleach45
07-06-2016, 04:16 PM
Don't know your full situation. I came off of a HD Ultra Classic and it took me 4-500 miles to get comfortable. I bought a 2013 RT Ltd with 9900 miles. Definitely knew I needed a backrest so I bought one and put it on. Put on grip covers to increase the grip size and relaxed my grip. Didn't really have to do anything else. Just had to put on the miles and get used to how to lean my body in corners and make sure I came into the corners right. Stay. Off the brake. I recently did 574 miles of twists and turns in VA and NC with no problem and I have not upgraded my sway bar or anything and yes I was plenty aggressive in those twists and turns. The 2 others with me were on Harley's and thought they could shake me. NOT!!! I do think you need the belt tension adjusted. By the way, that ride was my 1 year anniversary ride on the Spyder and my 71st birthday.

ekfraz
07-06-2016, 04:25 PM
I may take 1,000 miles on the Spyder to get use to it, also you may want to check your tire pressure!

pegasus1300
07-06-2016, 04:26 PM
My 2012 has 21,721 miles on it. My closest laser alignment is in Las Vegas about 350 mi. So I'll trade you. I gave my local tire shop the alignment specs and he did a regular alignment. I could tell a difference,tho to be honest I didn't think I had a problem before, until I saw the front tires wearing funny. I would remember that somebody enjoyed that Spyder for over 3 years and 20,000+ miles. No it's not worn out, It just needs some fiddling. Is it a dealer that is 100 miles away? If so ride it over and have them check it out for you, front end and belt tension. If there is a problem, you'll find out what it is and what it will cost to fix.

I love my Spyder. It only had 8500 on it when I brought it home a years ago. Cynthia(my wife ) and I went to Bryce on Monday we had a great trip no problems and a nice ride. I now have 21000+ miles after Sturgis San Diego and Beartooth Pass/Cody under the tires and Charlotte has performed beautifully.

JayBros
07-06-2016, 04:29 PM
I added my Spyder to the toy inventory to cover ground faster than on a pedal power reverse trike, aka a tadpole trike, so I had long since learned the criticality of a light touch on the bars routine. If you don't relax your grip every movement of your body will be imparted directly to the bars. You're half way to smooth riding with Ron's bar and IMO the laser alignment is a must. Riding the 100 miles to get it done is the best investment you can make at this point and you'll see the difference immediately on the trip home. Sorry, can't advise on the belt tension. Stick with it; it will become fun.

SpyderAnn01
07-06-2016, 04:33 PM
You said you settled on 18.5 psi, please tell me that that is your front tire pressure only and not your rear. The rear should be at 28 +/- 2

Come on over to Las Vegas and we will get you Squared Away as it sounds like that is the one thing you haven't done that you should. If you are not able to control your Spyder with one finger then it isn't handling properly.

fjray
07-06-2016, 04:35 PM
I've put a little over 8,000 miles on mine and still can't say I'm friends with it. At low speed I really like it and it doesn't want to take a nap at stops. above 35-40 I really miss my wing and have considered going back that way. I have done the sway bar, laser alignment. spring spacers and a belt tensioner with some measure of success . I think I corner about as fast as on the wing but it takes a hell of a lot more effort and is not as stable. This last weekend I bumped the front tire pressure to 25 and it really helped take some of the flex out of those soft 1 ply sidewalls. I may bump it a couple more as the tires are rated to 30 psi. I may be asking to much but some folks say theirs handle like they are on rails. Mine does not. You will get lots of pointers so pick what sounds real and discount the rest. Good luck.

Cruzr Joe
07-06-2016, 04:53 PM
Ride the 100 miles and get it laser aligned, the ride back will convince you that you made a great move.

Cruzr Joe

Bob Denman
07-06-2016, 05:14 PM
:agree:
You have to remember that there is a distinct "learning curve", that comes with these bikes. If you had never ridden a "leaner": you'd find it much easier to adapt to them.
A looser grip on the bars, and some more time in the saddle...
Patience...

Stumpy6Guns
07-06-2016, 05:39 PM
I'll be leaving for home in an hour or so, and I'll work on my grip. My commute is 25 miles each way, with a great mix of surface streets, freeway, and 9 miles of twisties just before I see my gate.
Thanks for the encouragement!

spyderCodes
07-06-2016, 05:51 PM
After I bought my first RT I thought I had made the biggest mistake of my life.
All I thought it was good for was an Interstate Cruiser.

Taking it around the curvier roads scarred the hell out of me.

At about 2k I started to understand it and my old muscle memory began to subside.

I can't discount you may have a hardware problem, but I sort of doubt it.

I hope you give the Spyder a chance.

Bob Denman
07-06-2016, 05:57 PM
I'll be leaving for home in an hour or so, and I'll work on my grip. My commute is 25 miles each way, with a great mix of surface streets, freeway, and 9 miles of twisties just before I see my gate.
Thanks for the encouragement!

:D It sounds as if you've got the PERFECT commute... :clap:

Take the long way home! :2thumbs:

Motorcycledave
07-06-2016, 06:13 PM
I thought I knew California good but Valley Center was a new one on me...
If you want some real info on the spyder and you and NO I dont want to sell
you anything. Give me a call I am in Linden, CA 45 miles south of Sacramento
209-887-3283 call most any time
Dave

I've owned it for 5 1/2 weeks, and ridden it for 800 miles, and now I'm starting to wonder if it's me or the machine.
It just feels squirrely. I've read a bazillion posts, and I try to stay relaxed and do the things that you folks with much more experience have shared, but riding this thing is wearing me out. All I want is a nice, well-behaved machine that doesn't continually scare me like this one does.
It is very sensitive to roadway conditions and wind turbulence. Above 45 mph, I feel like I am fighting to stay in my lane as it darts about. Rain grooves and patched asphalt especially cause trouble, but smooth is not trouble-free.
I installed the Baja Ron swaybar and links, and I'm trying to be objective, but I can't say for sure that they helped. I've methodically changed the tire pressures in order to find the optimal settings and have settled into 18.5 psi in front and 28 psi in the rear.
I haven't had it aligned yet; wish someone in Escondido would buy the equipment so I don't have to drive 100 miles to get it done.
The drive belt starts slapping time at 5800 rpm, unless I'm going uphill and then it starts earlier. I checked the tension with the little click gauge, and it's at 160 lbs. A belt tensioner is needed.

Maybe it's fine. I don't have a frame of reference to compare it to; I should probably take a new one out for a ride to get my head calibrated.

I think my biggest fear (other than safety) is finding out that I bought someone else's problems and it's just worn out and will take a lot of $$ to make right.

Netminder
07-06-2016, 06:25 PM
I also have a 2012 RTL and as mentioned above it took some miles to feel comfortable, but also the two things I did that greatly improved my ride was Elka shocks and BajaRon Bar. And of course a laser alignment. After that it was a charm to ride. :thumbup:

Pampurrs
07-06-2016, 06:34 PM
Ride the 100 miles and get it laser aligned, the ride back will convince you that you made a great move.

Cruzr Joe

:agree: and if anything else is amiss with your Spyder, Joe and Ann will find it.

Pam

RykerUSA
07-06-2016, 06:35 PM
I purchased a new 2015 ST Limited 2 months ago. Before picking it up, I told the dealer I had read that these bikes come from the factory with alignment problems and I expected mine to be right on. They assured me that alignment would be no problem.

They were wrong!! The bike took tons of input just keeping it straight - going down the highway. Sweeping right hand turns were down right dangerous as the bike would lurch through the turn.

I got the bike lazer aligned the next day at another Can-Am dealer for $150. Not covered by warranty as dealer said it was "within spec".

It may have been within spec but it was not properly aligned!

My ride hone after getting lazered was a DREAM. Handled like it should given that it's brand new.

I've put on 4300 miles in the last 2 months and I love it.

I just dont love getting screwed by a dealer when they were notified of the problem and committed to deliver the bike in alignment.

There, I got it off my chest. Thanks for letting me vent.

Bottom line is this: YOU MUST GET LAZER ALIGNMENT or you should probably sell your bike.

Buggy
07-06-2016, 06:41 PM
Hang in there....it only gets better!

Ron2andia
07-06-2016, 07:21 PM
:agree:

Chupaca
07-06-2016, 07:31 PM
Have you had someone else ryde your beast...?? that would be a real fast way of telling where your at. Someone other that a dealer type. Squared Away would be good for you. See if Ann and Joe will put a slot in the garage so you can pay for the trip....:roflblack::roflblack: or you can get in touch with Lou at Pirate Powerspoets in Riverside, best wrench around there parts...:thumbup:

Ben Burped
07-06-2016, 08:04 PM
I purchased a new 2015 ST Limited 2 months ago. Before picking it up, I told the dealer I had read that these bikes come from the factory with alignment problems and I expected mine to be right on. They assured me that alignment would be no problem.

They were wrong!! The bike took tons of input just keeping it straight - going down the highway. Sweeping right hand turns were down right dangerous as the bike would lurch through the turn.

I got the bike lazer aligned the next day at another Can-Am dealer for $150. Not covered by warranty as dealer said it was "within spec".

It may have been within spec but it was not properly aligned!

My ride hone after getting lazered was a DREAM. Handled like it should given that it's brand new.

I've put on 4300 miles in the last 2 months and I love it.

I just dont love getting screwed by a dealer when they were notified of the problem and committed to deliver the bike in alignment.

There, I got it off my chest. Thanks for letting me vent.

Bottom line is this: YOU MUST GET LAZER ALIGNMENT or you should probably sell your bike.

You now know that this dealer will lie to you. This is the time to buy a manual and start doing it yourself. Be thankful that you learned who not to trust so cheaply. Many have been screwed harder and more expensively before they learned .

ES44AC
07-06-2016, 08:06 PM
I think it took me about 1k miles to get accustomed to the Spyder RTS. After I learned to " Hold on loosely but don't let go " all was better.

I either have got more accustomed to the wind buffiting or just got better at holding on. The windshield all the way up you take more of a beating around tractor trailers. I got a beating today around some today more than I have in a long time. Crosswinds and turbulence from the trucks all at the same time.

With all this said I Love my Spyder. My wife likes it better than any bike I have ever had. Wish I had a short windshield for summer though.

derrill
07-06-2016, 08:50 PM
I had a 2013 RT limited and it was squirrely I raised the air pressure on front tires to 23 pounds, back tire to 30 pounds and raised the compressor to hard ride and it felt good. Bought 2014 RT limited and found the sway bars were much better. Did the same with the tire pressure. Put a car tire on the rear 6 ply and it stopped the roll over feeling on the back. But most of all is to relax. The bike senses your tension. Me and my wife love the spider "Squeaky" because of the brake pads always squeak. The 13 we put 31000 miles on in 17 months. The 14 we have put 31000 miles on in 17 months. We have had no major problems with either bike. Just relax and enjoy, it's safe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

_..stiffler..
07-06-2016, 08:54 PM
I just got my 2011 rt limited with 7700km on it. Got it Friday and by Sunday I already had over 9000km on it.

I read on here and put my tire pressure at 20 per front and 30 rear.

I do get a bit of grinding feeling from the belt at around 6000rpm. I believe that's just belt slap. And may need to be adjusted. But haven't bought a tensioner yet.

I love it. Its comfortable and cruise is amazing.

I'm also coming from a sport bike (RC51) and the wind kicked you around on that like crazy. They spyder moves around as well but not near as bad. Just takes a bit to get used to.

Just go out and enjoy. Ride and have fun.

Hope it works out for ya.

Stiff

Sent on Note 5 in Taptalk

Cruzr Joe
07-06-2016, 09:07 PM
I had a 2013 RT limited and it was squirrely I raised the air pressure on front tires to 23 pounds, back tire to 30 pounds and raised the compressor to hard ride and it felt good. Bought 2014 RT limited and found the sway bars were much better. Did the same with the tire pressure. Put a car tire on the rear 6 ply and it stopped the roll over feeling on the back. But most of all is to relax. The bike senses your tension. Me and my wife love the spider "Squeaky" because of the brake pads always squeak. The 13 we put 31000 miles on in 17 months. The 14 we have put 31000 miles on in 17 months. We have had no major problems with either bike. Just relax and enjoy, it's safe.

Everyone has their preferences, but i find that 23 in the front makes it too bouncy.

Cruzr Joe

Tazzel
07-06-2016, 09:19 PM
See if you have a Spyder riding group around you and find someone you trust that also rides an RT. Swap Spyders and have them tell you if yours handles any different. I rode a demo RT for about 3 hours and if anything it was so stable that I found it very boring compared to the RS and F3.

Stumpy6Guns
07-06-2016, 09:34 PM
:D It sounds as if you've got the PERFECT commute... :clap:

Take the long way home! :2thumbs:

Lol! There's no short way home, only choices of roads. I can go up the Valley Center Road grade (5% for 2.7 miles and then flat for 8 miles), which is 60 mph but mostly straight, or take the steep twisty way, which is much prettier and more fun!

Jimboregon
07-06-2016, 11:00 PM
I don't want to brag, but, I ride 22.5 miles each way on Highway 30, from Astoria, Oregon to the Wauna Mill. Look it up on Google Maps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

whiteyron
07-06-2016, 11:29 PM
Do yourself right and get Ron's sway bar and most important , get the laser alignment, it made a night and day difference on my 2013RT Limited. I could go down a straight stretch of road without my hands on the grips, I don't only because that be kina stupid. Seriously it rides like a dream after the laser alignment .

Stumpy6Guns
07-07-2016, 12:36 AM
I don't want to brag, but, I ride 22.5 miles each way on Highway 30, from Astoria, Oregon to the Wauna Mill. Look it up on Google Maps.

Wow! Greenery! And lots and lots of water! It looks like a very nice ride. Do you ever run into fog or wind?

ARtraveler
07-07-2016, 12:50 AM
The 2012 RT is considered one of the best of the best.

I see two possibilities.

The famous death grip and/or the need for a laser alignment.

The death grip is hanging onto the handgrips to tightly. Doing so, will cause to much input. The :spyder2: is very sensitive to this and will make it feel like it has a mind of its own. I remind people to pretend there are eggs between your hands and the hand grips. Do not break the eggs. Use a push/pull when initiating a turn or direction change. Use as little input as possible.

If the above is not happing with you, then I highly suspect needing a laser wheel alignment. Our 2011 now steers and handles like it is on rails. Linda felt she had a brand new bike after the first two blocks or so.

Let us know what you find out. We would like to hear that you are loving your 2012 RT. :yes:

cptjam
07-07-2016, 12:51 AM
I will fix it, and by the time you get home, you will love it! We are not far, and can work around your schedule. Joe

Jimboregon
07-07-2016, 12:52 AM
Nearly every day. Plus deer and elk beside the road. I installed 100/80 watt H-4s in my Honda ST 1300.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Bob Denman
07-07-2016, 06:41 AM

Brag away! :clap: :2thumbs:

:shocked: I only get to walk 30 feet... :banghead:

wanderingman
07-07-2016, 08:28 AM

I had the same issue. The dealer ( Central Florida Powersports Kissimmee Florida ) put me on a loaner and went to work on my RTS. The belts in my OEM tires were not straight. They spent 3 weeks proving the problem and getting new tires. The power steering was also causing the bike to turn right. They also did a laser alignment. When I got it back it handles beautifully. When I first got on the loaner I knew mine had problems. When we are new to Spyders we don't know what to expect, but I believe when they are setup correctly they are fun, not scary to ride.

wanderingman
07-07-2016, 09:12 AM
My 2012 has 21,721 miles on it. My closest laser alignment is in Las Vegas about 350 mi. So I'll trade you. I gave my local tire shop the alignment specs and he did a regular alignment. I could tell a difference,tho to be honest I didn't think I had a problem before, until I saw the front tires wearing funny. I would remember that somebody enjoyed that Spyder for over 3 years and 20,000+ miles. No it's not worn out, It just needs some fiddling. Is it a dealer that is 100 miles away? If so ride it over and have them check it out for you, front end and belt tension. If there is a problem, you'll find out what it is and what it will cost to fix.

I love my Spyder. It only had 8500 on it when I brought it home a years ago. Cynthia(my wife ) and I went to Bryce on Monday we had a great trip no problems and a nice ride. I now have 21000+ miles after Sturgis San Diego and Beartooth Pass/Cody under the tires and Charlotte has performed beautifully.

I like your statement regarding a regular alignment. I have never aligned a Spyder, but I have done many high speed rotating equipment alignments. I have used lasers and love them. In no way will I demean people who now do laser alignments. But I have also used dial indicators and jigs or fixtures. A good alignment is much more dependent upon the technician then the tool used. A laser makes it easier for a good tech to be accurate, but a laser plus an unskilled tech will still result in a poor alignment. I began doing alignment back in the 1960's. Lasers did not exist and our alignments had to be within .002 of an inch. it was time consuming, but it was done. A laser alignment is not the be all cure all. My NEW Spyder had bad belt alignment in the tires. Not the drive belt. Fortunately I have a great dealer, Central Florida Powersports. They replaced my front tires. In addition the power steering was trying to turn the wheels to the right. My dealer also did a Laser Alignment but a Laser alignment could not fix these problems.

PrairieSpyder
07-07-2016, 09:13 AM
I was talking to some friends recently. He rides and Goldwing and she has an RTS. I was explaining to them how riding the Spyder is different from a 2-wheeler. You have to be more active riding the Spyder. You don't just keep your body in alignment with the bike and zoom through the curves. You must actively ride the Spyder as well as the road. It is a different experience all together. As you make peace with that, you'll become more comfortable on it at higher speeds.

Bob Denman
07-07-2016, 09:15 AM
:agree: It's all about leaning into the curves... :riding:

murphybrown
07-07-2016, 09:29 AM
Wow! Greenery! And lots and lots of water! It looks like a very nice ride. Do you ever run into fog or wind?

I have found that it is critical who does your laser alignment...several dealers have the equipment....but over the years and watching many situations...I literally only TRUST Squared Away (Joe and Anne) to "do it RIGHT". :firstplace: If I had to I would ride 1000's of miles to have them align my Spyder. They also have huge knowledge skills on Spyder...so if it isn't the alignment they will pin point and recommend. We
Welcome to Spyderlovers...best group of folks in the world...:yes:
Are you coming to the Red Rock Rally?:ohyea::ohyea:

PrairieSpyder
07-07-2016, 11:38 AM
I have found that it is critical who does your laser alignment...several dealers have the equipment....but over the years and watching many situations...I literally only TRUST Squared Away (Joe and Anne) to "do it RIGHT". :firstplace: If I had to I would ride 1000's of miles to have them align my Spyder. They also have huge knowledge skills on Spyder...so if it isn't the alignment they will pin point and recommend. We
Welcome to Spyderlovers...best group of folks in the world...:yes:
Are you coming to the Red Rock Rally?:ohyea::ohyea:

:agree: Squared Away is the best!

BajaRon
07-07-2016, 12:19 PM
You need a laser alignment. Until you get that done your Spyder will never track correctly. The sway bar does a lot of things but it won't help (or hurt) your alignment.

Once you get your Spyder laser aligned you'll be a very happy camper! :thumbup:

Stumpy6Guns
07-07-2016, 04:42 PM
I would love to take it in to Squared Away, but there are 200 miles of Mojave Desert to go through, with an average high temp of 109°F this time of year. That's way too hot for me; in fact, it was so hot in Baker, CA a couple of weeks ago that my nephew turned his HD around and went back to Las Vegas rather than risk it. He drove home early the next day.

sjn7708
07-07-2016, 05:01 PM
I think there is a big difference between the 2012 and the 2015 has the 2015 has different shocks and a bigger sway bar and of course different engine. my 2015 RT drove perfectly right out of the box. Even the stock seat broke in enough to where its comfortable for me. I would try anything to get it right because once you do you will love it, and I am a gold wing guy at heart.

Bob Denman
07-07-2016, 05:06 PM
I would love to take it in to Squared Away, but there are 200 miles of Mojave Desert to go through, with an average high temp of 109°F this time of year. That's way too hot for me; in fact, it was so hot in Baker, CA a couple of weeks ago that my nephew turned his HD around and went back to Las Vegas rather than risk it. He drove home early the next day.

Could leave REAL early to avoid the worst of the heat?
Have the work done, and spend the night in Vegas. :thumbup:
You could then ride home early the following day... :dontknow:

JayBros
07-07-2016, 05:15 PM
Could leave REAL early to avoid the worst of the heat?
Have the work done, and spend the night in Vegas. :thumbup:
You could then ride home early the following day... :dontknow:

That's exactly how I would do a 400 mile round trip in that country.

Bob Denman
07-07-2016, 05:24 PM
:D I might be smarter than I look...

But that STILL doesn't "set the bar" too high... :banghead:

Stumpy6Guns
07-07-2016, 05:28 PM
Or I could slip my nephew some party money and have him take it for me!

Bob Denman
07-07-2016, 05:34 PM
:shocked: That would work...

But you wouldn't get the chance to immediately notice the difference it makes in the bike's handling.

"What happens in Vegas..." :D

Stumpy6Guns
07-07-2016, 05:40 PM
I know.
Without going into a lot of detail here, suffice it to say that the composition of our family doesn't allow me to make overnighters. I don't even travel for work if I can avoid it.

Bob Denman
07-07-2016, 05:48 PM
I hope you know that if your nephew spends that much time on it: he's gonna really want one! :D

MikeT
07-07-2016, 07:26 PM
:agree: Squared Away is the best!

+2 on what PS said. My "local" dealer has the Rollo system. I chose to have the Squraed Away team align mine @Spyderfest 2016 after having a Ron Bar installed by Harvey's crew. Experience is everything.

Deanna777
07-07-2016, 07:29 PM
Hang in there....it only gets better!x 3 Deanna

Stumpy6Guns
07-07-2016, 09:52 PM
I hope so. Tonight's ride home was awful. The bike wouldn't hold a line in the curves; a little input gave too much output. Every time I relaxed my grip, the dang thing would head for the boonies. I felt the rear tire break loose a couple of times, and other times it felt drifty, especially coming out of the curve when it would snap into a straight line.
At one point, I was ready to get off and push it the remaining 7 miles home.
I feel like I'm caught in a vicious circle. I'm getting more skittish, which undoubtedly shows up in the bike's behavior, which in turn makes me more skittish.

As far as getting it aligned goes, Riverside is a lot closer than Vegas, and that means fewer hours of terror on the road. :shocked:

The local dealer is having a Can-Am sales event tomorrow through Sunday. I'm going to go ride a new machine just to see how it feels. I'll also talk to their service tech and get his input.

Man, reading back through my posts in this thread makes me sound like a big whining ninny. I'm really not- I just don't need the aggravation!

BitSlayer
07-08-2016, 08:26 AM
Hang in there. The bike can be a great ride. I am on my second one now and there is some learning as all have said. The alignment can help keep the bike on a straight line. One of the biggest things for me is to make sure your front end is not sagging and does not dip going into the corners. I think you have stated you have a BajaRon sway bar installed. You might look at the preload of the front shocks. Set it at the top most level, 5. That helped me on my 2011. The next step would be to look at some Elka shocks. They will also make a world of difference.

I agree with talking to a Can-Am specialist. They can give the bike a once over and tell you if there is a basic setup problem. I have heard stories about a misaligned DPS sensor making the steering squirly as well.

Good luck and hope you get the issue resolved. The bike is a great ride.

Pirate looks at --
07-08-2016, 09:10 AM
Before you go out and spend $1000.00 for Elka shocks, get that darned thing laser aligned. PM Spyder Anne and she will get you Squared Away. I can literally ryde my Spyder without gripping the handle bars. Push with the outside hand and pull ever so slightly with the inside hand. Most Tim we can take corners with one hand. I am guessing that you are WAY out of alignment!:banghead::banghead:

PW2013STL
07-08-2016, 12:30 PM
Or I could slip my nephew some party money and have him take it for me!

I would advise that you get it to Joe and Ann (Squared Away) how ever you can as they are the best. I had them do an alignment on mine in Alaska last year and they checked it again in Springfield. Joe noticed that my air bag was not holding air - something that I missed. I was able to get my dealer in MN to fix it under warranty.

BajaRon
07-08-2016, 03:49 PM
I think there is a big difference between the 2012 and the 2015 has the 2015 has different shocks and a bigger sway bar and of course different engine. my 2015 RT drove perfectly right out of the box. Even the stock seat broke in enough to where its comfortable for me. I would try anything to get it right because once you do you will love it, and I am a gold wing guy at heart.

The 2015 does not have a bigger sway bar than the 2012. BRP did re-engineer the frame and suspension making improvements to geometry and shocks. The sway bar on the 2015 is longer and mounts differently. But is functionally the same as the 2012 bar.

Stumpy6Guns
07-08-2016, 05:42 PM
I think I may have found the problem- bad ball joint(s) on the left side. Tow truck is on the way.

Bob Denman
07-08-2016, 05:47 PM
:shocked: That'll do it...
While it's never good to find a busted part on your bike; at least you have a good idea as to what the source of the bigger problem was!
So I don't want this to sound horrible :shocked:, but :congrats:

ARtraveler
07-08-2016, 06:13 PM
Glad to hear you found what may be the biggest part of the problem. :yes:

Stumpy6Guns
07-08-2016, 07:54 PM
They loaned me a brand-new 2016 RTL with 3 miles on the clock for a couple of days. What a difference! It's more sensitive than mine, so it took some getting used to, but it handles like everyone says it should. The corners that gave me trouble before were easier to deal with, and I felt a lot more confident on this bike. I picked up some bad habits out of fear on my bike, and I had to work at riding correctly, but I'm glad it's my bike and not me!:clap:

IdahoMtnSpyder
07-09-2016, 12:32 AM
They loaned me a brand-new 2016 RTL with 3 miles on the clock for a couple of days. What a difference! It's more sensitive than mine, so it took some getting used to, but it handles like everyone says it should. The corners that gave me trouble before were easier to deal with, and I felt a lot more confident on this bike. I picked up some bad habits out of fear on my bike, and I had to work at riding correctly, but I'm glad it's my bike and not me!:clap:
Now you know we weren't shi**** you! That's great! :yes:

PW2013STL
07-09-2016, 04:14 AM
:2thumbs: On finding the issue and :clap:for not giving up. I do have to warn you that after having the 16 to ride it will be hard to go back to the 12 ;)

Bob Denman
07-09-2016, 07:25 AM
That's the problem with the newer bikes. nojoke
Everything that you love about your current ride, is just as loveable on the new ones.
And the stuff that might have needed a bit of improvement: they knocked right out of the park! :clap: :2thumbs:

Face it :shocked:: the hook has been set, and you're doomed! :D

PrairieSpyder
07-09-2016, 08:05 AM
I'm so glad you found the problem. :ohyea::ohyea:

Stumpy6Guns
07-09-2016, 10:10 AM
The price of the '16 is why I bought the '12! I just don't know how you guys can keep trading in for new rydes without going broke. The financial mechanics escape me!:dontknow:

Bob Denman
07-09-2016, 05:16 PM
The price of the '16 is why I bought the '12! I just don't know how you guys can keep trading in for new rydes without going broke. The financial mechanics escape me!:dontknow:

:D It's actually pretty easy to understand... :clap:

Stumpy6Guns
07-09-2016, 08:42 PM
It's the how that eludes me. These are not cheap rydes, and my pockets aren't deep. Let's say that I wanted to keep this one, after just buying the first one in May. It doesn't seem likely that the dealer will just take the trade and pay off the note without asking me to come up with more cash to cover the shortage or roll the difference into the new loan.

If the dealer could work it out so that between the two bikes, I didn't spend any more than if I had bought the '16 to start with, I'd probably go for it. Are you listening, Mr. Dealer?

Babyblue
07-10-2016, 10:37 AM
I am sorry to hear you are struggling. I on the other hand cannot ride 2 wheels to save my soul.

That being said, when I bought mine new in 2012 I rode her home 90 miles with absolute confidence and comfort. I learned within a few miles not to man handle it. I ran between 60 and 70 mph all the way home. But, I had no preconceived notions about riding a Spyder. I let my machine guide me in how to rider her. In curves if I felt a pull, I leaned against it.

It sounds like you are comparing apples to oranges. Try to erase all negativity in your mind every time you go for a ride. Ride it like a snowmobile (if you ever have). Lighten that touch on the handle bars. No death grip! If she still pulls, then you may need an alignment. I never have had mine done though.

Don't lose hope. Maybe riding a new one will help, but the new ones are way different than the older ones so keep that in mind.

Good luck!

Blue

Bobleach45
07-10-2016, 11:07 AM
Great that you found the culprit. Once you get past the bill and getting it fixed you'll be on your way to miles of smiles and happiness.

cyclerider
07-10-2016, 07:13 PM
Here is my take. I am happy you found the issue. Some may say that I am a little off the hinges. I have 2013 RTS Spyder with no suspension mods. I am not spending several hundred dollars on any steering issues unless it is absolutely necessary. I have ridden many bikes over many years. When I first test road the Spyder, I thought. This thing handles like crap. In ten minutes I thought. I love the comfort on this thing. It handles ok. I adjusted quickly. After owning and riding the the Spyder for over a year now I noticed more "twitchiness" in the steering. I tried something while riding on a straight stretch in a cross wind and turbulence from a tractor trailer. I have tried this several times now. I set the cruise control and gently let go of the bars. (No Hands). The Spyder held a straight line for some time. Maybe a quarter mile. It still tracked pretty well beyond that with little adjustment from just a touch of a finger. I believe the steering is fine. I have no issues with the steering. It takes curves very well. (Although two wheels are more responsive in the twisties.) I have not ridden a Spyder with a laser alignment. It probably would be a noticeable difference. But I am pretty satisfied with the stock set up. Just my opinion.

Bob S
07-10-2016, 07:20 PM

Have you looked at your front shocks?

I have the Baja Ron's sway bar, but I also put on his shock adjusters. Used a couple of turns and they really have helped.

Good luck.

BobS

Stumpy6Guns
07-11-2016, 11:23 AM
Great that you found the culprit. Once you get past the bill and getting it fixed you'll be on your way to miles of smiles and happiness.

Fortunately, I purchased an extended warranty that will cover the repairs. The sad part is that my Spyder will be in the shop for at least a couple of weeks; I'm having them fix a few other issues while they have it.

Ball joints
Install air scoops to cool down my foot and hind end
Fix drive belt vibration (@5800 RPM, it vibrates like a cricket on crack)
Glove box latches, but doesn't lock

Pirate looks at --
07-11-2016, 11:47 AM
You know the dealer maybe motivated to move units so you may as well ask the dealer, what cane you do for me? The worst thing that happens is that you have your Spyder fixed and you ryde off into the sunset!:yes:

Bob Denman
07-11-2016, 12:27 PM
:agree: There's no harm in asking... :thumbup:

Stumpy6Guns
07-11-2016, 05:55 PM
I talked to the sales guys when I dropped off the loaner yesterday, but they weren't biting. They just smiled and said mine will ryde just like the '16 when it comes out of the shop. Who's playing whom here? Why can't they just shut up and take my money?:joke:

Bob Denman
07-11-2016, 07:05 PM
Actually: it'll be way better than you could imagine... :2thumbs:

twisties
07-12-2016, 06:49 PM
Put a car tire on the rear 6 ply and it stopped the roll over feeling on the back.

What car tire did you put on your Spyder and why?
Thanks!

twisties
07-12-2016, 06:56 PM
I probably had close to 1000 miles before the Spyder ride smoothed out for me. Prior to that, I also felt the steering and handling was shaky. Once I made a conscious effort to gently steer with both hands, everything smoothed out and clicked into place. I agree with one comment where he said you should be able to steer with one finger. That is true once the early kinks are gone. And I can report lots of aggressive fun in the curves, now. I am keeping up with the big boys in my group and the Spyder feels great.

Ex Winger
07-13-2016, 04:47 AM
Since you bought this bike in May was there not a Safty insp done on it.Who ever did the safty should be responsible for the ball joints.Good luck on getting your ride back and sure hope you enjoy it.
Bill

dlby
07-14-2016, 09:43 PM
3000 miles of what have i done!?

I was afraid to change radio stations,
Cruise control? What a joke, may never be able to use it etc.
Wandered allover the road. Skittish,
Had to slow way down for most any action.

And i am a life long rider of many machines.

But i knew in my gut it must be me

3 more thousand mi

Now i do not know where that bike went.-----

Oh wait its the same bike!
I found out how to ride it🚲

This machine is awesome and finally becoming second nature like all my other rides!

Embarrassing to even say these things as a 48 year rider but if it helps another i wi step up to the plate

I love R&R put another dime in the jukebox baby!

derrill
07-15-2016, 04:37 AM
What car tire did you put on your Spyder and why?
Thanks!

I would have to go look at name of tire. It don't matter whose tire you use as long as it is good for riding in the rain. I went with a 205-60-15. It is a 6 ply tire and controls the roll over feeling that came with the spider. Was getting between 6000 and 8000 miles on the tires that dealer sells. The car tire got 22,000 miles before changing. I also use ride-on in my tires. Ride-on balances the tires as well as sealing nails and screws that makes get get in them. I continue to use the front tires from dealer because I've not had any problems with them and get great mileage from them. Also my speedometer is only 1 mile per hour off instead of 3 miles per hour.

dlby
07-15-2016, 07:21 AM
I put a Yokahama s drive on our machine
Amazon.com 1 day delivery
Great price

I love R&R put another dime in the jukebox baby!

Bobleach45
07-15-2016, 10:12 AM
Let us know what you think when you get it back. I've got a feeling that happiness will set in.

pegasus1300
07-15-2016, 10:36 AM
I would have to go look at name of tire. It don't matter whose tire you use as long as it is good for riding in the rain. I went with a 205-60-15. It is a 6 ply tire and controls the roll over feeling that came with the spider. Was getting between 6000 and 8000 miles on the tires that dealer sells. The car tire got 22,000 miles before changing. I also use ride-on in my tires. Ride-on balances the tires as well as sealing nails and screws that makes get get in them. I continue to use the front tires from dealer because I've not had any problems with them and get great mileage from them. Also my speedometer is only 1 mile per hour off instead of 3 miles per hour.

Hooorraayyy for you to say this derril.:yes::yes: I go to my local tire shop and ask him "what do you have that will fit this". He put something on it,I don't know what but it has over 12K and still looks new. Did the same with the fronts. These ride great roll nice steer really nice and have enough sidewall strength to not roll in a hard turn. They fill the front fender really well and look great and best of all they were cheap.

If you live in a small rural town you get to know your local merchants and they know you and your machines. Brody at Bros Tires is a racer and a gear head and was excited to get to fool with the Spyder a little. He understands the forces that a 3 track vehicle puts on it's tires and picked some good tires for me. They're not brand name,but they are round and black and work. If you don't like what you have for tires and don't want to do the internet thing get to know your local tire people. You might be surprised what they can come up and how much they know or want to know about your machine. For me,even though I do most of my own work, having people just down the road a little that I can talk to about what is going on is a real blessing.

Stumpy6Guns
07-15-2016, 03:15 PM
:banghead:

So, I got a call from the dealer today. I said, look, if the wrench can't find the problem, I'll come down and show him. I jumped in my truck and was there 20 minutes later.
The mechanic started to explain to me how the Spyder is different, how an off-camber road can cause problems, how 95% of what is on the forums is nonsense, how laser aligning off the rear wheel is wrong, blah blah blah.
His test ride went just A-OK, too.

He put the bike up on blocks and showed me how everything is nice and smooth, and the ball joints are just fine. I couldn't find the clunk, either, and that just embarrassed me.
He took it off of the blocks, and tried to politely show me the door because he already used his allotment of time on the job, but I can be rather thick, so I kept messing with the tire.

BINGO! I was able to duplicate the problem by pushing and pulling hard on the top of the tire when it was on the ground. He felt it, too, and we could both feel it in the joints themselves. I figure at least .010" (0.254mm) of play in the joint.

There isn't any acceptance criteria for the joint; it's either good or bad. I have always allowed zero play in ball joints, and that much play makes it bad in my book. He didn't think it was bad, but hey, let's keep the customer happy even if he is wrong.

The alignment tolerance is +/- 0.5mm, but I don't know where that is measured. If it is measured right at the joint, the play is eating up half of it before you even get started. If it is measured elsewhere, all of the tolerance is long gone, and the alignment is in the weeds.

I put my massively powerful persuasion powers into turbo mode, and he gradually came around and said they would get the warranty company to cover the replacement and their full-on 3 1/2 hour alignment.

Actually, I was just very nice and reasonable, just like any ticked-off Quality Engineer should be! You wanna talk Quality? Let's talk Quality! heh heh heh.

I should hear back today or Monday.

Lastchance
07-15-2016, 03:39 PM
WOW you need a new dealer, ever see a car or truck looking like it's going down the road a bit sideways that's what happens when the front wheels aren't aligned with the rear, don't think I would let him align mine

Bob Denman
07-15-2016, 05:46 PM
:shocked: I feel bad that they tried to give you "The Bum's Rush"! :gaah:
:D But I'm happy to hear that your powers of persuasion were too powerful for them! :clap:
Now, if you can get it Laser-aligned... :2thumbs:

BitSlayer
07-16-2016, 08:31 AM
An informed customer is always bad news for an uninformed technician. :gaah:
Glad you were able to persuade him and get the issue covered under warranty. We are all anxious to see how your ryde changes when you get your :spyder2: back in operation. Please let us know :popcorn:

cognaccruiser
07-16-2016, 10:06 AM
Good for you that you were persistent and got something done. I'm sure you will ask to see the old parts to ensure he actually did what he promised.
Sounds to me like he was trying the old "BS baffles brains" approach and you didn't bite.

Hope it all works out for you.

Gary

agedbikeman
07-25-2016, 03:04 AM
:agree:As all of the above, HANG IN THERE:lecturef_smilie:

I collected my 2014RT from the Paris dealership back in February, as I sat down I though how will I ever get comfortable, within 5 miles I thought what heap of junk have I bought here, my hips ache, my knees hurt and my bank balance is depleted:banghead:, I just don't fit this bike:yikes:, I percivered, bought an airhawk seat cusion, fitted running boards, and highway plates and slogged on for over 1000 miles, now I'm used to it. My girlfriend sat on the back, as I drove off she thought come back Suzuki Burgman all is forgiven, after a few hours she wouldn't swap it for anything.
JUST GIVE IT TIME and relax when you ride and best of all DON'T think about it , just ride:riding:
I like it now and enjoying it.
Hope you get to like it, you think just 'cos it was so expensive it's bound to be good, oh no:hun:, you shell out big bucks then have to invest more to make the bike fit you.:yes::yes:

Stumpy6Guns
07-27-2016, 01:10 AM
I really hope this downtime isn't typical. My bike's been sitting in the shop for 2 1/2 weeks and they've done squat. Parts hadn't even been ordered as of last Friday. I'll be doing my own wrenching from now on, unless BUDS is required or it's going to cost me more than 25 bucks, in which case another mechanic will be getting my business.

We need a walking in circles with an evil cloud overhead emoji!

Bob Denman
07-27-2016, 07:16 AM
It sounds as if you've got a "Dealership Problem"... :shocked:
I'm sorry to hear that they're dragging this out. :banghead:

Stumpy6Guns
07-28-2016, 04:51 PM
The warranty company just approved the ball joint replacements. Their risk management dept had to approve it, and I guess they decided that their exposure to my risk was too much!

Should have the bike back late next week. They are going to do the BRP alignment procedure, after which I will get it laser aligned. Any bets as to how off it might be? :roflblack:

Bob Denman
07-28-2016, 04:56 PM
:congrats: Things ar FINALLY moving forward again! :yes::yes:
How much will their "crack" alignment be off? I'm guessing 3/8" on one side, and 7/16" on the other!
(What do I win, if I'm right? :D)

Stumpy6Guns
07-28-2016, 05:25 PM
Just braggin' rights, Bob!

Bob Denman
07-28-2016, 05:27 PM
:D I'll take 'em! :thumbup:

Stumpy6Guns
08-05-2016, 06:23 PM
At least I can amuse myself. My SmoothSpyder belt tensioner came today. I think I'll sit in the corner and spin the wheel and make vroom vroom sounds...:yes:

Stumpy6Guns
09-27-2016, 12:07 AM
2K miles have gone under the tires, the needed repairs and BRP alignment have been done, and now my RT and I are getting to be friends. I went on a 150 mile ride on some of San Diego County's twistiest roads this weekend, and was able to keep up with the group. There were a couple of oh cr*p! moments when I misjudged the curve and had to slow down quick, but experience is a pretty good teacher. The new EBC pads and rotors helped a lot!

A couple of mechanical issues popped up. One was a front end clunk whenever the weight shifted side to side; I think a sway bar link has come loose and needs to be tightened up. The other, which could very well be related to the first, was a rapid l-r-l-r oscillation of the front end when I hit a patch of bad asphalt. It felt like the road was washboarded. It happened a couple of times.

I need to get it up on ramps and check things out before I ride it again, but I don't expect to find anything major. I'll be converting the oil to Amsoil at the same time.

I'm considering new shocks on the front, after I have the ROLO alignment done. Probably after Christmas.

Bob Denman
09-27-2016, 07:20 AM
:agree: with you, regarding your diagnosis concerning the front-end clunk... :thumbup:

And I'm glad to hear that you're happily "Spinnin' & Grinnin'..." :D

Pirate looks at --
09-27-2016, 09:23 AM
Most likely one of the Heim (sp) links on the sway bar broke. This could be a bad thing and I would get under there and take a look. That happened on out 13 RT. Remember those things are made of plastic!:yikes:

Stumpy6Guns
09-27-2016, 11:03 AM
Most likely one of the Heim (sp) links on the sway bar broke. This could be a bad thing and I would get under there and take a look. That happened on out 13 RT. Remember those things are made of plastic!:yikes:

Nah, I put aluminum links in. I think I didn't get it tight enough to start with and now it's popping back and forth on the bolt.

Bob Denman
09-27-2016, 12:04 PM
Catch it quick: before it has a chance to damage the screw-hole, where it mounts... nojoke

Papahoosh
09-27-2016, 03:15 PM
How often do you have to get this laser alignment done?

Nice article...

http://www.spydercomfort.com/alignment.htm

Samson
09-27-2016, 05:18 PM
I had mine Laser Aligned and the left was off 1/8" and the right 5/8". The dealer states all Spyders are aligned with the laser- NOT! I only have 800 miles now and it is becoming better after each ride. Going through sweeping corners is a blast as I lean in and forward , feels like a go cart. I have noticed the air pressure in the tires can really effect this machine, much more than a 2 wheeler. I think I just need to learn how to ride THIS machine and forget 45 years of 2 wheelin.

Stumpy6Guns
09-27-2016, 08:58 PM
Catch it quick: before it has a chance to damage the screw-hole, where it mounts... nojoke

I got the Spyder up on ramps and checked the swaybar bolts. The right side snugged down about 1/2 turn on each bolt. Nice and tight now. The bottom bolt on the left side, however, turned about 3/4 turn, and then snapped. I was using two combo wrenches, not a ratchet or breaker bar, so apparently I have gained tremendous strength in my arms from ryding! :yes:

I'll pick up some 10.9 grade bolts and locknuts and replace them all.

Pirate looks at --
09-28-2016, 07:47 AM
How often do you have to get this laser alignment done?

Nice article...

http://www.spydercomfort.com/alignment.htm

Unless You take precautions when you change it....every time you change the rear tire!

Bob Denman
09-28-2016, 07:54 AM
Hi Stumpy,
It's better to bust them as home... :thumbup:

Lew L
09-28-2016, 10:24 AM
I got the Spyder up on ramps and checked the swaybar bolts. The right side snugged down about 1/2 turn on each bolt. Nice and tight now. The bottom bolt on the left side, however, turned about 3/4 turn, and then snapped. I was using two combo wrenches, not a ratchet or breaker bar, so apparently I have gained tremendous strength in my arms from ryding! :yes:

I'll pick up some 10.9 grade bolts and locknuts and replace them all.

5 decades ago we used to say the Honda fasteners were made of CHEESE.
Kaos

Kinderhook
09-28-2016, 10:30 AM
I ride a 2009 purchased used 5 1/2 years ago with under 600 miles on the clock. I had never been on a Spyder but liked the idea. I rode it home 75 miles, a little bit on the interstate and the rest on curvy Missouri roads. It went where I steered it. Trucks and side winds affected my exposed body, but I quickly learned in the first 25 miles that the roadster was very stable and did not react any more to these forces than my car. I have now put 44,000 miles on the machine and find I can corner with any vehicle without trouble. I don't have an add on swaybar or high price aftermarket shocks as I have never felt the need. Perhaps if one wishes to drive on the edge of control loss they might help.
After my second set of tires I noticed uneven wear and had the Spyder laser aligned, with resulting better even tire wear but little effect on handling. My advise to any new owner is get very familiar with the machine and how it handles before spending a lot on money on after market "improvements" which you may not need for normal riding. A light touch on he handle bars works best. Remember when you first learned to drive a car and constantly over corrected steering until experience taught a light touch and look down the road and not directly in front led to smoother operation. Same applies to the Spyder.

Stumpy6Guns
02-13-2017, 02:13 PM
Quick update: it took a couple thousand miles and a bit of perseverance, but I love my Spyders!

Bob Denman
02-13-2017, 02:33 PM
:D That's what we like to hear! :congrats: :clap::yes::yes::yes::2thumbs: