PDA

View Full Version : Self Maintenance Questions...

chkperk1
07-06-2016, 08:16 AM
Hey all,
For those that do your own oil changes, do you take your Spyder to a dealer to have the maintenance zero'd out? I am coming up on my "mandatory" first maintenance, my local dealer is EXPENSIVE. What all is done on the initial inspection? Is it worth the $350 plus they want to charge me?

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-06-2016, 08:33 AM
Hey all,
For those that do your own oil changes, do you take your Spyder to a dealer to have the maintenance zero'd out? I am coming up on my "mandatory" first maintenance, my local dealer is EXPENSIVE. What all is done on the initial inspection? Is it worth the $350 plus they want to charge me?
Dear Sir : We have no idea what Spyder you own ................don't you think that makes an answer difficult......Help us , we will help you..........Mike :thumbup:

jcthorne
07-06-2016, 08:43 AM
I can tell you first hand that most dealers do not reset the service interval counter in the ECM when an oil change or service is done. Usually only done when they do a software update.

Dan McNally
07-06-2016, 09:36 AM
From one of your other posts, I see you have a 2015 F-3S - this is what is included in the first service at 3000 miles - it is more than just an oil change. My personal opinion is, if you are ever having a dealer do your maintenance, the first one is the most important. It gives them the opportunity to find things from the build and assembly that may have started working loose.

Chupaca
07-06-2016, 09:51 AM
I always recommend they do the first one. there is a lot of break in checking done. after that you can do all the work yourself...:thumbup:

fatboy
07-06-2016, 09:55 AM
i noticed it says nothing about changing trans filter iwould think that should be done at this time also

SpyderAnn01
07-06-2016, 10:14 AM
i noticed it says nothing about changing trans filter iwould think that should be done at this time also

The transmission filter on the 1330 doesn't get changed very often, unlike the one on the 990 that was changed at each oil change.

My recommendation is that you do the oil change yourself and have the dealer do the rest of the service.

garb55
07-06-2016, 10:59 AM
The transmission filter on the 1330 doesn't get changed very often, unlike the one on the 990 that was changed at each oil change.

My recommendation is that you do the oil change yourself and have the dealer do the rest of the service.

Hi Ann
that is what I did
:f_spider: has not been back to the dealer since then
coming up on 28,000 miles and
I will take care of that one myself

Sarge707
07-06-2016, 11:12 AM
I didn't bring any of my 3 Spyders in for the First service and have had warranty work done on All 3 including the vacuum clutch assist on my 2015 F3 under warranty.
I do check everything on the list and I have Never had any fault codes before the First Oil change so there was No reason for the dealer to check for faults. Believe me-If you blow an engine they are going to go over the computer intensely to try and find a owner reason?nojoke

Bam Bam and Pebbles
07-06-2016, 01:22 PM
I had the dealer do my first service, but I brought in the oil and Gold Plugs for them to install. I will do the rest from now on. Make sure you keep receipts, and video any work you do in case an issue arises that you need documentation.

chkperk1
07-06-2016, 01:23 PM
Forgive my lack of forum etiquette... It has been a number of years since I've posted in a forum. Eventually, I will get my signature and some additional info on myself, and my 2015 F3-S SE6 :)

I appreciate the feedback.

I am puzzled as to why a dealer would not reset your service indicator... That is one way to prove you have maintained your vehicle. This is my first Spyder, but have had several two wheel bikes and the initial oil change has always been just a few hundred miles. No need to do that with the Spyder?

ARtraveler
07-06-2016, 01:44 PM
I always recommend that the dealer does the first (break-in) check over. I am not a mechanic, and do not have the expertise when it comes to all the electronic "whiz bangs" on the :ani29:.

The F3 gets the first service at 3000 miles and then at 9300 mile intervals thereafter. One exception--if you drive less than 9300 miles in a year--the oil should be changed at least yearly.

Cost has always been an issue with maintenance. $350 ballpark for that first service is pretty much average.

:welcome: and :congrats: on your new F3. :yes: