PDA

View Full Version : 2014 RT Limited or 2015 RT Special Series

MykLyks
07-05-2016, 09:15 AM
I'm looking at buying either a 2014 RT Limited with 2,000 miles or a 2015 RT Special Series with 200 miles. There's about a $500 difference between the two. I really like the look of the SS and the fact it has a warranty left on it. I don't know about the shorty windshield though. I would image you get more head buffeting with it. I'm 5' 8". Does anyone have one and can speak to the wind buffeting? I'm guessing a Limited windshield would fit it, but I'm not really wanting to dump $300 or $400 for a windshield into it right after I buy it.

PW2013STL
07-05-2016, 09:50 AM
I'm looking at buying either a 2014 RT Limited with 2,000 miles or a 2015 RT Special Series with 200 miles. There's about a $500 difference between the two. I really like the look of the SS and the fact it has a warranty left on it. I don't know about the shorty windshield though. I would image you get more head buffeting with it. I'm 5' 8". Does anyone have one and can speak to the wind buffeting? I'm guessing a Limited windshield would fit it, but I'm not really wanting to dump $300 or $400 for a windshield into it right after I buy it.

Not able to answer the question about riding with the short windshield, but I would not let that stop me from getting the Spyder you want because as you state you can put on a different shield. If fact I have one off my 2014 as we had to go to a shorter shield for my wife.
If you need it I will sell it to you for $100 shipped to your door, but first see if the short shield works for you.

JayBros
07-05-2016, 09:57 AM
Regarding the 2014, has the two year manufacturer's warranty expired? If not you should seriously consider purchasing a B.E.S.T. extended warranty, separately or as part of the deal. If the dealer wont throw it in at a good price buy from Bert's Mega Mall or Pit Bull. If you have deep pockets pass on the extended warranty

Regarding the 2015, if you like the SS, life is short, buy the darn bike. Have you test ridden the SS to verify head buffeting on YOU? Head buffeting is a negative term, think wind therapy is positive. After a test ride to confirm presence or absence what will the dealer do to sweeten a windshield deal? Comments about the B.E.S.T. extended warranty apply also to the 2015 although there is more time to decide, up until the original warranty expires. Good luck!

Bob Denman
07-05-2016, 11:07 AM
JayBros is right: they might just be willing to swap out the windshield for you in order to "seal the deal".
It never hurts to ask! :D
Good Luck! :thumbup:

SpyderAnn01
07-05-2016, 11:16 AM
If the factory warranty on the 14 has expired you can't buy the extended BEST warranty so that should be a big consideration in your decision.

Bob Denman
07-05-2016, 11:23 AM
Depending on when the 2014 was purchased: it MIGHT have a four-year warranty.
(Mine does!)

roadmaster5959
07-05-2016, 12:06 PM
I have a 2015SS with short shield and I am 5'9" tall. It is the only spider I have ridden and the shield is perfect for me in the highest position.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Copperman
07-05-2016, 12:31 PM
I'm not really wanting to dump $300 or $400 for a windshield into it right after I buy it.

You are aware that's only the beginning? The purchase of the bike is just the start of "dumping" $$$ into it. And the only reason you buy the bike is to have someplace to put all the farkles you buy. It's an addiction.

Just say'n.

Welcome.

149 and counting.

Ex Winger
07-05-2016, 12:43 PM
I have the 2015 RT ss and I replaced the short windshield.Its a great bike and trust me you,ll be spending more on other items.Buy what you think is best for you.
Bill

Bob Denman
07-05-2016, 12:43 PM
:shocked: :agree:

Bam Bam and Pebbles
07-06-2016, 12:44 AM
I bought a used Shorty Windshield from a member here and am very pleased with it. I use it all the way down when riding by myself and all the way up when my wife is on with me. I like having the extra air on me during the summer. I don't find any real buffeting issues on my head, but some people on here would question my sanity anyways because of my riding attire in the summer. I kept my standard windshield to change back to when it gets colder. Try the shorty and see how it does, you may like it.

MykLyks
07-06-2016, 01:48 PM
Thanks to all for the advice and information! I found out the 2014 :spyder2: RT LTD is under warranty until 09/2017. It's also 2 hours closer to home than the RT SS was. I pick it up this Friday. It has just over 2,000 miles on it. The dealer just gave it a service (oil change and check up). I checked the VIN and no outstanding recalls on it. I can't wait for the weekend to start ryding!