PDA

View Full Version : Dumb spare tire for Spyder trailer question.....

Windagetray
07-04-2016, 07:48 PM
So, many folks on here who have a trailer to pull behind their Spyders (usually the RT 622 trailer) seem to gravitate toward carrying a spare tire for said trailer. My question is, IF you had the ability to carry around an extra tire on a rim, wouldn't it be more wise to carry a FRONT Spyder tire? I mean.... if you flat a trailer tire, you can take it with you on your good Spyder tires to a shop and bring it back ready to go. If you carry a trailer tire but blow a front Spyder tire you are pretty much S.O.L.?? If you carry a front tire for your Spyder, you have a 2/3 chance of being able to keep going should you have a blow-out on your machine. I know they are "directional" but, that only REALLY matters in the rain and you still have a 50% chance of getting that right. So....dumb question....why should I carry a spare tire for my trailer as opposed to a front Spyder tire?

Just wondering...as I'm a new trailer puller.....

Mike

Copperman
07-04-2016, 07:58 PM
I like to live on the edge! I don't carry an extra tire.

Cruzr Joe
07-04-2016, 08:18 PM
as a rule i do not carry a spare tire even when pulling my trailer, i do carry a tire repair kit and a small air compressor

Chupaca
07-04-2016, 08:25 PM
I have noticed that most do not carry a spare tire just a way to plug it.... Front tire and the trailer tire would also require some way to lift one or the other. Well tailer not so much if not solo...:roflblack: then there is the extra space and the weight involved with the front tire. I just carry a plug kit with air supply....:thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-04-2016, 09:48 PM
So, many folks on here who have a trailer to pull behind their Spyders (usually the RT 622 trailer) seem to gravitate toward carrying a spare tire for said trailer. My question is, IF you had the ability to carry around an extra tire on a rim, wouldn't it be more wise to carry a FRONT Spyder tire? I mean.... if you flat a trailer tire, you can take it with you on your good Spyder tires to a shop and bring it back ready to go. If you carry a trailer tire but blow a front Spyder tire you are pretty much S.O.L.?? If you carry a front tire for your Spyder, you have a 2/3 chance of being able to keep going should you have a blow-out on your machine. I know they are "directional" but, that only REALLY matters in the rain and you still have a 50% chance of getting that right. So....dumb question....why should I carry a spare tire for my trailer as opposed to a front Spyder tire?

Just wondering...as I'm a new trailer puller.....

Mike
Answer .....where / how ..could this even be done ???? ....Mike :thumbup:

PW2013STL
07-04-2016, 09:54 PM
as a rule i do not carry a spare tire even when pulling my trailer, i do carry a tire repair kit and a small air compressor

Same here.

SpyderAnn01
07-05-2016, 11:38 AM
Get yourself a good mini compressor like the one I have from Aerostitch.com and a tire patch kit and you will be good to go. Of all the tires, the trailer tire is probably the one that you would be able to find a replacement for in stock at someplace like Discount Tire.

Windagetray
07-05-2016, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the replies. There are many who carry spare trailer tires and I'm waiting to hear why that is a good idea from one of them. This past weekend was the first time I hitched up my trailer and .....I LOVE having it along! (my wife does too as she rides along thinking of ways to FILL IT!!) So far the most logical thing I've heard is carry a patch kit and air source. Anyone have any experience with "ride-on"? I put it in my new rear tire this past week in lieu of adding weights/balancing. I love the balancing properties but wonder how well and how fast it would repair a puncture.

Bob Denman
07-05-2016, 12:14 PM
Like the song says:
"Take a walk on the WILD side." :D

Windagetray
07-05-2016, 09:15 PM
I HAVE been walking on the WILD side but, I'm a believer in not "planning to fail". "Be Prepared"... it's a Boy Scout thing I've not been willing to shake.

Like the song says:
"Take a walk on the WILD side." :D

SpyderAnn01
07-05-2016, 09:19 PM
I used to put RideOn in all my tires but I had a flat once in the trailer and tge RideOn didn't do anything - and no it wasn't a sidewall puncture.

I really wouldn't worry so much about flat tires if I were you.

Windagetray
07-05-2016, 09:27 PM
I'm not sure which "this" you are speaking of but if you are referring the carrying of said spare tire, poke around here on some of the RT 622 threads and you will see what I'm talking about. It CAN be done which lead me to my question. WHY would you want to?

Answer .....where / how ..could this even be done ???? ....Mike :thumbup:

Windagetray
07-06-2016, 08:12 AM
Well, I'm not too happy hearing that the ride-on didn't work for you. But, probably not as un-happy as you were to have had that happen.

I'm not really worried about a flat so much as curious why folk who carry a spare in their trailers, take up that space to carry a spare for the trailer as opposed to a spare for the Spyder!

I used to put RideOn in all my tires but I had a flat once in the trailer and tge RideOn didn't do anything - and no it wasn't a sidewall puncture.

I really wouldn't worry so much about flat tires if I were you.

murphybrown
07-06-2016, 08:30 AM
and going to travel without my spare mounted tire in trailer. First time....I had the 622 from HELL....literally ate tires every 500 miles...so I always had a spare. BUT BRP fixed it good as new over a year ago. I have over 15k on my 622 OEM tires since BRP ok'd dealer to replace frame...but was just a little paranoid so kept dragging it along. I have jack, repair kit, compressor, mojo and voodoo dolls...what else do I need???? Soooooo this is the big test can I travel with joy and peace without that spare tucked in my 622..:yikes::yikes:..hey no biggie...WalMarts are everywhere and they handle that size tire...ask me I know from experience...have a great day. Beautiful day to ryde but I'm packing!!!!:yes::yes:

jaherbst
07-06-2016, 10:13 AM
Since I have a spare mounted on a rim with a new BRP cover I carry it. If you do have a flat the trailer tire would be the last one you would detect thus usually ruining the tire. In the Southwest a lot of the areas we travel do not have a place where you could replace a tire for hundreds of miles.

I never pack the trailer so full that room for the tire is a problem anyway.

Besides I just Love the way that the fancy BRP spare tire cover looks!:D

As the old say goes, "never leave home without it"! ( if you've got it use it)

​Jack

Windagetray
07-06-2016, 11:55 PM
You all carry spare trailer tires because they are more problematic than the front Spyder tires? ...even though it seems more logical to carry a front Spyder tire?

You carry a trailer tire and a trailer tire blows, you change tire and go on your way.
You carry a trailer tire and a front Spyder tire blows, you are stuck where you are until your Spyder and trailer can be towed.

You carry a front Spyder tire and blow a front Spyder tire, you change the tire and go on your way.
You carry a front Spyder tire and blow a trailer tire, you unhook, and ride your Spyder to get help or take the wheel with you and return ready to go.

What am I missing?

Bfromla
07-07-2016, 12:41 AM
:agree: Way to go & I got my trailer from him:firstplace::b2b: , curious tho what good you think carrying 1front spare will do? #1 hardly anyone has the right size equipment to change the tires from rim (odd hub size) & #2 they are directional , so odd are the tire that will need replacing will Not be the same directionality as the spare you may have on hand:banghead::banghead::barf:. Plug kit & compressor can cover you in either case & take up less space,with less weight:2thumbs: Also suggest you look into the roadside assistance coverage, as some do not cover towing trailer too:banghead: Have heard few bad remarks as people dont find out till tow truck is on sight:mad:

Bam Bam and Pebbles
07-07-2016, 02:46 AM
You all carry spare trailer tires because they are more problematic than the front Spyder tires? ...even though it seems more logical to carry a front Spyder tire?

You carry a trailer tire and a trailer tire blows, you change tire and go on your way.
You carry a trailer tire and a front Spyder tire blows, you are stuck where you are until your Spyder and trailer can be towed.

You carry a front Spyder tire and blow a front Spyder tire, you change the tire and go on your way.
You carry a front Spyder tire and blow a trailer tire, you unhook, and ride your Spyder to get help or take the wheel with you and return ready to go.

What am I missing?

At the risk of sounding stupid, using your logic that carrying a spare front Spyder tire will save your a*# more than carrying a spare trailer tire, you don't seem to have the possibility of having a rear Spyder tire blow out accounted for. As crappy as the rear Kenda's are, this seems to be the more likely occurrence of a tire failing to me. Which means you should carry a rear spare, and a front spare, just in case. With all of that to carry, it looks like pulling 2 trailers are necessary. Or am I just missing something? :dontknow:

PrairieSpyder
07-07-2016, 09:25 AM
I never carried a spare trailer (or Spyder) tire until I prepared to ryde North to Alaska last summer. I bought a spare mounted trailer tire and hauled it all the way there and back and sold it with the trailer. Worst investment I ever made.

SpyderAnn01
07-07-2016, 11:43 AM
Don't waste your money on a spare tire.