PDA

View Full Version : Octane - no 87, so alternating between 93 and 89... thoughts?

sandeejs
07-02-2016, 07:02 PM
So, the manual says octane 91 or higher. Can't usually find 91 octane around here, so I decided to alternate 89 and 93. Does that make sense? My reasoning is that I almost never go below 3 gallons (6 gallon tank, allegedly), so that alternating between 93 and 89 will result in 91. What is the wisdom of the list?
Thanks in advance!:dontknow:
~Sandee~

fatboy
07-02-2016, 07:11 PM
just use the 93 its only 75 cent

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-02-2016, 07:19 PM
That won't end up as the result you are thinking it will.......You will burn the 89 .....then the 93.....then the 89 .... then the 93 etc. ......If you went into the gas station with an almost empty tank and first put in 93 @ 2.5 gal. then switched to 89 until full .....into YOUR tank that would be mixing and yes it would work...............I have the 1330 engine in my 14 RT and have only used 87 with Startron added ( negates Ethyl so it claims ? ) ....and I have told many many times by folks here that I can't do this etc.......But I am avg. between 40 - 42 mpg depending on the geography of the roads and speeds I drive at........Hope this helps ..................Mike :thumbup:

jcthorne
07-02-2016, 07:23 PM
Just use the 93. The 91 is a minimum requirement, there is no downside to using 93 if 91 is not sold in your area. Consider yourself lucky. Many would love to have the 93 in their area for other vehicles that really need it.

bigbadbrucie
07-02-2016, 07:40 PM
Going through that exercise of 89, 93, 89, 93.....how much, over the year do you really think yore saving? I also subscribe to the idea of using only 93. I go one step further and only use non-ethanol gas, if at all possible. Spyder's running great.....'cause I'm spoiling it, and she's like most females.....she loves being spoiled. (Golly I hope I don't catch hades for that statement).:yikes:

SteveP
07-02-2016, 09:14 PM
Just use the 93. The 91 is a minimum requirement, there is no downside to using 93 if 91 is not sold in your area. Consider yourself lucky. Many would love to have the 93 in their area for other vehicles that really need it.

:agree::agree:I use Shell V-Power 91 if possible but the Esso 93 works well also ... Petrocan (Sunoco) 91 if I have to . I have used Ultra 94 as well but not much difference to justify the extra 20 cents a litre here .

Bob Denman
07-02-2016, 09:26 PM
Use the 93 octane... nojoke
How much money do you actually save, by running the cheaper fuel at every other stop?
Is it really worth it??? :dontknow:

kbwitt
07-02-2016, 10:30 PM
I use the lowest octane, was told it has less ethanol init than higher octane. Plus some stations sell very little of high octane so it might be old enough to be stale.. i do add seafoam.
I am not talking with authority just what makes sence to me and seems to work in my 1330
Kenn

Chupaca
07-02-2016, 10:44 PM
Either way..trying to average 91 or save a buck...I always go with the highest octane I can get...:thumbup:

jcthorne
07-03-2016, 04:54 AM
I use the lowest octane, was told it has less ethanol init than higher octane. Plus some stations sell very little of high octane so it might be old enough to be stale.. i do add seafoam.
I am not talking with authority just what makes sence to me and seems to work in my 1330
Kenn

The 1330 engine and fuel system is designed to run E-10. IE up to 10% ethanol.

What it is NOT designed for is running 87 octane. The 91 octane is a minimum requirement. Yes the engine controls has knock sensor and the engine will protect itself when lower octane is used but WILL cause troubles long term. The lower octane makes the engine significantly reduce timing which lowers performance and results in less complete combustion and higher exhaust temperatures. Its a high compression engine and requires the higher octane. THe minimum requirement is right on the certification label on the bike.

Ex Winger
07-03-2016, 05:14 AM
I always use 91 unless i can,t get it and thats not often.Had to use 87 once and could hear a slight ping on accel.For the price difference use the best you can.
Bill

Bob Denman
07-03-2016, 07:48 AM

What it is NOT designed for is running 87 octane... ...Its a high compression engine and requires the higher octane. THe minimum requirement is right on the certification label on the bike.

:agree: That slug (the piston...), is putting a 12:1 squeeze on the fuel... :shocked:

SteveP
07-03-2016, 09:45 AM
:agree: That slug (the piston...), is putting a 12:1 squeeze on the fuel... :shocked:

Thank you Bob , for those who don't understand the physics and chemistry behind the recommendations of the engineers why not just use what they specify ?:gaah:

dslim
07-03-2016, 10:32 AM
We found several places in South Dakota and Wyoming last week that didn't have premium. Only 85 and 87 octane, lots of times straight 87 or 87 with ethanol at the same stations?

kbwitt
07-03-2016, 10:39 AM

What it is NOT designed for is running 87 octane. The 91 octane is a minimum requirement. Yes the engine controls has knock sensor and the engine will protect itself when lower octane is used but WILL cause troubles long term. The lower octane makes the engine significantly reduce timing which lowers performance and results in less complete combustion and higher exhaust temperatures. Its a high compression engine and requires the higher octane. THe minimum requirement is right on the certification label on the bike.

Hi thanks for the info. do you know what is worst using 87 octane or fuel with higher than 10% ethanol lets say 15%?

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-03-2016, 11:03 AM
Hi thanks for the info. do you know what is worst using 87 octane or fuel with higher than 10% ethanol lets say 15%?
I wouldn't use 15% unless it was life or death.....almost....in an emergency use as little as possible until you can fill-up with the correct kind...................I use 87 octane all the time and yes I have been warned, but my 1330 still avg's 40 to 42 mpg with Startron added ......Mike

Dan McNally
07-03-2016, 12:05 PM
Never, ever, use E85 in your engine. Read your manual.

ARtraveler
07-03-2016, 12:08 PM
Answers all across the board. One of the few subjects where there will be no total agreement.

No ethanol in Alaska gas. Usually three grades available. 87, 89, 91. If you go into the bush--you may find only 87 decanted from a 55 gal drum or similar.

I usually use the highest octane available. When I have used "lesser," the :ani29: does not seem to run as "peppy." Is it me, or is it psychological?

The difference in price here is usually 10 cents per gallon, per grade. Unless you go to Shell, they are 20 cents per gallon different per grade--and they start at the same price as the other stations. Have not used Shell for a couple years now. Wont pay 20 cents a gallon more for gas that all comes from the same refinery.

jaherbst
07-03-2016, 12:25 PM
Let me see here. I will have to add this Octane thing to my list just below Tires, Oil, and Loud Speaker

music in town. Hard to keep up. On occasion I use 100 octane aviation fuel when I am at the airport and

running low. Hard to keep all the wheels on the ground at the same time though! :joke:

​Jack

robmorg
07-03-2016, 01:10 PM
On occasion I use 100 octane aviation fuel when I am at the airport and

running low. Hard to keep all the wheels on the ground at the same time though! :joke:

​Jack

:agree:

Jack, I wasn't even gonna open this thread until I noticed that you were the last to post to it (before me) and I just had to see what "words of wisdom" you had to add to this discussion. ;)

Actually, running 100LL in the spyder would probably make it run great (especially since it contains no ethanol), and also enable better fuel economy as well. ...although, at the price of aviation fuel, "economy" is probably the wrong word there.

Bob Denman
07-03-2016, 02:05 PM
On occasion I use 100 octane aviation fuel when I am at the airport and running low. Hard to keep all the wheels on the ground at the same time though! :joke:Jack
As long as the Flight Attendants keep bringing you fresh bags of peanuts: keep using it! :2thumbs:

chillicpl
07-03-2016, 06:27 PM
I usually burn Chevron's 94 octane in my 2014 RT because it has no ethanol and it just feels like it runs better? i've run a couple tanks of 91 from Superstore (also ethanol free) but who knows where they buy it from, how old it is and it doesn't feel as good as the Chevron.

Whether Star-tron does any good or not by the time you add the cost of that wouldn't it be the same as buying a higher octane w/out ethanol?

IMHO a buck or 2 difference added to the cost of a tank to run the higher octane is not a deterrent, i'd rather run what the gods at BRP recommend, just as long as i can keep that nasty ethanol out of the tank!

Cheers and ride safe!
Bruce

bigbadbrucie
07-03-2016, 07:17 PM
I usually burn Chevron's 94 octane in my 2014 RT because it has no ethanol and it just feels like it runs better? i've run a couple tanks of 91 from Superstore (also ethanol free) but who knows where they buy it from, how old it is and it doesn't feel as good as the Chevron.

Whether Star-tron does any good or not by the time you add the cost of that wouldn't it be the same as buying a higher octane w/out ethanol?

IMHO a buck or 2 difference added to the cost of a tank to run the higher octane is not a deterrent, i'd rather run what the gods at BRP recommend, just as long as i can keep that nasty ethanol out of the tank!

Cheers and ride safe!
Bruce

I also use Chevron 94, and I also run a '14 RT-S, and I also live in the 'wack, and........guess what my name is? Bruce

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-03-2016, 07:32 PM

Cheers and ride safe!
Bruce
Ethanol - FREE is almost un-heard on in Vermont....You would actually have to make that your destination for the days ride to get it......So that's why I use the Startron......I use the Marine Formula ....buy pints or quarts on-line .....and if you add to gas according to directions a $13.00 Pint will last 2 yrs., so it's not really expensive. The difference between 87 and 91 ( 93 is hard to find also ) is .50 to .60 per gallon now ......Two years ago it was .90 ...........just sayin......Mike :thumbup:

jaherbst
07-03-2016, 09:11 PM

Jack, I wasn't even gonna open this thread until I noticed that you were the last to post to it (before me) and I just had to see what "words of wisdom" you had to add to this discussion. ;)

Actually, running 100LL in the spyder would probably make it run great (especially since it contains no ethanol), and also enable better fuel economy as well. ...although, at the price of aviation fuel, "economy" is probably the wrong word there.

.Probably run 4-5 tanks full of 100 in the Spyder. Runs the same as 91 but you are right about the cost.

Right now it is only $4.85 down from $5.95 a gallon. I only use it in a pinch. I have recently been keeping

it at the hanger. I bought a new toy hauler that has a fueling station for toys and keep 30 gallons of 91 in

it. To keep the fuel fresh I have started to use it to fuel the Spyder and the Motorcycles at the hanger. Nice

to fuel up before departing.

​Jack

Cruzr Joe
07-03-2016, 09:33 PM
So, the manual says octane 91 or higher. Can't usually find 91 octane around here, so I decided to alternate 89 and 93. Does that make sense? My reasoning is that I almost never go below 3 gallons (6 gallon tank, allegedly), so that alternating between 93 and 89 will result in 91. What is the wisdom of the list?
Thanks in advance!:dontknow:
~Sandee~

Sorry ............................ No, that makes no sense at all, use the 93.

Cruzr Joe

tt408
07-03-2016, 11:06 PM
Let me see here. I will have to add this Octane thing to my list just below Tires, Oil, and Loud Speaker

music in town. Hard to keep up. On occasion I use 100 octane aviation fuel when I am at the airport and

​Jack

Aviation fuel has additives that is very bad for your spyder. One of those is lead which will foul up your O2 sensors.

Dan McNally
07-04-2016, 06:43 AM
Ethanol - FREE is almost un-heard on in Vermont....You would actually have to make that your destination for the days ride to get it......So that's why I use the Startron......I use the Marine Formula ....buy pints or quarts on-line .....and if you add to gas according to directions a $13.00 Pint will last 2 yrs., so it's not really expensive. The difference between 87 and 91 ( 93 is hard to find also ) is .50 to .60 per gallon now ......Two years ago it was .90 ...........just sayin......Mike :thumbup:
The Stewart's locations in NY offer 91 Octane Ethanol Free gas - don't they offer it in Vermont, as well?

Bob Denman
07-04-2016, 07:02 AM

Hi Mike,
You might have some luck, if you look for it around any areas where there's a marina. Watercraft hates the stuff worse than we do!
So do snowmobiles! Ask a snowmobile dealer if he (or she) has any suggestions...:thumbup:

jcthorne
07-04-2016, 07:22 AM

Do not, EVER use fuel with more than 10% ethanol in the Spyder. There is nowhere in the country where E15 is the only fuel available. Its a niche product that very few vehicles are set up to run.

Bob Denman
07-04-2016, 07:26 AM
:agree: If you find it: you might be best -served, by telling the Station manager that you'll won't be stopping in there again. If they use the same nozzle to dispense ALL fuel: you surely don't want any of the :cus: getting NEAR your Spyder! nojoke
Market pressures, do make a difference! :thumbup:

robmorg
07-04-2016, 08:26 AM
If you find it [E15 fuel]: you might be best -served, by telling the Station manager that you'll won't be stopping in there again. If they use the same nozzle to dispense ALL fuel: you surely don't want any of the :cus: getting NEAR your Spyder! nojoke
Market pressures, do make a difference! :thumbup:

I use the same strategy on restaurant owners who serve brussel sprouts! :shocked:

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-04-2016, 08:56 AM
Hi Mike,
You might have some luck, if you look for it around any areas where there's a marina. Watercraft hates the stuff worse than we do!
So do snowmobiles! Ask a snowmobile dealer if he (or she) has any suggestions...:thumbup:
Bob, Is your primary reason for going for a Ride ...........searching for Ethanol Free gas .......... I doubt it ......so why would it be mine !!!............It would be nice if it was widely available but it isn't........My lawn mower - NEEDS IT ......My Spyder only - LIKES IT .................Mike :thumbup::thumbup:

cognaccruiser
07-04-2016, 10:44 AM

I use the same strategy on restaurant owners who serve brussel sprouts! :shocked:

Aw, then perhaps you have only been subjected to the :cus: that you get in the grocery stores. We used to grow our own when we had a garden and the difference is night and day.
Then again, maybe you would still hate them. ;) :D

Gary

Bob Denman
07-04-2016, 12:09 PM
Bob, Is your primary reason for going for a Ride ...........searching for Ethanol Free gas .......... I doubt it ......so why would it be mine !!!............It would be nice if it was widely available but it isn't........My lawn mower - NEEDS IT ......My Spyder only - LIKES IT .................Mike :thumbup::thumbup:

:D Not at all... :thumbup:
My bike lives on a steady diet of "10% corn"...
But if you're adding StarTron to your bike to combat it: I thought that I could save you some money! nojoke

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-04-2016, 12:23 PM
:D Not at all... :thumbup:
My bike lives on a steady diet of "10% corn"...
But if you're adding StarTron to your bike to combat it: I thought that I could save you some money! nojoke
The Start Tron is peanuts compared to the much higher cost of the Ethyl - Free ( just the product ) and the addition of traveling to get it .......makes it ridiculous to even consider it..............Paul ( aka PMK ) told me the chemicals in Star Tron should = 1 Octane point plus whatever Ethyl it negates......... Mike :thumbup:

Bob Denman
07-04-2016, 12:47 PM

:2thumbs:

Tango
07-04-2016, 07:05 PM
Have been running 91 octane pure gas. 700 miles. Last 2 tanks were 40mpg.. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

wd8ajj
07-04-2016, 08:38 PM
I burn 87 as a rule and get 40+ mpg. never saw any diff with 91 other than .50 more a gallon.

Bob Denman
07-05-2016, 07:06 AM
I burn 87 as a rule and get 40+ mpg. never saw any diff with 91 other than .50 more a gallon.

But what are you riding? :dontknow: I don't see any mention of your bike anywhere...

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-05-2016, 11:06 AM
But what are you riding? :dontknow: I don't see any mention of your bike anywhere...
He has an 2014 RT - S....... Mike :thumbup:

Bob Denman
07-05-2016, 11:08 AM
Thanks! I didn't see that.
In that case: use 91 octane.........

...unless you don't want to! :D

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-05-2016, 11:29 AM
Thanks! I didn't see that.
In that case: use 91 octane.........

...unless you don't want to! :D
Well there was nothing to see, .......in His history He mentioned He owned that model.......:thumbup::thumbup:

Bob Denman
07-05-2016, 11:31 AM
I'm going in to get looked-over for some new glasses on the 12th: HONEST! :shocked:

:D

These dang bikes will pretty much run on whatever they can get to burn. The computer will do it's dead-level best, to try and prevent anything ugly from happening. nojoke
But if you want your bike to run as well as it possible can: use the fuel that they recommend. :thumbup:

jcthorne
07-05-2016, 11:36 AM

You may not see it but your engine sure does. Compression and octane ratings are not myths perpetrated to take money away from you.

sandeejs
07-05-2016, 11:37 AM
So the wisdom of the list is that my great idea is not so great. I'll not post a picture of the cure modification I made to show me which octanes turn it was. :(
~Sandee~