PDA

View Full Version : Brake Fluid Reservoirs

Pampurrs
06-25-2016, 07:00 PM
I just changed my brake pads, and had to syringe some of the brake fluid out of the reservoirs (I had added a little when the pads were thin and the levels went down).

Does anybody besides me find it weird that the fore reservoir is for the rear brake, and the aft reservoir is for the front brakes? Illogical design IMHO. Or maybe I'm overlooking some perfectly sound technical reason? :dontknow:

Pam

Sam Mac
06-25-2016, 07:42 PM
Sounds like standard BRP design, why would you expect it to be logical? That said it probably has something to do with braking priority. My guess is the fronts probably do more of the braking and that the brake balance has to send more fluid to the fronts. Guess you'll just have to deal with it.

Pampurrs
06-25-2016, 07:46 PM
<snip> My guess is the fronts probably do more of the braking.

Which may explain why after 21,500 miles the front pads were toast, and the rear pads still had some life left ;)

Pam

Grandpot
06-25-2016, 08:12 PM
It's a Spyder thing.

Koop
06-25-2016, 08:34 PM
Which may explain why after 21,500 miles the front pads were toast, and the rear pads still had some life left ;)

Pam

Typically the front brakes handle 70% of the braking power. But that doesn't explain why the rear reservoir supplies the front brake calipers.

Pampurrs
06-25-2016, 09:04 PM
It's a Spyder thing.

:roflblack::roflblack:

billybovine
06-25-2016, 09:39 PM
The front reservoir is for the front brakes and the rear is for the rear brake. The service manual is incorrect. It has been for years. The 2013 manual has a picture that is correct but the wording that goes with it is wrong.

Pampurrs
06-25-2016, 09:42 PM
The front reservoir is for the front brakes and the rear is for the rear brake. The service manual is incorrect. It has been for years. The 2013 manual has a picture that is correct but the wording that goes with it is wrong.

I got this info out of the Green Manual. Is that incorrect also?

Pam

billybovine
06-25-2016, 09:44 PM
Yep.

Pampurrs
06-25-2016, 09:47 PM
Yep.

That's good to know. This was really pretty weird. Thanks BillyBovine! :bowdown:

Pam

cptjam
06-25-2016, 10:38 PM
All done with the brake job? Sweet! Joe

Pampurrs
06-25-2016, 10:45 PM
All done with the brake job? Sweet! Joe

Yeah, the rear is a major pain in the rear....... pardon the pun.
Thanks for all your coaching Joe. I couldn't have done it without you! You are most awesome! :bowdown:

Pam

Pampurrs
06-25-2016, 10:54 PM
While I was under the fenders, I also installed the TricLED fender lights :dg1:

Chupaca
06-25-2016, 11:15 PM
I got this info out of the Green Manual. Is that incorrect also?

Pam

I believe the green manuals are just scaned copies of the BRP manual. :gaah:does have some extras....:thumbup:

Pampurrs
06-25-2016, 11:20 PM
I believe the green manuals are just scaned copies of the BRP manual. :gaah:does have some extras....:thumbup:

Yeah, it has a LOT more than the user manual. More technical stuff. The user manual tells you how to turn the radio on. The Green Manual tells you how to take the radio apart (I'm speaking metaphorically of course) :D

Pam

KX5062
06-26-2016, 11:10 AM

Maybe on yours, but on my 2014RT the rear reservoir is most definitely the front brakes. I just did a brake job, including a flush, so there's no doubt on my bike. :thumbup:

jcthorne
06-26-2016, 11:26 AM
I just changed my brake pads, and had to syringe some of the brake fluid out of the reservoirs (I had added a little when the pads were thin and the levels went down).

Does anybody besides me find it weird that the fore reservoir is for the rear brake, and the aft reservoir is for the front brakes? Illogical design IMHO. Or maybe I'm overlooking some perfectly sound technical reason? :dontknow:

Pam

Its the same on most cars. Reason is the bore for the rear brake section of the master cylinder on many vehicles is smaller that that for the front brakes. The piston is inserted from the rear of the master cylinder.

billybovine
06-26-2016, 03:32 PM
Well I had that wrong and for a while. Traced the plumbing and yes the front reservoir is for the rear brake and vise versa. I have the 2010 GS/RS service manual and the 2013 all models service manual. In both of them sometimes refer the front and brake fluid reservoir by the orientation in the Spyder. Other times by the system they are for. I should have known better. Most other vehicles are that way so why should the Spyder be different. Sorry.