PDA

View Full Version : brake failure light

Jimmy Neutron
03-16-2009, 07:19 AM
I was riding Sunday and after about 30 miles my brake Failure light came on. Brakes still funtion okay. I stop and vistied some friends and shut machine off. After staring machine back up notice never came on again. Any ideas?

zzneonzz
03-16-2009, 07:33 AM
I was riding Sunday and after about 30 miles my brake Failure light came on. Brakes still funtion okay. I stop and vistied some friends and shut machine off. After staring machine back up notice never came on again. Any ideas?

Low Brake fluid or possibly loose Cap would be the first things i would check.

LittleJohn
03-16-2009, 07:53 AM

Mine has been doing this too, especially when stopping or going downhill. I have found twice now (wanted to verify that servicing was correct to start with) that when it happens, the brake fluid has somehow been transferribng from the front master to the back. The front was low, allowing the float sw in it to activate when I went downhill or applied brakes, and the rear was overfull. A little siphoning with a straw got me back on the road, and I will let them research it and look at it at the dealer. Its gotta be transferring through a portioning valve or something in the system.
Ill let you know what I / the dealer find.

bjt
03-16-2009, 08:12 AM
I'll add a +1 to the low brake fluid ideas. I had the same thing happen to me once and when I got home, I checked the brake fluid reservoirs under the seat. They both looked like they had plenty of fluid but on close inspection, the front reservoir was just a touch below the full line. I added fluid to get the level up to full and I haven't seen the brake warning message since.

Jimmy Neutron
03-16-2009, 08:15 AM
thanks that sounds right Iwas going up and down some steep driveways..