PDA

View Full Version : Tentative Spyder Ryde..Weather Permitting

dltang
03-15-2009, 06:52 PM
Hello everyone,
April 17-19 bjt and I are talking about a ride over to Niagara Falls, Ontario. This is nothing fancy, we are planning on staying in a cheap, clean Travelodge about 4 miles from the Falls area. It's about the ride anyway. Director has offered to be our guide through Ontario staying off the main highways and taking the scenic route. We will enter Canada at the Port Huron/Sarnia border. This is all if the weather stays decent and we don't get snow that weekend. It is one thing to ride to work and back in the cold but I don't want to be in the 20-30 degree weather for 5 hours. If anyone is interested in joining us for any part of the ride, you are more than welcome, or meeting us in Niagara Falls just to get together. I will keep you all posted as we get closer to the date and get weather updates. Looking forward to a great riding season.

Roaddog2
03-15-2009, 06:55 PM
The falls are great :2thumbs:

jeuchler
03-15-2009, 07:27 PM
Hello everyone,
April 17-19 bjt and I are talking about a ride over to Niagara Falls, Ontario. This is nothing fancy, we are planning on staying in a cheap, clean Travelodge about 4 miles from the Falls area. It's about the ride anyway. Director has offered to be our guide through Ontario staying off the main highways and taking the scenic route. We will enter Canada at the Port Huron/Sarnia border. This is all if the weather stays decent and we don't get snow that weekend. It is one thing to ride to work and back in the cold but I don't want to be in the 20-30 degree weather for 5 hours. If anyone is interested in joining us for any part of the ride, you are more than welcome, or meeting us in Niagara Falls just to get together. I will keep you all posted as we get closer to the date and get weather updates. Looking forward to a great riding season.

Deb, Brian

We're in! :doorag:

(I just sent you a pm--forward it to Bruce if you like...)

Could you give us your specific TravelLodge info so I could see about reservations, etc?

NancysToy
03-15-2009, 08:14 PM
Have to pass...regretfully. It is just two weeks before our BMW club's annual rally, and it is a busy time, plus Nancy has to work and there is no vacation for teachers. Too bad, it could have been the honeymoon we never had. :D
-Scotty

jeuchler
03-15-2009, 08:24 PM
Have to pass...regretfully. It is just two weeks before our BMW club's annual rally, and it is a busy time, plus Nancy has to work and there is no vacation for teachers. Too bad, it could have been the honeymoon we never had. :D
-Scotty

Sorry about that, Scotty...(Wait--Sorry?! He's putting BMW loyalty above BRP loyalty???)

Anyhoo, maybe some of our NY/MA/CT spyderlovers would like to join us in the ride west to meet those coming south and east??:doorag::chat:

Roaddog2
03-15-2009, 08:26 PM
-ScottyScotty me and HDX are toyin with the idea of doing some camping and riding in Michigan this summer and perhaps checking out your Tricycle will keep you posted. also BJT and DLTANG when things firm up :spyder:The falls sounds great but save the days when the shop starts getting real hot.

Star Cruiser
03-15-2009, 08:32 PM
You will love the trip. Weather will most likely be alright during the daytime, but get kind of cool in the evening.
I would have met you guys at the falls, but i will be in Collingwood (Ontario) at a convention that weekend. If it gets moved for any reason, keep us posted, I'd really like to hook up with you guys.

dltang
03-15-2009, 08:40 PM
Here is a link to the Travelodge we will be booking. The rates are good and the reviews say it is clean and friendly. http://www.travelodge.com/Travelodge/control/Booking/check_avail?brandCode=TL%2CMQ%2CDI%2CHJ%2CKG%2CRA% 2CSE%2CBU&searchWithinMiles=25&checkInDate=4%2F17&checkOutDate=4%2F19&propBrandId=TL&p_amonth=4&p_aday=17&p_ayear=09&p_dmonth=4&p_dday=19&p_dyear=09&numberAdults=2&numberChildren=0&numberRooms=1&promotionCode=&rate=000&as_state=ON&as_city=Niagara+Falls&caller=arr&as_type=ADV&brand_code=TL&p_pid=09780&searchDesc=Niagara+Falls%2C+ON&thumbnailImage=%2FBooking%2Fimages%2F09780_t1.jpg&photoFlag=YES&otFrequentGuest=&otCorpId=&otTravelAgent=&x=89&y=5

dltang
03-16-2009, 11:11 AM
-Scotty
Come on Scotty, Nancy doesn't work on the weekends. One little weekend before your BMW rally shouldn't be that hard to fit in. You guys have earned it!! Come ride with us.

NancysToy
03-16-2009, 12:05 PM
Come on Scotty, Nancy doesn't work on the weekends. One little weekend before your BMW rally shouldn't be that hard to fit in. You guys have earned it!! Come ride with us.
She couldn't get the Friday off. Sorry. Besides, we haven't got passports, etc. for an excursion into Canada. Been waiting for the State's enhanced licenses. I guess we had better get on the ball.
-Scotty

Director
03-16-2009, 01:56 PM
She couldn't get the Friday off. Sorry. Besides, we haven't got passports, etc. for an excursion into Canada. Been waiting for the State's enhanced licenses. I guess we had better get on the ball.
-Scotty

Can't help you with the employment issue Scotty, but I can tell you that all you need at this time is photo identification and a birth certificate for ground transportation to enter the Great White North - and more importantly I'm sure - to allow you to get back home. Traveling by air is a different story, of course.

Bruce

NancysToy
03-17-2009, 08:38 AM
Can't help you with the employment issue Scotty, but I can tell you that all you need at this time is photo identification and a birth certificate for ground transportation to enter the Great White North - and more importantly I'm sure - to allow you to get back home. Traveling by air is a different story, of course.

Bruce
Thanks Bruce,
I couldn't remember the date when the birth certificate thing was to be phased out...they have changed it so much. Thought it was in April, but it turns out passports aren't needed until June 1, 2009 by land or sea. We need to get some, even though we haven't been to Canada in years. I am always uncomfortable carrying a genuine copy of my birth certificate. That could really complicate identity theft issues if it were lost or stolen.
-Scotty

jeuchler
03-18-2009, 05:54 AM
-Scotty

See, I was gonna write "C'mon Scotty! Tell Nancy to quit her job..." but then I thought that might be just a bit too much peer pressure! :joke:

Director, thanks loads for the Route 20 west recommendation (pm)--It adds a bit of time, but I'm sure it'll be a much more scenic trip. This'll be the first big trip with risers and custom-funky-re-cut-re-bent windshield, so I'd rather not commit to all highway driving 'til I see the wind effects of the shield and new riding posture seven hours at a shot.

Brian, I'm going to want to study your Givi system, so be prepared to give the sales pitch. I've been considering it since June.

Everybody that's going, remember to install your Ride On (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9505)!

NancysToy
03-18-2009, 07:49 AM
See, I was gonna write "C'mon Scotty! Tell Nancy to quit her job..." but then I thought that might be just a bit too much peer pressure! :joke:
One of us has to work until the Spyder is paid off! :D
-Scotty

NancysToy
03-27-2009, 09:09 AM
Well, at least now we have a valid reason for passing. Nancy blew out her knee last week. She can ride for only short distances...painfully. She has surgery to get a new knee the Tuesday after your journey. From that point on, riding will have to wait until after she has recovered substantially. She is bummed, but hopes it will at least get her back on the Spyder by mid-summer. Guess that honeymoon will have to wait for us...again. After 35 years, I doubt she's counting on it anyway. LOL Have a good trip. We'll be thinking of you.
-Scotty

Director
03-27-2009, 09:31 AM
Well, at least now we have a valid reason for passing. Nancy blew out her knee last week. She can ride for only short distances...painfully. She has surgery to get a new knee the Tuesday after your journey. From that point on, riding will have to wait until after she has recovered substantially. She is bummed, but hopes it will at least get her back on the Spyder by mid-summer. Guess that honeymoon will have to wait for us...again. After 35 years, I doubt she's counting on it anyway. LOL Have a good trip. We'll be thinking of you.
-Scotty

Scotty, that's a shame about Nancy's knee. It's even more of a shame that this happened right at the outset of riding season! :( I hope she will be back in the saddle soon.

Best wishes,

Bruce

NancysToy
03-27-2009, 09:40 AM
Scotty, that's a shame about Nancy's knee. It's even more of a shame that this happened right at the outset of riding season! :( I hope she will be back in the saddle soon.

Best wishes,

Bruce
Thanks for the kind wishes. She was on borrowed time, anyway. She was lucky to keep her leg in the first place, and should have had a new knee four years ago. Bad timing, but better than the middle of summer. She'll get in some riding, and should be OK for Vintage Motorcycle Days at Mid-Ohio by late July.
-Scotty

Firefly
03-27-2009, 09:50 AM
-Scotty

The Enhanced Michigan licenses won't be available until spring 2010 at the soonest according to the people at the SOS. I asked a few weeks ago when renewing my drivers license. The SOS employees are not even scheduled for training on these until fall of 2009. They will cost $45 and only work for Mexico and Canada by land or sea - not in the air. You can already get a passport card that does this for $45 from the federal government, or pay just pay $100 and get a full passport.

I personally don't see why Michigan is doing this if you can already do it with the Fed for the same price.

ataDude
03-27-2009, 11:38 AM
Nancy... best wishes on the knee surgery. Mind the docs and therapists and you'll be just dandy.

Thanks for the kind wishes. She was on borrowed time, anyway. She was lucky to keep her leg in the first place, and should have had a new knee four years ago. Bad timing, but better than the middle of summer. She'll get in some riding, and should be OK for Vintage Motorcycle Days at Mid-Ohio by late July.
-Scotty

retread
03-27-2009, 11:44 AM
Hope everything goes well with your wife's surgery, Scotty, I second ata's note about the docs and therapists, a friend of mine had a knee replaced last year, ended up in extra therapy sessions because he got impatient and was over doing it.

john

NancysToy
03-27-2009, 11:58 AM
The Enhanced Michigan licenses won't be available until spring 2010 at the soonest according to the people at the SOS. I asked a few weeks ago when renewing my drivers license. The SOS employees are not even scheduled for training on these until fall of 2009. They will cost $45 and only work for Mexico and Canada by land or sea - not in the air. You can already get a passport card that does this for $45 from the federal government, or pay just pay $100 and get a full passport.

I personally don't see why Michigan is doing this if you can already do it with the Fed for the same price.
Thanks for the info. The State said "available in the Spring", but like BRP, didn't say which Spring. :D It would have been easier and quicker to go to the SOS office, but I guess we'll send in the passport applications now. I appreciate the heads up.
-Scotty

NancysToy
03-27-2009, 12:07 PM
Nancy... best wishes on the knee surgery. Mind the docs and therapists and you'll be just dandy.

Hope everything goes well with your wife's surgery, Scotty, I second ata's note about the docs and therapists, a friend of mine had a knee replaced last year, ended up in extra therapy sessions because he got impatient and was over doing it.
Nancy and I each have long standing and close relationships with both the orthopedic surgeon and the therapists. I still workout at PT several times each week, in fact. They know we both push very hard, and they will keep her in check. Actually, the doctor already kidded her about it. He promised to have her back on the Spyder by mid-summer, though and maybe as early as June. In the meantime, I guess I will be forced to ride it for her. No sacrifice is too great! :D:D:D
-Scotty

GI Jane
03-27-2009, 12:13 PM
Wish Nancy lots of luck with the upcoming surgery. She sounds like a great lady. How chivalrous of you to ride her Spyder for her!!

FANG
03-27-2009, 12:35 PM
Give Nancy my best -- As a former rehab nurse - make sure she follows the MD and Therapists recommendations - see alot of great outcomes with the compliant patients. :thumbup:

Firefly
03-27-2009, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the info. The State said "available in the Spring", but like BRP, didn't say which Spring. :D It would have been easier and quicker to go to the SOS office, but I guess we'll send in the passport applications now. I appreciate the heads up.
-Scotty

It's really no big deal at the Post Office - only takes a few minutes and you get your Passport in about 2 weeks. I would almost guarantee you can get through your post office line quicker than the SOS line!

Must have Drivers License and REAL birth certificate (which they take and return to you later). Need two identical photos- or they can take them for you down there. Places like Meijer & Walgreens can take them too.

Here's the application you can fill out before you head down:

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/79955.pdf

dltang
03-27-2009, 12:45 PM
Tell Nancy, she better take care of herself. Knees are such a pain to heal. I had surgery but not a replacement and it still took a long time to heal. I hope she can ride soon after without injury to herself. That would be therapy alone.

NancysToy
03-27-2009, 03:31 PM
Tell Nancy, she better take care of herself. Knees are such a pain to heal. I had surgery but not a replacement and it still took a long time to heal. I hope she can ride soon after without injury to herself. That would be therapy alone.
Thanks, Deb, I'll tell her. Probably repeatedly, since she's even a worse patient than I am. :D We seem to think of these things more like colds, and expect them to heal in a few days. She is very familiar with knee surgery. I am too, for that matter. She has already had three operations on that knee. They may as well put in a zipper. I have had both knees operated on as well. Even the one arthroscopic surgery was not without some time to heal. Riding both before and after are going to pretty much depend on how much she can bend the leg. As soon as the swelling becomes manageable, she will probably be back in the saddle. Pain seems to mean little to her. I guess my being a big pain all these 35 years toughened her up. :D
-Scotty

LDFIREWORKS
03-27-2009, 03:58 PM
just ride forget the weather spyders do not srink when they get wet:thumbup::thumbup::2thumbs:

dltang
03-27-2009, 05:55 PM
just ride forget the weather spyders do not srink when they get wet:thumbup::thumbup::2thumbs:

Yeah, unless it is absolutely frigid or snowing, I think it is pretty safe to say we are going to ride. I will make my reservations on April 2nd at the Travelodge. I am pretty excited about this trip. I can't wait to get together with other spyder ryders and get the SpyderLovers banner for the next leg of it's journey.