PDA

View Full Version : Dangerous, Stupid mistake

Graptor
06-24-2016, 07:57 AM
Every once and awhile we all think that we have this motorcycle riding thing down. We are riding a Spyder and think we are inherently "safer". We start paying more attention to the clutch problem or the latest farkle we just installed instead of looking at the road in front of us. We have been driving for 35 years and this is easy.

Thank God this was just a wake up call and I didn't hurt myself or someone else. I post this as a reminder to think about what your doing. We can get hurt each and every time we start our bikes up.

https://youtu.be/vztpg2y0APQ

Dan McNally
06-24-2016, 08:02 AM
Ouch - situational awareness is all important. Hope there wasn't too much damage.

Bob Denman
06-24-2016, 08:09 AM
When you think that the Guy in front of you is going...

...and he doesn't??? :shocked:

I've seen this type of incident hundreds of times. I'm glad that the damage seems to be pretty minor. :thumbup:
It takes guts to post a mistake... I did the same thing on my GoldWing back in 1985.

bronzeflex42
06-24-2016, 08:16 AM
Glad it was just a little bump and everyone and spyder were ok. Rochester NY my hometown. Nice city!! :ohyea::ohyea:

KosherKid
06-24-2016, 08:33 AM
Glad you are okay. People don't always do what you expect.

Had the same thing happen to me on my Gold Wing but I was on the receiving end. Guy in a car thought I was going to make the turn onto the highway so he starting going knocking me into traffic. Luckily the guy in the right lane saw me and stopped before running me and the bike over. He even helped pick it up.

Ride Safe.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
06-24-2016, 08:34 AM
MY wife's subaru has the eyesight for auto braking to prevent that from happening, wish my spyder which costs the
same had it too.

Graptor
06-24-2016, 08:35 AM
No damage to the Spyder, only my sense of invincibility took a serious hit.

Bob Denman
06-24-2016, 08:40 AM
I'm glad that your bike is okay! :clap:
Hopefully; your sense of invincibility will soon return to normal! :D :thumbup:

bmwlarry
06-24-2016, 08:52 AM
I did the exact same thing in my car and was not nearly so lucky!! Cost be quite a bit of cash! Glad there was no visible damage!

Chupaca
06-24-2016, 09:09 AM
I trust no one to do the right thing. Ryding a motorcycle is a lot tougher than cars and trucks because your smaller and vehicles have a misconception of how motorcycles work. Aside from the visual and most common "I didn't see him" they seem to believe that motorcyles, like bicycles, can stop on a dime....:gaah:really glad it was a minor insident and there was little damage....

Pirate looks at --
06-24-2016, 09:22 AM
Same thing happened to me, but it was another Spyder. We were stopped at a stop sign and I was immediately behind another Spyder. She stopped and then started to enter the intersection,and then jammed on her brakes for no reason. I had begun to move forward to the stop sign, and mad the mistake to look down as I was rolling forward, looked up and saw that she had not moved on and jumped on my brake, almost threw me over the windshield, and I pailed my wife on my back rest. Learned a lesson......don't anticipate what the other driver might do, react to what the do!

ingramwc
06-24-2016, 09:59 AM
:opps: I have done that too, in my truck not on my Spyder, fortunately no contact. Makes me mad at myself for not remember my #1 Rule: Trust no one while riding or driving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cuznjohn
06-24-2016, 10:14 AM
i did the same thing with my car a few years ago, but i caused damage to the other car

Fjrwillie
06-24-2016, 10:18 AM
No damage to the Spyder, only my sense of invincibility took a serious hit.

Felt your bump in the video and in real time.

Willie

Bogie
06-24-2016, 11:03 AM
Glad everyone is OK.
It is great to have a camera recording during these types of incidents to remove any doubt as to what happened.
I was considering a "dash cam" but after seeing this it makes more sense to have a helmet cam. That will
Record my movements as well.
What type of camper do you have on your helmet?
Thank you for sharing this as a reminder to all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bogie
06-24-2016, 11:05 AM
Oops, camera, not camper.
That would be too heavy :)

ARtraveler
06-24-2016, 01:42 PM
Thank you for posting the video. Situational awareness is the cause of many accidents. Glad yours turned out okay.

A great argument once again for ATGATT. You never know "when" its going to happen. Be ready for it all the time. Drive like everyone out there is going to "get" you. Sometimes, they are. :yes:

Graptor
06-24-2016, 06:56 PM
Here is the one I have. Inexpensive, easy to use and a great picture.

Stealth 2 Sports Action Camera by Drift | Action Shot Camera Includes Universal Clip for use as POV Camera or Helmet Camera https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MCWWL0G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_cCCBxbVTYWX9H

Glad everyone is OK.
It is great to have a camera recording during these types of incidents to remove any doubt as to what happened.
I was considering a "dash cam" but after seeing this it makes more sense to have a helmet cam. That will
Record my movements as well.
What type of camper do you have on your helmet?
Thank you for sharing this as a reminder to all.

midnightbreeze50
06-27-2016, 07:25 PM
Glad your bike or you wasn't hurt, this happened to me in my F350 a month ago , but I hit her with hook in front bumper , putting softball size hole in her bumper , so easy to do , again Glad your OK, :yes::yes::yes:

Midnightbreeze50:yes::yes::yes: