PDA

View Full Version : Satellite Radio

Fi&Me
06-21-2016, 01:08 PM
Need suggestions please. I recently had satellite radio installed on my 2015 RT-S. I bought the three BRP parts (radio, wiring harness, and dongle), and had my local Can-Am dealer install them. I'm highly disappointed with the results—that's a lot of money to spend and not get much of anything. :banghead:

I have two issues: (1) the antenna lacks reception and (2) I cannot turn up the volume on my helmet's Sena 20S Bluetooth to a satisfactory level (even when the signal is strong). I can hear the music from my phone more clearly and loudly through my Bluetooth than I can with the satellite music. I don't understand why a change in source would impact my listening ability so dramatically. The satellite radio sounds fine through the bike speakers, but not my Bluetooth.

Here are my thoughts:
(1) I need a better antenna than the puck that’s installed under the trunk lid. Should I get one of those omni antennas? If so, what kind and where should I buy it? In addition, where should the omni antenna be installed? I guess it would look stupid to put right on top of the trunk where the existing puck lives.
(2) I may need an amplifier to boost the sound from the XM radio to my Bluetooth. If so what kind? Would an in-line amp work? Or do I need something more sophisticated like they’d put in a car? Where should it be located? The more details you can provide the better.

Any suggestions, links, or other information you provide would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Bob Denman
06-21-2016, 01:21 PM
As far as volume: it routes everything through the radio... The XM module is just a receiver.:dontknow:
I'm guessing that you ride two-up a lot. The passenger is often the reason why reception suffers; the puck's location I probably to blame. nojoke
If you can route something up to the front of the bike; it might be worth a shot...
Good Luck; let us know what you come up with! :thumbup:

Fi&Me
06-21-2016, 01:24 PM
I usually ride by myself. But I do live in the Seattle area--trees.

Bob Denman
06-21-2016, 01:31 PM
Then you need a chainsaw! :roflblack:
Nothing else will help! nojoke

(I live up here in the mountains, so I also learned that you can't break the laws of physics...)

garb55
06-21-2016, 01:56 PM
I live in the Sierra Nevada mountains and I have satellite radio in my Ram truck
I have driven to Yosemite and Tahoe and all over where there are forests of tall large trees
I never loose the reception unless in a tunnel
So why would you loose reception on the Spyder

Bob Denman
06-21-2016, 02:04 PM
The antenna sits under the top trunk's lid...
...Right where it can be blocked by the passenger's upper torso. :banghead:

finless
06-21-2016, 03:29 PM
(2) I may need an amplifier to boost the sound from the XM radio to my Bluetooth. If so what kind? Would an in-line amp work? Or do I need something more sophisticated like they’d put in a car? Where should it be located? The more details you can provide the better.

If you read the Sena SM10 manual you can press the button twice fast and turn on volume boost.

Bob

pegasus1300
06-21-2016, 03:32 PM
Why would you put the antenna UNDER the lid. I would think it would have a much better reception in the open. I have had a puck type antenna on my Spyder but I mounted it in the open. This is an after market radio/antenna but it works quite well. I got tired of dealing with all the wire of the antenna that came with the radio and bought one that only has 8" of antenna wire.

As to the volume,I don't think the radio volume has any affect on the Bluetooth. but you might try turning that up just for fun to see if anything happens.

spyderCodes
06-21-2016, 03:33 PM
The higher the antenna, the better the reception - in satellite radio terms this means fewer drop outs, not clarity.
There are marine antennas on poles that I suppose might work.
Do a search on ebay for Sirius Antenna

I have a small puck antenna mounted in the back and my reception rarely drops out but that may just be an accient of the topography of the roads I tend to ryde on.

I can't help you with the bluetooth.

cuznjohn
06-21-2016, 04:53 PM
this may sound stupid, but i could not hear the commands from my sena 10c camera headset, so what i did was to put something behind each helmet speaker to bring it out flush with the cheek pads of the helmet. i now hear everything loud and clear

pegasus1300
06-21-2016, 04:57 PM
I had this same problem and cured it the same way. had forgotten about this till you said something

MOSESS
06-21-2016, 05:11 PM
Thank you . you just saved me a lot of cash. I was going to do this install..

Dc8cappie
06-21-2016, 05:55 PM
Make sure the speakers are lined up with your ears. I had to move the speakers forward of where I placed them on my first install.

woodyaa
06-21-2016, 08:43 PM
Where do you find an antenna for the factory satellite radio?
I have never been able to find one with the right screw on end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigbadbrucie
06-21-2016, 09:49 PM
I installed my existing Sirius radio and installed the puck on top of the trunk. I've since moved it about 8" forward, and it now sits on the top of the passenger backrest. I've attached it with a Velcro tape strip. So far, no reception problems. I live north of you in Chilliwack, BC.

Fi&Me
06-22-2016, 11:14 AM
I appreciate everyone's comments and advice! I will try it all to see if I can improve my satellite radio experience.

Bob Denman
06-22-2016, 11:21 AM
If you were to call Sirius/XM, and ask for advice about antennas: I think that the Spyder's system is made by RadioSound.

woodyaa
06-22-2016, 07:32 PM
If you were to call Sirius/XM, and ask for advice about antennas: I think that the Spyder's system is made by RadioSound.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nakerr
06-23-2016, 10:00 AM
I live in north-central Alberta and my XM antenna is the stock one mounted in the rear trunk. Short of being right under a rock overhand or in a tree tunnel it works just fine with almost no drop offs.