PDA

View Full Version : A few Tech Product inquiries!

StealthSpyder
06-21-2016, 10:45 AM
Hey guys!

Been a while since I have visited the forums...but I have been riding Tessa with reckless abandon lately! It's summer now but I have been commuting into Kansas City MO from my Overland Park KS residence since back in March! Really feel like she is running better now than ever before, hitting her stride. She's right around 9K miles now, 2012 RSS.

At any rate...wanted to inquire about a few different products that I feel would really benefit me. I know I have researched into all of them in the past with less than stellar results for one reason or another.

#1) A good, secure way to hold my cell phone somewhere on/near the dash/handlebars. I use my phone as a GPS all the time, especially since we moved to KC about a year ago...this place is all still new. When I last looked into it a year ago or so, the suggested model was that X-grip option. But then some users said their phone had slipped out of on a hard bump :shocked::shocked: I have a Droid Turbo 2. Any new products out there that will integrate with a 2012 RSS? Or any that are now the standard solution for holding cell phones that maybe have been upgraded from previous versions where phones can't not slip out?

#2) Recommended cruise control options for a 2012 RSS? I currently have the Throttlemeister and it's been nothing but problems, and has never worked at all. From the start it didn't have enough friction and the speed would slowly bleed off. Now it doesn't work at all. Maybe a mis-install, I don't know. But I need something that works. I would ideally prefer an electronic cruise control...last time I looked into that about two years ago they were like $1K+. What are the electronic cruise options for an RSS at this time and also what are the best non electronic options these days?

#3) Any new performance mods/upgrades that have hit the market that people are getting excited about over the last year or two? I think I had gotten just about every recommended upgrade for my RSS within the first year of getting the bike. But I haven't done anything for well over 18-24 months.

This forum has always been super resourceful and engaging and helpful when it comes to discussion on these awesome machines! I look forward to hearing your thoughts. Got to say, it feels great being back on SL!! :2thumbs:

-=StealthSpyder

pitzerwm
06-21-2016, 11:35 PM
#2) Recommended cruise control options for a 2012 RSS? I currently have the Throttlemeister and it's been nothing but problems, and has never worked at all. From the start it didn't have enough friction and the speed would slowly bleed off. Now it doesn't work at all. Maybe a mis-install, I don't know. But I need something that works. I would ideally prefer an electronic cruise control...last time I looked into that about two years ago they were like $1K+. What are the electronic cruise options for an RSS at this time and also what are the best non electronic options these days?
-=StealthSpyder

I have the Throttlemaster on my 11 RSS. I haven't used it much, but I was able to "install" it so the friction was enough. It is adjustable.

I have the X-grip and use it for my radar detector, my GPS and cell phone, never had an issue with any of the 3. You could throw a large rubber band over the phone to help keep it in place. I use a tether on my dash cam as its on a suction cup on the windshield.

Bfromla
06-22-2016, 02:44 AM
Fyi my bud uses one on his VTX but has this 4way rubber band (tether)that helps keep it squeezed & hold device, think it came from ram mount but I don't know if it was seperate:dontknow: He does like it considering the crappy roads hear in LA. :popcorn:

Pat Clark
06-22-2016, 04:11 AM
Here is What I use, I bought the ram mount with the WebGrip, the WebGrip is sold separately. Works like a champ, I never worry about losing my S5
https://www.amazon.com/Ram-Mount-Universal-X-Grip-Phablet/dp/B00C7B2NV4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1466586521&sr=8-5&keywords=ram+phone+mount
https://www.amazon.com/Texel-WebGrip-Security-Support-00-90001-04/dp/B016VFC4QU/ref=sr_1_28_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1466586608&sr=8-28&keywords=ram+phone+mount
The WebGrip was cheaper on Ebay
Pat

Culpjp
06-22-2016, 05:36 AM
Rather than risk ruining my regular phone. I bought a used Samsung Galaxy S4 Active on Ebay. With the newest version of Google maps you can download a map area to your phone. This let's you use the gps, without using data on the phone. So no service is required. I just download my route before I go. The phone has a screen that is great in the sun, and the phone is water resistant. If it drops out breaks, I'm not wrecking my nicer phone. I also use the x grip with the Web grip. Seems to hold pretty tight for me. Just get the right size for your phone.

Questions
06-22-2016, 05:51 AM
I also put on a Ram X-Mount. Works great.

StealthSpyder
06-22-2016, 12:02 PM
Great responses so far guys! Looks like the X grip with the web rubber band deal is the way to go. That web holder wasn't around when I last looked into cell phone holders, so I'm glad I asked!!

Another product that I wanted to inquire about is...what are the best helmet bluetooth speaker systems nowadays? I originally went with Sena SMH5's. Pretty lousy product overall. The battery sucked...got to the point where charge it all night and it's dead within 20 mins playing music loudly. I need at least an hour of battery playback given my commute distance.

I wouldn't mind sticking with Sena if they have a newer, better, longer battery life model. It did install nicely into my helmet and does look decently sleek plus has an intuitive user interface. Price isn't really a factor if it's a badass system with good loud speakers. I'm on my bike so much, I'm willing to invest in the best.

Any suggestions?

jcthorne
06-22-2016, 12:41 PM
Sena 20S

Major improvement from prior models. Battery lasts all day even with the wife and I chatting. MUCH better sound quality and noise reduction.

pitzerwm
06-22-2016, 12:59 PM
I have a Note 3 and the web rubber thing is too small, IMO. The idea is great. I imagine that you could make one from a inner tube. Black might be ugly.

robmorg
06-22-2016, 01:51 PM
Here's the technology I use...

To hold the phone I use the TechGripper (https://www.amazon.com/Techmount-4-Techgripper-Universal-Phone-Gripper/dp/B00M063RC0?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&ref_=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_3). I like it better than the RAM X-Mount. I used to use the X-Mount, but that one doesn't work well on phones with all the buttons on the side edges near the top (like the Samsung Galaxy series). The downside of the TechGripper is that it has a somewhat proprietary mounting system that uses a 17mm ball. However, JT (a vender here (http://spyderstore.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=60)) sells a 17mm-to-1 inch adaptor to make it fit RAM mounting equipment.

i recently upgraded my Sena SMH10 headset to the new Sena 10S (http://www.sena.com/product/10s/). It has all the features that the new 20S has (see jcthorne's message above) except for some of the expanded "group ride" features (which I wouldn't use). And it costs less, is smaller, and looks better on your helmet, IMO.

My absolute favorite technology is the FOBO TPMS (http://www.fobobikesales.com/index.php?). Once you have that, it's hard to imagine NOT having it. Makes maintaining your tire pressures a piece of cake. Lamontster has become a sales agent for FOBO.

Another of my favorite upgrades (although it's not really "technology") is Motorcycle Dave's Comformax GEL-foam seat insert (http://www.motorcycledave.com/custom-seats-heaters/instructions-for-motorcycle-daves-conformax-gel-foam-seat-kit/). REALLY comfortable! This replaced my AirHawk R cushion. Dave sells one that fits the RS, too.

More information about each of these is in the "Farkles Link" in my signature below.

StealthSpyder
06-23-2016, 05:16 PM
Awesome responses guys, thanks for the info!