PDA

View Full Version : Understanding how brake lights work with a 4 flat plug.

pitzerwm
06-20-2016, 05:33 PM
Just to verify the wiring on a trailer using the 4 pin flat plug. Normal wiring color Brown is the running lights, power on anytime you turn on you light switch in your vehicle.

Green and yellow wires are the turn signals, getting power when you turn on a blinker left or right. To make the brake lights to light when brake petal pushed, the "trailer module" puts voltage on both the green and yellow wires? Is this correct?

billybovine
06-20-2016, 05:57 PM
Yes

oldgoat
06-21-2016, 09:21 AM
I did not want to spend a lot on a module after I bought my non oem trailer. The trailer was wired for a 4 pin flat plug.

I added led turn signals & put led stop/tail bulbs in the existing trailer light modules.

Fitted a 5 pin flat plug & use 2 for the turn signals, one each for the stop/tail filaments & the 5th for the ground.

Hooked then up to my '08 GS & all is well.

Thanks for the explanation, I wondered how a 4 pin worked.

pitzerwm
06-21-2016, 11:37 PM
I did not want to spend a lot on a module after I bought my non oem trailer. The trailer was wired for a 4 pin flat plug.

I added led turn signals & put led stop/tail bulbs in the existing trailer light modules.

Fitted a 5 pin flat plug & use 2 for the turn signals, one each for the stop/tail filaments & the 5th for the ground.

Hooked then up to my '08 GS & all is well.

Thanks for the explanation, I wondered how a 4 pin worked.

Sounds like you are missing the run circuit that lights the side lights and the tail lights?

oldgoat
06-22-2016, 08:51 AM
The side marker lights are wired in with the tail lights. The Spyder tail lights are on when the engine is running/ignition turned on. All is working as it should.

JayD
06-22-2016, 10:43 AM
I added turn separate turn signals oback of my trailer. I installed a two pin just to run the turn signals and a four pin for everything else.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk