PDA

View Full Version : Trailering Spyder RT-SE6

bluestratos
06-20-2016, 10:17 AM
I am building a new trailer but my fenders will rise up into the bed of the flatbed of the trailer. If I back on it will cause no issues but of course the windshield would have to be removed. Question is, if I am using the fitted cover on the bike I believe it will prevent the problems the windshield breaking for two reasons.

Aerodynamics-the cover will allow the wind to slip cleanly over the windshield
The cover reinforces the windshield when it is tied down

Has any one done this or what are your thoughts?

Thanks

Lin
06-20-2016, 10:33 AM
I am building a new trailer but my fenders will rise up into the bed of the flatbed of the trailer. If I back on it will cause no issues but of course the windshield would have to be removed. Question is, if I am using the fitted cover on the bike I believe it will prevent the problems the windshield breaking for two reasons.

Thanks
In my opinion, trailering with a cover on the Spyder will result in the cover rubbing against the body panels. Keep an eye on cargo covered with tarps on the highway the next time you travel. I think you'll see what I mean. I think you're asking for trouble. Again, just my opinion.

Lin

Chupaca
06-20-2016, 10:42 AM
On who you ask. I know many that will say the cover is a bad thing, could depend on the cover, and others who feel it is fine. Weather the cover will protect the windshield will depend on how well the cover is secured cause if it pull in the pressure will be on the shield.

some covers have a soft linning and others have rough stiching....:lecturef_smilie:

IdahoMtnSpyder
06-20-2016, 09:37 PM
You can't use a wider spacing for the wheels? How high up into the trailer will the fenders intrude? Would they be low enough so you just add ramps fore and aft and just run the Spyder wheels over them?

Removing the windshield isn't a big deal. You can probably do it in 5 minutes after some practice. I'm with the others, don't use a cover unless it is really soft on the underside and strapped down so tight there can be no flapping. But to do that would probably take more time than removing the windshield! :)

johnnyg
06-21-2016, 05:52 AM

ThanksThis is how we pull our spyders without covers. I just strap the wheels in the hooks in the floor. We took it on a 500 mi trip with no problems (DO NOT COVER YOUR SPYDER) When there was a storm with a lot of hard wind we had covered my wife's RS and the next day the windshield was scuffed up from the soft material in the cover. The windshield was a total loss. It was parked in the parking lot at a motel, just think what it can do to your paint job and windshield going down the road at 60 mph. Take it from someone that drives a 18 wheeler flat bed with tarps. Don't worry about them getting dirty, just wash them when you get there. Hope this helps. Here's a pic of our rig.

bluestratos
06-21-2016, 09:15 AM
Thanks,
I am currently looking at the design to see if I can build a work around with the fenders. I understand how simple it is to remove the windshield, done it a couple dozen times in the past.