PDA

View Full Version : New Can Am Windshield?

araignee88
03-14-2009, 09:37 PM
Does anyone know if the new Can-Am windshield is out. If so, has anyone installed one & what do you think. I have the sport windshield and seem to get a lot of wind on my chest. I keep hoping for windshield nirvana, where I have a little bubble of quiet and calm.

On windy Texas days if feels like my shirt and jacket could fly off.

If the new shield isn't out yet --any ideas when.

NancysToy
03-14-2009, 09:54 PM
Does anyone know if the new Can-Am windshield is out. If so, has anyone installed one & what do you think. I have the sport windshield and seem to get a lot of wind on my chest. I keep hoping for windshield nirvana, where I have a little bubble of quiet and calm.

On windy Texas days if feels like my shirt and jacket could fly off.

If the new shield isn't out yet --any ideas when.
They just say "Spring". Noting their rather loose timetable on everything else they do, that could be anytime in the next couple of years.
-Scotty

bone crusher
03-14-2009, 09:57 PM
They just say "Spring". Noting their rather loose timetable on everything else they do, that could be anytime in the next couple of years.
-Scotty

Too funny but true...they do take a while to get things going...if I have funds later in the year, I'll probably go with the CHAD for cooler weather riding...right now I'm just waiting for spring to get here!

Longlegs
03-15-2009, 01:00 PM
My dealer was able to put them on back order a few weeks ago. So they might be getting closer.

Spyderjuice
03-15-2009, 01:17 PM
My dealer called BRP and was told that by the end of March (maybe) they would have a better idea of when the windshield would be available. Could be four weeks, eight weeks or maybe 16 weeks after March)

So that makes it one to four months after March. Didn't ask what year.

Juice

araignee88
03-15-2009, 04:04 PM
Thanks spyder riders! I think I'll follow longlegs lead and ask my dealer to order one for me.

Happy riding--it 57 in Austin now--80 tomorrow. mmmm, this is why we live in Texas

Director
03-15-2009, 04:21 PM
-Scotty

My dealer told me last week BRP is now talking about "early May" as the release date. I now have a Calsci on the way instead. Should be here tomorrow, hopefully. :thumbup:

Bruce

ima rider
03-15-2009, 09:58 PM
My dealer was able to put my order in last week.He said I should expect to see it the end of April.:thumbup::pray:

bone crusher
03-15-2009, 11:09 PM
Whatever you guys are paying, I have a dealer who will beat the price...this is the same place I got the hindle for $430 delivered...if interested, just PM me and I'll get you the info...many here have bought hindles and other goodies from this dealership...they are far cheaper than anyone else...

Firefly
03-16-2009, 02:44 AM
Sorry, but I like to support my local dealer. If I spend all my money for Spyder extras online - what am I to do when my Spyder dealer goes out of business and I need service work done?

BRPjunkie
03-16-2009, 07:20 AM
To add fuel to the raging windshield fire, it looks like Givi is going to have a shield for the Spyder.

Lamonster
03-16-2009, 09:15 AM
To add fuel to the raging windshield fire, it looks like Givi is going to have a shield for the Spyder.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=21&pictureid=1069
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=21&pictureid=1070

BRPjunkie
03-16-2009, 09:48 AM
Looks nice sitting still. Wonder how it works? 22.5 high x 21.25 wide and $140.

irish2themax
03-16-2009, 10:04 AM
My dealer told me last week BRP is now talking about "early May" as the release date. I now have a Calsci on the way instead. Should be here tomorrow, hopefully. :thumbup:

Bruce

Sounds like they work on Irish time....2009ish :joke:

Director
03-16-2009, 10:26 AM
Sounds like they work on Irish time....2009ish :joke:

And a happy early St. Paddy's Day to ye, irish2themax! :2thumbs: I'd raise one in your honour tomorrow, but unfortunately, I gave up beer for Lent. What was I thinking of? :dontknow:

Bruce

sabunim5
03-16-2009, 04:32 PM
Sorry, but I like to support my local dealer. If I spend all my money for Spyder extras online - what am I to do when my Spyder dealer goes out of business and I need service work done?

+1

Saluda
03-17-2009, 05:04 AM
Is that a two stage tint ? Darker on the bottom, I couldn't really tell. It does look good.

irish2themax
03-17-2009, 05:52 PM
And a happy early St. Paddy's Day to ye, irish2themax! :2thumbs: I'd raise one in your honour tomorrow, but unfortunately, I gave up beer for Lent. What was I thinking of? :dontknow:

Bruce

Thanks Bruce. And what could be a better St Paddy's Day gift than my daughter giving birth to an 8 lb 3 oz baby girl....Cassandra McKenna!!

bjt
03-17-2009, 06:40 PM
Thanks Bruce. And what could be a better St Paddy's Day gift than my daughter giving birth to an 8 lb 3 oz baby girl....Cassandra McKenna!!

Congrats on the new granddaughter!!! :clap:

ataDude
03-17-2009, 08:25 PM
... And what could be a better St Paddy's Day gift than my daughter giving birth to an 8 lb 3 oz baby girl....Cassandra McKenna!!

Congrats!

Firefly
03-17-2009, 08:48 PM
The Givi shield looks pretty good for a 'big shield'. Much better than those chunk of plastic F1's !

northramp
03-17-2009, 09:08 PM
Uh OHHH..
Here we go......:pray::bdh:

Director
03-18-2009, 06:37 AM

What timing! Congratulations!:congrats:

Bruce

BRPjunkie
03-18-2009, 06:49 AM
Got tired of reading about all the choices, Calsci, F-1, Mel's, CHAD, flips, flops and cutouts and waiting (and waiting some more) for BRP Ultra Tour. Photo of Lamont with Givi and reports on other forum about quality and fit lead to my order for the Givi screen yesterday. At $135, I'm not breaking the bank to see if it is a nice compromise between looks and function.

Director
03-18-2009, 07:36 AM
Got tired of reading about all the choices, Calsci, F-1, Mel's, CHAD, flips, flops and cutouts and waiting (and waiting some more) for BRP Ultra Tour. Photo of Lamont with Givi and reports on other forum about quality and fit lead to my order for the Givi screen yesterday. At $135, I'm not breaking the bank to see if it is a nice compromise between looks and function.

BRP, I had just finished putting on my new Calsci when I saw the post the other day about the Givi. I might have gone that route as well if I had known about it in time, but I am committed to the Calsci now. I haven't tried it yet - hope to do so tomorrow. It seems like a pretty good quality screen and I like its looks, so we'll see. The Givi does look good and as you say, it is a very reasonable price. :yes: Please post on the forum how you like it after you have had a chance to give it a whirl.

Bruce

BRPjunkie
03-18-2009, 07:51 AM
BRP, I had just finished putting on my new Calsci when I saw the post the other day about the Givi. I might have gone that route as well if I had known about it in time, but I am committed to the Calsci now. I haven't tried it yet - hope to do so tomorrow. It seems like a pretty good quality screen and I like its looks, so we'll see. The Givi does look good and as you say, it is a very reasonable price. :yes: Please post on the forum how you like it after you have had a chance to give it a whirl.

Bruce

Every month there are new and better accessories available for the Spyder and that makes it harder to decide. The good news is that the aftermarket apparently believes that this is a product worth investing in. I am delighted with my Givi cases and that helped me decide to try the Givi screen. I know that they are case makers and may not be the best screen makers, but their quality is top notch. I will post my test ride results as we can never let the flames die out on the great windshield debate.

HD2CANAM
03-18-2009, 10:59 AM
[quote=BRPjunkie;80838]Got tired of reading about all the choices, Calsci, F-1, Mel's, CHAD, flips, flops and cutouts and waiting (and waiting some more) for BRP Ultra Tour.
It does get confusing, so I ordered the "Triple Seven" yesterday from Marcel. I happen to like big windshields that do what they are supposed to do. Try riding in 115 degree heat and you will see what I mean.

Firefly
03-18-2009, 11:17 AM
The F1 place should have a 'Shield of the month club' where you can just trade up for the 'newest and best' shield as they come out with some upgrade every 3-4 weeks. :D

Sure, upgrades and changes are expected, but for them to happen so often makes for customers that will not be happy they didn't wait an extra 2 weeks. They will feel way behind the times within a few months.

I think Givi, Cal-Sci and BRP have the right idea - don't put the product out on the market until you are done tweaking it - and *maybe* come out with a different version for next year. If you get a year out of a shield and then decide to get something new - that's not such a big deal.

zzneonzz
03-18-2009, 11:40 AM
Sure, upgrades and changes are expected, but for them to happen so often makes for customers that will not be happy they didn't wait an extra 2 weeks. They will feel way behind the times within a few months.

Then you have those who just keep waiting because they know that something new is coming in 2 weeks so they never buy one LOL

fastfraser
03-18-2009, 12:27 PM
Bought the Calsci have not even tried it out yet ,am all ready sorry i did not buy the Givi . Had one on my Piaggio and loved it . Top notch fit and function.:dontknow:

rleathen
03-18-2009, 12:53 PM
Director/Bruce just how does the Calsci windshield work for you ? I am interested in it too but would like some feedback from others who have it.

More specifically did you order it through a Canadian dealer or did you order it directly from Calsci. Also looking at the pictuires on the calcsi website it appears that there is a small traingular shaped hole in the windshield. Is this in fact the case and just exactly what does that hole do for the windshield.

Thanks in advance for you help.

Rob

ataDude
03-18-2009, 12:57 PM
My thoughts on the CalSci:

Clicky: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=50905&postcount=76

Director/Bruce just how does the Calsci windshield work for you ? I am interested in it too but would like some feedback from others who have it.

More specifically did you order it through a Canadian dealer or did you order it directly from Calsci. Also looking at the pictuires on the calcsi website it appears that there is a small traingular shaped hole in the windshield. Is this in fact the case and just exactly what does that hole do for the windshield.

Rob

Director
03-18-2009, 01:01 PM

Rob

Hi Rob. I just put the Calsci on my Spyder and have not tried it yet. I hope to get out tomorrow and see how it performs. I will let you know. I purchased it through my dealer (Uxbridge Motorsports Marine) just because I had already ordered a BRP Ultra Touring screen there and substituted the Calsci since the BRP screen probably won't be available until sometime in May. Otherwise, I probably would have just ordered directly from Calsci. My understanding is that the hole in the windshield is supposed to allow air to flow through the underside of the screen to reduce buffeting over the top.

I will post again once I have had the screen out in the wind to let everyone know my impressions of it. I like the way it looks on the Spyder, so I hope it works well. :thumbup:

Cheers,

Bruce

Director
03-18-2009, 01:04 PM
My thoughts on the CalSci:

Clicky: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=50905&postcount=76

Good to know, ataDude, thanks. How tall are you?

Bruce

ataDude
03-18-2009, 02:05 PM
Good to know, ataDude, thanks. How tall are you?

Bruce

5'10" and shrinking. :D

Director
03-18-2009, 02:12 PM
5'10" and shrinking. :D

Well what a coincidence - so am I - both of the above! :yes:

Tell me, is there any upside to getting older? I haven't found any yet, except maybe for cheaper hotel rooms...

FANG
03-18-2009, 02:28 PM

Did you order it online? If so what site is offering? 1st windshield i hae seen that has caught my eye.

ataDude
03-18-2009, 02:46 PM
...Tell me, is there any upside to getting older? I haven't found any yet, except maybe for cheaper hotel rooms...

<< hi-jack alert >>

1. Don't have to work (if you planned well).
2. Plenty of time for Spyder mods (including exhausts) :D
3. Plenty of time to ride.
4. No dependents.
5. Get to sleep late, when needed.
6. Get to take naps, when needed.
7. Get to come and go as you please (that works well only if you can find your way back home). :D
8. And on and on...

BRPjunkie
03-18-2009, 02:58 PM
Did you order it online? If so what site is offering? 1st windshield i hae seen that has caught my eye.

Ordered online from Sport Tour in Ohio which is where I got my Givi cases and rack. www.sporttour.com (http://www.sporttour.com). Click on Givi cases, bike fitment, Can Am, and it should show up as model D770St for $126 plus shipping.

bjt
03-18-2009, 06:31 PM
The F1 place should have a 'Shield of the month club' where you can just trade up for the 'newest and best' shield as they come out with some upgrade every 3-4 weeks. :D

I think Givi, Cal-Sci and BRP have the right idea - don't put the product out on the market until you are done tweaking it - and *maybe* come out with a different version for next year. If you get a year out of a shield and then decide to get something new - that's not such a big deal.

Then you have those who just keep waiting because they know that something new is coming in 2 weeks so they never buy one LOL

Sounds like the dilemma faced by those looking at buying a new computer. "Should I buy one now or wait a month for the newest / fastest processor, memory bump, bigger hard drive, lower price, better monitor, etc." The list goes on and on and on.... :D

bjt
03-18-2009, 06:46 PM
<< hi-jack alert >>

1. Don't have to work (if you planned well).
2. Plenty of time for Spyder mods (including exhausts) :D
3. Plenty of time to ride.
4. No dependents.
5. Get to sleep late, when needed.
6. Get to take naps, when needed.
7. Get to come and go as you please (that works well only if you can find your way back home). :D
8. And on and on...

http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Others/desperado-087.gif

I only qualify for one or two of your old age benefits, I guess I'm not that old yet. :D

Firefly
03-18-2009, 06:57 PM
I believe NoMagicneon.com also sells the CalSci.

jeff0110
03-18-2009, 07:29 PM
I got a call from my dealer saying the old Ultra touring windshield is no longer available and this new Ultra Winshield system with side defletors is replacing it with the same part number. The brp website has the old one listed with $0.00 dollars for the price; this is big news because you have to tell your dealer to order the new sheild if you placed one on backorder. The new windshields come in two sizes 23" and 25". I ordered the 25" one.

ataDude
03-18-2009, 08:29 PM
Keep trying... you'll get there. :clap:

http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Others/desperado-087.gif

I only qualify for one or two of your old age benefits, I guess I'm not that old yet. :D

Firefly
03-18-2009, 09:37 PM
I got a call from my dealer saying the old Ultra touring windshield is no longer available and this new Ultra Winshield system with side defletors is replacing it with the same part number. The brp website has the old one listed with $0.00 dollars for the price; this is big news because you have to tell your dealer to order the new sheild if you placed one on backorder. The new windshields come in two sizes 23" and 25". I ordered the 25" one.

The original 'touring' shield by BRP was called a Sport/Touring item # 219400075. They ran around $150.

They also made a Sport Windshield and an Ultra Sport Windshield.

The new Ultra Touring shield is around $230 from what I've heard.

So are you thinking they are getting rid of the Sport/Touring # 219400075 ?

The crazy F1 guy keeps claiming that BRP copied him for their new design- tried to bring it up the other night during an online chat with the BRP rep - made a real AH out of himself. Like BRP needs to copy some crappy arcryllic shields.

The new Givi shield looks pretty darn sharp - and is only $140 !

Spydr in KS
03-19-2009, 07:38 AM
The Givi shield looks pretty good for a 'big shield'. Much better than those chunk of plastic F1's !

BIg? At 22.5 high x 21.25 wide it is exactly the same height as my F1 Evo Shorty. Do like the looks though, waiting for ride reports.

Director
03-19-2009, 08:53 AM
Hi Rob. I just put the Calsci on my Spyder and have not tried it yet. I hope to get out tomorrow and see how it performs. I will let you know. I purchased it through my dealer (Uxbridge Motorsports Marine) just because I had already ordered a BRP Ultra Touring screen there and substituted the Calsci since the BRP screen probably won't be available until sometime in May. Otherwise, I probably would have just ordered directly from Calsci. My understanding is that the hole in the windshield is supposed to allow air to flow through the underside of the screen to reduce buffeting over the top.

I will post again once I have had the screen out in the wind to let everyone know my impressions of it. I like the way it looks on the Spyder, so I hope it works well. :thumbup:

Cheers,

Bruce

Okay, I have now ridden Red October with the Calsci shield installed. I think I am going to like it a lot. It cuts down on the wind against my torso but allows it to flow freely around my head. It is a clean blast - no buffeting. This is what I was aiming for. In my opinion, it is not so large so as to detract from the Spyder's lines, but that is just my subjective view. If the Givi had been available sooner, I probably would have gone that route, but I believe I will be quite content with this one. :thumbup:

BRPjunkie
03-19-2009, 09:50 AM
BIg? At 22.5 high x 21.25 wide it is exactly the same height as my F1 Evo Shorty. Do like the looks though, waiting for ride reports.

My Givi shows UPS delivery tomorrow (March 20), but Michigan weather will determine if I can do a ride review. Other forum had ride review by two different riders, one 5' 10" and another 6' 2". 5' 10" liked it, 6' 2" didn't. Since I'm 5' 10" with just the BRP 1" riser, I hope it will work for me. If not, I hope its looks as good as the photos I've seen.

Firefly
03-19-2009, 10:01 AM
You can always add a removable Laminar Lip to the top of any of the shields if you need a little more deflection.

NancysToy
03-19-2009, 10:16 AM
My Givi shows UPS delivery tomorrow (March 20), but Michigan weather will determine if I can do a ride review. Other forum had ride review by two different riders, one 5' 10" and another 6' 2". 5' 10" liked it, 6' 2" didn't. Since I'm 5' 10" with just the BRP 1" riser, I hope it will work for me. If not, I hope its looks as good as the photos I've seen.
Where did you find one available? Last look at their web site only showed it as "coming soon". Did you call instead, or use an alternate vendor than GIVI itself? Looking forward to some good pictures and that ride report...if it warms up here again.
-Scotty

BRPjunkie
03-19-2009, 10:19 AM
Where did you find one available? Last look at their web site only showed it as "coming soon". Did you call instead, or use an alternate vendor than GIVI itself? Looking forward to some good pictures and that ride report...if it warms up here again.
-Scotty

I use Sport Tour in Ohio for my Givi cases and shield. On their site you click on Givi cases, fitment link, Can Am, and it will bring up the D770ST for $126 plus $8 shipping to MI.

BRPjunkie
03-20-2009, 06:57 PM
Givi shield arrived today at 6:00. Ordered Tuesday, so quick delivery. It came in a large box full of air pillow packing and was inside a bubble wrap sleeve. Had it mounted by 6:10. Usual Givi quality. Everything lined up and as shown in the posted photos, it is a very nice looking shield. Black dot masking at the bottom blends in with the cowling behind it. It has a nice curve and a small flip at the top. As I sit on it (5" 10") I look over the top, but it is obviously more coverage than the BRP Tour shield. It is acrylic and the Givi warning decals include; in high winds do not exceed 100 km/h and use care when parking as the sun's rays through the curvature of the shield can cause damage to instruments. After removing the large warning decals, the only remaining one is the Givi logo. I am very pleased with the looks and hope to test this weekend.

NancysToy
03-20-2009, 07:05 PM
Givi shield arrived today at 6:00. Ordered Tuesday, so quick delivery. It came in a large box full of air pillow packing and was inside a bubble wrap sleeve. Had it mounted by 6:10. Usual Givi quality. Everything lined up and as shown in the posted photos, it is a very nice looking shield. Black dot masking at the bottom blends in with the cowling behind it. It has a nice curve and a small flip at the top. As I sit on it (5" 10") I look over the top, but it is obviously more coverage than the BRP Tour shield. It is acrylic and the Givi warning decals include; in high winds do not exceed 100 km/h and use care when parking as the sun's rays through the curvature of the shield can cause damage to instruments. After removing the large warning decals, the only remaining one is the Givi logo. I am very pleased with the looks and hope to test this weekend.
Don't forget to take your pillow case to cover the windshield if the sun shines. :D
-Scotty

BRPjunkie
03-20-2009, 08:29 PM
Don't forget to take your pillow case to cover the windshield if the sun shines. :D
-Scotty

I believe that this close to the Vernal Equinox the sun's rays this far north would not be strong enough even with the help of the windshield curve to cause damage. I usually remember to pull out the warning card to protect the instruments. Maybe a Spyder Lover's t-shirt would make a good windshield cover?

NancysToy
03-20-2009, 10:36 PM
Maybe a Spyder Lover's t-shirt would make a good windshield cover?
Now you're on to something! :2thumbs:
-Scotty

Spydr in KS
03-22-2009, 09:44 AM
Givi shield arrived today at 6:00. I am very pleased with the looks and hope to test this weekend.

Looking forward to your test report:thumbup:

BRPjunkie
03-22-2009, 10:04 AM
Looking forward to your test report:thumbup:

Reported test ride results in thread titled "Test Flight".