PDA

View Full Version : I need brake pads

Pampurrs
06-18-2016, 02:29 PM
Where does one purchase brake pads for the Spyder? From BRP? From dealer?

Also, are there any video tutorials out there on changing brake pads ?

Thanks,

Pam

Ex-Rocket
06-18-2016, 02:31 PM
BajaRon, who else??:shocked:

Pampurrs
06-18-2016, 02:36 PM
BajaRon, who else??:shocked:

OH I didn't know he sold them. Yes Ron of course

Thanks

Pam

P.S. I just ordered the pads from Ron. I still need to find a tutorial on how to change them.

trikermutha
06-18-2016, 03:17 PM
How about the Green Manual? Should help show how to change the brakes

Pampurrs
06-18-2016, 03:20 PM
How about the Green Manual? Should help show how to change the brakes

Yeah, it does and I can probably go with it, but I'm a fan of watching other people do it also. I love videos.

Pam

SPYD3R
06-18-2016, 03:27 PM
AMAZON.... look for EBC brake pads....
cheapest price for the BEST pads...
fronts are a breeze to change... i did my F3 in under an hour...
good luck...

cptjam
06-18-2016, 04:01 PM
Front: remove wheel, two bolts hold caliper. Remove caliper. Remove/replace pads. Install caliper. Install wheel. Do other side.
Rear: jack up rear. Two silver bolts hold caliper on. Remove caliper. Remove pads. Use a standard set of needle nose pliers to put in the two divots in the piston. Push hard while turning clockwise. Piston will retract until flush. Put new pads in. Replace caliper. Use lock tite on caliper bolts, front and rear. Remove from jack, start bike, pump brake pedal until firm. Test drive. All set!
Call if you get stuck! Joe

Pampurrs
06-18-2016, 04:10 PM
Front: remove wheel, two bolts hold caliper. Remove caliper. Remove/replace pads. Install caliper. Install wheel. Do other side.
Rear: jack up rear. Two silver bolts hold caliper on. Remove caliper. Remove pads. Use a standard set of needle nose pliers to put in the two divots in the piston. Push hard while turning clockwise. Piston will retract until flush. Put new pads in. Replace caliper. Use lock tite on caliper bolts, front and rear. Remove from jack, start bike, pump brake pedal until firm. Test drive. All set!

Thanks Joe, you're awesome!

No bleeding brakes?

What color locktite?

Pam

Grandpot
06-18-2016, 05:01 PM
Thanks Joe, you're awesome!

No bleeding brakes?

What color locktite?

Pam

Pam:

You only need to bleed the brakes if you open a brake line. This should not be the case if just replacing pads.

Use blue loctite.

Get your pads from Ron; keep it in the family.

Pampurrs
06-18-2016, 05:03 PM
Pam:

You only need to bleed the brakes if you open a brake line. This should not be the case if just replacing pads.

Use blue loctite.

Get your pads from Ron; keep it in the family.

Yup, I ordered from Ron. I didn't realize he sold pads until someone mentioned it.

Thanks for the tips.

Pam

BajaRon
06-18-2016, 05:31 PM
AMAZON.... look for EBC brake pads....
cheapest price for the BEST pads...
fronts are a breeze to change... i did my F3 in under an hour...
good luck...

Not necessarily the cheapest. The product price may be less. But watch out for the total price. Their price may appear lower until they add shipping and tax.

For example. If I were to purchase a set of front pads from Amazon, the total delivered price would be $72.77. My price for the same thing delivered to anywhere in the USA is $67.90 They know that if they can get you started into the checkout process with a low product price, it is likely you will continue through with the sale even after they have added a fair amount of additional charges. It is just human nature.

Your actual cost may vary depending on where you live. And certainly, if you can find these products for less I don't fault you for purchasing them elsewhere.

Isn't it great they way they charge tax on 'Shipping & Handling'! :rolleyes:

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd365/BajaRon/Other/Temp_zpsamoy900f.jpg

The same thing happens with Amsoil. I have customers say they can get Amsoil for $XX per quart. When I ask them if that includes tax they almost always say, 'No'. Always take into consideration TOTAL price.

Pampurrs
06-18-2016, 05:35 PM
Ok, I ordered the pads from BajaRon, they should be on their way soon...

I found this video on how to change brake pads on a motorcycle, which is really helpful to me. Although the demo is on a two wheel motorcycle and removal of the wheel isn't necessary as it is on the Spyder, the basic concepts are the same. Between this video, my Green Manual, and the tips I received from members here, I should be able to conquer this challenge.

Here's the video....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xITumgvvS4

Pam

murphybrown
06-18-2016, 06:30 PM

Thanks,

Pam

Bajaron

Harmony 44
06-19-2016, 07:45 AM

Thanks,

Pam
Pam, how many miles do you have on them, were they worn evenly front and rear?

trikermutha
06-19-2016, 07:52 AM
Yeah, it does and I can probably go with it, but I'm a fan of watching other people do it also. I love videos.

Pam

I Hear ya..That visual does help at times before tackling a project..:thumbup:

Pampurrs
06-19-2016, 09:23 AM
Pam, how many miles do you have on them, were they worn evenly front and rear?

I have a little over 21,000 on the original pads. I haven't been able to closely examine them yet, but I will let you know how evenly they wore after I change them out.

Pam

KX5062
06-19-2016, 10:49 AM
Here's a pretty good Youtube video that might be of benefit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmCwgmQOGvA

Don't forget to squeeze in the caliper pistons before removing the old brake pads. However, before you do that, pop up the seat and look at the rear master cylinder reservoir (that is for the front brakes) to make sure that it's not totally full. Because when you compress the pistons, it will push the fluid back up into the reservoir and you don't want to have brake fluid overflow all over the place. When pushing in the old pads, push them in all of the way flush with the caliper, but DON'T go too far. If your hands are strong enough, you should be able to do it with your hands, but like the Youtube video shows, you can do it with a wedge.

I can't remember, but there are 1 or 2 pins that hold the brake pads in place. Brembo uses a small circlip type thing that pushes into the pins to lock them in place. You first remove that small spring circlip and then unthread the pin(s). I don't remember which, but it is either torx or allen, but make sure you use the correct head to unthread the pins, otherwise you'll make a mess of those pins. They aren't that strong and are not hardened steel.

There is also a steel spring that keeps pressure on the pads and holds them in proper alignment. Just make a mental note about their orientation, because sometimes they can be put in backwards or upside down.

When reassembling, make sure those pins are very clean and smooth. I recommend using some small amount of brake grease on those pins to make sure the pads move freely on them, and on the threads on the pins as well. Also, a tiny amount of that grease can be placed onto the caliper where the pads slide in the grooves. Just make sure that none of the grease gets onto the pads or the disc.

Reassembly is in reverse order with blue loctite recommended for the caliper mounting bolts. Then gently push the brake peddle several times to seat the pads. Once the pads are seated, check the master cylinder reservoir.

HTH

Harmony 44
06-20-2016, 07:45 AM
I have a little over 21,000 on the original pads. I haven't been able to closely examine them yet, but I will let you know how evenly they wore after I change them out.

Pam

NautiBrit
06-20-2016, 07:28 PM
Don't forget to apply anti-squeal to the back of the brake pad prior to reassembly. I have a 2013 with Brembo brakes and did not have to remove the calipers, just remove the locking pins.

Pampurrs
06-22-2016, 06:06 PM
My brake pads were delivered today. Thanks BajaRon for your usual expeditious service.

Thanks also to everyone who gave me pointers. I'm feeling very confident that I can handle this task.
Gonna install the TricLED fender lights while I have the front wheels off. :dg2:

Pam

Upstater
07-17-2016, 07:12 AM
My brake pads were delivered today. Thanks BajaRon for your usual expeditious service.

Thanks also to everyone who gave me pointers. I'm feeling very confident that I can handle this task.
Gonna install the TricLED fender lights while I have the front wheels off. :dg2:

Pam

Hi Pam... How 'bout an update on your brake job. Did it happen yet and how smooth did it go for you? :dontknow:

-Rick

Pampurrs
07-17-2016, 09:41 AM
Hi Pam... How 'bout an update on your brake job. Did it happen yet and how smooth did it go for you? :dontknow:

-Rick

Hi Rick,

The fronts were fairly easy to do, but the rear caliper bolts were a b*tch to get loose. The assemblers at the BRP factory must love to drench the bolts in industrial strength threadlocker. Even with an impact wrench, they were difficult to get loose. The front caliper bolts were difficult to get out also, but at least they were more accessible.

Other than that, changing the pads was a routine job with no difficulties. I remounted all the calipers using blue Loctite on the bolts, so the job should be a bit easier next time.

Pam

hypurone
07-17-2016, 01:14 PM
Hi Rick,

The fronts were fairly easy to do, but the rear caliper bolts were a b*tch to get loose. The assemblers at the BRP factory must love to drench the bolts in industrial strength threadlocker. Even with an impact wrench, they were difficult to get loose. The front caliper bolts were difficult to get out also, but at least they were more accessible.

Other than that, changing the pads was a routine job with no difficulties. I remounted all the calipers using blue Loctite on the bolts, so the job should be a bit easier next time.

Pam

I know you asked about bleeding which is not necessary as mentioned, BUT, are you 2 years into ownership? If so, brake fluid should be flushed(replaced) every 2 years.... Just food for thought if you weren't. ;)

Pampurrs
07-17-2016, 01:21 PM
I know you asked about bleeding which is not necessary as mentioned, BUT, are you 2 years into ownership? If so, brake fluid should be flushed(replaced) every 2 years.... Just food for thought if you weren't. ;)

At the time I replaced the pads, I had just passed one year since purchasing the Spyder, so I expect the need to flush the brake fluid next June. I'll probably be ready for another set of pads by then.

Thanks for the heads up!

Pam

Upstater
07-17-2016, 04:21 PM
Hi Rick,

Pam

Thanks Pam!!

GeorgiaBill
07-18-2016, 09:07 AM
Thanks so much.

-Bill

jbaker
07-21-2016, 03:47 PM
I'm down to 1.75mm on rear and will need pads in 2,500 miles or so. How do I order from Baja Ron? I could not find pads on his store on e-bay.

Thanks.

pegasus1300
07-21-2016, 03:52 PM
send him an email or a PM and tell him what you need and he will send you a price.

billybovine
07-21-2016, 04:05 PM
I'm down to 1.75mm on rear and will need pads in 2,500 miles or so. How do I order from Baja Ron? I could not find pads on his store on e-bay.

Thanks.

Here is the link to his thread explaining everything he has. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?23928-New-sponsor-here-for-Filters-amp-Helmets&p=261921&viewfull=1#post261921

At the bottom of the first post he explains how to contact him. I quote.

Purchasing
Right now I am pretty basic. If you are interested in anything I have listed here or anything having to do with a motorcycle or rider please email me at fyredad@hotmail.com (fyredad@hotmail.com) with your request.

Payment - Domestic
Paypal – Personal Check – Money Order

Payment - International
Paypal – Bank Wire Transfer – Western Union

BajaRon
07-21-2016, 04:32 PM

Thanks.

There is a lot I carry that I never list on eBay. There are some things that I carry that I list on eBay but not here. As far as Spyder specific items, they are all listed in my banner ad page here on the Home Page of Spyderlovers.com

As stated above. You can always PM me or email me at fyredad@hotmail.com

Emails are best but PM's are fine too.

I usually ship same day or (if purchased late in the day), next day.

kep-up
08-09-2016, 05:23 PM

Well, now. I don't have any idea which year Spyder you are working on, but my experience replacing brake pads on my 2011 RSS was quite a bit different.

I ordered EBC pads from BajaRon and received them a few days later. All well and good. Removed the wheel, removed the caliper, and lifted the old pads out of the caliper. Pushed the pistons back into the caliper. OK, piece of cake.

Now, the stock pads are held in the caliper by 2 goofy little spring clips. The goofy little spring clips did not come with the EBC pads, so I had to remove the old ones from the stock pads. Wouldn't you just know it......, one broke! OK, no big deal. 5 cent spring clip should cost about $1.50 at the dealer, so I call on the phone. Oh, no, those are not purchasable as a separate item! One must purchase a complete set of stock pads to get the spring clips! I wanted the EBC pads, not replace the stock which were not worn out, btw, but to replace them with EBC pads. (oh, yeah, one broke on the left side, too) So to get 2 spring clips, I had to shell out $120.00 for a set of stock pads. Anybody want them? I think we can work a deal.

All that being said, be veerry careful when removing the wee spring clips. And when putting them on the EBC pads. Ron, maybe it would be helpful to hamfisted folks like me if you were to mention this in your instruction sheet?

jbaker
08-19-2016, 02:25 PM
Changing pads on 2014 RT today. Idea on caliper torque setting?

Many thanks.

Jeff

I actually just bought an online shop manual. Fronts are 50 ft.lbs and rear is 77.