PDA

View Full Version : "Girl" needs help with negotiating pricing

0228lisa
03-14-2009, 07:17 PM
I like the Spyder and and want to get one. The closest dealer here in Jacksonville, Florida wants $21,400 OTD (out the door) for a 2009 Silver Spyder in the crate with these upgrades I would buy......phantom package upgrade, upgraded wheels, non HID fog lights, upgraded muffler, and upgraded windshield. It can be ready in two days to drive which is appealing to me. It that a fair price??????? Any help on this is greatly appreciated.:dontknow:

Roaddog2
03-14-2009, 07:23 PM
welcome SE5 or SM

pitmon
03-14-2009, 07:23 PM
I bought my silver spyder in Jacksonville with sport rack and touring windshield out the door for 16,000. I don't know what the extras you are buying cost but that sounds high to me.

Roaddog2
03-14-2009, 07:24 PM
I bought my silver spyder in Jacksonville with sport rack and touring windshield out the door for 16,000. I don't know what the extras you are buying cost but that sounds high to me.
:agree:

steven888
03-14-2009, 07:29 PM
Take your time with the upgrades. There are so many choices on the mods and more on the way.I would just get the machine first. Just my opinion. Save alot of money without mods. That is how I did it. Now I have an amazing amount of work being done over the winter. Including paint. Good luck.

0228lisa
03-14-2009, 07:42 PM
welcome SE5 or SM

It's a manual transmission so I'm guessing a SM.

0228lisa
03-14-2009, 07:45 PM

Where in Jacksonville? Maybe that's where I need to go! I don't mind the dealer doing the mods since I only like the phantom upgrade as opposed to the yellow, red or silver. I'm currently riding a HD Ultra Classic and I just don't feel safe on it although it's got a really good center of gravity. I feel that if I had to make a life saving manuever on it I'd crash.

Roaddog2
03-14-2009, 07:46 PM
It's a manual transmission so I'm guessing a SM.Ya thats alot of money for a SM5 I would pm Miss or MRS Pitmon she in North Fla maybe she could steer you in the right direction good luck and keep us posted :spyder:

0228lisa
03-14-2009, 07:51 PM
Ya thats alot of money for a SM5 I would pm Miss or MRS Pitmon she in North Fla maybe she could steer you in the right direction good luck and keep us posted :spyder:

I just joined the forum an hour ago so I'll see what if I can figure out how to pm Pitmon. Thanks a bunch guys!!

sleepman
03-14-2009, 08:02 PM
welcome
I hear that Ride Now in Ocala is a good dealer to look at, not local but not that far from you.

I paid $15,400 in Ft. Myers when I bought my SM5.

My suggestion would be to call around and get some pricing from other Florida dealers, then you'll know exactly where you stand.

0228lisa
03-14-2009, 08:05 PM
welcome
I hear that Ride Now in Ocala is a good dealer to look at, not local but not that far from you.

I paid $15,400 in Ft. Myers when I bought my SM5.

My suggestion would be to call around and get some pricing from other Florida dealers, then you'll know exactly where you stand.

What year is yours? Ocala is not that far from here for a good price. I'll definitely call around but I sure think forum members won't take the two or so hours I spend at the dealer today to get me a number.:thumbup::thumbup:

Roaddog2
03-14-2009, 08:09 PM
I just joined the forum an hour ago so I'll see what if I can figure out how to pm Pitmon. Thanks a bunch guys!!Anytime:2thumbs:

sleepman
03-14-2009, 08:26 PM
What year is yours? Ocala is not that far from here for a good price. I'll definitely call around but I sure think forum members won't take the two or so hours I spend at the dealer today to get me a number.:thumbup::thumbup:

Mines an 08 PE SM5, bought it in July. Here's Ride Now's info and my dealers info down in Ft. Myers. All the Florida dealers can be found through this link. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8711

RIDENOW OCALA
3920 N.US Highway 441
Ocala FL 34475
Tel.: 352.732.8531

WEST COAST MOTORCYCLES & WATERCRAFT
1855 Boy Scout Dr.
Fort Myers FL 33907
Tel.: 239.275.5535

Kariblay
03-14-2009, 08:33 PM
I like the Spyder and and want to get one. The closest dealer here in Jacksonville, Florida wants $21,400 OTD (out the door) for a 2009 Silver Spyder in the crate with these upgrades I would buy......phantom package upgrade, upgraded wheels, non HID fog lights, upgraded muffler, and upgraded windshield. It can be ready in two days to drive which is appealing to me. It that a fair price??????? Any help on this is greatly appreciated.:dontknow:

I just got the 2009 limited edition black phantom with the $3340 worth of upgrades all for $17,600 OTD.

bone crusher
03-14-2009, 09:48 PM
I just got the 2009 limited edition black phantom with the $3340 worth of upgrades all for $17,600 OTD.

That's because you root for the Steelers and they just wanted you to leave...

(I'm obviously quite biased, being a Ravens fan!)

0228lisa
03-14-2009, 10:16 PM

That's an incredible price. Help me find that a little closer. I have vacation property up in PA so GO STEELERS!! That was an awesome game even if you didn't like the teams playing. I thought I was going to have a stroke.:clap:

Kariblay
03-14-2009, 10:32 PM
(I'm obviously quite biased, being a Ravens fan!)

I am so so sorry for you....well, at least you still have Ray Ray! :sour:

Desert Spyder
03-15-2009, 06:36 AM
Didn't the 2009 Spyder go up in price by about $1500? I paid over 20 including tax, lic, setup & delivery, touring windshield, and backrest on my SE5 at a time when there was not much negotiating. I think the original letter is getting a decent deal.

czdaryle
03-15-2009, 06:51 AM
WOW so without the upgrades you paid 14,200 !!! that has got to be the lowest anyone has paid. Also don't forget they are getting a silver and upgrading to the black..thats an extra grand right there

Kariblay
03-15-2009, 07:17 AM
WOW so without the upgrades you paid 14,200 !!! that has got to be the lowest anyone has paid. Also don't forget they are getting a silver and upgrading to the black..thats an extra grand right there

The dealer only charged me $1300 for the $3340 accessory upgrade - which was his dealer cost.

He is a large volume dealer and I am a multiple repeat customer - so I am sure this played a role - sometimes loyalty does pay in life! :2thumbs:

Cundiffla
03-15-2009, 07:46 AM

Hi I live in Orange Park, which dealer are you talking to? There are there of them here and one in St. Augustine. You might want to check all of them and make sure you are getting a fair shake. The unit is usual the same but the accessories is where you can save a lillle bit on.

- Larry :spyder:

Roaddog2
03-15-2009, 07:50 AM
The dealer only charged me $1300 for the $3340 accessory upgrade - which was his dealer cost.

He is a large volume dealer and I am a multiple repeat customer - so I am sure this played a role - sometimes loyalty does pay in life! :2thumbs:Deal or no Deal my friend you got a Deal :2thumbs:

M2Wild
03-15-2009, 08:02 AM
Been seen brand new '08 SM5 being let go on eBay for $13,499. So keep that in mind when you are shopping around.

bjt
03-15-2009, 08:26 AM
Welcome to SpyderLovers 0228lisa. That quote you got does sound high. Not knowing exactly what upgraded exhaust, windshield, etc. you are being quoted on, I would still guess you are getting about $2,500 (list price) worth of accessories. Most dealers give their best price breaks on the accessories, especially if they don't discount the Spyder price. It doesn't appear that they are giving you any break whatsoever. :dontknow:

Like others have said, shop around. Have them give you a written quote of each item and its price. You can take that to other dealers to see who is willing to compete for your business. Take other quotes back the first dealer to see what they are willing to do to complete the sale. Maybe hook up with one of the SpyderLover members down there who bought from a good dealer and have them go with you to their dealer to get you a good quote.

dltang
03-15-2009, 08:36 AM
Something else to consider Lisa. If your quote is kind of high, is your dealership putting aftermarket accessories on your spyder for you? Many dealers will not do that. So maybe that includes labor for items you would have to do yourself or pay someone else to do. So it may not be that high after all. Get your quote on paper as suggested and then make sure you are comparing apples to apples. If you consider all the accessories, both BRP and aftermarket and all the labor costs to put them all on the spyder, you probably have a fair price. I will have to go back and look at your list but I was thinking you were the one that wants all the NMN and Kewlmetal aftermarket items as well as the Phantom Black package, or am I mistaken? Either way, enjoy and welcome again.

bjt
03-15-2009, 08:40 AM
As I thought about this for another minute, your scenario struck a chord with me. Its too bad that greed rules so many people's world. They get a customer who is uneducated on a machine but is obviously really interested in buying one. They just quote you full list price plus probably some reasonable sounding upcharges like delivery fees, setup, etc. They figure you'll never know how much extra you paid them or if you do find out, they'll make it sound like its your own fault for not negotiating better. :sour: Good luck on the pending purchase and negotiating a better price.

M2Wild
03-15-2009, 09:01 AM
It does sound like full retail with up charges and labor charges to put on all the stuff. Labor is usually charged per item .... even though they save a bunch of time by installing all of them at once.

I remember Toyota offered me to install the windshield wiper blade I just bought for me when I have it there for service. I was pissed when they charged me 1/4 hr. labor to put the blades on (which took them all but a few minutes) .... never went back there again and steered all my friends away from there.

ptoemmes
03-15-2009, 09:27 AM

South Florida dealers are "asking" MSRP on the Spyder but in most cases not charging for shipping and setup. In my case - SM5 - that was close to $800 for shipping and setup. 15% off add-ons: trunk liner, BRP 1" riser, tank bag, sport rack and passenger back rest, Hindle, and Fogs (no HIDs). Tag, registration, etc, etc - so OTD - $19,500. A little high but that was 3 out 3 dealers all holding their collective ground. Be sure your price includes dealer installation of the add-ons!

Should you want an extended warranty - even the BRP waranty which would be preferred - in FLorida that is considered insurance and cannot be discounted. However, you can buy a discounted BRP warranty from out of state and it will be - should be - honored in Florida.

Have them discount another $895 to throw in the extended warranty and also give you - gratis - a two year maintenance plan. That ought to be worth close to $2,000 even thogh your OTD price would not change. Or, counter offer them $19,500 OTD. You are allowed to negotiate.

Pete

bandwagon
03-15-2009, 10:14 AM
I think that with tax,tags,freight,SE5, and your mods, plus a piece of mind. Twenty one four don't sound too bad. Also tell them to include 48 month warranty at no cost, or shave the cost of the bike. If SM5 subtract $1500.00. I too place a high premium on safety. Good Luck and enjoy your Spyder what ever the cost. :agree: I also agree with what Pete is saying. In the end if you feel good about it after the price war. Pull the trigger!!!! :chat:

Where in Jacksonville? Maybe that's where I need to go! I don't mind the dealer doing the mods since I only like the phantom upgrade as opposed to the yellow, red or silver. I'm currently riding a HD Ultra Classic and I just don't feel safe on it although it's got a really good center of gravity. I feel that if I had to make a life saving manuever on it I'd crash.

NancysToy
03-15-2009, 10:17 AM
Forget the price. Ride the wheels of it, and you won't feel the pain at all. Those of us that bought the Premier Editions when the Spyder first came out got few, if any bargains, but we're all still grinning. :D
-Scotty

HD2CANAM
03-15-2009, 11:41 AM
My wife "asked" me to sell my Ultra Classic Harley about two years ago. I finally agreed and her brother came out from California to pick it up. I have been riding motorized two wheels since I was twelve years old. At that time you could get a day light restricted drivers license for bikes. In January of this year she surprised me with a 2009 Spyder which she bought without me knowing. It is just stock and OTD price was $18,083.53. Hesitant at first, but am starting to love it. Just remember you might feel strange at first when you pass a Harley rider, but this will pass and you don't have to put your foot down when you stop.

Peoriafirefighter
03-15-2009, 01:02 PM

A dealer in Benton Harbor, Michigan has new 2008's for $14,000.00 You can buy a lot of add ons and still not come close to $21,000.00. I would walk on that deal.:banghead:

Laz
03-15-2009, 06:20 PM
If you can wait. Check around, I went to Gainsville Motorsports in Gainsville, GA. Give them a call talk to Jimmy (the owner), He gave me a good price and discounted the add ons.

0228lisa
03-18-2009, 06:55 PM
Well it's a done deal and parked in my garage. I took the advice of the forum and just bought the red stock 2009 SM5 with no upgrades. That way I can shop the mods over time and still have my ride. I found one in Jacksonville for 16805.13 OTD including the tag. I'm real happy with that price. Thanks to all with the PM's, guidance and good advice! Let's ride!!!:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

bjt
03-18-2009, 07:53 PM
Congrats again. :thumbup:

ataDude
03-18-2009, 08:23 PM
Good choice... like that red! :congrats:

Well it's a done deal and parked in my garage. I took the advice of the forum and just bought the red stock 2009 SM5 with no upgrades. That way I can shop the mods over time and still have my ride. I found one in Jacksonville for 16805.13 OTD including the tag. I'm real happy with that price. Thanks to all with the PM's, guidance and good advice! Let's ride!!!:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

GeminiJane
03-18-2009, 08:38 PM
:congrats:welcome Enjoy your :spyder2:.

GeminiJane
03-18-2009, 08:58 PM
Hey ataDude - just wondering... are you a type 1 person or a type 2 kinda guy?:joke:

Trickie Dick
03-18-2009, 09:15 PM
:congrats::2thumbs::2thumbs: Love the red. planning and shopping for mods is half the fun..:D

ataDude
03-18-2009, 09:25 PM
It took me a minute but I finally got it. Old age, you know.

Well, which type do you think I am? :clap:

BTW... still haven't got the retired greyhound yet... but it will happen.

Hey ataDude - just wondering... are you a type 1 person or a type 2 kinda guy?:joke:

Rory.MacDonell
03-19-2009, 08:28 AM
Hi! Bought my SE5 through Jax Power Sports, and thought I paid a bit more than some other places. Since then, First Coast Suzuki in St Augustine, and Daytona Fun Machines have also become dealers. You might check their prices as comparison for an equivalent bike, or do as I did, which was do without adding the accessories I wanted up front because of the dealer cost to install everything. There was never even an offer to provide the accessories for free installation base on what I paid. Yes, I regret not having put all the things I wanted on up front, but I don.t regret the extra $1500 for installation the dealership wanted. Check the other places and compare prices before you make your final decision. It might be worth the trip to ST Augustine or Daytona.
Rory MacDonell

aubierules
03-19-2009, 11:19 AM
Take your time with the upgrades. There are so many choices on the mods and more on the way.I would just get the machine first. Just my opinion. Save alot of money without mods. That is how I did it. Now I have an amazing amount of work being done over the winter. Including paint. Good luck.
:agree:TOTALLY

Roger
03-19-2009, 11:39 AM
:congrats: good job lisa i'am glad you asked your question i have not bought mine yet so all this advice helps. enjoy your :spyder:

0228lisa
03-20-2009, 08:08 PM
:congrats: good job lisa i'am glad you asked your question i have not bought mine yet so all this advice helps. enjoy your :spyder:

Learn something new everyday on here. A good place to be if you are a newbie.:spyder2:

Cundiffla
03-20-2009, 08:16 PM

Congrats!!! I will keep an eye out for ya! My wife and I ride around town all the time....

Good Luck! If you want to ride with us just PM me and we'll meet up somewhere.... :clap:

:f_spider: - Larry

0228lisa
03-20-2009, 08:20 PM
Congrats!!! I will keep an eye out for ya! My wife and I ride around town all the time....

Good Luck! If you want to ride with us just PM me and we'll meet up somewhere.... :clap:

:f_spider: - Larry

You PM me too if you are taking it out somewhere. I got a pool table the same day I got the Spyder so there's a conflict going on here about which toy to play with.:f_spider:

Nightrider1
11-17-2014, 07:54 PM

He is a large volume dealer and I am a multiple repeat customer - so I am sure this played a role - sometimes loyalty does pay in life! :2thumbs:

Is it an rt

cyclelover63
11-17-2014, 08:34 PM
Is it an rt

This thread is 5 years old...:popcorn:

Buffalosoldier007
11-17-2014, 09:00 PM
I found several on cycle trader and used their price to negotiate a better price at my local dealer

SpyderAnn01
11-18-2014, 12:06 AM
:oldpost:, way, way , way old post. So old that it predates the RT.

Lone Spyder Ryder
11-18-2014, 02:07 AM
Hi Lisa, I believe that $21400.00 is way to much for a 2009 regardless of what it has. If you are interested I have a new 2013 Spyder SE5 ST Limited with less than 600 miles on it for $22,000 and I will split the shipping cost. I just checked on shipper and they will ship it in a crate for $800. This is a picture of my ST Limited. I totaled my 09 Spyder 4 months ago and now that I have replaced it and rode it a little bit I an not sure I want to ride again. I am 69 years old and the body just don't heal like it used to. No matter what you decide you can beat that 2009 price. Have a super day. Leo

ironsidebob
11-18-2014, 02:20 AM
you are replying to a post that was started over 5 years ago, may have way better luck Leo placing for sale in the for sale section of the forum, good luck on the sale of your spyder!

Hi Lisa, I believe that $21400.00 is way to much for a 2009 regardless of what it has. If you are interested I have a new 2013 Spyder SE5 ST Limited with less than 600 miles on it for $22,000 and I will split the shipping cost. I just checked on shipper and they will ship it in a crate for $800. This is a picture of my ST Limited. I totaled my 09 Spyder 4 months ago and now that I have replaced it and rode it a little bit I an not sure I want to ride again. I am 69 years old and the body just don't heal like it used to. No matter what you decide you can beat that 2009 price. Have a super day. Leo

MikeinGA
11-18-2014, 10:53 AM
you are replying to a post that was started over 5 years ago, may have way better luck Leo placing for sale in the for sale section of the forum, good luck on the sale of your spyder!

I wonder if she bought it?

Mike

Bob Denman
11-18-2014, 10:55 AM
:shocked: We have some budding archeologists in here; who dug this one up? :dontknow:

Pennyrick
11-18-2014, 11:00 AM
:shocked: We have some budding archeologists in here; who dug this one up? :dontknow:

It appears that a new user (4 posts), Nightrider1 neglected to notice the date of the post when moving around the site. It is always good to look at the date of the original post. Sometimes I will see a thread that looks meaningful to me and then I check the first post date and find I read this and even contributed to it a year or more back.

Lone Spyder Ryder
11-18-2014, 11:07 AM
:opps::opps:

Bob Denman
11-18-2014, 11:33 AM
Not a problem, Bro. :thumbup:
All of us have gotten tripped-up by this, at one time or another... :D

sduskin
11-18-2014, 01:06 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Can-Am-Spyder-2014-can-am-spyder-rt-s-sm-6-new-/231394421132?forcerrptr=true&hash=item35e02ea98c&item=231394421132&pt=US_motorcycles

I would look around.

When I negotiated with a local dealer, the MSRP was about 28000, after discounts, negotiating, and getting the extended warranty to 5 yrs, it was still less than 25000.

Bob Denman
11-18-2014, 01:15 PM
:shocked: Did you... :oldpost:

PrairieSpyder
11-18-2014, 01:45 PM

So far there's 4 SLs that haven't checked the dates on the original thread. I wonder what the average IQ of SLs is?

Bob Denman
11-18-2014, 01:50 PM
:dontknow: But I'm pretty sure that if I left; it'd go UP! :D

rich 1000
11-18-2014, 07:41 PM
just bought new 2014 limited for 23960.00 plus tax in n.j.

Yazz
11-18-2014, 08:12 PM
:oldpost:

It's all good, but watch the date of the original post...

arntufun
11-18-2014, 08:21 PM
The price might be a little high on this 2009. You might want to try elsewhere. :thumbup:

Yazz
11-18-2014, 09:06 PM
The price might be a little high on this 2009. You might want to try elsewhere. :thumbup:

Sorry you had to sell your PE.

You did well by listening to Holly's wishes and you're a good man for doing so...:2thumbs:

May both of you have happiness in your future!

Bfromla
11-19-2014, 04:35 AM
Op was '09! & here i was gonna suggest low cut shirt lol[emoji102][emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

missouriboy
11-19-2014, 05:45 AM
So far there's 4 SLs that haven't checked the dates on the original thread. I wonder what the average IQ of SLs is?Now there's an intriguing idea! You could set up a poll, perhaps with 10-point range brackets, and everyone could respond anonymously. FUN! :clap:

But how many even know their own IQ? And would they report honestly? :shocked:

PrairieSpyder
11-19-2014, 08:23 AM
Now there's an intriguing idea! You could set up a poll, perhaps with 10-point range brackets, and everyone could respond anonymously. FUN! :clap:

But how many even know their own IQ? And would they report honestly? :shocked:

I don't know mine. But if you do a poll, it should also include membership time on SL. I'll bet there's a correlation of IQ and how long someone's been on SL - or maybe number of posts!

[But that wouldn't explain Bob!! :joke:]

Bob Denman
11-19-2014, 08:38 AM
There's an easy answer for that; the more that you post; the lower the IQ sinks... :shocked:

coz
11-19-2014, 08:58 AM
easily made, especially those with little interweb forum experience. at least they are TRYING to research a subject. i didn't know what a forum was until i started thinking about buying a spyder. look at me now.:roflblack: chalk up the rest to not paying attention.

wyliec
11-19-2014, 09:01 AM
There's an easy answer for that; the more that you post; the lower the IQ sinks... :shocked:

You must be a step above MENSA.:bowdown:

You know, I took that the wrong way. I took it to mean your IQ points don't drop as much, the more you post, b/c you have more brain activity.

Bob,

I'm sorry; but, I have to hijack this thread.

Someone posted that the slingshot may be illegal for road use in Texas on this forum (spyder general discussion). Lamont moved it to where it belongs. Now, I noticed yesterday, a day later, someone else posts on this forum that the slingshot maybe illegal in Texas. MENSA material, or not? Do we not pay attention to Lamont's rules? Okay, that was bugging me. Back on topic.

Bob Denman
11-19-2014, 09:15 AM
"General Discussion", or "Off-Topic"; I'll let The Boss sort that out... :D

arntufun
11-19-2014, 09:27 AM
Did someone say............ Slingshot !!!!! :firstplace:

Bob Denman
11-19-2014, 09:28 AM
Slingshot, or Slingsnot... is there a difference? :D

coz
11-19-2014, 09:33 AM
Did someone say............ Slingshot !!!!! :firstplace:
you'll be back on an f3 in two years:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:
are you guys snowed in today ?

Bob Denman
11-19-2014, 09:35 AM
:agree: :roflblack: :2thumbs:

sduskin
11-19-2014, 09:37 AM

Nope my bad...