PDA

View Full Version : Use of titles - be kind to Tapatalk users.

IdahoMtnSpyder
06-15-2016, 08:16 PM
Titles in posts can be useful and help to grab attention. Unfortunately, sometimes they just don't work as intended.

I'd like to offer a suggestion to everyone. Please repeat the gist of your title in the body of the post. To understand why I ask this look at this post by Murphybrown. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?94561-Does-the-RT-622-have-sealed-wheel-bearings&p=1143706&viewfull=1#post1143706.

A vital piece of information that she is sharing is in the title. However, when posts are viewed using Tapatalk on a smartphone or a tablet, which many of us do, the title does not get displayed for posts after the initial one. At least for me that is the case. As you can see her post, sans the title, does not convey her message that she uses Bearing Buddies. Therefore, anyone reading the post with Tapatalk is left with a :dontknow: feeling. There have been times a post made no sense to me until I had a chance to read it on a PC where I could see the title.

So please be kind to everyone reading the forum with Tapatalk and include the gist of the title in the body of the post whenever the title includes real information. :thumbup:

Thank you.

SpyderAnn01
06-15-2016, 08:55 PM
Mac, maybe you should drop taptalk? I have enough trouble typing on my phone as it is so I won't be adding titles to my posts anytime soon.

Chupaca
06-15-2016, 09:04 PM
Know what you mean...but I find that if the answers to the op don't clear it up I can go to spyderlovers and see it there from the phone. I don't find to many of those types....but I will keep it in mind....:thumbup:

M109Dreamer
06-15-2016, 09:20 PM
I use Tapatalk almost 99% of the time. I agree with the issues you are stating. For me firing up the laptop is to big or a PITA where I can just use TT here and search unread posts and be in and out in 10 min.

Until TT does an update and then it takes a couple of days for it to work correctly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

2Paw
06-15-2016, 10:46 PM
IMHO the title for the thread should be established by the original poster, and there should be no need for any other titles. BUT, I am guilty of using a different title for my replies sometimes. Call me old fashioned but a phone is a phone and a computer is a computer. this from a retired IBM employee. I have a smart phone but it too smart for me, other than a phone I use the calendar and that's about it. My kids make fun of me:opps:

IdahoMtnSpyder
06-15-2016, 10:56 PM
Mac, maybe you should drop taptalk? I have enough trouble typing on my phone as it is so I won't be adding titles to my posts anytime soon.
Ahhhhh, no titles = no missed words! I do much of my reading of SL on my tablet as it works great when I'm not at the computer and TT organizes the unread stuff nicely, and write an occasional reply with it, but all my serious typing is on the computer! On my tablet I use Graffiti. Typing on it, or the phone, is a ridiculous concept, IMO.

Bfromla
06-15-2016, 10:58 PM
Can see what you mean & is why i like to mix it up i have found taptalk loads my pics right side more often & I can load few more at one time. I do however prefer my signature while using a regular browser. With all that said , dont get tied down to using only one method hopefully nothing of vital importance will be missed

I wasn't there but I still care! POW /MIA VETS

Bob Denman
06-16-2016, 06:50 AM
I use Tapatalk almost 99% of the time. I agree with the issues you are stating. For me firing up the laptop is to big or a PITA where I can just use TT here and search unread posts and be in and out in 10 min.

Until TT does an update and then it takes a couple of days for it to work correctly.

:D It looks MUCH better now; Thanks for making the O.P's. point! :thumbup:

M109Dreamer
06-16-2016, 07:42 AM
:D It looks MUCH better now; Thanks for making the O.P's. point! :thumbup:
I usually have to wait for a few posts to get all the detail because the heading gets cut off as well. Its just part of TT, as long as you are aware of it I can usually work around it and deciyfer the information.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Bob Denman
06-16-2016, 07:43 AM
:D I deleted it, in my quote.

robmorg
06-16-2016, 07:45 AM
Titles in posts can be useful and help to grab attention. Unfortunately, sometimes they just don't work as intended.
... There have been times a post made no sense to me until I had a chance to read it on a PC where I could see the title.

...So please be kind to everyone reading the forum with Tapatalk and include the gist of the title in the body of the post whenever the title includes real information. :thumbup:

Thank you. Good luck with that request. ;)

What is even worse is when people begin the first sentence of their message in the message title box, and then begin the message itself right in the middle of the sentence. :yikes:There have been many requests posted over the years about that, but folks continue to do it. Drive's me nuts :shocked:.

There's nothing wrong with using subtitles (message titles) within a thread for emphasis or clarity, That can be helpful. But I agree that ALL messages should be written in such a way that they make complete sense WITHOUT the subtitle. ...not only to be courteous to Tap-a-talk users, but also to make the thread easier & quicker to read for everybody.

That's just my humble opinion. http://robmorgan.net/img-sm/free-mad-smileys-332.gif ;)

robmorg
06-16-2016, 08:00 AM
:D I deleted it, in my quote. THAT was confusing. :roflblack:

ARtraveler
06-16-2016, 01:52 PM
I look at titles as teasers. Some are better than others. I usually give the thread a sentence or two before making the decision to read or not to read. :thumbup:

subdude17349
06-16-2016, 01:56 PM
What is even worse is when people begin the first sentence of their message in the message title box, and then begin the message itself right in the middle of the sentence.

Thread winner right here. Makes me nuts. I pretty much just put people that do that on "ignore".

ThreeWheels
06-16-2016, 03:05 PM
OK, so let me see if I understand the gist of this thread.
We ALL need to adjust our writing styles to accomodate those few of us that are usin tapatalk because of a deficiency in Tapatalk .

Did I get that right ?

IdahoMtnSpyder
06-16-2016, 03:51 PM
OK, so let me see if I understand the gist of this thread.
We ALL need to adjust our writing styles to accomodate those few of us that are usin tapatalk because of a deficiency in Tapatalk .

Did I get that right ?
Well, kind of. But not ALL need to adjust our writing styles because only a few use the title as an integral part of the message. Of the few forums I frequent this is the only one that makes it easy to include titles on individual posts. One fills the title box automatically with the thread title, which does show up in Tapatalk, and the other has no titles for individual posts.

I'm not saying we shouldn't use titles in individual posts, but please don't include important information you wish to convey in just the title. With the proliferation of smartphone usage as the primary tool for internet surfing (which for the life of me I don't understand) Tapatalk serves a purpose of making forum reading much easier than using a browser on the phone. My thinking is that many members here may not be aware of how Tapatalk works, or that it even exists.

The reason I posted this request is I'm sure many members aren't aware of this limitation (I don't consider it a deficiency) of Tapatalk, and thus do not realize that sometimes the message they wish to convey is not reaching every member who reads it. All I'm saying is be aware, and be considerate.

2Paw
06-16-2016, 05:00 PM
Sounds almost like the bathroom controversy all over again. The majority needs to accommodate the minority. I do think though that individual posts should not have a title but if you see fit to title it don't use it as part of the post.

scott16119
06-16-2016, 06:10 PM
What is taptalk?

IdahoMtnSpyder
06-16-2016, 06:15 PM
Sounds almost like the bathroom controversy all over again. The majority needs to accommodate the minority. I do think though that individual posts should not have a title but if you see fit to title it don't use it as part of the post.
Succinctly stated! :thumbup:

IdahoMtnSpyder
06-16-2016, 06:27 PM
What is taptalk?
Tapatalk is an app for both iOS and Android smartphones and tablets for browsing forums. The forums have to have a Tapatalk plugin for it to work, and not all do. It streamlines the downloading and browsing of forums.

The last I knew it is the only such app on the market.