PDA

View Full Version : Blacked out digital screen

Jheck
06-15-2016, 08:12 PM
Today I had to do some errands in Syracuse N.Y.. About 55 miles one way from my home. On the way home I stopped at a friends house and visited with him about 1 hour. I turned the key on to bout up and I had a completely blacked out screen. The Spyder started ok, I said Hmm, I started out and it ran ok, at least I had the Analogs. After about 5 miles I could just make out the middle of the MPH numbers. But top and bottom of screen black. Another ten miles and I could just make out the top and bottom of the screen(miles, clock, Rpms etc.) by the time I got home, another ten miles, the screen was normal agin :dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:. What do you guys think:dontknow:? It was sitting in the sun when parked. Over heated screen from sun?
I have to go out again tomorrow so we'll see. At least it wasn't the dreaded Orange screen:gaah:.

Pampurrs
06-15-2016, 08:16 PM
This happens when you park in direct sunlight for a period of time. I'm not sure of the technical reason, but it does it. As you experienced, it comes back into focus after you ride awhile.
I've gotten into the habit of pulling out my safety card to provide shade to the panel when I park. At least I've found a use for that thing! :dg2:

Pam

Chupaca
06-15-2016, 08:20 PM
:agree: Some are more sensitive than others but in combination of heat and humidity this occurs. There are slip covers for dash and seat that help but I also drop the safety card even when ryding with the sun to my back....:thumbup:

Jheck
06-15-2016, 08:52 PM
This happens when you park in direct sunlight for a period of time. I'm not sure of the technical reason, but it does it. As you experienced, it comes back into focus after you ride awhile.
I've gotten into the habit of pulling out my safety card to provide shade to the panel when I park. At least I've found a use for that thing! :dg2:

Pam
Ahh, so nothing new, normal. That's a darn good idea to put that safety card to use. Thanks.:ohyea:

IdahoMtnSpyder
06-15-2016, 11:04 PM
Getting dark in direct sunlight seems to be the nature of LCD screens. I had to prepay for gas the other day because the gas pump screen was totally blanked out from sunlight. You ever notice those screens covering the screens of Red Box dvd vending machines? That's why they're there, to keep the sun off the screen.

PaladinLV
06-15-2016, 11:22 PM
+1

Pam

ARtraveler
06-16-2016, 02:20 AM
Post #2 is the most likely answer to your blacked out screen issue. Been there and done that.

Pulling out the safety card may help alleviate the situation. :thumbup:

Fjrwillie
06-16-2016, 04:42 AM
Today I had to do some errands in Syracuse N.Y.. About 55 miles one way from my home. On the way home I stopped at a friends house and visited with him about 1 hour. I turned the key on to bout up and I had a completely blacked out screen. The Spyder started ok, I said Hmm, I started out and it ran ok, at least I had the Analogs. After about 5 miles I could just make out the middle of the MPH numbers. But top and bottom of screen black. Another ten miles and I could just make out the top and bottom of the screen(miles, clock, Rpms etc.) by the time I got home, another ten miles, the screen was normal agin :dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:. What do you guys think:dontknow:? It was sitting in the sun when parked. Over heated screen from sun?
I have to go out again tomorrow so we'll see. At least it wasn't the dreaded Orange screen:gaah:.

Glad you asked this Question.. I have had the exact thing happen to mine on a tour we recently completed. Posted the question over on the RT section. You got much better answer than I did. First time I noticed was in South Carolina the heat and sun were brutal. Heat was touching that 100 mark.

Willie

Bob Denman
06-16-2016, 07:07 AM
Try pulling the warning card out, and use it as a cover for the display...
It might just block out some of the heat, that caused this.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=132285&stc=1

Deer Slayer
06-16-2016, 07:45 AM
I place my ryding gloves over my display. :riding:

JKMSPYDER
06-16-2016, 08:29 AM
Since I have an F3 that doesn't have the pull out card, I carry a small rag with me to use just for that purpose.

Jheck
06-16-2016, 03:48 PM

Pam
Thank you Pampurrs, using the safety card worked perfect to shade my screen today....... EXCEPT...... My frist stop today was at AAA Auto to book a flight, and when I came out, there was 2 guys standing one on each side of the bike reading that darn card:dontknow::roflblack::roflblack: they were very impressed that can-am looks out for our safety that way.:roflblack:

Pampurrs
06-16-2016, 03:52 PM
Thank you Pampurrs, using the safety card worked perfect to shade my screen today....... EXCEPT...... My frist stop today was at AAA Auto to book a flight, and when I came out, there was 2 guys standing one on each side of the bike reading that darn card:dontknow::roflblack::roflblack: they were very impressed that can-am looks out for our safety that way.:roflblack:

That's funny. :roflblack: It's actually happened to me as well. Some folks on here have placed stickers over the safety card on their Spyders.

Glad I could be of help :2thumbs:

Pam

Ron2andia
06-16-2016, 04:15 PM
Does the windshield not help with this on the F3? I'll start carrying something just in case...

garb55
06-16-2016, 10:22 PM

They were studying for when they get their :spyder2: :roflblack: