PDA

View Full Version : Thank you Bumpskid

Pineywoods36
06-12-2016, 05:27 PM
So never miss judge the height of a raised man hole cover. :yikes: This past weekend while driving through a small parking lot there was a raised man hole cover I could not go around and I did not want to hit it with one of my front tires (should have done that) so I stratled it and we came to a dead stop from about 10 MPHs :banghead: wife almost sat on my shoulders. Got off and looked it over cracked tupperware :( just priced the peices comes to about $750.00 to replace if I do the labor. :mad: If I didn't have the bumpskid I know it would have been much worse. We are OK and Spyder is drivable that is what counts. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=131970&stc=1

Lin
06-12-2016, 05:37 PM
That was a VERY raised manhole. It must have been quite a jolt.

AbNormy
06-12-2016, 06:07 PM
Ouch!

Norm H Austin Tx

spacetiger
06-12-2016, 06:24 PM
I don't know if you have sorted out your front suspension but the oem setup is not stiff enough, so the nose sits low. Add in the bumbskid and the bottom of the bike sits even lower. It held the bike together on the impact (good thing) but it also contributed to the impact happening.

In any case, it sounds like you both came out okay. Document it all and post the findings and repair because you will be the one that helps all other riders avoid this issue. It might have been scarier if you were doing 25 mph!

Everyone get your nose up with the correct suspension change.

Jerry

guzzihack
06-12-2016, 06:55 PM
Dang it. Almost make a guy cry over that one. Something else to keep an eye on is the fill covers at gas stations. Some of those are raised up a couple inches and I've seen them not quite seated and sticking up even more. It's bad enough with road trash that's difficult to avoid at speed, but just have to be aware when pulling into lots and businesses.

Coke

Ron2andia
06-12-2016, 09:02 PM
Glad u had a bumpskid great addition...:clap:

Chupaca
06-12-2016, 09:22 PM
Glad your both safe and uninjured..It does help even on the dead on hits. You could have knocked it off and stuck the rear wheel in there...:yikes: you could have hit it with the front tire and hopped over unless you were on the brakes then probably locked on the lid and slid around and upset the nanny. Expensive but you probably saved a bundle....