PDA

View Full Version : Topping off the oil

lizmcg
06-12-2016, 10:50 AM
Two newbie questions. (i) When the oil on the dipstick is approaching the lower "fill" line, how much oil needs to be added to get it back to the top line, approximately? The manual just says to add "a small amount" of oil and run it through the drive, idle, test cycle again (and again) until it's full. I don't want to overfill it, but I don't want to spend an afternoon on it, either.:rolleyes: (ii) How low on the dipstick should I let it go before topping it off? I've never been good at reading dipsticks. They always seem to have a smear instead of a clear line for the oil level.:opps: Oh, and I just thought of (iii) I tried checking the brake fluid and coolant tanks just so I'd know where they are, and I found I can't really see anything through the plastic. Is there a trick to seeing the levels? I have no reason to think they're low, as I've only put 700 miles on it since I got it from the dealer, but I'd like to know how to check. Also, the coolant tank opening is barely accessible! I bought a funnel with a flexible plastic tube when I saw it, but yikes! I hope I don't have to use it.:shocked:

billybovine
06-12-2016, 10:59 AM
From the add line to the full line is 500 ml or 1/2 quart. If you check oil level on a regular basis. No need to add oil until it is below the add line. So when you add 1/2 quart it will be somewhere between the add and full. That's perfect.

Remember to check the oil after a drive. That way it is fully heated and and will get a more accurate level.

Chupaca
06-12-2016, 11:01 AM
I see from your profile that you have a 2012 RTS. Being the V-Twin you do have to check the oil regularly I like to do it after a long ryde or several short ones say about 500 miles or so. When done this way the engine is at operating temperature so you are set to top off if needed. As to how much... hard to say I usually add and measure a couple of times. you only need to be between the lines I try to be close to the full mark....:thumbup:

Highwayman2013
06-12-2016, 11:12 AM
I check mine after a long ride. If it's down to the add line I only put a couple ounces in. I like to keep it at halfway between add and full.

Bob Denman
06-12-2016, 12:44 PM
Billy's right; but I usually would start by adding half a pint, and see where things end up... :thumbup:

Cruzr Joe
06-12-2016, 01:25 PM
They got you covered on the oil, a little at a time.

on the coolant, try using a flashlight behind the container to see how much is in there, after refilling, be sure that you put the cap on tight (2 clicks)

on the brake fluid be sure to use DOT4 brake fluid only, and make sure that the caps are placed back on properly or they will leak. (see photo below)

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=131964&stc=1 be sure the pointers on the caps point to the rear of the Spyder.

Cruzr Joe

Bob Denman
06-12-2016, 04:23 PM
:agree: ...

fjray
06-12-2016, 04:39 PM
The brake caps on my 15RT are pointed the opposite direction and they don't leak. That's the way they came from the dealer so should I change them or figure if it isn't broke don't fix it.

Cruzr Joe
06-12-2016, 06:24 PM
The brake caps on my 15RT are pointed the opposite direction and they don't leak. That's the way they came from the dealer so should I change them or figure if it isn't broke don't fix it.

with the tips pointing to the rear of the bike is the correct way ............................. Change yours to the correct way if you want it to be correct.

Cruzr Joe