PDA

View Full Version : Storage Suggestions If No Garage...

ShortCake
06-11-2016, 02:22 PM
I am in the middle of purchasing a 2015 RT S SE6 leftover with a deep discount at the dealer. In fact, the bike is still in the warehouse in the box! Anyway, my main question is for those that do NOT have a garage.

I live in a townhome with a cul-de-sac. We have assigned parking spaces but with the kids here, ect. I do not trust it out there with a cover. During the riding season, I do plan on keeping it on my back porch (which is a cement pad). Call me crazy, but I have not ridden in a couple years and miss 2 wheels. With having a bad knee, I am now at the mercy of 3-wheels and I do not want to wait any longer, for life is passing me by while I see myself continuing to say "next year". Even with a decent amount down, I will have a monthly payment close to the same as my SUV along with insurance. A storage unit monthly is NOT in my budget.

Is there anyone here that keeps their spyder outside with a high quality cover? What do you do in the winter? Any/all suggestions are appreciated :helpsmilie:

Thanks!

jthornton
06-11-2016, 02:30 PM
Will they allow a portable building to cover the Spyder up?

JT

lizmcg
06-11-2016, 02:45 PM
I bought a Bike Barn (http://www.thebikebarn.net/model_trike.html), and I'm very pleased with it. They make a trike size that fits my RTS with about 6-8 inches on each side and plenty of room back to front. It's very sturdy and the canvas is heavy. Most people put down plywood, but I just put in 8 12-inch spikes in my gravel driveway. The front tires of the Spyder rest on the anchor plates for extra stability. Costs $450 plus $55 UPS and arrives in about a week (US east coast).

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=131919&stc=1
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=131920&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=131921&stc=1

lizmcg
06-11-2016, 02:49 PM
As far as winter is concerned, the Barn is rated for about 75 lbs of snow, but you have to sweep it off if it's accumulating (see the FAQ page on their website). Somebody posted awhile ago that they didn't do that once, and it collapsed but wasn't actually damaged (nor was their Spyder, if I remember correctly). Oh, and I'm a 68-year-old woman and I assembled it by myself.:ohyea:

And :welcome:

ShortCake
06-11-2016, 03:37 PM
As far as winter is concerned, the Barn is rated for about 75 lbs of snow, but you have to sweep it off if it's accumulating (see the FAQ page on their website). Somebody posted awhile ago that they didn't do that once, and it collapsed but wasn't actually damaged (nor was their Spyder, if I remember correctly). Oh, and I'm a 68-year-old woman and I assembled it by myself.:ohyea:

And :welcome:

Thanks for the info. I see you live in Virginia and I am in PA, therefore, we know how the winters can be out this way. My concern of storing my bike in the winter months outside would be the crazy temperature changes we have here along with possibility of hoses, belts. ect cracking. Removing the battery and so-called "winterizing" the bike with fuel stabilizer seems simple enough. It is some of the other weather-related things I would be concerned with.

Questions
06-11-2016, 03:52 PM
I've got a Cycle Cabana on a tarp in the back yard. It's rather similar to the Bike Barn. Has the same problems with snow so I plan to see if I can pay the local dealership to store the bike for me this winter. Last winter the dealer who sold it to me kept it in his garage as part of the deal.

I also have the heavy Can-Am outdoor cover and it does a very good job of keeping the bike dry. I also use S100 brand corrosion inhibitor.

lizmcg
06-11-2016, 04:18 PM
My concern of storing my bike in the winter months outside would be the crazy temperature changes we have here along with possibility of hoses, belts. ect cracking. Removing the battery and so-called "winterizing" the bike with fuel stabilizer seems simple enough. It is some of the other weather-related things I would be concerned with.

I know. My dealer doesn't have room to store bikes, but I'm thinking of asking other dealerships of other brands if they might, or I might try to find a temperature-controlled self-storage place with electricity for a battery tender. I also have the BRP full cover, and I'll use that, too. Meanwhile, the Bike Barn gives me some peace of mind and protection from pretty much everything, not to mention convenience compared to the cover. Also, the cover wouldn't let me use the flag mounts or the passenger seat bag/backrest.

Bob Denman
06-11-2016, 04:49 PM
If you can't find another dealer who offers storage space for the Winter: the Bike Barn is your next "best bet"! :thumbup:

kbwitt
06-11-2016, 04:55 PM
Be for you spend a dime, better check your tonwhouse cc&r's I can not believe they will let you put anything other thana full cover on bike. I know budgets tight but go on line for a small storage unit with a roll up door.
You will find very different prices on same size, it depends on location some are kind of resalable.
I think you are buyingthe best bike RT S great features. I do not think limited is a good price because of luggage & gps
Good luck Kenn

Deanna777
06-12-2016, 05:27 PM
I cover my spyder in the summer with a BRP full cover,( it is made of Tough water repellent, breathable 300 denier polyester. The 2 tone cover provides maximum vehicle protection) I have the full cover for 4 years. I keep my spyder in my driveway during the summer.

In the Winter I have my spyder stored at a Dealership. ( From Oct. to April)

I live in VT.

Deanna

Mazo EMS2
06-12-2016, 08:03 PM
Hmmm, the bike barn looks interesting for the riding season, but for the off months, I think I'd seek out a friend with some space or some option of a sturdy building. Ice, sleet, snow, wet snow/rain....well you guys know how that goes...

ShortCake
06-12-2016, 08:34 PM
I cover my spyder in the summer with a BRP full cover,( it is made of Tough water repellent, breathable 300 denier polyester. The 2 tone cover provides maximum vehicle protection) I have the full cover for 4 years. I keep my spyder in my driveway during the summer.

In the Winter I have my spyder stored at a Dealership. ( From Oct. to April)

I live in VT.

Deanna

When you have time, could you post a pic of the cover on the bike? Also, do you remember about how much you spent? I am hoping that the dealer gives me a discount on the cover.

Thanks!

ShortCake
06-14-2016, 03:55 PM
Is there anyone willing to show me the cover on their bike and how much they paid (average)?

I was also curious as to how many of you just throw a cheap tarp over it when you KNOW you are going to ride it day in and day out? I was thinking of doing this because it would cut-out the time consuming labor or constantly putting the full cover on and off daily. Then when you know it's going to be sitting or raining, the full cover would then be called for. Just not sure if anyone does this.

frogfly
06-14-2016, 04:18 PM
We bought the partial cover to use on ours, but we do have a parking garage in our building. It is easy to put on/take off and folds into an attached zip bag. It's about 7" x 8" folded up and fits easily into any of the compartments. I don't have a pic with it on our bike, but it looks exactly like you see in the pic on the revzilla site.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tour-master-select-can-am-spyder-rt-half-motorcycle-cover

If the dealer doesn't throw in a full cover, you can find them on Amazon for under $100 and one of the sites sponsors has a really nice looking one too.

http://store.valueaccessories.net/UltraGardCAN-AMSpyderRTCover.aspx

In my opinion, either cover option would be money better spent than using a cheap tarp.

Welcome to the Spyder side of life. Safe travels.

lizmcg
06-14-2016, 06:27 PM
Is there anyone willing to show me the cover on their bike and how much they paid (average)?

I was also curious as to how many of you just throw a cheap tarp over it when you KNOW you are going to ride it day in and day out? I was thinking of doing this because it would cut-out the time consuming labor or constantly putting the full cover on and off daily. Then when you know it's going to be sitting or raining, the full cover would then be called for. Just not sure if anyone does this.

I paid the list price minus 15%. I knew the Spyder would be outside and needed immediate protection. Once you get a routine down, it doesn't take long to put on the cover, and even less to take it off. I just folded the front and back ends onto the seat, forming a long sausage shape, then carried it that way into the garage for the duration of the ride; reverse the procedure to put it back on. You do have to wait for everything to cool down. The full cover is quite large and not something you'd want to take along with you without a trailer. The travel cover is much smaller but doesn't cover the body, mainly the windshield, seat, and controls. You can get the BRP cover on Amazon, but you'll pay the full price or near it. Do a search for "Can Am RT cover" and see what's available, then decide on the price/quality/fit trade-off.

Deanna777
06-14-2016, 07:20 PM
When you have time, could you post a pic of the cover on the bike? Also, do you remember about how much you spent? I am hoping that the dealer gives me a discount on the cover.

Thanks!Here is a picture of my spyder with a full cover on: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=132168&stc=1 Front of Spyder http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=132169&stc=1 left side of spyder. I don't remember how much I paid for the "Full Cover". Deanna

Deanna777
06-14-2016, 07:27 PM
I paid the list price minus 15%. I knew the Spyder would be outside and needed immediate protection. Once you get a routine down, it doesn't take long to put on the cover, and even less to take it off. I just folded the front and back ends onto the seat, forming a long sausage shape, then carried it that way into the garage for the duration of the ride; reverse the procedure to put it back on. You do have to wait for everything to cool down. The full cover is quite large and not something you'd want to take along with you without a trailer. The travel cover is much smaller but doesn't cover the body, mainly the windshield, seat, and controls. You can get the BRP cover on Amazon, but you'll pay the full price or near it. Do a search for "Can Am RT cover" and see what's available, then decide on the price/quality/fit trade-off.It does take me long to "Cover " my spyder. I start @ the back( trunk) then I uncover the left side, front,( frunk) over the windshield, then the right side. Then carry it and put some where else.

I also have a "half Cover"(comes with it own bag) that I keep in the Frunk, it is there if I need it.
Deanna

Deanna777
06-14-2016, 07:30 PM
Hmmm, the bike barn looks interesting for the riding season, but for the off months, I think I'd seek out a friend with some space or some option of a sturdy building. Ice, sleet, snow, wet snow/rain....well you guys know how that goes...Yes, I do know how that goes( Ice, snow, wet snow, Wind, sleet freezing rain, :banghead::banghead: ) I put mine in Winter storage ( at a dealership) Deanna

Hokiev
06-15-2016, 07:56 AM
In your case I think a full cover might work best, however the Bike Barn, as stated both others is perfect in my case. The second picture was after a heavy snow of over 15" last winter. You will note there is no snow on the top. I placed a cheap portable heater (less than $20 I got at Tractor Supply) and set it on the lowest fan speed and heat setting. Kept the snow off the cover throughout this storm and all other storms this past winter.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=132220&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=132222&stc=1

lizmcg
06-15-2016, 11:08 AM
However the Bike Barn, as stated both others is perfect in my case. The second picture was after a heavy snow of over 15" last winter. You will note there is no snow on the top. I placed a cheap portable heater (less than $20 I got at Tractor Supply) and set it on the lowest fan speed and heat setting. Kept the snow off the cover throughout this storm and all other storms this past winter.

That's very encouraging, since I live right around the corner from you (Lake of the Woods in northern Orange County). I got the dehumidifier that Bike Barn sells when I bought the BB, and it's probably similar to what you have. I haven't hooked it up yet, but I never thought it might also keep the snow off. Just out of curiosity, do you have any contingency plans for hurricanes? That's one thing that worries me---high winds.:pray:

SpyderHands
06-15-2016, 02:29 PM
Here's something I saw recently. Another option for sure.

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/retractable-motorcycle-cover--standard-models-and-sport-bikes/part/SWS-MTS-GRY?utm_source=adwordsfroogle&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=adwordsfroogle&utm_content=43276&gclid=CJ6Zr-Phqs0CFUQvgQodG4UOYw

ShortCake
06-15-2016, 02:39 PM
I decided on the Nelson-Riggs Full Cover. The user ratings were very good and I also got a great deal through Motorcycle Superstore located in Texas. I paid $99 with FREE shipping which is GUARANTEED to get to me in 1-3 days. I couldn't ask for anything better since I will be picking her up on Saturday.

Thanks for all of the info/pictures. It would be nice if I was allowed to have a more secure enclosure here (like the bike barn) but it is not permissible. Will look into winter storage at some local dealers for pricing.

Hokiev
06-16-2016, 08:48 AM
That's very encouraging, since I live right around the corner from you (Lake of the Woods in northern Orange County). I got the dehumidifier that Bike Barn sells when I bought the BB, and it's probably similar to what you have. I haven't hooked it up yet, but I never thought it might also keep the snow off. Just out of curiosity, do you have any contingency plans for hurricanes? That's one thing that worries me---high winds.:pray:

The heater I have has 2 fan speeds and a variable heat setting. I am not sure if the unit Bike Barn sells has heat.

Regarding hurricanes, I modified the front clamps and when I "lock" the front bar into these clamps the cover is very taught and even with high storm winds we have had it barely moves. While there not not been any hurricane force winds I don't think it will be affected. See this link for the clamps I used.

Bike Barn modification (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?90493-Bike-Barn-modification&highlight=Bike+Barn)

If you ever want to stop by to see how it looks clamped down just PM me. I live behind Riverbend HS off Rt. 3.

lizmcg
06-16-2016, 11:39 AM
;)Thanks! I read your post on the modification, and I'm thinking about it, but as you can see from my photos, I don't have a plywood platform so I can't bolt the fasteners down. I'm thinking of some kind of mod of the mod to make it work, but I'll have to experiment. We may get some wind tonight that'll test it:yikes:, but I think it's pretty stable even as it is with the Spyder tires on the anchor plates. I may you up on the visit, too, later! :D

ShortCake
06-17-2016, 08:22 AM
I ordered the Nelson-Riggs Cover on Wednesday through Motorcycle Superstore..main reason I went with them was not only free shipping, but, they guaranteed 1-3 day delivery. I called yesterday because I never received a confirmation email with tracking number. Thank goodness I did! They told me the cover was out of stock and a new estimated delivery of next week was given. I was pissed and told them that it's fine and dandy "BUT" your customer service stinks!! If I would have never called, I would have been sitting here waiting for my cover just for it not to be delivered. I canceled my order with them immediately. I went ahead and ordered the same cover with Dennis Kirk and it was actually cheaper for the same cover! I am still not going to get it until next week :mad:

I am up for suggestions. I was thinking of using an old sheet along with pillow cases to go over the frunk and windshield and then buying a cheap tarp to go over that. Some have suggested that I should just leave it unprotected until I get the cover, for these machines are fine out in the elements (rain and heat/sun here this time of year). I live in a townhome so there are kids around here. I know that if I was a kid and saw a pretty yellow machine out in the open, I'd wanna touch it or sit on it, therefore, covering it is a priority at this point. Thanks in advance if ya have any tips or suggestions :thumbup:

SpyderHands
06-17-2016, 08:55 AM
I ordered the Nelson-Riggs Cover on Wednesday through Motorcycle Superstore..main reason I went with them was not only free shipping, but, they guaranteed 1-3 day delivery. I called yesterday because I never received a confirmation email with tracking number. Thank goodness I did! They told me the cover was out of stock and a new estimated delivery of next week was given. I was pissed and told them that it's fine and dandy "BUT" your customer service stinks!! If I would have never called, I would have been sitting here waiting for my cover just for it not to be delivered. I canceled my order with them immediately. I went ahead and ordered the same cover with Dennis Kirk and it was actually cheaper for the same cover! I am still not going to get it until next week :mad:

I am up for suggestions. I was thinking of using an old sheet along with pillow cases to go over the frunk and windshield and then buying a cheap tarp to go over that. Some have suggested that I should just leave it unprotected until I get the cover, for these machines are fine out in the elements (rain and heat/sun here this time of year). I live in a townhome so there are kids around here. I know that if I was a kid and saw a pretty yellow machine out in the open, I'd wanna touch it or sit on it, therefore, covering it is a priority at this point. Thanks in advance if ya have any tips or suggestions :thumbup:You could always just rent a storage unit or have one of those P.O.D.'s delivered? Or, gather a few refrigerator boxes and setup a perimeter around it. :clap:

Probably not the best suggestions, but I wanted to at least make a contribution.

On a serious note, hope all works out!!! :thumbup:

daveinva
06-17-2016, 10:09 AM
FYI, I was the one who enjoyed a Bike Barn that collapsed due to snow. :banghead:

I've had a barn since 2011. Same aluminum frame, but I bought a replacement cover in 2015. I found that my first cover got brittle over time in the sunlight (read: easy to poke holes through, but you can patch with tent repair kit), plus it gets a little ganky (is that a word?) on the outside with dirt/mold/etc.

That said, it's still the easiest and fastest way to cover the Spyder in a driveway-- lift it up, pull it down, easy-peasy. Plus, even with Spyder parked there's still room under the barn, so I've kept a little plastic garden box with miscellaneous items, cleaning materials, my bike lift, etc.

RE: the "heater" sold by Bike Barn-- that's just for dehumidification, it won't warm the actual Barn at all. I had that heater for years, but eventually it died, and I've simply gone without it since, and haven't noticed any issues *inside* the Barn. I just always keep the roof vents velcroed open, everything stays fine under it. If you want to put a space heater under there in the winter, YMMV.

Bottom line: it's well worth the price, but it'll never be as good as an actual garage, so manage your expectations accordingly!

ShortCake
06-17-2016, 10:26 AM
FYI, I was the one who enjoyed a Bike Barn that collapsed due to snow. :banghead:

I've had a barn since 2011. Same aluminum frame, but I bought a replacement cover in 2015. I found that my first cover got brittle over time in the sunlight (read: easy to poke holes through, but you can patch with tent repair kit), plus it gets a little ganky (is that a word?) on the outside with dirt/mold/etc.

That said, it's still the easiest and fastest way to cover the Spyder in a driveway-- lift it up, pull it down, easy-peasy. Plus, even with Spyder parked there's still room under the barn, so I've kept a little plastic garden box with miscellaneous items, cleaning materials, my bike lift, etc.

RE: the "heater" sold by Bike Barn-- that's just for dehumidification, it won't warm the actual Barn at all. I had that heater for years, but eventually it died, and I've simply gone without it since, and haven't noticed any issues *inside* the Barn. I just always keep the roof vents velcroed open, everything stays fine under it. If you want to put a space heater under there in the winter, YMMV.

Bottom line: it's well worth the price, but it'll never be as good as an actual garage, so manage your expectations accordingly!

I'm sorry but I am not sure who you are talking to with the above suggestion/post. I know "lizmcg" was mentioning in my thread about a humidifier and heater in a bike barn, but, I mentioned several times in this thread that I cannot use anything like a bike barn due to me being in a townhome. It is not permissible here.

In the meantime until I get my full cover, I am looking for suggestions as to how to cover the bike until it gets here (a sheet then a tarp over it was my suggestion). The bike has to be totally covered due to kids in my development (I would not be surprised that if I left it without any protection, kids would swarm around it and even possibly touch and sit on the bike).

SPYDERGUY1
06-18-2016, 09:15 PM
I had a portable storage garage, used it for years, never had an issue with snow load, perhaps due to placement, was beside the fence, and also covered by the garage( not mine) and another storage . Worked good for years till a portinn of the roof rotted away. Eventually gave the thing ( frame only ) to a couple that wanted a Gazebo type unit ( made their own covering ) and used it for their 25 wedding anniversary. SO THEY DO WORK , and I live in an Igloo >>>> NYUK NYUK:yes:

PatrickM
06-21-2016, 05:30 AM
If any of you have neighborhood cats, a cover is needed as they love to sit on the seat and sharpen their claws. The small travel cover has room for a cat to get under so I added extra lightweight straps to the sides and cinch it down so they can't get under. The large full sized cover is tempting for them to sit on top of it and, yes, sharpen their claws. A piece of plastic tablecloth cut to cover the center of the cover an attached with plastic clamps at the bottom creates an unpleasant surface.

ShortCake
09-21-2016, 04:34 PM
I have been pleasantly surprised with the Nelson-Rigg full cover I purchased with no issues whatsoever..I did purchase 2 bungee cords to attach to the front where there are 2 grommets and that has helped tremendously when the wind picks up. I also used a suggestion that a fellow spyderlover mentioned: This specific cover causes some scratches on the frunk and trunk area and I have therefore used an old pillow case (cut-to-fit) for the trunk and an old fitted-sheet over the windshield which flows over the frunk. No scratches to be seen.
Enjoying my RT with no issues at all (knock on wood) and my favorite time of year to ride has arrived :yes:

Bob Denman
09-21-2016, 04:55 PM
Glad to hear that your solution seems to be working just fine! :clap: :2thumbs:
But you could also keep an eye out for Garage Space, that's for rent in your area...
Nothing beats a climate-controlled environment; when the temperatures start dropping.

Brettssunshine
09-21-2016, 06:48 PM
Shortcake, have you thought about asking around at the Amish farms to see if one would be willing to "rent" you some space in one of their barns? My husband use to rent a small space in a barn for his boat.

IGETAROUND
09-21-2016, 07:03 PM
I am in the middle of purchasing a 2015 RT S SE6 leftover with a deep discount at the dealer. In fact, the bike is still in the warehouse in the box! Anyway, my main question is for those that do NOT have a garage.

I live in a townhome with a cul-de-sac. We have assigned parking spaces but with the kids here, ect. I do not trust it out there with a cover. During the riding season, I do plan on keeping it on my back porch (which is a cement pad). Call me crazy, but I have not ridden in a couple years and miss 2 wheels. With having a bad knee, I am now at the mercy of 3-wheels and I do not want to wait any longer, for life is passing me by while I see myself continuing to say "next year". Even with a decent amount down, I will have a monthly payment close to the same as my SUV along with insurance. A storage unit monthly is NOT in my budget.

Is there anyone here that keeps their spyder outside with a high quality cover? What do you do in the winter? Any/all suggestions are appreciated :helpsmilie:

Thanks!

If it's still in the crate, and you're not in a hurry to take possession, have the dealer keep it in the crate in their warehouse over the winter. Give them a build and delivery to you date in the Spring and at least for this year your problem is solved. Most dealers that you purchase from will store over the winter for no or a small fee. Then start asking your friends if they have a storage space you might rent for the winter for next year. There are also bike barn awning structures that others have used for outdoor storage. Or you could get a prefab shed from Lowe's to park in your back yard.

Deanna777
09-21-2016, 07:28 PM
Check with your insurance company, to see what they say. They might have winter storage plans. Deanna

tecnodog7
09-21-2016, 10:04 PM
Here's something I saw recently. Another option for sure.

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/retractable-motorcycle-cover--standard-models-and-sport-bikes/part/SWS-MTS-GRY?utm_source=adwordsfroogle&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=adwordsfroogle&utm_content=43276&gclid=CJ6Zr-Phqs0CFUQvgQodG4UOYw

Is that big enough for the can am. I'm having the same issue. We have a driveway landlord won't allow for a shed so I'm looking for options of cover but the bike barn looks AMAZING!

wanderingman
09-21-2016, 10:56 PM
When I hear of a budget too tight to rent storage space I can identify with the sentiment. I was too short to buy the Spyder in the first place. I might get some laughs out of this but I drive Uber to make my Spyder payments. At least until we sell a home we have in Texas. Drive Uber a few evenings per month and you can afford to rent a storage unit.

Brettssunshine
09-22-2016, 07:29 AM
When I hear of a budget too tight to rent storage space I can identify with the sentiment. I was too short to buy the Spyder in the first place. I might get some laughs out of this but I drive Uber to make my Spyder payments. At least until we sell a home we have in Texas. Drive Uber a few evenings per month and you can afford to rent a storage unit.

I won't laugh at that! I have friends that make decent money on the side driving for Uber. Interesting story: my husband was on a business trip in Rhode Island a couple of months ago and the Uber driver that picked them up was the CEO of a huge corporation; he did it for the relaxation. But the funny thing was he drove a Tesla SUV to pick up his riders. He would put it on auto-pilot, kick back, and have conversations.

wanderingman
09-22-2016, 07:43 AM
I won't laugh at that! I have friends that make decent money on the side driving for Uber. Interesting story: my husband was on a business trip in Rhode Island a couple of months ago and the Uber driver that picked them up was the CEO of a huge corporation; he did it for the relaxation. But the funny thing was he drove a Tesla SUV to pick up his riders. He would put it on auto-pilot, kick back, and have conversations.

Brettssunshine, thanks for the comment. Actually I not only make extra money, I get interaction with a lot of great people. On very rare occasions I get a jerk, but in almost 6 months I could number the jerks on one hand.

Bob Denman
09-22-2016, 07:43 AM
Sunshine... I like your signature picture! :D :2thumbs:

Brettssunshine
09-22-2016, 07:52 AM

Thank you!

jaherbst
09-22-2016, 08:51 AM

Easy now Bob.

​Jack

burg650
09-22-2016, 08:54 AM
You may want to consider finding a garage, most will rent space for winter as long as its not a in and out use. Just check with your insurance to see if they will cover this type of storage should there be a claim for anything.

jaherbst
09-22-2016, 09:06 AM
Just a note here: The Nelson Rigg cover in no way can be compared to the Heavy duty BRP outdoor cover. the Nelson Rigg is only light nylon and will not give you much protection. ( $74.00 @ Cycle Gear) I have one and use it only for travel. Packs very small and easy to use.

The BRP Custom outdoor vehicle cover is 300-denier polyester. and costs $229.99. Part #219400173. I had one and was going to store at the house but the garage was full. Very heavy duty and breathable. (no mildew).
I decided shortly there after to store the RTL at my hanger and sold it to another Spyderlover on here.

Jack

Bob Denman
09-22-2016, 09:55 AM
:agree: BRP's full-cover is a really substantial hunk of materials... nojoke
It probably IS worth every penny that it costs. :thumbup:

MurrayBrown
09-22-2016, 11:53 AM
I am in the middle of purchasing a 2015 RT S SE6 leftover with a deep discount at the dealer. In fact, the bike is still in the warehouse in the box! Anyway, my main question is for those that do NOT have a garage. I live in a townhome with a cul-de-sac. We have assigned parking spaces but with the kids here, ect. I do not trust it out there with a cover. During the riding season, I do plan on keeping it on my back porch (which is a cement pad). Call me crazy, but I have not ridden in a couple years and miss 2 wheels. With having a bad knee, I am now at the mercy of 3-wheels and I do not want to wait any longer, for life is passing me by while I see myself continuing to say "next year". Even with a decent amount down, I will have a monthly payment close to the same as my SUV along with insurance. A storage unit monthly is NOT in my budget. Is there anyone here that keeps their spyder outside with a high quality cover? What do you do in the winter? Any/all suggestions are appreciated :helpsmilie:
Thanks!

Congratulations! My hips (one replaced so far) and knees made me give up my Honda Shadow Aero and get a 2014 ST Limited last July on sale (new) at a remarkably reduced/negotiated price. You WILL enjoy your new bike!
I also do not have a garage. I purchased a top-of-the-line cover (not BRP) and that is all I use during riding season. I keep the bike as close to the house as possible, with one of our two vehicles "somewhat" blocking the view of the bike. Hastle free.
Winter ... read the Owner's Manual, and add on these: Fill the tank with Premium fuel; Stuff the engine area, under the seat area, truck and exhaust pipe(s) with dryer sheets ... mice hate those. Once the bike is covered with your summer cover, place another inexpensive plastic cover over that and securely snug up the sides.
Undoubtedly others on this Forum will have other tips and tricks.

MurrayBrown
09-22-2016, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the info. I see you live in Virginia and I am in PA, therefore, we know how the winters can be out this way. My concern of storing my bike in the winter months outside would be the crazy temperature changes we have here along with possibility of hoses, belts. ect cracking. Removing the battery and so-called "winterizing" the bike with fuel stabilizer seems simple enough. It is some of the other weather-related things I would be concerned with.

I have never removed a battery from any of my bikes. I don't use a battery tender or trickle charger, either. If the bike doesn't fire up in the spring, I use a battery charger.

ShortCake
09-22-2016, 02:43 PM
I was able to find storage..see my post: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?98054-Winter-Storage-Insurance-Etc

Jenfz09
09-22-2016, 05:05 PM
I'm in the same position as you now also. Originally, I moved my car out of my garage and put the Spyder there. I traded my Camaro for a much nicer car and now the Spyder is sitting outside. I was freaking the first time it got rained on, but it is what it is. We have the half cover and I'm going to get the full cover this weekend.

Deanna777
09-22-2016, 06:50 PM
I'm in the same position as you now also. Originally, I moved my car out of my garage and put the Spyder there. I traded my Camaro for a much nicer car and now the Spyder is sitting outside. I was freaking the first time it got rained on, but it is what it is. We have the half cover and I'm going to get the full cover this weekend.I use/and have a full cover on my spyder. I have had it for 4 years, and my spyder is outside in the summer. In the winter I store it @ at dealership and I use the full cover @the dealership.

The full cover is tough, water repellent, breathable 300 denier polyester. The 2 tone cover provides maximum vehicle protection while trailering or outdoor storing. Includes integrated exhaust panel and protective flannel windshield liner. Easy attach system secures cover in all trailing conditions. Deanna

ABBADABBA
11-03-2019, 06:00 PM
i have new cover it works well,but winter scares me in N.E. I may have to rearage my, shead lose my bench and lots of stuff. they dont like portabe any thing ,and i have a 92 Goldwing sitting in the driveway too.Nothing is easy .

UtahPete
11-03-2019, 06:27 PM
i have new cover it works well,but winter scares me in N.E. I may have to rearage my, shead lose my bench and lots of stuff. they dont like portabe any thing ,and i have a 92 Goldwing sitting in the driveway too.Nothing is easy .

Who is 'they'?

CopperSpyder
11-03-2019, 07:56 PM
Who is 'they'?

Start at post #1 dated 6-11-2016 :joke: the first few post talk about they, they have rules. I'm thinking maybe HOA.

UtahPete
11-03-2019, 08:25 PM
Start at post #1 dated 6-11-2016 :joke: the first few post talk about they, they have rules. I'm thinking maybe HOA.

I had to leave an HOA whose restrictions were in conflict with my lifestyle.

Bfromla
11-03-2019, 08:55 PM

Thanks!
Would you & the dealer be comfortable keeping it in the box until closer to spring?:dontknow: Go ahead & purchase or lock in with a deposit if required hopefully the dealer will cooperate for the extended time,:clap: (Should even be able save on insurance for the winter months if you don’t register till spring ):thumbup: also allowing you time to find storage options that fit your space restrictions a good enclosed trailer could dual purpose storage & transport if needed f you SUV can support it. :2thumbs:

Bfromla
11-03-2019, 09:19 PM
In your case I think a full cover might work best, however the Bike Barn, as stated both others is perfect in my case. The second picture was after a heavy snow of over 15" last winter. You will note there is no snow on the top. I placed a cheap portable heater (less than $20 I got at Tractor Supply) and set it on the lowest fan speed and heat setting. Kept the snow off the cover throughout this storm and all other storms this past winter.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=132220&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=132222&stc=1
A 60W droplight can do wonders too:thumbup: like :shemademe_smilie:EZ bake ovens, our winters down here don’t get snow but like every 10yr or so but still cold enough for dads 84 Diesel 1ton truck to need some overnight warmth. & rather than installing a block heater & risk another part breaking or failing, went simple & just kept a drop light under the hood each night (sorry don’t know where, just under the hood). & when we had attic jobs he would have a quartz halogen work light warm it up & keep it warm for us. Several houses requested we leave the light it warmed up enough. Dad was a MASTER Electrician by the way.:firstplace:

Wmoater
11-04-2019, 08:03 AM
I have three-four suggestions.... First for $20 a month just rent a 5’ wide 8’ storage unit. If not, Are you allowed to have a trailer parked? If so, get a simple flatbread trailer for $750 put 2x4 along the side and make it enclosed then you have a trailer to take later if you want. ( Tractor supply is around the corner) Third they make fiberglass covers for snowmobile trailers to go over a trailer. Go find a used one for $200 and screw 2x4 mini wall under them to elevate it up and you have a cover that will last forever. I have seen 4 feet of snow ontop of them up in michigan. They will not break. If not build a wooden crate and make your own cover. I’m in the snow belt area and we get way more than you do doubled and I would never use an alumium frame tarp cover to hold snow back. Here even the temp metal topped metal canapys get broken from the winds and snow. Look outside any motorsport dealer those boxes that the snowmobiles, Spyders, maverick etc last forever. Just build a crate for. 2x4 walls, 1/2” plywood walls and screws so you can take it apart in sections for the next year. Talk to some storage areas and see if you can simply leave the crate outside on the lot. I know guys that rent spots up here for $75 a winter starting in November and ending in May. Remake the crate, drive it in, close the back and open in the spring on the lot. Your insurance will cover it. You don’t need there added insurance. It’s a 15 minute drive north a bit but just outside cranberry 79 there are huge camper storage lots.

GSSpyder2008
11-04-2019, 08:14 AM

Brilliant cover/garage. The problem sometimes with close fitting plastic covers is when it gets a little sunny and gravel/mud drive is the condensation it generates.

ABBADABBA
11-05-2019, 04:22 PM
We live in a 55 pluse park and it is part of there rules.

Mikey
11-05-2019, 04:33 PM
You guy's know this post started in 2016 right!! I do like the fold over cover!!!!:roflblack::2thumbs: Man we have no life do we??:yikes:

ABBADABBA
11-18-2019, 07:51 PM
ok every one ,what are all of you folks use to keep the gas stable ,no pun inteded.

Michaelscs
11-18-2019, 09:29 PM
ok every one ,what are all of you folks use to keep the gas stable ,no pun inteded.

I use Seafoam in all my toys. I use to use Stabil, but I've had it go bad in the bottle after less than a year and gas in my snowmobiles go bad using it.

pegasus1300
11-18-2019, 09:56 PM
StarTron. It works very well. Been using it for 3 years and no problems.

troop
11-19-2019, 06:49 AM
I've been using either Star Tron or Seafoam, whatever is on sale. Never had issues with either.