PDA

View Full Version : Is this tire pluggable?

llyrad
06-10-2016, 12:34 PM
Have a small puncture and was considering plugging it. But as I've never done it before (but understand how its done), I just want to make sure the location of puncture should be plugged or tire replaced?
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=131852&stc=1

cuznjohn
06-10-2016, 12:36 PM
not on a side wall

Smokinspyder
06-10-2016, 12:36 PM
If that is a side wall then I don't believe it should be plugged. At least from what I recall but my memory is starting to go on me so I would replace it if it is a side wall. Unless someone with better knowledge can suggest a different approach,

Bob Denman
06-10-2016, 12:37 PM
Judging by the foam: it appears to be up in the tread area... that would be pluggable.

But I'd never plug the tire on a Spyder... It's just better to replace it. nojoke

(But that's just me! :D)

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
06-10-2016, 12:37 PM
NO & on a bike a plug is only temporary should be done as a combi patch

Bob Denman
06-10-2016, 12:38 PM
Al,
Would you please remind him of your qualifications? :thumbup:

finless
06-10-2016, 01:50 PM
You are never suppose to plug on a sidewall.

Bob

MikeT
06-10-2016, 02:06 PM
Judging by the foam: it appears to be up in the tread area... that would be pluggable.

But I'd never plug the tire on a Spyder... It's just better to replace it. nojoke

(But that's just me! :D)
Sorry Bob, you're not alone in feeling this way. I willl only have a MC ot trike tire plugged as a temporary "fix" until I can get it replaced. This is especially true of the 2-ply tires on a Spyder.

blacklightning
06-10-2016, 02:08 PM
I have only plugged the sidewall of a tire two times. Both were on my 21 hp huskavana lawn mower. Anything that will go faster than a lawn mower, I would replace the tire.

robertl
06-10-2016, 02:32 PM
Should never plug the sidewall of a street tire. I would make an exception to get off the side of the road to a shop but not as a perm fix.

https://www.kaltire.com/why-cant-you-repair-tires-with-a-punctured-sidewall/

I've run a plug on a few Jeep tires right at the edge of the tread and just had to replace the plug after a few years.
Really plugs are supposed to be a temp solution. Patch will only hold under the tread area.
Most tire shops won't touch anything with a sidewall puncture because of the liability/risk.

Chupaca
06-10-2016, 02:56 PM
Wait....I will plug any tire anywhere to get me home. Slow ryde but you don't get much help where I ryde and it will hold till then. On a motorcyle I would not go long on a plugged tire especially the rear one. I have done some strange things to tires to keep going growing up in a third world where you don't get sued for waking up. In this case I would change the tire. By the way no shop will plug a tire car or otherwise....:lecturef_smilie:

Motorcycledave
06-10-2016, 03:42 PM
NEVER plug a tire in the sidewall
if you do, be sure your life insurance
is paid up for your next of kin...
Always Ride Safe
Dave

Have a small puncture and was considering plugging it. But as I've never done it before (but understand how its done), I just want to make sure the location of puncture should be plugged or tire replaced?
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=131852&stc=1

trikermutha
06-10-2016, 03:51 PM
Like others have stated I would not attempt repairs. That is to close to the sidewall. Temp repair to get home maybe but that's all. Looks like a new tire is in the picture now..

Good Luck!

rcturner
06-10-2016, 03:58 PM
not on a side wall

:agree::agree::agree:

Cruzr Joe
06-10-2016, 04:38 PM
The answer to this is simple. if you need to plug it to get you to a safe place, do so, but drive slowly and carefully and replace the tire as soon as you get to the safe place, if you are at a safe place, replace the tire.

Cruzr Joe

d.o.spyder-rts
06-10-2016, 04:47 PM
:agree: not to plug except in an emergency situation and then replace tire asap. Dale

SPYDERGUY1
06-10-2016, 09:35 PM
:agree: REPLACE THE TIRE......... It need's to be done.

llyrad
06-10-2016, 11:02 PM
Thanks for all your input, taking it in to get replaced on Monday. Only reason I even considered plugging was I just put 3 new tires on last month, hehe. O well, fronts aren't that bad. Thanks again.

Tnpapa
06-11-2016, 09:51 AM
:agree: REPLACE THE TIRE......... It need's to be done.

For sure

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
06-11-2016, 10:08 AM
Al,
Would you please remind him of your qualifications? :thumbup:

My qualifications?, i am your average tire guy and most of the cars we work on are high end euro's. i also
have been in the biz for over 30 years and am road force certified as all my employees must be.
besides that i am a spyder schnook that takes no chances when it comes to safety.

ARtraveler
06-11-2016, 02:12 PM
Based on what I have gleaned from the above--no plugs for me. :bowdown::bowdown: