PDA

View Full Version : Spyder caught fire today

owcow
06-09-2016, 06:41 PM
Doesn't belong to me but I am curious the outcome with CanAm

http://www.news4jax.com/news/man-says-can-am-spyder-caught-fire-during-road-trip#

Mazo EMS2
06-09-2016, 07:05 PM
Yikes....I have a 2010 RT.....ruh roh...

wyliec
06-09-2016, 07:40 PM

http://www.news4jax.com/news/man-says-can-am-spyder-caught-fire-during-road-trip#

You'll never know, as it will be between the owner, and BRP. Once the owner agrees on a settlement, if BRP offers one, the settlement will have a confidentiality clause included. I had a problem, not concerning a fire issue, and they made an offer, and it had the confidentiality clause.

If, however, BRP finds there may be other spyders involved, there may be a recall based on VIN; there's also another term used, other than recall, when BRP deems the issue not as serious.

Sam Mac
06-09-2016, 07:42 PM
"News4JAx reached out to Can-Am, the company that makes the vehicle, and a spokesperson sent the following statement Thursday afternoon:
"BRP is not aware of the incident in question. The customer should contact his dealer or BRP's customer service department at (888) 272-9222 so that a proper investigation can be conducted.

"Owners can access recall information on the Can-Am Spyder website, and they can enter their VIN directly to determine if a recall was issued on their vehicle."

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has investigated fires on Spyders before. News4Jax has not yet heard if it’ll launch an investigation due to Morales’ claims."

No problem here, just move along, standard BRP reply.

Edit: Remember to bring marshmallows for the cookout. :thumbup:

Bytemi
06-09-2016, 07:42 PM
Wow OK, so when I start look at new Spyders, they start exploding and catching fire. It might be better for BRP if I just stop looking for one.:joke:

When I got Billie, 2008 Premier Edition, the next week the reports of them catch fire was first announced.

WellsboroSpyder
06-09-2016, 07:47 PM
Things seem a little sketchy. Says it was a 2010 rts however they keep showing an F3 in the pix on the video. The funny smell, brake light and loss of brakes... hmmm wonder where someone's foot was resting. Glad no one was hurt but I get an odd feeling especially how quickly the attorney showed up.

jaherbst
06-09-2016, 07:54 PM

This showed up a week ago also???????

Jack

oldguyinTX
06-09-2016, 09:09 PM
Ever ridden a bottle rocket? Ask Ann, and a lot of other folks. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=131794&stc=1

IdahoMtnSpyder
06-09-2016, 10:44 PM
Could it have been one of those Spyders that had the recall, or advisory, or whatever it was, about brake fluid leaking onto the exhaust, and had never been fixed? To me the scenario fits, loss of brake fluid, leaking on exhaust, no brakes, brake light fault showing, and then presto, fire.

If it was subject to that recall & fix, and it was never done, he may not have much of a claim.

ARtraveler
06-09-2016, 11:00 PM
:welcome: and what an interesting first post to the site. Instead of reporting a fire incident, we have a tirade against BRP as well as a lawyer comment already. That sure did not take long to happen.

The other side, there have been less than 50 fires reported out of over 100,000 :spyder2:'s made. The odds are in your favor of not catching on fire.

And the cause on this one? :bbq::bbq::bbq:

I have a little bit of experience with the product and remain un-afraid. I am insured though, just in case. :yes:

Chupaca
06-10-2016, 03:50 AM
But looks fishy to me. This one has been around :dontknow: lawyer on the scene who has done extensive research on the problem, video showing different models etc. We don'the know why, how or when for sure and the driver looked totally recouped. ..:dontknow:

rogerb
06-10-2016, 05:02 AM
This has the markings of a SCAM. He jumped off of a Spyder at 50 mph rolled on the grass, sustained injuries but got up and thought to take out his phone and take a movie of the spyder burning. Same day as this is reported his lawyer makes a statement that he has done extensive research into the fire problem. He's good. I like the remains after the fire nothing left. Doesn't even look like the fire department was called Too many question marks on this one. Looks like someone didn't get offered enough towards a trade-in. ???

owcow
06-10-2016, 05:15 AM
I would have to lean towards he was dragging the brake pedal and overheated them to the point of a fire. I've demo'd a spyder every chance I could and I know it has always been mentioned to be careful about accidently resting your foot on the pedal.

The article had caught my attention as I live in Jacksonville same as this guy. I also remembered reading on here about a member or two having issues with fires before.
I may need to go to three wheels soon and definitely consider the spyder the first choice. This forum has been a great wealth of information.

zuni
06-10-2016, 05:35 AM
This has the markings of a SCAM. He jumped off of a Spyder at 50 mph rolled on the grass, sustained injuries but got up and thought to take out his phone and take a movie of the spyder burning. Same day as this is reported his lawyer makes a statement that he has done extensive research into the fire problem. He's good. I like the remains after the fire nothing left. Doesn't even look like the fire department was called Too many question marks on this one. Looks like someone didn't get offered enough towards a trade-in. ???

Lots of holes. The bike had mods done by the owner. Contributed...who knows. Made his own plates to block the hot air on his right foot. Had a muffler shop make a bypass pipe. Who knows the quality and how it held up to the movement and vibration. Jumped of at 50 MPH and 6 months ago he was in the hospital and couldn't move because of back problems, has had two back surgeries. And he walks away?? Not only did he take the video, he undocked his phone from the bike before bailing. 50 MPH = ~75 feet per second and the bike was only 40 feet away when there were multiple large explosions. So it stopped in less than a second? Or was he able to run down the road chasing it? Who knows, maybe it all happened as he said. Sad fact it BRP will probably settle just to make it go away.

Doubting Thomas

ijon1
06-10-2016, 06:02 AM
Sounds real fishy.

WellsboroSpyder
06-10-2016, 06:35 AM
Things seem a little sketchy. Says it was a 2010 rts however they keep showing an F3 in the pix on the video. The funny smell, brake light and loss of brakes... hmmm wonder where someone's foot was resting. Glad no one was hurt but I get an odd feeling especially how quickly the attorney showed up.
I know how the media distorts things and maybe that's what makes this seem fishy. So I apologize for maybe jumping to conclusions. I know our 15 rts has none of the heat issues of the 13. It's comforting when I lift the seat to refuel and I'm not blasted by heat.

Bob Denman
06-10-2016, 06:46 AM
I think that Jack is right; the area of the fire looks suspiciously like the area of the last Spyder fire that we saw...
The 2010 RTs were NOT prone to becoming bottle-rockets... nojoke
I throw the Bull-:cus: towel into the ring on this report.

finless
06-10-2016, 09:57 AM
This showed up a week ago also???????

Jack

Yes this is the same thing I posted a week ago or so.... It appeared on Facebook in the Can-Am group.
It is legit...

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?94131-Another-fire&highlight=fire

Bob

finless
06-10-2016, 10:04 AM
FYI, this on happened in Hawaii about 4 months ago.

But it appears he may have done his own service replacing the ECM himself? Not sure...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-aczM9BMjU

Bob

finless
06-10-2016, 10:31 AM
FYI this is his FB page.... several posts about the fire.

https://www.facebook.com/william.morales.5055?ref=br_rs

Bob

bronzeflex42
06-10-2016, 12:10 PM
Another Spyder fire, is always sad news. Glad dude is ok. :yikes::yikes:

zuni
06-10-2016, 12:16 PM
FYI this is his FB page.... several posts about the fire.

https://www.facebook.com/william.morales.5055?ref=br_rs

Bob

I know him and there is not a question that it burned. Now the how and why on the other hand.........

CJ JAX

finless
06-10-2016, 12:19 PM
I know him and there is not a question that it burned. Now the how and why on the other hand.........

CJ JAX

I am going to guess here based on the report. He lost his brakes thus I think he got a brake fluid leak for "whatever reason" and since brake fluid is very flammable, when it hit the engine or exhaust, it caught fire.

While this was not a known issue on the 2010 it was on the 2013 because they moved the brake fluid tank and it would melt and leak.

Bob

Bob Denman
06-10-2016, 12:19 PM
If you find out anything: please let us know... :thumbup:

gkamer
06-10-2016, 09:50 PM
you carry insurance.

SPYDERGUY1
06-10-2016, 10:22 PM
Yes, You, Bob, Lamont, Nancy's toy, are the names that come to mind, and the myriade of others, have had no issues and are not afraid. ADD my name to the list.

Ron2andia
06-10-2016, 11:01 PM
Glad he is ok and hope the reason comes to light... Also wondering why they keep showing an F3 in the video as well....

Ron2andia
06-10-2016, 11:07 PM
Just watched the second video from Hawaii.. That guy sounded quite happy to watch his baby burn... I would have been soooo upset... Maybe he was so mad he had to laugh.

M109Dreamer
06-10-2016, 11:13 PM
I see 2 things from this video. That ALL RT's will be included in the 2013 recall, like they should have from the git go. And #2, that guy will get a settlement and will be kept hush as the details, as BRP has done in the past.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

WellsboroSpyder
06-11-2016, 05:45 AM
I see 2 things from this video. That ALL RT's will be included in the 2013 recall, like they should have from the git go. And #2, that guy will get a settlement and will be kept hush as the details, as BRP has done in the past.

Don't know about the rest of you people, but our 2015 has no heat issues and therefore will not get a snorkel kit on it like the 2013.

M109Dreamer
06-11-2016, 09:00 AM
Don't know about the rest of you people, but our 2015 has no heat issues and therefore will not get a snorkel kit on it like the 2013.
Correct, the heat issues seem to be between 2010-2013. What I saying was that BRP should of included ALL 998's in the recall and not just the 13's. BRP wouldn't pick up the tab for out vents which isnt the issue since they weren't that $$$. My issue is that I believe they know the issues and only included the 13's because thats the year that the complainant/PD had instead of researching prior years with numerous reports of heat issues.

quasi
06-11-2016, 09:11 AM
Correct, the heat issues seem to be between 2010-2013. What I saying was that BRP should of included ALL 998's in the recall and not just the 13's. BRP wouldn't pick up the tab for out vents which isnt the issue since they weren't that $$$. My issue is that I believe they know the issues and only included the 13's because thats the year that the complainant/PD had instead of researching prior years with numerous reports of heat issues.

brp flat out refused my request for assistance with the heat issue on my 2012 rts. I told them I would never purchase another of their products. evidently they don't care one way or another.

Highwayman2013
06-11-2016, 09:16 AM
I know how the media distorts things and maybe that's what makes this seem fishy. So I apologize for maybe jumping to conclusions. I know our 15 rts has none of the heat issues of the 13. It's comforting when I lift the seat to refuel and I'm not blasted by heat.

You also did not want the heat fix as I recall and those that have had it are very happy with it.

M109Dreamer
06-11-2016, 09:22 AM
brp flat out refused my request for assistance with the heat issue on my 2012 rts. I told them I would never purchase another of their products. evidently they don't care one way or another.
I agree they don't. And the only way to personally affect change is don't spend your money with them. The wife likes to drive the spyder more than 2 wheels, if not I would of been gone a while ago. But she really likes it, except the heat issues. So my next step is to do the cat-bypass and wrap the exhaust after I install the vents hopefully this weekend.

Highwayman2013
06-11-2016, 09:22 AM

They put the 2013 scoops on my 2012, dealer asked and we received.

otter28169
06-11-2016, 09:53 AM
The spyder in question is at least six years old, I think if there were serious heat issues the bike would have caught fire long before it did. Especially with it being ridden in the area of the country that it is in. The only snorkel needed here is the one needed to help us breath because the BS is getting incredibly deep.

Just sayin'............

Tnpapa
06-11-2016, 10:00 AM
Sounds like insurance lightning

Bob Denman
06-11-2016, 10:00 AM
:shocked: We're not privy to all of the facts concerning this event, so speculation, AND about three bucks; will get us a cup of coffee... :banghead:

But :agree: with Chad...

hecoon
06-11-2016, 02:09 PM
:welcome: and what an interesting first post to the site. Instead of reporting a fire incident, we have a tirade against BRP as well as a lawyer comment already. That sure did not take long to happen.

The other side, there have been less than 50 fires reported out of over 100,000 :spyder2:'s made. The odds are in your favor of not catching on fire.

And the cause on this one? :bbq::bbq::bbq:

I have a little bit of experience with the product and remain un-afraid. I am insured though, just in case. :yes:

I have over 141000 on an 8 and 09 together neither one on fire yet

news item says I was modified. I wonder what was modifed

zuni
06-11-2016, 05:42 PM
I have over 141000 on an 8 and 09 together neither one on fire yet

news item says I was modified. I wonder what was modifed
The owner made his own side blocking plate to keep the heat off his foot, he never mentioned removing any panels from the bottom to have a place for the air to flow. He had a local muffler shop remove the cat and make up a replacement "y" section of pipe. He cut the wiring harness in places to add lighting and usb charging.

CJ JAX

Bob Denman
06-11-2016, 05:49 PM
Thanks for this information. :clap:
It still might be a little bit too soon, to call this wound: "self-inflicted".

sabrecrash
06-11-2016, 06:34 PM

http://can-am.brp.com/spyder/owners/safety/safety-recalls.html?content-par__1_col_1_sidebar_rig_content-col1-span6_news_list_start=3

zuni
06-11-2016, 06:48 PM
Thanks for this information. :clap:
It still might be a little bit too soon, to call this wound: "self-inflicted".
I agree Bob just sharing first hand knowledge not judgement. Contributed negligence maybe? There are other things but forum posts are often one sided. Some people live their lives as victims, their problem, I just don't care for it when they feel the need to make it mine or others. I have a 2014 RTs with the 1330 and changes in airflow to reduce the heat. I recently purchased the airflow kit that BRP provides the dealers as part of the recall for the 2013's. Cost me a whopping $57 dollars. I plan on doing the work just to provide a little extra cooling and make the glovebox more useful (well for other than reheating my lunch anyway. ;) ). While I was at the dealer I asked if I could borrow their templates and mark my panels in their parking lot. When I explained they offered to contact BRP to try and get them to cover the work (I think some dealers try harder). I told them that was okay not to bother and then they offered to mark the cuts for me and gave me tips for doing the work. It's a motorcycle for gosh sakes they all get warm, heat just happens to be part of the energy output of combustion. Looking at the statistics everyone should be far more concerned about being hit by a distracted driver than having their bike flame out under them.

CJ JAX

jaherbst
06-11-2016, 07:14 PM
I agree they don't. And the only way to personally affect change is don't spend your money with them. The wife likes to drive the spyder more than 2 wheels, if not I would of been gone a while ago. But she really likes it, except the heat issues. So my next step is to do the cat-bypass and wrap the exhaust after I install the vents hopefully this weekend.

If it's the BRP scoops (2013 heat fix ) it will work. If it is wrapping the pipes or cat bypass that you think will help, save your money. I was the test dummy for four of the factory's experimental fixes in that I lived in one of the hottest places in the country. These were only offered to a few volunteers and we had to report our riding and what the temperatures were. Also I had to take the Spyder to get it done in Las Vegas. They would not let any Tucson or Phoenix dealers install?? Hush Hush We also answered a a group of prepared questions each week. None worked including drilling 50 holes under the seat. I had PitBull install the CAT bypass on my own nickel. That did not help either but boy did it sound better. This was the dumbest of all the failed fixes. (50 holes to save your Lover) If you want to spend your money wisely buy the scoops from BRP if they won't pony up.

Jack

jaherbst
06-11-2016, 07:20 PM
The owner made his own side blocking plate to keep the heat off his foot, he never mentioned removing any panels from the bottom to have a place for the air to flow. He had a local muffler shop remove the cat and make up a replacement "y" section of pipe. He cut the wiring harness in places to add lighting and usb charging.

CJ JAX

This alone will be the insurance companies "gateway to heaven". Some do it yourself work and self engineering can come back to haunt you in ways you can't believe.

Jack

M109Dreamer
06-11-2016, 07:35 PM
If it's the BRP scoops (2013 heat fix ) it will work. If it is wrapping the pipes or cat bypass that you think will help, save your money. I was the test dummy for four of the factory's experimental fixes in that I lived in one of the hottest places in the country. These were only offered to a few volunteers and we had to report our riding and what the temperatures were. Also I had to take the Spyder to get it done in Las Vegas. They would not let any Tucson or Phoenix dealers install?? Hush Hush We also answered a a group of prepared questions each week. None worked including drilling 50 holes under the seat. I had PitBull install the CAT bypass on my own nickel. That did not help either but boy did it sound better. This was the dumbest of all the failed fixes. (50 holes to save your Lover) If you want to spend your money wisely buy the scoops from BRP if they won't pony up.

Jack
Yeah we just moved from Gilbert, AZ to TX and the heat riding in AZ sucks in the summer. Had to get up early and get back to jump in the pool there.

WellsboroSpyder
06-12-2016, 07:23 AM
You also did not want the heat fix as I recall and those that have had it are very happy with it.
But I had no choice if I wanted to be protected by any warranty or future issues. That is why we traded it in on our 2015 while ours was the first that our dealer did. And if I were required to put snorkels on this machine it would be gone. We have ridden with the Temps. in the high 90s(I know it's not like AZ)and my wallet and phone go in the glove box. It is never too hot in there for my phone.

PatrickM
06-21-2016, 05:45 AM
I am going to guess here based on the report. He lost his brakes thus I think he got a brake fluid leak for "whatever reason" and since brake fluid is very flammable, when it hit the engine or exhaust, it caught fire.

While this was not a known issue on the 2010 it was on the 2013 because they moved the brake fluid tank and it would melt and leak.

Bob

Our 2013 RT Ltd with 1000 km on it caught fire within moments after we parked from a short ride. Fortunately the rebuild was covered by warranty. The dealer here in the Philippines was NOT informed of the recall.

johnsimion
05-25-2018, 01:27 AM
Don't ask me why, but this same incident was just posted on YouTube on April 5, 2018. I was ready to bring it to the group's attention when I realized this was the same incident. Why is this resurfacing now?

See:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPWM75YWB6Q

This man's story seems questionable. There are several pictures of the Spyder "undamaged," except that it's a photo of an RT at 0:22, an F3 at 1:18, an RT at 1:40 and an F3 at 1:48. So will the real Spyder please stand up?

At 2:00 the fire is burning brightly and at 2:02 suddenly the flames are out and there is nothing but a clean ash pile -- no wreckage. Well, okay, maybe they cut out something or took that picture later, but wait -- there is a photo of the "burned Spyder" at 1:31, but there is a two-stemmed tree in that picture on the right side that is NOT in the picture of the cleaned ash pile at 2:02. Moreover, the degree of destruction from a mere 6 gallons of gas just seems phony to me. The Spyder (if that's what it is) appears to be just total ash, except for some reason something red managed to survive this conflagration just fine. And where is the back wheel? The frame? The engine?

Mad Mac
05-25-2018, 11:02 AM
Problem I see is that it was supposedly a 2010 RT, but the video keeps flashing a newer F3 which leads the public to believe that the Newer Spyder's wil leave you "burning in the ditch". I feel somebody is not happy with their ride and are editing this old video for their own agenda. Macnojoke

LeftCoast
05-25-2018, 11:21 AM
Maybe someone is just a real Spyder hater.

zuni
05-25-2018, 02:30 PM
Problem I see is that it was supposedly a 2010 RT, but the video keeps flashing a newer F3 which leads the public to believe that the Newer Spyder's wil leave you "burning in the ditch". I feel somebody is not happy with their ride and are editing this old video for their own agenda. Macnojoke

Actually the reason for the F3 is that BRP loaned out a few of the F3 models to people to act as ambassadors. They were to attend bikes night and BRP events to help promote the bike and the brand. As the President of the NE Chapter of US Spyder Ryders the F3 was loaned to this guys wife to be an ambassador in the Jacksonville area. She didn't attend any Spyder events or BRP events so they took the bike back. The request to take back the bike was before the fire I do believe but it was a few years ago. That is why you see the F3 in the video. Misleading for sure.

CJ JAX

Mad Mac
05-25-2018, 02:59 PM
Actually the reason for the F3 is that BRP loaned out a few of the F3 models to people to act as ambassadors. They were to attend bikes night and BRP events to help promote the bike and the brand. As the President of the NE Chapter of US Spyder Ryders the F3 was loaned to this guys wife to be an ambassador in the Jacksonville area. She didn't attend any Spyder events or BRP events so they took the bike back. The request to take back the bike was before the fire I do believe but it was a few years ago. That is why you see the F3 in the video. Misleading for sure.

CJ JAX
Figured something was up. Just thought it looked weird to flip-flop between what caught fire and then show a new model. Bad press in my opinion. Mac:doorag:

Caven
05-25-2018, 04:08 PM
The link in the message takes a reader to a JAX4 News website where there's a Can Am response:

"BRP is not aware of the incident in question. The customer should contact his dealer or BRP's customer service department at (888) 272-9222 so that a proper investigation can be conducted. Owners can access recall information on the Can-Am Spyder website, and they can enter their VIN directly to determine if a recall was issued on their vehicle."

However, when I try to locate that VIN lookup the Can Am website, it states: "Your authorized Can-Am Spyder dealer is equipped to verify if there are any outstanding safety bulletins or recall notices applicable to your vehicle using your VIN. There is no charge for this service." (https://can-am.brp.com/spyder/about-us/Frequently-Asked-Questions.html).

Seems like a PR person didn't check the facts .... Caven

Richardv
05-25-2018, 04:52 PM
Wow OK, so when I start look at new Spyders, they start exploding and catching fire. It might be better for BRP if I just stop looking for one.:joke:

When I got Billie, 2008 Premier Edition, the next week the reports of them catch fire was first announced.
.....did Billy caugh fire...?

RinconRyder
05-26-2018, 02:39 PM
BRP has walked back plans to name the "$10,000 Spyder" the "Pinto".