PDA

View Full Version : can a non mechanic like me put a back rest on

Jimmy Neutron
03-13-2009, 09:24 AM
Can I install the brp luggage rack and back rest myself and any hints to help me would be great..

Degaman
03-13-2009, 09:53 AM
The install seems pretty straight forward, but to me it was worth the hour labor charge to have my tech do the grunt work.

Jimmy Neutron
03-13-2009, 10:30 AM
yeah I am long ways from dealer and I keep having my guys do it for me but They hate me for it or so they say...

M2Wild
03-13-2009, 10:36 AM
Its not bad at all. Follow the direction carefully and completely. I prefer to do most of the work myself as I believe if you want the work done right and done right the first time, do it yourself. Money saved and satisfaction is a bonus.

tjfischer
03-13-2009, 10:38 AM
Its not hard to install at all. The most important thing is having the correct tools.

HD2CANAM
03-13-2009, 12:31 PM
I installed one on my Spyder, and if I can do it anyone should be able to do so. It took me a lot longer than someone that knows what they are doing, but I did finish it and it works just fine.

wyliec
03-13-2009, 04:38 PM
Can I install the brp luggage rack and back rest myself and any hints to help me would be great..

Couple of suggestions:

1. Use offset needle nose pliers when installing plastic nut at knob end.

2. Cable routing is behind battery holder/rack, then into the channel frame (center of bike under seat). Don't try to run the cable straight back from where the cable end knob attaches.

3. And, most important- make sure before you install the upper cover (listed as P1) that the screw retainer is in place. There is one screw from the bottom tail cover that attaches there. The retainer was missing on my sport rack. I didn't realize it until I was buttoning the bike back up. I used the retainer from the factory upper tail cover, since the factory tail cover is no longer needed.

4. As a side note, the two screws that hold the sport rack upper and lower cover together use an M6 allen wrench. All the other screws are torx head; just a heads up.

If you have any interest in installing a powerlet outlet that doesn't require drilling into your brand spanking new bike, now would be the time to do it. All you have to do is remove the 'Y' panel; the other panels are already removed. You can use a cable mounted powerlet outlet.

barkingspyder
03-15-2009, 08:44 PM
Couple of suggestions:

1. Use offset needle nose pliers when installing plastic nut at knob end.

2. Cable routing is behind battery holder/rack, then into the channel frame (center of bike under seat). Don't try to run the cable straight back from where the cable end knob attaches.

3. And, most important- make sure before you install the upper cover (listed as P1) that the screw retainer is in place. There is one screw from the bottom tail cover that attaches there. The retainer was missing on my sport rack. I didn't realize it until I was buttoning the bike back up. I used the retainer from the factory upper tail cover, since the factory tail cover is no longer needed.

4. As a side note, the two screws that hold the sport rack upper and lower cover together use an M6 allen wrench. All the other screws are torx head; just a heads up.

If you have any interest in installing a powerlet outlet that doesn't require drilling into your brand spanking new bike, now would be the time to do it. All you have to do is remove the 'Y' panel; the other panels are already removed. You can use a cable mounted powerlet outlet.

Good pointers wyliec.

I did mine yesterday and it is totally doable. Awkward at first for me but after finishing, it makes too much sense. My big mistake was making a very small tear on the very back tip of the seat when removing the rear bolt for the passenger handles. If the tear grows, at least I have many great options to replace.

wyliec
03-15-2009, 08:49 PM
Why did you remove any bolts for the passenger handles?

barkingspyder
03-15-2009, 09:11 PM
Why did you remove any bolts for the passenger handles?

The directions tell you to remove and discard the rear handle assembly bolt. You need to for the extrusion. I'm sure you removed it too.;)

wyliec
03-15-2009, 09:18 PM
The directions tell you to remove and discard the rear handle assembly bolt. You need to for the extrusion. I'm sure you removed it too.;)

You're right.