PDA

View Full Version : Well I took the leap

burg650
03-12-2009, 11:52 PM
Well after over a year of watching all the news and reading all the forums on the Spyder I have taken the leap and ordered a 09 SE5 stock for now. I was very hesitant on this decision after reading some of the problems the SE5 and SM5 have been having and want to believe that BRP will do the right thing and get all these bugs out.

Did not pick a color yet as the dealer told me he has 5 coming in so still time for a color pick as I am not sure what I will do in ways of different look, re-paint the whole bike or just do some custom graphics. I do have a very long list of mods I plan to do in the coming months when I get my Spyder and I get used to how it rides but wanted to ask you all is there anything I should know that you might think I need to know or is VERY IMPORTANT.

Thanks
Roger C

strats
03-13-2009, 02:23 AM
welcome
I have an SE5, and, like many others, have not had a single problem. Unfortunately the forum medium tends to magnify the negative.

Oh, and don't beleive what you hear, Full Moon (Silver) is faster than Red.

:yes::yes::yes:

babyanlee
03-13-2009, 03:13 AM
:congrats: Full Moon is Faster:spyder: :yes::yes::yes:

Saluda
03-13-2009, 04:49 AM
Roger,
Congrats and best of luck. Small learning curve, decide what you want to change and how much you can afford to add on. You'll be happy.

GI Jane
03-13-2009, 05:26 AM
:congrats: Full moon is faster but red is fastest.

effgjamis
03-13-2009, 05:31 AM
:2thumbs::congrats:welcome:yes::yes:

And the Yellow is even FASTER than ALL other colors.:joke:

fastfraser
03-13-2009, 06:53 AM
welcome:congrats::2thumbs::clap:

Has any one seen a Phantom Black.

Roaddog2
03-13-2009, 07:00 AM
:2thumbs::congrats:

M2Wild
03-13-2009, 07:03 AM

It's kinda dark, blackish color right?:joke: Great you took the leap, even better that you landed on a :spyder:.

welcome

pzim
03-13-2009, 07:22 AM
welcome:congrats: Silver, The Only Way To FLY!!!!

Lamonster
03-13-2009, 08:26 AM
:congrats::clap::spyder2:

Trickie Dick
03-13-2009, 08:43 AM
:2thumbs::2thumbs:welcome:congrats: NO matter the color, you will love it.

P.S. The redder the better

tomwom
03-13-2009, 08:49 AM
:spyder2: Nothing beats a flash of Red fire, but the Red Spyder is the quickest. Roadster Red that is.:spyder2: :2thumbs: Have all the Fun today and everyday you can.:agree: :congrats::bowdown::yes:

captainryder
03-13-2009, 08:53 AM
:congrats: Nothing better in the morning than opening the garage and the light from a new day shinning off your Full Moon (silver) Spyder.

Full Moon is the fastest!

gnkc
03-13-2009, 09:04 AM
I just got mine and I might be a little biased towards red. But I bought a demo so I didn't have much choice. Bottom line, I think you'll end up more thrilled with ownership than color once it's parked in your garage. I know I am. Congratulations!

8LEGS
03-13-2009, 10:19 AM
:2thumbs::congrats::clap::clap:

burg650
03-13-2009, 11:01 AM
So it seems that silver is the color of choice here, what about yellow. Ok I am leaning towards the silver as it will be much easier to re-paint if I go that way and right now I might paint it Aqua Blur to match my SSR.

Yes it will look good in my garage next to my other toys, a Suzuki Burgman 650 a Kawasaki 1100STX Jet Ski and my Chevy SSR and all are customize of course. Might et my spyder next week sometime, I know right off the bat handle bars risers and pegs are the first thing next floor boards will be very close behind when they are out.

ataDude
03-13-2009, 11:12 AM
JMHO, but I don't think you can go wrong with any of the three colors. My Spyder started life as silver but I bought a set of yellow plastic panels to paint.

I liked the yellow so much I continue to run it like that without a custom paint job. The original pristine, silver panels remain in a box in my spare "junk" room.

I have a friend with a red one. It also is great looking... I thought I might get to swap a set of red panels for the silver but that didn't work out. :shocked:

So it seems that silver is the color of choice here, what about yellow. Ok I am leaning towards the silver as it will be much easier to re-paint if I go that way and right now I might paint it Aqua Blur to match my SSR.

Yes it will look good in my garage next to my other toys, a Suzuki Burgman 650 a Kawasaki 1100STX Jet Ski and my Chevy SSR and all are customize of course. Might et my spyder next week sometime, I know right off the bat handle bars risers and pegs are the first thing next floor boards will be very close behind when they are out.

pastorchuck
03-13-2009, 02:24 PM
:congrats: You're going to love the ryde!

Jimmy Neutron
03-13-2009, 02:37 PM
I am not sure what color is faster but I think yellow is for the Well i am not sure But thats what color I have so it must stand for something..

bandwagon
03-13-2009, 05:05 PM
I,m in the market for an alarm, I would like to know about the alarm you have. thanks

welcome
I have an SE5, and, like many others, have not had a single problem. Unfortunately the forum medium tends to magnify the negative.

Oh, and don't beleive what you hear, Full Moon (Silver) is faster than Red.

:yes::yes::yes:

Bersquack
03-13-2009, 05:20 PM
:congrats:welcome:2thumbs::yes::yes::yes:

pitmon
03-13-2009, 07:17 PM
welcome Silver was nice.... but now I'm so BLUE!!! Saphire blue is the color for me. :yes:

northramp
03-13-2009, 08:17 PM
:spyder2:welcomewelcomewelcome:yes:

burg650
03-13-2009, 10:07 PM
I have decided on the yellow as I will do some carbon fiber to it. Carbon fiber on yellow look awesome. Later I will get a set of panels and paint it up some other color. My main concern is that I do not get one of the bad SE5 with gear and steering problems, made contact with the tech at the dealer and ask him to check and re check and ride it and maybe change the sensors out before I take it more.

Star Cruiser
03-13-2009, 10:13 PM
Silver FLYS........

If you are thinking of painting anyway...go with Silver, why pay the $300 premium to paint over it. It will still be faster, even if it is a STEALTH SILVER under the custom paint!

bjt
03-14-2009, 07:57 AM
Congrats on your decision, from the proud owner of a yellow Spyder. :thumbup:

burg650
03-14-2009, 07:56 PM
I will be getting mine next week, what should I have the service dept change and or look at before I take it home.

0228lisa
03-14-2009, 08:07 PM

Pick mine up tomorrow. It looks like something Batman would ride when his batmobile is in the shop. It's wicked looking.:2thumbs:

Roaddog2
03-14-2009, 08:14 PM
welcome Silver was nice.... but now I'm so BLUE!!! Saphire blue is the color for me. :yes:If all my rides were not black and silver I would be asking you for the paint codes yours is the best color Ive seen yet :2thumbs:

bone crusher
03-14-2009, 09:59 PM
welcome Silver was nice.... but now I'm so BLUE!!! Saphire blue is the color for me. :yes:

That's a great color...really sweet...I've always been partial to blue...

bone crusher
03-14-2009, 10:00 PM
I have decided on the yellow as I will do some carbon fiber to it. Carbon fiber on yellow look awesome. Later I will get a set of panels and paint it up some other color. My main concern is that I do not get one of the bad SE5 with gear and steering problems, made contact with the tech at the dealer and ask him to check and re check and ride it and maybe change the sensors out before I take it more.

I have millenium yellow and wouldn't go any other way...then again, I like all the colors as they each have a certain, distinct look to them.

Enjoy your ride! :congrats:

Arachnid
03-15-2009, 07:59 PM
Hay,
I went from a Burgman 650 to Can-Am Spyder my self.
You will enjoy it once you get used to it.
Mike

spyderlover2
03-15-2009, 09:07 PM
Hay,
Mike

hey Mike (arachnid) i am considering buying a spyder but was torn between a burgman 650 and the spyder. since you have been on both, i would appreciate your experience and any insites you may have. do you prefer one over the other....and why? thanks for your help. hayden:2thumbs:

burg650
03-15-2009, 11:04 PM
Hay,
Mike

I love my Burgman 650 and I am not getting rid of it not just yet anyway but it's also time for something new and the Spyder it is for now.

spyderlover2 it will be hard to compare the Burgman 650 to a spyder. I have not had the chance to ride a spyder yet but the fact that the spyder has two wheels up front sure will made the ride very different, I believe riding the spyder is like riding a jet ski.

spyderlover2
03-16-2009, 01:07 AM
I love my Burgman 650 and I am not getting rid of it not just yet anyway but it's also time for something new and the Spyder it is for now.

spyderlover2 it will be hard to compare the Burgman 650 to a spyder. I have not had the chance to ride a spyder yet but the fact that the spyder has two wheels up front sure will made the ride very different, I believe riding the spyder is like riding a jet ski.

thanks Burg650! have a great time on your new spyder!:congrats::2thumbs: i hope to be doing the same sometime soon:pray:...it looks like a great ride! i would also like to get the burgman 650 too just to have a 2 wheeler also, i guess for the "lean" factor instead of the "Y" factor sometimes. plus i hear a lot of great things about the B650 too. having both would be the best of both worlds! :thumbup:

Don in E Texas
03-16-2009, 08:54 AM
I had a Honda 600 scooter -- even had trike wheels on the back. I think it had 300 miles on it when I sold it. Reason? A ride of 20 miles was an all-day ride!! Now I have a Red (Red Rocks!!) Spyder -- 20 miles is just a warm up for a nice ride. No more scooters for me. :cus:.. but this is off topic..

Enjoy your new ride... I know that I'm enjoying mine...welcome

don

burg650
03-16-2009, 02:40 PM
Spyderlover2 the burgman 650 is a great bike it almost rides like a motorcycle, in fact NJ DMV calls it a motorcycle not a scooter because of the 650CC. I have had more fun on my burgman that all the other bikes I have owned the comfort is wonderful especially with the mods I have done ( see photos here http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/My-Custom-Burg-650 (http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/My-Custom-Burg-650) ) for now I am keeping my burgman as it will be a different ride than the spyder. Spyderlover2 go for it get it, there is a big difference in price between the two like almost $10,000

Roger
03-16-2009, 02:54 PM
Hi Burg650 where are you purchasing your spyder from? you will have to take it out on to rte 3 or the turnpike to open that puppy up. :yes::yes::yes:

spyderlover2
03-16-2009, 03:06 PM
Spyderlover2 the burgman 650 is a great bike it almost rides like a motorcycle, in fact NJ DMV calls it a motorcycle not a scooter because of the 650CC. I have had more fun on my burgman that all the other bikes I have owned the comfort is wonderful especially with the mods I have done ( see photos here http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/My-Custom-Burg-650 (http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/My-Custom-Burg-650) ) for now I am keeping my burgman as it will be a different ride than the spyder. Spyderlover2 go for it get it, there is a big difference in price between the two like almost $10,000

hey burg650, nice burgie, and i see you made the front cover of the mag! cool! i also check out burgmanusa.com forums! i drive nights and get tired, and i love the spyder because i can relax on it, but i also love the burgies because of the 20+ mpg's i can get over what the spyder gets. plus, if i start to rubberneck coming home from work, the spyder would be the best ride! but i hear ya on the price dif! huge!! these are the reasons i am torn between the 2! GRRRRRRRRRR! if i could find a spyder for less than ten g's then i would pounce, but they arent that old yet and they tend to retain their value...shoot, i like that but not when i am buying...LOL! maybe i will just have to get a parttime job to get them both...LOL, not! it will all work out! whatever happens, i will still be a spyderlover-2! as well as a burgie lover! these are 2 awesome rides! i hope you realize how fortunate you are to have both! you are living my dream....live it well! hayden

burg650
03-16-2009, 06:38 PM
Hi Burg650 where are you purchasing your spyder from? you will have to take it out on to rte 3 or the turnpike to open that puppy up. :yes::yes::yes:

I am getting it from Motorcycle Mall in Belleville off 21 and yes I will have to hit both 21 and rt 3 to get home and right now it looks like I will be riding it home. A few weeks ago I discovered someone a few block from me had a silver SM5 and of course we became friends, his is at motorcycle mall now getting the gear position sensor changed and he will ride with me on Friday.

bjt
03-16-2009, 08:20 PM
if i could find a spyder for less than ten g's then i would pounce, but they arent that old yet and they tend to retain their value...shoot, i like that but not when i am buying...LOL!

You need to be a persistant shopper and wheeler dealer if your going to find one for $10,000. I have seen ONE used Spyder that sold for around $10,000. Most sell at $13,500 and up.

Roger
03-18-2009, 03:14 PM
Yes i know exactly where that place is that is where i first saw the spyder. if you are going on 21 you should stop by rutts hut pretty good dogs their. i was going to send a private message but you have it off but thats ok. oh fyi rutts is in cliffton off of rte 21. :popcorn::cheers:

burg650
03-19-2009, 08:04 PM
Yes i know exactly where that place is that is where i first saw the spyder. if you are going on 21 you should stop by rutts hut pretty good dogs their. i was going to send a private message but you have it off but thats ok. oh fyi rutts is in cliffton off of rte 21. :popcorn::cheers:

Did not know private message was off, no wonder I did not get any replies to the over 10 pm I have sent. I will try to change this but not sure where to do it.

bjt
03-19-2009, 08:27 PM
Did not know private message was off, no wonder I did not get any replies to the over 10 pm I have sent. I will try to change this but not sure where to do it.

Go to your UserCP and select Options. In there you can enable Private Messaging.

burg650
03-20-2009, 10:42 PM
Well picked up my new SE5 today. After riding around and putting little over 100 miles I am finally home and I have to say it was a BLAST to ride but also I am in a lot of PAIN. The position I sit, knees bent handle bar so low and position of neck and shoulders left me in lots of pain it's been over 25 years that I had to ride in this kind of a sitting position. Will definitely have to get handle bar riser foot pegs and a must a new taller windscreen as I am not used to the wind trying to break my neck and hope some floor board and brake pedal extension comes out as well. Not sure how to describe the ride as I did not ride one before getting mine and can't compare to anything, I am not sure if the SE5 is shifting right as everywhere I read about it says it is very smooth and I find it shifts just like any manual bike with same sound and feel, but so far my 09 SE5 seem to be just OK brakes seen fine did get on it a few time and shifter seems to work ok steering also seem ok except at a stand still if I try to turn it feel a bit jerky but that must be the power system kicking in. All in all I am happy with my new spyder but will enjoy in more as soon as I get these mods that will make it more comfortable foe me to sit, could not go on a long ride say 200 miles or more with how it is set up right now and I thing I will give it a rest for a few days or give my body a rest for a few day so my muscles heal.

bjt
03-21-2009, 07:47 AM
Congrats Burg650. All those mods you've mentioned are available right now at one place or another. If you searched the SpyderLovers forum for "floorboards" or "brake extension" or other terms like that, you could find what others have bought or made to accommodate themselves. I would search for some of those things for you but I am semi-busy right now. Maybe lamonster should change my name tag to Semi-Helpful Member. :D

:congrats:

LDFIREWORKS
03-21-2009, 08:22 AM
:clap::2thumbs:welcome

bjt
03-21-2009, 09:08 AM
Congrats Burg650. All those mods you've mentioned are available right now at one place or another. If you searched the SpyderLovers forum for "floorboards" or "brake extension" or other terms like that, you could find what others have bought or made to accommodate themselves. I would search for some of those things for you but I am semi-busy right now. Maybe lamonster should change my name tag to Semi-Helpful Member. :D

:congrats:

Feeling guilty for not doing just a bit extra (and not wanting lamonster to demote me) I did just a basic search on floorboards. Here is one of the many helpful threads from that search. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9296&highlight=floorboards