PDA

View Full Version : factory tire tread depth.

Fatcycledaddy
06-08-2016, 01:03 PM
I didn't want to start another discussion on tires and :bdh::bdh::bdh::bdh:But I have looked through post until my eyes are crossed and I can't find anything that tells me what the starting tread depth is on the factory tire.

I have 10,500 miles on the tire now, I see the triangle for the wear bars, but I have no idea of what percentage of tread is left because of not knowing the amount it started with. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=131687&stc=1

I am getting ready for the trip to Utah, I have a new tire but am hard pressed for time to get it changed before we go. I think i can easily get another 5 or 6 thousand out of it but am second guessing myself.

Snowbelt Spyder
06-08-2016, 01:23 PM
Yes, I just happened to measure a new one a couple years ago and it was 10/32". That's total depth. Subtract 2/32" for the height of the wear bars, which leaves you with a total useable depth of 8/32" down to the top if the bars when new.

PaladinLV
06-08-2016, 01:27 PM
Use a penny. If the lowest part of Abe's hair is not showing, time for a new tire.

AJ

I didn't want to start another discussion on tires and :bdh::bdh::bdh::bdh:But I have looked through post until my eyes are crossed and I can't find anything that tells me what the starting tread depth is on the factory tire.

I have 10,500 miles on the tire now, I see the triangle for the wear bars, but I have no idea of what percentage of tread is left because of not knowing the amount it started with. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=131687&stc=1

I am getting ready for the trip to Utah, I have a new tire but am hard pressed for time to get it changed before we go. I think i can easily get another 5 or 6 thousand out of it but am second guessing myself.

Fatcycledaddy
06-08-2016, 01:48 PM
Yes, I just happened to measure a new one a couple years ago and it was 10/32". That's total depth. Subtract 2/32" for the height of the wear bars, which leaves you with a total useable depth of 8/32" down to the top if the bars when new.

Thanks very much, as usual a member here had the answer!!!