PDA

View Full Version : GPS Question

pegasus1300
06-07-2016, 10:43 PM
For those of you who bought and/or use the $135 GPS that was advertised here several weeks ago. Have you created any routes and downloaded them to this GPS. What did you use?

Wiredux
06-08-2016, 11:48 AM
I do all of my routes with Garmin Basecamp. It is free from Garmin and works great.

pegasus1300
06-08-2016, 01:46 PM
I don't think that is compatible with this GPS,but thanks.

ThreeWheels
06-08-2016, 02:20 PM
I do all of my routes with Garmin Basecamp. It is free from Garmin and works great.

There were rumors that there was one person who liked Basecamp. I see that you are that legendary and storied person.

jcthorne
06-08-2016, 03:47 PM
I tried it and gave up too.

Now I use google to plan the route and then enter endpoints and way points at major intersections on the route into my garmin using the trip planner function. Really does not take that long to get my route to go where I planned it.

Really wish there was a way to export a google map file or planned route directly though.

pegasus1300
06-09-2016, 12:17 AM
murphybrown are you using your GPS? What are you using to design routes?
Dennis in Lodi are you still around? What do you use?

Wiredux
06-09-2016, 06:44 AM
There were rumors that there was one person who liked Basecamp. I see that you are that legendary and storied person.

I do all of my routes with Basecamp. The key is to have updated maps on both the computer you are working on as well as the GPS.

Gray Ghost
06-09-2016, 08:58 AM

The count must be off then. I use Basecamp quite a bit in planning out trips and have no difficulties with it. Currently planning for a ride that will take US 50 over to the east coast, then Lincoln Highway to the west coast and finish up the rest of US 50 heading home.

It is easy to lay out the base route, then go back in and add stops for things we have decided are "must-see". I am also plotting out the coordinates of National parks for the possibility of doing the Iron Butt Association parks ride (http://www.ironbutt.com/ridecerts/getdocument.cfm?DocID=11).

pegasus1300
06-12-2016, 11:29 PM
I do all of my routes with Basecamp. The key is to have updated maps on both the computer you are working on as well as the GPS.
As I stated before this is not a Garmin GPS and I don't think Basecamp works with this unit. I know others besides me bought this GPS and I am looking for help from these people or from others who have successfully used this GPS,not a Garmin or Garmin based programs.

If you know that this GPS works on Basecamp and cn tell me that I will go try it. Thanks for your help.

Msmoto
08-26-2016, 02:05 PM
Having had several Garmin units starting with my old Zumo for motorcycles about 10 years ago, I have been through almost every frustration basecamp has to offer. SO, I use Google maps, evaluate various routes, then enter start and finish into my Garmin GPS head unit, add waypoints as needed to get the route I want.

This method seems to be the one which does not require me to commit murder or any other capital crime when dealing with the frustration of Garmin. For years, none of the Garmin stuff would work with an Apple OS and I had no PC. Still have my old Zumo which has no base maps in ti, but need to go with a PC to get the download to reinstall.....

Oh well.... maps are always good.

Spyder_Cowgirl
08-26-2016, 02:36 PM
There is a online app called FURKOT (you have to sign up, but it is free) -- husband found it when trying to share trips. Operates sort of like google maps (maybe not quite as friendly); but has the ability to export a GPS file (gpx, I think is the extension). So, I plan a trip, export to my PC ... plug the Garmin in, copy the exported file to the microSD card, then on power up the Garmin sees the new file and asks if I want to import new routes.

Link: https://trips.furkot.com/

Works like a champ ... I have also used BaseCamp; but mainly for backup of data from an old GPS unit (traded in with my 2012 RT) and then restored to the new unit that came with my 2016 RT.

Worth a look, since your GPS is not a Garmin (likely that BaseCamp won't work). All the best .... Ann

IdahoMtnSpyder
08-26-2016, 08:35 PM
ITN Converter will take a Google Maps route URL and convert it for most all GPS units.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk