PDA

View Full Version : Curious fault

mrb
03-12-2009, 05:08 PM
Hi All

A new owner in Oz just sent me an email as below. I don't think he has posted this here but does anyone have a clue? This is an SM not an SE

I was coming back home at night on a local road in a 50km limit. The engine started missing on one cylinder, and not running at all on the other cylinder.
The “E” message was displayed on the gauge cluster. The engine then cut completely and the bike came to a stop. The bike did not free wheel, even with the clutch pulled in.

I fiddled with the gear lever looking for neutral as I couldn’t move the bike. I located neutral and pushed the bike to the side of the road.. I can’t remember exactly what I did next but somehow the cluster reset to normal. I was able to start the bike up again and everything appeared normal, with no error messages. I got home ok with no further problems. I checked the operators guide book & noted the line about going to the dealer if the problem persisted.

On starting up for my next ride (last Sunday) no problems/fault messages were noted. I travelled about 400 meters from home with a pillion passenger this time, when the engine again cut out on one cylinder and started firing intermittently on the other. There is no gauge cluster message noted this time, just no power and no free wheeling, (as if the brakes are locked on) and a bad vibration. On re checking no “E” is displayed this time. I can’t coast to the side of the road to get out of the way of other traffic.

After switching everything off, and replacing the ignition key, the exclamation symbol is shown in a red/flashing mode. Checking the operator guide this is indicating an EBD/Brake failure fault. I checked with the dealer to day for progress on the repair and they advised me that at present no fault is located

NancysToy
03-12-2009, 07:35 PM
First thing I would check is the battery charge, battery terminals for looseness or corrosion, and do a battery load test. Also check generator output. Low voltage will make these things go nuts!
-Scotty

AMTJIM
03-12-2009, 10:49 PM
According to the service manual...you have a problem related to the GBPS. Gear Box Position Sensor. Since it is intermittent, it may be a loose connector. The sensor is on the left side of the engine just aft of the oil filter cap. It looks black, a circular object with a square shaped lower part. It sits behind the reverse actuation cable. There is a testing procedure, reset is done in the EFI portion of the ECM manual(by dealer with BUDS). Can't tell if you will get a DPS fault or not, but you may experience DPS loss.

ataDude
03-13-2009, 10:40 AM
According to the service manual...you have a problem related to the GBPS. Gear Box Position Sensor. Since it is intermittent, it may be a loose connector. The sensor is on the left side of the engine just aft of the oil filter cap. It looks black, a circular object with a square shaped lower part. It sits behind the reverse actuation cable. There is a testing procedure, reset is done in the EFI portion of the ECM manual(by dealer with BUDS). Can't tell if you will get a DPS fault or not, but you may experience DPS loss.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=19&pictureid=423