PDA

View Full Version : Rough ride on the back of RT

rworell
06-07-2016, 04:44 AM
So unfortunately we live in an area where the roads could be better "lol". But while my wife and I are out, occasionally we hit some rough patches of road and my wife says its not to pleasant on the back of my 2011 RT. I've adjusted the shocks both to (Hard & Soft). Not much difference and so I was the passenger last night. Holy cow. I have to agree its a rough ride on the back. Any suggestions from my Spyder guru's?

Thanks for your opinions all... Your Rock:bowdown:

Rich

WARWAGON
06-07-2016, 05:21 AM
So unfortunately we live in an area where the roads could be better "lol". But while my wife and I are out, occasionally we hit some rough patches of road and my wife says its not to pleasant on the back of my 2011 RT. I've adjusted the shocks both to (Hard & Soft). Not much difference and so I was the passenger last night. Holy cow. I have to agree its a rough ride on the back. Any suggestions from my Spyder guru's?

Thanks for your opinions all... Your Rock:bowdown:

Rich

Make sure you do have air in ACS. My 12 had a leak that on board compressor could not keep up with. Manual check under seat of o see if it's holding air.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dan McNally
06-07-2016, 06:08 AM
You could do what many in Maryland Spyder Web have done - get another Spyder for your wife! It will dramatically improve her ryde!:ohyea:

Bob Denman
06-07-2016, 06:43 AM
Rich,
Exactly which model of RT are you riding?
(There's nothing in your profile or signature about it...)
If you have a Base model: put some air in the rear shock.
If you've got an RT-S or Limited: have your dealer check the ACS for proper operation.
Beyond this: it'd be time for a rear Elka!
Good Luck! :thumbup:

irvin48
06-07-2016, 06:52 AM
kinda on the subject. my rts has what looks like a shrader valve under the seat.
is it just for looks or to pump up beach balls and air mattresses?--irv

Bob Denman
06-07-2016, 06:55 AM
Sine you've got an RT-S (With the automatic ride height control); that valve is a little bit "extraneous"... You shouldn't ever have to touch it.
Unless your sense of curiosity overpowers you, and forces you to put a pressure gauge on it... :shocked:

rworell
06-07-2016, 07:41 AM
Its a 2011 RT Limited....

Rich,
Exactly which model of RT are you riding?
(There's nothing in your profile or signature about it...)
If you have a Base model: put some air in the rear shock.
If you've got an RT-S or Limited: have your dealer check the ACS for proper operation.
Beyond this: it'd be time for a rear Elka!

Bob Denman
06-07-2016, 07:43 AM
Since it's a Limited; you might be having trouble with the ACS...
It's probably time to let the dealer take a look at it. :banghead:

cptjam
06-07-2016, 11:37 AM
kinda on the subject. my rts has what looks like a shrader valve under the seat.
is it just for looks or to pump up beach balls and air mattresses?--irv
use it to put air in the rear shock.

Bob Denman
06-07-2016, 11:44 AM
Irv is on an RT-S. He can add air via the ACS. :thumbup:

ARtraveler
06-07-2016, 01:03 PM
If it turns out to not be the air in the shock, try a sheepskin/gel pad or an Air Hawk cushion. Both will give some relief to the bottom.

captgeorge
06-07-2016, 02:02 PM
I had that problem on my 2012rts.it was a bad shock. No rebound. Air system was ok

Bob Denman
06-07-2016, 02:12 PM
There have been more than a couple of reports of shocks from that era RT; failing... :yikes:

rworell
06-07-2016, 02:30 PM
Wondering if a recall notice would be out on possible bad rear shocks? and if so would BRP cover it?

There have been more than a couple of reports of shocks from that era RT; failing... :yikes:

Netminder
06-07-2016, 02:36 PM
Mine was a bad shock. Dealer replaced under warranty about 2 years ago.

Bob Denman
06-07-2016, 02:43 PM
Wondering if a recall notice would be out on possible bad rear shocks? and if so would BRP cover it?
There was never any TSB, OR recall issued, for this area of concern... :banghead:

Bob Denman
06-07-2016, 04:56 PM
.Be ....EXTREMELY ...careful about putting air in the rear air bag......it's very small and will rupture easily if overfilled......BRP says only fill it with a HAND PUMP ......IMHO if you have a 12volt compact type compressor that will work........Mike :thumbup:

:agree: Small steps... :thumbup:

safecracker
06-07-2016, 07:39 PM
I use a compressor, but I set the outgoing to only 50lbs. Be warned that checking at the Shrader valve more than a few times will cause your pressure to drop quickly. If riding double you should have at least 50 to 60lbs.

SteveLaoyster
06-07-2016, 07:51 PM
If it turns out to not be the air in the shock, try a sheepskin/gel pad or an Air Hawk cushion. Both will give some relief to the bottom.

:agree: I was thinking along the line of a air donut. The kind you use when you've got a sore bottom & don't want it to get any worse.:yikes::yikes:

rworell
06-07-2016, 09:18 PM
Can I add air if mine has the front toggle switch to go from high to low? I Just want to be clear on that before I check air pressure and possibly if needed, add air with my hand held air pump.
Rich
2011 Black Magic RT Limited

safecracker
06-08-2016, 06:46 AM
Yes you can add air manually. Bruce