PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from the fridge

Wally
03-12-2009, 10:37 AM
Hello everyone;

I am new to spyder lovers and have been prowling around the site for a while now. I live in fridgid Saskatchewan,Canada where the temperature today once again is - 37. Can't wait for spring. I have been reading the posts and find them very interesting. I can't wait to go to my dealer and order one. I just have one question. How hard is the spyder to steer. The reason i ask is that i have had one shoulder replacement and due for the other also. I have limited strength in my arms now. Just wondering how much strain on shoulders on an extended trip.

jnt
03-12-2009, 10:41 AM
welcome:congrats::yes: and :bowdown: for braving the cold!

My grandmother's sister moved to Swift Current in the 1920s and was their for the rest of her life. Kids all moved to BC. Was out to visit when I was too little to remember. Next time to Rockies we should come thru instead of around. Happy ryding!!

Greg H.
03-12-2009, 10:45 AM
welcome:congrats: :thumbup:

babyanlee
03-12-2009, 11:10 AM
I think shoulder strain would depend on how you set your :f_spider: up. Remember steering is power assisted, not power steering - but I would think you would be okay - go to dealer take ride or just sit on it and see if you like it. welcome

FANG
03-12-2009, 11:20 AM
welcome Glad you have revealed yourself and are no longer a prowler. LOL

crazycanuck
03-12-2009, 11:20 AM
My apologies for living in Saskatchewan:sour:

But welcome

NancysToy
03-12-2009, 11:44 AM
You are probably going to have to try a Spyder out a time or two, on long demo rides, or just sitting in the dealership, to be certain. As was said, the steering is power assisted, but it is not power steering. Riding a Spyder is far more active than a motorcycle, much more like an ATV. You have to physically turn the handlebars, sometimes quite a way. Shifting your weight into the turn makes the outboard side even more of a stretch. The Spyder handlebars are wider than average, too, so that could affect you. So could the handlebar position which requires a bit of a reach, but some of that can be corrected by risers or a handlebar replacement. In the end, it is all about your individual anatomy, your physical limitations, and how they fit the Spyder. You only know if you try. I wish you a positive outcome. Shoulder problems are a curse!
-Scotty

leffe
03-12-2009, 12:57 PM
i have surgery both shoulders ,last one a month ago and have no problems with spyder,but driving a car is more painfull,different moves.

Roaddog2
03-12-2009, 04:21 PM
welcome:thumbup:

Greg H.
03-12-2009, 04:29 PM
Greetings from the fridge...........

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b6ce23b3127ccecf11e8219d9700000010O38AZtmbZq0aMw e3nw0/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D3/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b6ce35b3127ccecf0932fa47bc00000010O38AZtmbZq0aMw e3nw0/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D3/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

retread
03-12-2009, 04:57 PM
:clap:welcome:clap:

john

sabunim5
03-12-2009, 05:22 PM
I would echo Scotty's comments about trying one out for yourself. Those that have the risers say that it gives you more leverage and makes steering easier. Perhaps someone near you would let you give theirs a try?

Star Cruiser
03-12-2009, 08:29 PM
welcome:congrats::yes: and :bowdown: for braving the cold!

My grandmother's sister moved to Swift Current in the 1920s and was their for the rest of her life. Kids all moved to BC. Was out to visit when I was too little to remember. Next time to Rockies we should come thru instead of around. Happy ryding!!

LOL - My sister still lives in Melfort, SK. I think the reason your grandmother's sister lived there for "the rest of her life" was because she was frozen to the ground!
welcome

Star Cruiser
03-12-2009, 08:32 PM
Hello everyone;

I am new to spyder lovers and have been prowling around the site for a while now. I live in fridgid Saskatchewan,Canada where the temperature today once again is - 37. Can't wait for spring. I have been reading the posts and find them very interesting. I can't wait to go to my dealer and order one. I just have one question. How hard is the spyder to steer. The reason i ask is that i have had one shoulder replacement and due for the other also. I have limited strength in my arms now. Just wondering how much strain on shoulders on an extended trip.

I found after about a week I stopped riding it like a two Wheeled Motorcycle. Without "push steering", which doesn't work with the Spyder anyway, my shoulders and arms were much more relaxed and I could ride for hours without stopping. Before that I was fighting the resistance because I couldn't "lean".

Trickie Dick
03-12-2009, 09:36 PM
How long is your riding season, about 15 minutes?:joke: Like others have suggested, a couple of extended demo rides will give you and idea.
welcome