PDA

View Full Version : What tools to travel with

View from behind
06-05-2016, 03:22 PM
We are planning our annual two week vacation which will be our first on the Spyder. The tool kit under the seat looks pretty minimal and with our Freedom trailer we have a little extra room for tools. Not looking to do any major repairs but having a couple of common socket sizes and other tools for minor repairs. Any suggestion from those of you that have added to the tool kit?

kngfsh27
06-05-2016, 03:38 PM
I carry the torx wrenches needed to take the tupperware off along with a multi-screwdriver. I also carry an air compressor and tire repair kit. I just purchased a small charger which I will take on my next trip. Funny thing about carrying tools is I made up a kit when I had my Harley. In ten years, the only times I used it was at home and one time helping a fellow rider rewire his bike on the road..

Grandpot
06-05-2016, 03:47 PM
I never take complete tool kits that have tools I will not need on my bikes. Go around your Spyder and find all the nuts and bolts you can. Match up Allen wrenches, Torx wrenches, sockets, and screw drivers to all of them and put them in "your kit." You will be surprised how few you will need. Take along a little Duct tape (not a whole roll), wire ties, and connectors. Don't worry about large stuff, like the axle nut; for that you need a credit card and cell phone. A tire plug kit and air compressor are good to have also.

Motorcycledave
06-05-2016, 04:59 PM
Tools are like your American Express card
DON'T leave home without them I carry a small
tool bag fits in front trunk fine and it has metric &
american sockets 3/8 drive, torx set , alans, plyers
dikes, needle nose, Open/box wrenches
8 to 17 American 7/16 to 7/8, a magnet pick up tool, flashlight,
screw drivers standard & phillips, AND VTVM
Volt / Amp meter, 12 volt test light, elect. tape, zip ties
that is enought to work on most things.
I personally would not go around the block without the tool bag
Ride Safe
Dave

We are planning our annual two week vacation which will be our first on the Spyder. The tool kit under the seat looks pretty minimal and with our Freedom trailer we have a little extra room for tools. Not looking to do any major repairs but having a couple of common socket sizes and other tools for minor repairs. Any suggestion from those of you that have added to the tool kit?

Bob Denman
06-05-2016, 05:29 PM
Duct Tape
WD-40
and a Platinum MasterCard... :thumbup:

(Oh! And some 10, 12, 13,15 mm sockets, large and small Vise-Grips, and a couple of the proper-sized Torx sockets too!)

clinard
06-06-2016, 09:38 PM
Where are the Southern folks....Some mechanics wire. Real baling wire is getting hard to find.

View from behind
06-07-2016, 04:49 PM
Thanks to all who took the time to respond.

Motorcycledave
06-07-2016, 08:02 PM
The card WD 40 and Duct tape and a hammer.............

Duct Tape
WD-40
and a Platinum MasterCard... :thumbup:

(Oh! And some 10, 12, 13,15 mm sockets, large and small Vise-Grips, and a couple of the proper-sized Torx sockets too!)

SteveLaoyster
06-07-2016, 08:20 PM
Small spray bottle of windex or any window cleaner works great for finding slow leaks in tires. Just spray it on and look for the bubbles. I use it because it doesn't leave a mess.:yes::yes::yes:

SPYDERGUY1
06-08-2016, 08:51 PM
As mentioned previously. CREDIT CARD AND MOBILE PHONE. :yes: