PDA

View Full Version : 1st 600 Mile Service

jenrldcm
03-11-2009, 06:16 PM
While the Spyder is in the shop having the rest of the long awaited accessories installed, I asked about the 1st service. Only have about 450 or so miles on it but didn't want to go thru finding a ride to and from again.
$312.74!!!!!!! I had to ask exactly for what.
My reply follows each thing they said they wanted to do.
Oil change and oil filter - I agree on this since there is a break in period here.
Check oil tank strainer - Not sure exactly what but sounds like it needs wiped off?
Change engine coolant- Water & antifreeze do not break down in any vehicle at 600 miles.
Check fault codes- None are displayed and if I am having faults at 600 miles, then we have a more serious problem here that should be addressed under warrenty work if there are problems that soon.
Sparkplugs - Not sure if they wanted to change or check them but plugs don't breakdown at 600 miles and are rated for a few more miles than 600.
Inspect and adjust drive belt- This is a visual inspection on a reinforced belt.
Lubricate suspension- Spay the obvious moving parts there with a white litholeum grease.

I have printed off the step by step instructions for the oil change posted by Lamonster. Doesn't look terribly hard as I do my own oil changes on my 2-wheel bike.

Am I just out of line here or is there something special I am missing?

northramp
03-11-2009, 06:19 PM
Think of it as future deposit insurance on a future warranty claim.:pray:

zzneonzz
03-11-2009, 06:25 PM
I can't see why they would change engine coolant at 600 miles. Checking it and the other things listed seems normal to me as well as the oil change. I believe the cost of just oil/filter from my dealer is around 70$

My first service i believe was around 230$ but can't remember exactly if i can find the post were i said it ill give you the exact amount.

zzneonzz
03-11-2009, 06:33 PM
First service was $208 http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6342&highlight=mile+service

kalavera
03-11-2009, 06:45 PM
on our spyders, our first service was around $160 to $180

NancysToy
03-11-2009, 06:47 PM
While the Spyder is in the shop having the rest of the long awaited accessories installed, I asked about the 1st service. Only have about 450 or so miles on it but didn't want to go thru finding a ride to and from again.
$312.74!!!!!!! I had to ask exactly for what.
My reply follows each thing they said they wanted to do.
Oil change and oil filter - I agree on this since there is a break in period here.
Check oil tank strainer - Not sure exactly what but sounds like it needs wiped off?
Change engine coolant- Water & antifreeze do not break down in any vehicle at 600 miles.
Check fault codes- None are displayed and if I am having faults at 600 miles, then we have a more serious problem here that should be addressed under warrenty work if there are problems that soon.
Sparkplugs - Not sure if they wanted to change or check them but plugs don't breakdown at 600 miles and are rated for a few more miles than 600.
Inspect and adjust drive belt- This is a visual inspection on a reinforced belt.
Lubricate suspension- Spay the obvious moving parts there with a white litholeum grease.

I have printed off the step by step instructions for the oil change posted by Lamonster. Doesn't look terribly hard as I do my own oil changes on my 2-wheel bike.

Am I just out of line here or is there something special I am missing?
The coolant and the sparkplugs merely inspected as part of the 600 mile check. You will find a maintenance schedule in your operator's manual. If either was changed, your dealer should be asked why they are not requesting reimbursement from BRP as a warranty repair. It should not be your responsibility. If they were merely inspected, you are toward the high end of typical charges, but not at the extremes. Depends a lot on their hourly rate.

The oil change is easy. Just be sure to secure all the proper parts and the specified oil well ahead of time. Some dealers do not stock the O-ring and crush washers...or even the filters. Procedure for oil change is in the manual, too. I didn't even jack the Spyder up.
-Scotty

sleepman
03-11-2009, 07:08 PM
Well the dealer should be following the BRP recommended service which is outlined in your owners manual.

Most people are going to pay different prices for these services because individual dealerships all have different labor charges.

SpyderRider2492
03-11-2009, 07:43 PM
If you think this was expensive, just wait till you see how much they will charge for the 6000 mile service as there is a lot more involved with this one..................:yikes:

bone crusher
03-11-2009, 07:50 PM
My first service was 296.00...no problems paying...amortize it over the life of your bike and your services won't add up to be much at all.

I got the BEST warranty as well...not going to take a chance on all this technology NOT having a BRP warranty 3 or 4 years down the road.

Some say extended warranties are not worth it...that might be the case with some items....however, for a bike with this many electronic gizmos, I'm not taking the chance...one serious problem will cost more than the one time extended warranty fee....

Star Cruiser
03-11-2009, 08:06 PM
First service was $208 http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6342&highlight=mile+service

My First Service was $249.17 (Cdn of Course). If it stays around there most of the time, I'll be OK. Some posts have me a little bit scared that the 5000km will be more expensive.
Regarding the extended warranty - with all the computer modules, I won't take a chance. BEST is best for me!

LDFIREWORKS
03-11-2009, 08:23 PM
my 1st was $225.00 and they did everything you said on yours.......:spyder: