PDA

View Full Version : so what do you think

cuznjohn
05-30-2016, 11:55 AM
by now i am sure you have seen the story of the lil boy who fell into the gorilla pen, and they shot the gorilla. do you think it is the parents fault, or should the zoo be blamed for having a area for someone to be able to pass through. personally i think it should be the parents responsibility to keep a eye on their children, and also the zoo should carry some of the blame for having some kind of opening for someone to pass through.

Bob Denman
05-30-2016, 12:02 PM
It was the parents' fault, for not watching their kid! :gaah:
And it's a shame that the gorilla was put down... :shocked:
I saw reports that it was trying to protect the child; we can't tell what was really going on inside it's mind...
But they couldn't take any chances... :banghead:

Chupaca
05-30-2016, 12:02 PM
:agree: tough call, sad situation but this society has gotten to the point that absolutely nothing is your fault. They need to own up to their responsibility and take care of their children better than their material possesions...Sorry , just burns me up when people expect everyone else to do their job...:banghead::banghead:

Bob Denman
05-30-2016, 12:23 PM
Watch the video, that's embedded in the story... :shocked:

http://www.people.com/article/cincinnati-zoo-defends-itself-after-killing-gorilla

Copperman
05-30-2016, 12:31 PM
Of course it's the parents fault! End of story.

The zoo should also go after the parents for the cost of replacing the gorilla.

Bob Denman
05-30-2016, 12:36 PM
:sour: I was hoping that someone would mention this: Thanks! :2thumbs:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=131149&stc=1

wyliec
05-30-2016, 01:06 PM
personally i think it should be the parents responsibility to keep a eye on their children, and also the zoo should carry some of the blame for having some kind of opening for someone to pass through.

I agree with you. I was trying to see how the kid may it in, but saw nothing.

It was a sad ending, but the correct choice was made. Is this where I say- end of story?

ARtraveler
05-30-2016, 01:35 PM
A hard decision indeed. Killing the gorilla erred on the side of saving a human life.

The situation should never have occurred. Poor design of the enclosure, poor parental control?--take your pick. :dontknow:

vampyregirl
05-30-2016, 01:42 PM
I blame the parents. The kid was 4 years old. They were in a public place. How, in this day and age, do you not watch your kid every second??

Jack Hanna made a statement regarding the killing of the gorilla. He said the zoo did the right thing. Erred on the side of caution. If they had just tranquilized him, how would he have reacted? They are animals and will react as animals.

Still very sad......

cuznjohn
05-30-2016, 01:48 PM
it is a shame that they don't have a fast acting tranquiler that would of knocked him out right away

ARtraveler
05-30-2016, 02:02 PM
it is a shame that they don't have a fast acting tranquiler that would of knocked him out right away

Good idea. They do for humans. Propofol--if you see it coming, you got about 5 seconds. :roflblack::roflblack:

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
05-30-2016, 02:05 PM
i blame the parents & hope the zoo can sue them as they will try to do to the zoo

mowin
05-30-2016, 03:50 PM
Of course it's the parents fault! End of story.

The zoo should also go after the parents for the cost of replacing the gorilla.

Best answer yet. :thumbup:. But I'm thinking the parents will be the ones suing. :banghead:

Cindy-TricLED
05-30-2016, 04:05 PM
My opinion: "Nowadays" parent are almost never at fault, that's why a lot of youngsters acting menace.
And yes, I have a 14 yrs old, so far not a single time he would just "leave" without asking permission or telling me.

So the parents need to replace the price of that gorilla.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldguyinTX
05-30-2016, 04:25 PM
Absolutely the parents fault. As said before, what parents in their right mind do not watch their children at all times in a public place? That child could have just as easily have been snatched and they would not have known it. My 2 cents worth.

BajaRon
05-30-2016, 04:56 PM
Best answer yet. :thumbup:. But I'm thinking the parents will be the ones suing. :banghead:

I agree. Not taking sides here. Just saying, I think the parents are going to sue and they will probably win. The new normal....

PrairieSpyder
05-30-2016, 04:56 PM
I haven't heard the circumstances of how the child was able to fall into the gorilla's enclosure, so I can't venture a guess about who's at fault for the incident occurring. But I think it's a no-brainer to shoot the animal to save the child.

Bob Denman
05-30-2016, 05:16 PM
The problem with that thought, is that nothing exits, that can possibly act that fast... :yikes:
If a 450 Big Male changes his mind about something; there's nothing that you can do about it...
And a slight pinch from a poison dart; might just be what triggers an attack on the child...

cuznjohn
05-30-2016, 05:59 PM
The problem with that thought, is that nothing exits, that can possibly act that fast... :yikes:
If a 450 Big Male changes his mind about something; there's nothing that you can do about it...
And a slight pinch from a poison dart; might just be what triggers an attack on the child...

if i put the story of my sex life on tape, and they play it when something like this happens, the animal will die laughing

Bob Denman
05-30-2016, 08:32 PM
:roflblack: But would they die immediately? :D

jaherbst
05-31-2016, 06:34 AM
Should have shot the parents for neglect and lack of supervision. This cost a wonderful animal his life.

Doubt very much if the Gorilla would have harmed the boy. They are only hostile when they feel

threatened.

Problem would have been trying to take the boy away from him once he declared possession.

Jack

Orange Spyder Man
05-31-2016, 07:08 AM
IMHO its the parents fault for not watching their child... and... the parents should be held responsible for paying to replace a gorilla in the zoo..

osm

bluestratos
06-02-2016, 05:01 PM
I do not have all the info but with that in mind I do not blame the parents, at least until I get the full story. How could such a young child actually get through or over the railing? It appears the railing was not designed to prevent the accident. If the railing is low enough that a child can scale it then additional safeguards should have been in place. This would include a secondary catch net placed below the railing.

Accidents happen and kids do stupid things (yes I was a parent). Keeping the kids on a leash would help but that would likely be prohibited as well, lol. Now, if the parent placed the child on the railing or did not remove him when a fall was imminent I would have to hold the parent accountable but from what I understand this is not the case, there parent was distracted by a second child if I heard correctly.

Shooting the animal was the best choice given its strength and the situation. Had a human grabbed a child and hurdled around as the gorilla did there would be no issue if a cop, or anyone else, shot the fool.

I have seen many times where children have climbed railings where the fall could have easily killed them but the parent allows it. I have spoken to the parent and received a tongue lashing for sticking my nose in their business. Go to the Grand Canyon and look a the short stone wall that surrounds the lookouts. On the other side there are shear drop offs hundreds of feet deep, if you take your eyes off a child for a second it could be the end of them yet. Yet while I was there I watched teenagers stand on them to show off or take pictures. To prevent this there are small signs posted to not stand on the wall.... wow that will prevent an accident for sure.

As the safety director for our company I always say "if it looks dangerous it is dangerous" I believe the Zoos, stadiums, parks etc must maintain barriers that are effective deterrents. No one need be charged or sued but a lesson should be learned. I am thankful the child is alright, I can't imagine my child in that situation or how guilty I would feel if I did not catch the boy before he fell.

Devious56
06-02-2016, 05:19 PM
From what I understood from the intitial reports was that the kid climbed over the railing and then wiggled his way thru the fencing that was there to catch anyone that happened to fall over the railing. Don't you think it's about time for people to start taking responcibllty for their actions? They said they didn't want to tranquilize the gorilla because it would endanger the child, they should have shot the child so that he wouldn't have suffered, and the gorilla would still be alive.

David

Bob Denman
06-02-2016, 05:31 PM
" they should have shot the child so that he wouldn't have suffered, and the gorilla would still be alive."

:shocked::hun: How would that have played-out; in the Press? :shocked:

vided
06-02-2016, 05:41 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=131307&stc=1

AY4B
06-02-2016, 08:48 PM
I would have just sent in the Parents to get their kid.

MOSESS
06-03-2016, 10:21 AM
The parents are at fault and the zoo bares some responsibility. They could tranquilized the gorilla . Why killing is always the answer..

granpa in Cincy
06-03-2016, 10:56 AM
The parents are at fault and the zoo bares some responsibility. They could tranquilized the gorilla . Why killing is always the answer..

Actually they couldn't tranquilize it without making it mad and it would hurt or kill the kid. The tranq would not take effect for 10 minutes. The zoo director discussed this in his newser and so did Jack Hanna of the Columbus zoo.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
06-03-2016, 11:01 AM
BLACK LIVES MATTER

vided
06-03-2016, 12:24 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=131348&stc=1

Cruzr Joe
06-03-2016, 01:01 PM
The Gorilla did not come out of the cage and attack the little boy.

The parents were completely at fault for not supervising their child.

The Zookeepers were correct to euthanize the Gorilla (sadly) to save the child's life.

Cruzr Joe

Cruzr Joe
06-03-2016, 01:08 PM
BLACK LIVES MATTER

And how does this remark fit into this story??

How can you even try to make this a racist issue??

I am embarrassed for you for even posting this, and think that you should delete this post to cover up your ignorance.

Cruzr Joe

bluestratos
06-03-2016, 01:08 PM
I never heard about the child wiggling his way through the secondary protection so that really changes a lot. But the outcome is still the same, the correct decision was made to kill the gorilla and save the child's life. I think the parents have been punished enough, both in witnessing the child's endangerment and all of the media attention. However, if neglect is the case then they should have to pay the Zoo for the value of the gorilla.

Bob Denman
06-03-2016, 01:33 PM
However, if neglect is the case then they should have to pay the Zoo for the value of the gorilla.
Thank you... :agree: :clap:
The fact that their Child is still alive: priceless!

HayRog
06-03-2016, 01:40 PM
:agree: tough call, sad situation but this society has gotten to the point that absolutely nothing is your fault. They need to own up to their responsibility and take care of their children better than their material possesions...Sorry , just burns me up when people expect everyone else to do their job...:banghead::banghead:

:agree:

Rob Rodriguez
06-03-2016, 02:10 PM
No question its the parents fault. I have a 7 and 9 yr old. We go places, we do things. They know how to behave in public and they listen. Why, because as parents we have taught them what's right and wrong and what's expected of them. They have rules and we ensure they follow those rules. You have to teach your children accountability and consequences. You would think this would be the norm for all parents but sadly its not. Its part of what's wrong with America and the world in general today.

At least that's my opinion.

Cruzr Joe
06-03-2016, 02:13 PM
No question its the parents fault. I have a 7 and 9 yr old. We go places, we do things. They know how to behave in public and they listen. Why, because as parents we have taught them what's right and wrong and what's expected of them. They have rules and we ensure they follow those rules. You have to teach your children accountability and consequences. You would think this would be the norm for all parents but sadly its not. Its part of what's wrong with America and the world in general today.

At least that's my opinion.

Later in life, your children will thank you for being their parent first and friend second, more parents should follow your lead. :thumbup::thumbup:

Cruzr Joe

vided
06-03-2016, 02:22 PM
And how does this remark fit into this story??

How can you even try to make this a racist issue??

Cruzr Joe

Do a little research nojoke

Bob Denman
06-03-2016, 02:42 PM
Later in life, your children will thank you for being their parent first and friend second, more parents should follow your lead. :thumbup::thumbup:

Cruzr Joe

:agree: I always told my Kid that I don't expect to be liked; just respected... My job as a parent, was to make the unpopular decisions, and he'd understand them at a later date.

:D He did! :thumbup:

Rob Rodriguez
06-03-2016, 02:49 PM

Cruzr Joe

Thanks Cruzr Joe. I hope this is true :)

Bob Denman
06-03-2016, 02:55 PM
It is...

But getting to that point in time, can drive you NuTz! :gaah: :D

cuznjohn
06-03-2016, 03:03 PM
https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/s480x480/13332948_1174432642599399_1551476577822790270_n.pn g?oh=190159af5a25be3c7c49d020b72ec026&oe=57C55537

Bob Denman
06-03-2016, 05:35 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=131369&stc=1

Sam Mac
06-03-2016, 06:00 PM
PC not but the Gorilla was an endangered species the kid not so much.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=131373&stc=1

Bob Denman
06-03-2016, 06:05 PM
:shocked: But what would he have done; after it was asleep??? :yikes:

Sam Mac
06-03-2016, 06:40 PM
:shocked: But what would he have done; after it was asleep??? :yikes:

Not sure I want to know............... :wrong:

Bob Denman
06-04-2016, 07:38 AM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=131389&stc=1