PDA

View Full Version : Strapping Down For Trailering

Degaman
03-10-2009, 02:33 PM
I just ordered a custom built 6x11' open trailer for transporting spyder. It will have a drop down axle, 3 foot dove tail, and a 4 foot gate/ramp.

Two questions:

What size wheel chocks for front wheels (I'm thinking 7 inch)?

What is the best way to strap the spyder down when loaded?

:dontknow:

Jimmy Neutron
03-10-2009, 02:37 PM
I don't always read them but I happened to be looking in my owners manual and there is a section that shows you the way they think is best..

tjfischer
03-10-2009, 02:40 PM
I just ordered a custom built 6x11' open trailer for transporting spyder. It will have a drop down axle, 3 foot dove tail, and a 4 foot gate/ramp.

Two questions:

What size wheel chocks for front wheels (I'm thinking 7 inch)?

There is a chapter in your owners Manual titled "Transporting and Storing" I have an SM5 and its on pages 67 - 69. It shows how to tie down the Spyder:cheers:

M2Wild
03-10-2009, 02:51 PM
Straps to outer most rims only .... anything else you risk damaging the sprocket or brace.

max continuous
03-10-2009, 03:21 PM
I agree with these guys. I have a 8x10 tilt ski-doo trailer and it works well. I had to build 2 short ramps (4ft.) as the Spyder is so low that I could drag the nose loading or unloading.
3 ratcheting tie downs and the parking brake set and your good.
Max

VIspyderman
03-10-2009, 03:34 PM

Just don't tie to the rear hand holds or the foot peg brackets. They'll break. Don't ask me how I know. LOL:cus::dontknow:

aubierules
03-10-2009, 03:56 PM
Straps to outer most rims only .... anything else you risk damaging the sprocket or brace.
:agree:

Degaman
03-10-2009, 05:30 PM
Thanks to all!

As usual, when in doubt, read the instructions. Any thoughts on whether to use front wheel chocks or not, and if so, what size?

NancysToy
03-10-2009, 06:06 PM
Thanks to all!

As usual, when in doubt, read the instructions. Any thoughts on whether to use front wheel chocks or not, and if so, what size?
I use them. Not sure that I would need to, but they make putting the front straps on easier, you don't have to go back and forth to the back. It also puts the Spyder in the same place every time. I just use the cheap plastic chocks from the RV section at Walmart. I drilled through them so I can bolt them to the trailer floor. My trailer is an enclosed trailer, but should work the same for anything. With the wheels individually strapped down, I don't think there is a need for chocks with sides. My wheels have never moved an inch, even on some very rough roads.
-Scotty

brutus450
03-10-2009, 08:05 PM
Thanks to all!

As usual, when in doubt, read the instructions.

instructions??? what are they? real men dont read instructionsroflmao

well at least until AFTER

frleo
03-10-2009, 08:51 PM
Just returned from close to 1000 miles of trailering the spYder from Northern PA to Carolinas and back.
I have an enclosed Triton Trailer. It is set up so I drive the front wheels into a set of chocks, leave it in 1st and set the PB.
Using soft ties, I secure the front via the lower A-arms to rings installed on the floor. I pass a tie down through the rear wheel RIM and secure to tie cleats at the back. Thru the PA hills and West Virginia highways, some rough roads, some very curvy roads, some snow, rain and even ice AND high winds, the spYder never moved and inch.

Got in some beautiful ryding during the warm spell following the snow storm.

Now, I'm just waiting for Spring to spring in NW PA.

---leo---