PDA

View Full Version : Is there a solution here?

tplayer49
05-26-2016, 01:04 PM
Still flopping around in the Spyder trailing saga. My wife is retiring soon, and I want to trailer our 2014 STS around.

Tried hard to get it up my 6 x12 enclosed utility trailer. Couldn't figure that out. Just got back from a Uhaul and trailer place. They said... no way... they can't figure that out either. They said buy one of those trailers that drops down. Okay,$ 6,000 for a little open trailer we are going to use for a few years. No way. I want an enclosed trailer for that kind of money. I want an Engineer genius to tell me how to get my STS into my enclosed 6 x 12 utility trailer. : )

Any suggestions?

Joe

Chupaca
05-26-2016, 01:11 PM
How could you not..?? well not being the trailering type I would have to see the configuration of the trailer. Even if the front wheels don't clear the wheel wells if you back it in you should have the room. :dontknow:

Bob Denman
05-26-2016, 01:17 PM
It's actually pretty easy...
How long is the tailgate/ramp on your trailer?
(I assume that's what it has.)
What is the load height of the trailer?
What you'll need to do, is cut two pieces of 2x8 lumber. Make two of them about five feet long.
Place these ramps against the tailgate of your trailer, and let them extend rearward from the tailgate. You'll be riding your Spyder up onto these (Make sure that the front wheels land on them...), and then onto the tailgate.
This should be able to lessen the approach angle, and allow you to load the bike without dragging it's nose on the tailgate. :thumbup:

Kwalsh
05-26-2016, 01:20 PM
a lot of people have come up with differant ways to do it, longer ramps to cut the incline, backing truck onto blocks to bring nose of trailer up but without knowing exactly what you have and why you cant load it there is not much we can do

JLMaurer58
05-26-2016, 02:21 PM
I rented a 6' x 12' trailer when I went from Michigan to Kentucky to pick up my 2014RT in March it fit with plenty of room. The only problem was the cables on the ramp was in the way just moved them a bit and all was fine. Clean bike when I got home.

scott16119
05-26-2016, 02:49 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=130985&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=130986&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=130987&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=130988&stc=1I don't haul my Spyder often enough to justify spending a lot of money on a trailer either. I use a 6'x8' utility trailer with a few little modifications. If your ramp is to steep, this is how I made it work for me.

Bob Denman
05-26-2016, 02:53 PM
:clap: Nice pictures! :2thumbs:

Frank G
05-26-2016, 03:05 PM
Still flopping around in the Spyder trailing saga. My wife is retiring soon, and I want to trailer our 2014 STS around.

Tried hard to get it up my 6 x12 enclosed utility trailer. Couldn't figure that out. Just got back from a Uhaul and trailer place. They said... no way... they can't figure that out either. They said buy one of those trailers that drops down. Okay,$ 6,000 for a little open trailer we are going to use for a few years. No way. I want an enclosed trailer for that kind of money. I want an Engineer genius to tell me how to get my STS into my enclosed 6 x 12 utility trailer. : )

Joe
Any suggestions?

Here is mine in a 6 x 12 Stealth All Aluminum Trailer, Only $3700.0
Frank

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=130989&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=130990&stc=1

Vader
05-26-2016, 03:28 PM
To get my GS home from CT..Fit fine, and just brought some extra 2x12's to help load her up. There are plenty solutions to your delemma. Asking for assistance was the first step. Good luck and keep us posted!
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=130991&stc=1

GS1
05-26-2016, 03:56 PM
rented a Uhaul 6x12 trailer, I used 2- 4x4 blocks of wood and car ramps. The blocks of wood held the tail gate up to the height of the ramps, lined up :spyder2: drove on to the car ramps then on to tail gate moved 1 of the ramps under rear tire and drove on. :yes:

pitzerwm
05-26-2016, 07:53 PM
OP, explain what you problem is. Asking a Uhaul kid for info, is like Little Red Riding Hood asking the wolf for directions.

Mazo EMS2
05-26-2016, 08:34 PM
A few easy things you can do are: position the trailer in a place where the tires are in a dip to reduce the incline of the ramp (the transition from street to driveway works well). Another thing is to, using the jack of the trailer with the trailer hooked up, jack it up as high as it will go (you'll be picking up your vehicle a bit too). This will also reduce that ramp angle. Another thing is to lay a piece of lumber under the very end of the ramp when it's down, again reducing he angle. Another, if you're in town and have curb/gutter, park the trailer in the street and drop the ramp onto the curb and ride the bike through the lawn onto the ramp. All of the above can easily be done for free, and if you can combine a couple of them together, it'll be easy. Anything you can do to reduce the ramp angle is the key. Those fancy dropping trailers are sexy, but no way worth the cost in my opinion. It should wash your bike at your destination for those prices

Grandpot
05-26-2016, 08:46 PM
If you are going to use the trailer for a limited time and a limit number of times, rent a U-Haul. You don't have to worry about storing it or maintaining it. It will be cheaper.

kbwitt
05-26-2016, 09:22 PM
Enclosed trailers are a huge air drag so mpg drops bad hard on traney, and a pitch in heavy side winds. I find open trailers a better way. Thats my4 cents
Kenn

Tango
05-27-2016, 11:23 AM
I paid $5500 for an all aluminum 7X12 enclosed trailer. With brakes. V-nose, drop down front. Rear door drops down, and has a transition flap. No problems getting in or out. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

tplayer49
05-29-2016, 07:46 PM
What you'll need to do, is cut two pieces of 2x8 lumber. Make two of them about five feet long.
Place these ramps against the tailgate of your trailer, and let them extend rearward from the tailgate. You'll be riding your Spyder up onto these (Make sure that the front wheels land on them...), and then onto the tailgate.
This should be able to lessen the approach angle, and allow you to load the bike without dragging it's nose on the tailgate. :thumbup:

Hi Bob,

No way. I have no ramp on my trailer and the height is 17 inches. I tried that with 6ft ramps. No way. The middle of the bike gets jammed up. The rear wheel needs a lift. I may try to order 10ft arched ramp system that I saw online. Thanks for the write back.

Joe : )

tplayer49
05-29-2016, 07:52 PM
Enclosed trailers are a huge air drag so mpg drops bad hard on traney, and a pitch in heavy side winds. I find open trailers a better way. Thats my4 cents
Kenn

Hey Kenn,

I know a lot about trailering from many years of camping. You know a lot too.... because your response makes a lot of sense. But spend 6 or 7 k for an open trailer??? That ain't happening.
But... let's say my wife and I want to go hang out in Fla. for a few weeks. I am thinking my bike would be better safe and protected when we are out somewhere... if it is in an enclosed trailer. What do you do to protect your bike when u travel?

tplayer49
05-29-2016, 07:56 PM
I paid $5500 for an all aluminum 7X12 enclosed trailer. With brakes. V-nose, drop down front. Rear door drops down, and has a transition flap. No problems getting in or out. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

Hi Tom,

How long is the ramp and transition flap? Would like to know make if it was a new purchase. Is that with tax and shipping?

Joe

tplayer49
05-29-2016, 08:01 PM
If you are going to use the trailer for a limited time and a limit number of times, rent a U-Haul. You don't have to worry about storing it or maintaining it. It will be cheaper.
Thanks friend,

That is a great idea. However, my problem is getting the bike on a trailer. Does U-Haul have a trailer with a ramp that would accommodate a 2014 Spyder StS?

Thanks for the write back. : )

Joe

Buggy
05-29-2016, 08:29 PM
All aluminum 77 inch wide by 12 ft. Hydraulic tilt bed.....drive right on...tie down and drive away.

Blue Star
05-29-2016, 08:30 PM
They had a two-axle trailer, I don't know how long, but longer than the RT was. They unhooked the trailer from the hitch, tilted the trailer, and drove up the trailer. The trailer did have a short ramp that made the pitch too steep for the RT. He used tire blocks to keep the trailer from rolling once the trailer flattened out. I did not see him unload the RT, but he said it works good, just like loading it. I told him he was a braver man than I was, but for him it worked.

Tango
05-29-2016, 08:39 PM
Hi Tom,

How long is the ramp and transition flap? Would like to know make if it was a new purchase. Is that with tax and shipping?

Joe

New, $5500 plus tax. Transition flap is 12" I think. Rear door 6' long? I 'm guessing here. I can measure tomorrow. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

Frank G
05-29-2016, 09:11 PM
I have made many winter trips from northern Ohio to Florida Via I-75 and have always encountered heavy salting conditions at least part of the way. I consider open trailering over wet salted roads the same as dipping them in sea water, at this point most insurance companys render a vehicle a total loss. Covering them with a tarp or full cover can make the situation even worse. In my humble opinion the only solution is an enclosed trailer. Now, I have never transversed I-95 in the winter so I do not know the salting conditions one may encounter. Water and dirt is one thing, salt and the additives to it are another.

Good luck in finding a solution.

By the way, the wife and I are trying out the new toy hauler rv this weekend. A Vengeance 29V :ohyea:

I will be putting my 6 x 12 Stealth all aluminum trailer up for sale later this summer.

Joerolwing
05-30-2016, 06:22 AM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=130985&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=130986&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=130987&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=130988&stc=1I don't haul my Spyder often enough to justify spending a lot of money on a trailer either. I use a 6'x8' utility trailer with a few little modifications. If your ramp is to steep, this is how I made it work for me.

doesn't this configuration put too much weight in your hitch?

eagleeye299
05-30-2016, 06:30 AM
I use this on my trailer works great.
http://www.tiltahitch.com

Dc8cappie
05-30-2016, 08:14 AM
All aluminum 77 inch wide by 12 ft. Hydraulic tilt bed.....drive right on...tie down and drive away.

Thanks for the pic's Buggy. I was just looking at that trailer on Friday and wondering how it would work to pull behind my RV. I guess I'll have to go purchase one this week.

Do you happen to remember the part numbers for the rails?

Happy travels,
dc8cappie

Bob Denman
05-30-2016, 08:18 AM
Hi Bob,

No way. I have no ramp on my trailer and the height is 17 inches. I tried that with 6ft ramps. No way. The middle of the bike gets jammed up. The rear wheel needs a lift. I may try to order 10ft arched ramp system that I saw online. Thanks for the write back.

17" load height is on the tall side... :shocked:
The longer ramps that you've mentioned should hold the cure; IF you've got the room to load them on the trailer also. :thumbup:

Questions
05-30-2016, 08:34 AM
I rented an enclosed 6x12 uhaul trailer to bring mine back from FL. Problem was that it didn't have a ramp. Went to Home Depot and bought 2 sets of ramp kits, some 2x10 which I cut to 4', and a piece of 3/4 plywood which I cut in half at the store. Wound up making a 4' long ramp with 3 supports underneath. It was a smidge short so I wound up getting stuck halfway up, but I found that if I found a curb and backed up and put the ramp on the curb, it worked fine. It was a cheap solution and I just carried the ramp inside the trailer.

I will say that I own an open 6x12 utility trailer which I chose not to take to FL. I was glad to have the enclosed trailer as it protected the spyder from the elements and rocks thrown up by the rear wheels of my truck. It was an easy haul.

Buggy
05-30-2016, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the pic's Buggy. I was just looking at that trailer on Friday and wondering how it would work to pull behind my RV. I guess I'll have to go purchase one this week.

Do you happen to remember the part numbers for the rails?

Happy travels,
dc8cappie

sorry I don't have that info but it was bought from a Aluma dealer. It pulls great btw.

robmorg
05-30-2016, 09:39 PM
doesn't this configuration put too much weight in your hitch?
It shouldn't. The fore/aft balance point on the RT is just about where the front foot pegs are and that's only a foot or so forward of the trailer axle in the picture. :thumbup:

tplayer49
06-05-2016, 07:49 PM

Awesome idea. Thank u so much for sharing.

Joe

tplayer49
07-12-2016, 05:14 AM
I have made many winter trips from northern Ohio to Florida Via I-75 and have always encountered heavy salting conditions at least part of the way. I consider open trailering over wet salted roads the same as dipping them in sea water, at this point most insurance companys render a vehicle a total loss. Covering them with a tarp or full cover can make the situation even worse. In my humble opinion the only solution is an enclosed trailer. Now, I have never transversed I-95 in the winter so I do not know the salting conditions one may encounter. Water and dirt is one thing, salt and the additives to it are another.

Good luck in finding a solution.

By the way, the wife and I are trying out the new toy hauler rv this weekend. A Vengeance 29V :ohyea:

I will be putting my 6 x 12 Stealth all aluminum trailer up for sale later this summer.
Hi Frank,

I agree with everything u said. So I held out on the open trailer. Then went on Craig's List... and there it was. An enclosed 2005 Ironhorse trailer in great shape. When I went to see it... way in another town... It was a old friend that was selling it. I got it for $3,200.
Your wish for good luck worked. Thanks! :rolleyes:

Joe

Richardv
07-12-2016, 06:33 AM
Hi Bob,

....as you can see, it can be done both ways with 6'5" ramps and the pin cranked to the highest level.

Richard

DaveMcC
07-15-2016, 12:07 PM

You'll need 3 2x8 ramps if you plan on having the rear wheel in the trailer. Also the longer the better depending on the height of your trail bed. I'm going with 84" planks as I don't want the angle to dig into my undercarriage.

Frank G
07-15-2016, 12:30 PM
Hi Frank,

I agree with everything u said. So I held out on the open trailer. Then went on Craig's List... and there it was. An enclosed 2005 Ironhorse trailer in great shape. When I went to see it... way in another town... It was a old friend that was selling it. I got it for $3,200.
Your wish for good luck worked. Thanks! :rolleyes:

Joe

Happy everything worked out for you.