PDA

View Full Version : UNSEEN DISABILITIES

Rukpub
05-26-2016, 12:04 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3xLl58frjw

Chupaca
05-26-2016, 01:04 PM
I have a disability that as long as I am strapped into a series of contraptions look normal and can move about normal for a spell. Without it or after a few hours I'm done. Maybe why I love my Spyder, 'cause it is one place I can be for hours with the only off time being to eat and fuel up... :bowdown: for pointing this out, before I got this way, I was one sneering at abled looking folks using handicap parking etc.... now I know better...

ARtraveler
05-26-2016, 02:07 PM
Thanks for posting your video. I can relate to all that you have said. :yes:

Bob Denman
05-26-2016, 05:43 PM
:clap: Thanks for the video, and I admire your spirit! :2thumbs:

philblumenfeld
05-26-2016, 06:31 PM
You don't see my depression and PTSD, but it's there.

debbiepalamar
05-26-2016, 08:30 PM
I have a knee that will eventually need to be replaced. I look perfectly fine, but sometimes I have given it all just to shop. I get dirty looks when I don't put the cart in the corral that's across the parking lot.

Now that I have my Spyder, I have a lot of people saying that they would NEVER ride one of them. When I explain that I have a bad knee and also suffered tendon damage to my left wrist, most of them agree that I have found a good solution. What bothers me are the few who look down their noses at my and say that they would rather not ride. People don't realize how much this hurts. I wish I was back on two wheels, too. Why can't they just be supportive?

Thanks for your video.

Rukpub
05-26-2016, 08:43 PM
I have a knee that will eventually need to be replaced. I look perfectly fine, but sometimes I have given it all just to shop. I get dirty looks when I don't put the cart in the corral that's across the parking lot.

Now that I have my Spyder, I have a lot of people saying that they would NEVER ride one of them. When I explain that I have a bad knee and also suffered tendon damage to my left wrist, most of them agree that I have found a good solution. What bothers me are the few who look down their noses at my and say that they would rather not ride. People don't realize how much this hurts. I wish I was back on two wheels, too. Why can't they just be supportive?

Thanks for your video.
Unfortunately some can't see beyond their own selfishness: for example although I have the disabled label on my spyders tag one angry person kept telling me your riding a motorcycle as implying there is nothing wrong with me. He wanted the space so bad he called a security guard. I even explained my condition but he did not want to here it. So I geared up and rode on saddened by the selfishness of some people.

debbiepalamar
05-26-2016, 08:45 PM
That's horrible.

Peter Aawen
05-26-2016, 09:28 PM
Thanks for your vid Rukpub.

I too, am one of the 'unseen disabled' and I too have been given grief simply because I 'don't look disabled' when I've been using the disabled facilities that are pretty much the only things (besides my Spyder that is, my Hi-speed Mobility Scooter!) that let me get out amongst it these days!! That does tend to annoy me a little, as generally the people dishing that sort of crap have absolutely no idea about the amount of ongoing sweat & pain that goes into me living my life as 'normally' as possible; nor are they aware that I 'acquired' my current 'disabilities' & injuries thru serving them & my country - but I do try to keep in mind that they can't really know that just by looking at me; & besides, it's THEIR problem, not mine! If they hafta go thru life being that petty & ignorant all the time then they must really lead pretty miserable lives - and I'm not going to let their behaviour towards me drag me down to their level of ignorance & intolerance!

Bob Denman
05-27-2016, 07:25 AM
I try to remember to forgive them, for their ignorance... ;)
It makes me feel better.
(Over 50 years of Type I Diabetes, with all of the possible complications from it.)

Musashi
01-25-2017, 04:45 PM
Loved reading this thread! Thanks for your stories. I've been totally and permanently disabled for over a decade due to a line of duty head, neck, spine injury in the military. Folks observing me casually would never suspect, thanks to 10 long, hard years of rehab, some awesome docs and therapists, and the Good Lord's mercy. Without a Can Am Spyder, I can't ride anymore. Brave to y'all for keeping on keeping on!

Habib
01-25-2017, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the video, best ride I've had all winter. :2thumbs:

I've always hated whiners and don't like pointing out my problems but ****, their just medical. I can't breath without extra oxygen. Joints are shot should have had a knee years ago and the ankle worked on but the doc says I can't handle it being on blood thinners and I can barely bend over and lift up my shoes let alone a 2 wheeler. Type2 diabetes. Faint a lot if I don't breath right and have the scars to prove it :D. To get from the front door to the Spyder (10') I have to stop and rest three times even with air. I figured 70 would be a different life and it is, but just different than I thought. So, if I don't make many of the events I would like to go to it's cause I need a bit of help now and then and I burden my wife enough I won't do it to any others out trying to have a good time. I'll just wait for good weather and keep putting the miles on the Spyder, I love that damn thing.

MR. H1956
02-11-2018, 02:31 PM
That was a really great video. I have stage 4 emphysema and never know when I may have another pneumothorax happen again. Having a lung collapse is really a scary thought. But it happens. Riding our RT is some of my most enjoyable moment's other than spending time with my family and friends. Life is what you make of it and having fun and living it to the fullest is the only way to go. So get out there and enjoy it. Ride often and happy trails to all of us.

sandeejs
02-11-2018, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the video, Habib.
Here's a "cute" incident under the heading people are idiots.

About 15 years ago, I was working on my Masters degree, getting some articles from the Medical Library downtown.

In the parking lat, as I was GETTING MY MOBILITY SCOOTER OUT , a lady stopped me to self-righteously ask if I had a handicap placard.

Using the lift to get my Amigo scooter out of the back and she doesn't think I'm handicapped enough?

That's why I often carry a cane. It doesn't really help me that much, but it keeps the fools at bay.

~Sandee~

Cleg
02-12-2018, 08:25 AM
Thanks for sharing. I’d like share one...as a Left AKA there are times when I can’t wear my prosthesis :yikes:... and when those happen, I still ride and yes park in designated parking. An older couple were quite upset with me when I pulled into the spot and removed my helmet while seated. They quite vocallly told me I was not to park in the designated spot, it is reserved for people in wheel chairs. Well, being very nice, I simply said, 👌 and slid off the RT and hopped to the rear to remove my collapsed crutches from the luggage rack... I asked the couple, do I fit the criteria? They were embarrassed to say the least.

That day I was legless, and obviously disabled, but how many times have people seen me and others, who “look” able bodied, park in the designated areas and, comment or complain that we ‘took their spot’, block us in, or worse, park in a designated spot (and say I’m only going in for a minute) without authorization in place. :lecturef_smilie::dontknow:. Awareness of such events needs to be broadcasted all about to help us all...

I also know of similar situations for our disabled 2 wheel riders.... it ain’t always what it looks like from the outside...ride safe all. :yes::yes:

UtahPete
02-12-2018, 12:51 PM
Well done. Thanks for reminder.

ARtraveler
02-12-2018, 01:18 PM
Good stories all. There is a lot of the "unseen" stuff going on. It was obvious when I had the bad hip. Needed help just to get the leg over the :ani29: seat, and had to walk "hunched over" with a cane when getting off.

Now, the hip is better, but a heart condition prevents me from walking more than 100 feet before I have to stop and rest. I don't look disabled--but I would not want you to walk in my shoes.

I get looks from people and did get a few nasty notes from do gooders when I park my :spyder2: in designated parking and put the HC placard on the windshield. One note giver was waiting for me when I came out limping from the supermarket. I guess he had second thoughts when he saw me.

Bottom line, I am careful not to judge others, and hope they feel the same about me. :thumbup:

I would gladly trade that HC sticker and plate just to be "normal."

Lamonster
02-12-2018, 01:51 PM
Wow, great post. Thanks for sharing.

Mine are not as bad as some. Hep C since I was 18, I take stuff for my liver everyday.
Ringing in my ears that is so loud I think others should be able to hear it.
Few other mental things I deal with but other than that life is good. :doorag:

Zip
02-12-2018, 02:11 PM
I too have an unseen disability (at least for now). I have MS and right now it cannot be seen but one day it most likely will. I have good days and bad days, my balance is what I have the most issue with. I can ryde a 2 wheeler but if I had an issue while riding I know I would go down. I have been putting off getting handicapped plates for the Spyder but finally gave in. When I went to DMV with my paperwork they looked at me and said handicapped plates on a motorcycle? I said yes, there response was I don't think we can do that. I said yes you can. They had to call division for special plates to verify that they do have them. I have to mail away to get them. They did ask how can I ride a MC if I am handicapped. I said it's a Spyder and has 3 wheels.

MR. H1956
02-12-2018, 03:19 PM
Loved reading this thread! Thanks for your stories. I've been totally and permanently disabled for over a decade due to a line of duty head, neck, spine injury in the military. Folks observing me casually would never suspect, thanks to 10 long, hard years of rehab, some awesome docs and therapists, and the Good Lord's mercy. Without a Can Am Spyder, I can't ride anymore. Brave to y'all for keeping on keeping on!
Thank you and all the other vets out there for your service. May some of these people that are ignorant to others disabilities wake up and try to get more informed about what really goes on in the world. And not just what they see in their own little world. Thank again.

MNBK
02-12-2018, 08:53 PM
Both my wife and I Qualify for handicap stickers. She has had both hips replaced and still has trouble walking any distance. I broke my back in 5 places and have had 9 knee operations to include a replacement all due to my previous profession. When we use our stickers, some people look at us and our two spyders and start to argue with us and threaten to call the police. I tell them no need to and show them my retired Sheriff's Office ID. That usually ends the conversation.

sealfloorboards
02-13-2018, 12:19 PM
When I first got my Spyder, I would put my car placard on my Spyder. I finally ran into a cop that thought I should not be allowed to park my Spyder in a handicapped spot regardless of my auto placard. He gave me a ticket. I immediately went to the courthouse (I live in a small town) to challenge it. I managed to go right into traffic court and see the judge. I told him that I walked the same way whether I was on my Spyder or in my car. Also noted that the placard traveled with me and not my car. He went to his Oregon Traffic Laws book and found that there was actually a Handicapped sticker to put on a motorcycle. He dismissed the case and thanked me for bringing it to his attention. Off to the DMV to order a Motorcycle Handicapped Sticker. Case closed, I may occasionally get a "stink eye" from someone, but I haven't had any trouble since then. Now I park legally and Ride in comfort.
John

thereverend
07-13-2018, 10:16 AM

Thanks for recognizing those of us with unseen disabilities, I have a pulmonary disorder and can relate.

sealfloorboards
07-26-2018, 01:34 PM
This is the third time I've read this entire thread over the past few months. Today, as in past readings, I'm still in awe at some of the obstacles we can overcome. Hy hat's off to all my enabled friends:bowdown:. Life may not have played out like we expected, but I see an awful lot of "Lemonade" out there rather than "Lemons". Bless you all.
Ride in comfort,
John

sylvester
07-26-2018, 02:32 PM

Just ad the same thing done in June wen for a short ride monday my eight weeks of healing was up so away i go can't stop living fir a little thing like that .Survived 7 heart attacks, thanks for sharing will ride till i absolutely can't any more hang in there :clap::cheers:

Two cats
08-07-2018, 09:06 AM
This is the third time I've read this entire thread over the past few months. Today, as in past readings, I'm still in awe at some of the obstacles we can overcome. Hy hat's off to all my enabled friends:bowdown:. Life may not have played out like we expected, but I see an awful lot of "Lemonade" out there rather than "Lemons". Bless you all.
Ride in comfort,
John
Thanks my friend. Our lives May change. But our spirit prevails over our trials and tribulations. Ride Safe :riding: Happy Trails.

Krystal
12-05-2018, 07:41 PM
I always worry about this When my husband parks in disabled parking spaces. My husband has afib, COPD, and has just had bypass surgery so he can't drive at all for one month or drive a Spyder for 3 months. He had a previous heart attack and gets tired quickly and short of breath walking long distances. But he looks normal, so people don't always see the disability. Just happy he will still be able to enjoy riding with me in the future:)

wd8ajj
12-05-2018, 08:27 PM
I have been confronted more than I like to say. Even with a H/C plate on the bike been called a cheat and a few other terms. I have gone thru 29 major surgeries on my legs back hips arms shoulders and #30 happens on the 10th to repaice my Knee and pin into the leg bones due to my bones Die for unknown reason. As long as they can rebuild me I keep on going. Yes a spider has kept me riding and having fun. I even bought a new camper this year, so my "disability" has slowed me down but not stopped me. I agree with all who get tired of people saying you don't look disabled so why are you abusing the system? I did ask one person what a disabled person looked like and he said a few interesting words and walked away. I did one summer when a person wanted to know why I was disabled and didn't look like one I dropped my pants and showed him all my scars. He had nothing to say after that. I laughed all the way home.

Saluda
12-05-2018, 09:15 PM
My uncle had 2 major heart attacks (@ 55). Had to live with extreme limitations (hated it). Looking at him he was built like a bull, if not these attacks would have killed him right away. People were never understanding, it did kill him a short time later. God bless and strength to all of you out there with your own issues, whether they show or not. I now completely understand and sympathize because of this.

ARtraveler
12-05-2018, 09:23 PM
The third time I have read this from top to bottom now. Thank you all for posting your stories and comments. :bowdown:

Two cats
12-22-2018, 07:10 PM
The third time I have read this from top to bottom now. Thank you all for posting your stories and comments. :bowdown:

You are welcome my friend.Happy Trails:riding:

canamjhb
12-22-2018, 08:32 PM
I, too have read this thread more than once. It is a good reminder for me to keep an open mind open and not judge others. Right now, I am in a walking boot due to surgery. I am still able to ride because the surgery was on my left foot. I did not ask for, or need any special parking. I am able to negotiate the parking lots for any reasonable distance. I want to leave the handicap parking spots for those in need, weather the disability is obvious or not. My condition is temporary. Having experienced a short term "disability", I have the highest respect for those who live with long term issues and live life to the fullest..... Ride on..... Jim

Two cats
12-22-2018, 10:34 PM
I, too have read this thread more than once. It is a good reminder for me to keep an open mind open and not judge others. Right now, I am in a walking boot due to surgery. I am still able to ride because the surgery was on my left foot. I did not ask for, or need any special parking. I am able to negotiate the parking lots for any reasonable distance. I want to leave the handicap parking spots for those in need, weather the disability is obvious or not. My condition is temporary. Having experienced a short term "disability", I have the highest respect for those who live with long term issues and live life to the fullest..... Ride on..... Jim
I to want to thank you all for sharing your experiences with us. I have read a lot of these post also. And hope all is going well for you. It's nice that we can share our lives with each Other and know that we have friends that we've not meet to hear about their goings on and see how they have overcome things. So thanks again to you all and let's all keep in touch. :chat: Happy Trails Ride Safe, Ride Often my Friends.:riding::

LeftCoast
12-23-2018, 12:34 AM
I saw this recently and it impacted me deeply. I don’t think the same way after reading this thread and the saying below:

“BE KIND, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about.”

God bless you all who pave the way for those of us needing inspiration.

Chasinsparks
12-23-2018, 01:07 AM
From my own experience the problem starts with uneducated people and the universal (ISA) symbol depicting a person in a wheelchair.
I’m a 100% disabled Veteran and although I do not look like I have any physical limitations, I have quite a few. I have had a disabled parking placard since 2015. I rarely use it due to fact I know there are persons far worse off than me, however there are some days the pain is unbearable, and I refuse to be on pain meds all the time, so I deal with it and still do the things I enjoy and on those days I parked in the disabled parking.
I have been blasted a few times for parking in the disabled parking spot. Both times I was told well you don't look disabled, I politely asked what a disabled person looks like. Once I was met with the answer that I was not in a wheelchair and that according to the emblem on the placard it shows a person in a wheelchair and that I do not match that description. I explained that is the universal (ISA) emblem and that it does not mean you have to be in a chair to be disabled and then told them to educate themselves.

On a positive note just two days ago I put disabled plates on both my Q7 and Spyder. Maryland has a benefit for 100% disabled Veterans where it does not cost anything, and the tags are permanent never have to register the vehicles again.

spades2319
02-25-2024, 08:12 AM
Thank you for the video! I am still adjusting to my unseen disability as this is all new for me.

July 2,2023 I had a massive stroke at 44 years old. I got very lucky in both where I was and my recovery (link to video below) but it has slightly limited the use of my left hand. Life has changed some as I learn my limitations (I hate that word) and finding the spyder allowing me to return to riding is amazing. The video link to my story is below. I am luckily avoiding the pacemaker by having an ablation on Friday (Mar 1) .. They talk about it being routine but messing with one's heart is scary ..They do them as out patient now with no hospital time so that's a plus. At this point I have had catheters in my brain so why not my heart I guess.

I can't thank you enough for the encouragement!!

https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?ref=watch_permalink&v=673878214938165

Gwolf
02-25-2024, 08:32 AM
I don't have no disabilities, just a few minor inconvieniences. The car load of teenagers driving grandmas car and parking in the disabled spots are the ones with disabilities.

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-25-2024, 12:47 PM
Thank you for the video! I am still adjusting to my unseen disability as this is all new for me.

July 2,2023 I had a massive stroke at 44 years old. I got very lucky in both where I was and my recovery (link to video below) but it has slightly limited the use of my left hand. Life has changed some as I learn my limitations (I hate that word) and finding the spyder allowing me to return to riding is amazing. The video link to my story is below. I am luckily avoiding the pacemaker by having an ablation on Friday (Mar 1) .. They talk about it being routine but messing with one's heart is scary ..They do them as out patient now with no hospital time so that's a plus. At this point I have had catheters in my brain so why not my heart I guess.

I can't thank you enough for the encouragement!!

https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?ref=watch_permalink&v=673878214938165

:agree: .... I have severe arthritis, and it prevents me from walking long distances .... I'm sure some folks will look at me and think " WHY DOES HE HAVE A DIS-ABLED PLACARD, He doesn't look at all dis-abled ..... I have actually been questioned at the Ski area I go to. So I keep a copy of the registration with me in my Ski jacket ..... So far I'm still able to ski, but only on the shorter trails .... no more top to bottom runs :dontknow: .... Mike :thumbup:

Bfromla
02-25-2024, 01:22 PM

Thankfully only one confrontation (full parking lot) & I made sure to thank the person for their effort, but to check license plate first. Proceeded with removing my hat revealing cranial scars, while sharing the story of what God has gotten me through. That person then apologized & we continued a conversation bout troubles of blocked parking & more importantly, the “Loading zones” striped areas beside the parking slot, often filled with buggies & or whatever else that doesn’t belong. People just don’t realize the troubles others can have until helping someone close (family/friend) or they themselves are injured such a way. Can’t blame them as we are trying to hide it & be normal (-ish). Those that just don’t care, however...

207126 - this person probably just littered the paper driving off & considered it a sunshade.

On different note -