PDA

View Full Version : riding in the heat

cuznjohn
05-26-2016, 10:59 AM
well it is now 84 degrees here in queens ny. i knew it was going to be a hot one, so i went out really early so i didn't overheat. i put on my 50 sunscreen and a very light long sleeve shirt. i take metforum for my diabetes and it makes me light sensitive so i wore the long sleeve shirt. well i had to come home. the heat was driving me nuts. there were riders on the road with jackets on and full face helmets. bless them, but i could never ride like that. how many people ride with jackets in 80 plus weather days, i rather stay home

Bob Denman
05-26-2016, 11:02 AM
ATGATT... even into the nineties. :thumbup:
Actually: it's cooler to ride with my mesh jacket on, than in just a Tee-Shirt. nojoke

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=130971&stc=1

I will NEVER complain, and never park the bike, due to the temperatures being too high...
Our Winters have driven home the point that you can't wait around for good riding weather.

IVSSpyder
05-26-2016, 11:07 AM
In Texas, I ride with a mess jacket and full face helmet when I ride. Now if it's 90+, it'll ride in a long sleeve shirt and full face helmet. It's actually cooler that way. :yikes:

robmorg
05-26-2016, 11:09 AM
well it is now 84 degrees here in queens ny. i knew it was going to be a hot one, so i went out really early so i didn't overheat. i put on my 50 sunscreen and a very light long sleeve shirt. i take metforum for my diabetes and it makes me light sensitive so i wore the long sleeve shirt. well i had to come home. the heat was driving me nuts. there were riders on the road with jackets on and full face helmets. bless them, but i could never ride like that. how many people ride with jackets in 80 plus weather days, i rather stay home

John,

NEXT time you do that, try riding fully naked - except for eye protection, of course. Be sure to use full-body sun screen.

...oh, and you should probably get up REAL early in the morning to go for a ride - before anyone else is awake. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
05-26-2016, 11:10 AM
John,
Have you considered trying one of those cooling units? :dontknow:
For the way that the heat makes you suffer; it might just make a nice difference for you! :thumbup:

http://entrosys.com/

Cruzr Joe
05-26-2016, 11:13 AM
John,

NEXT time you do that, try riding fully naked - except for eye protection, of course. Be sure to use full-body sun screen.

...oh, and you should probably get up REAL early in the morning to go for a ride - before anyone else is awake. :thumbup:

Thanks Rob, now i have to go poke my eyes out.

Cruzr Joe

Bob Denman
05-26-2016, 11:14 AM
:shocked: While you're at it: please poke mine out also! :shocked:

It's time for the Stooges... :bowdown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScGPRsHSkaE&feature=player_detailpage

cuznjohn
05-26-2016, 11:18 AM
pleas also poke mine out also. i cover the mirror in the bathroom when i shower not to see me

IVSSpyder
05-26-2016, 11:21 AM
John,
Have you considered trying one of those cooling units? :dontknow:
For the way that the heat makes you suffer; it might just make a nice difference for you! :thumbup:

http://entrosys.com/

Thank you to our fans - we're sold out for 2016! We'll post here as soon as we have an expected availability date for 2017 and can begin taking orders.​

They only make and sell so many.

Check out http://www.veskimo.com/

BeRight
05-26-2016, 12:01 PM
I ride with mesh motorcycle jacket, perforated gloves, kevlar light denim pants, full face ventilated helmet and if humidity isn't high I wet a long sleeve tee shirt underneath jacket and wet a bandana for neck. I can put up with most anything for a 1 hour ride on Spyder before taking a refreshment/cool down break.

robertl
05-26-2016, 12:51 PM
I also find my mesh jacket cooler in most cases than without. It blocks the sun from the skin.

Some mesh jackets cool better than others. I had a Joe Rocket previously and now have a Bilt because it is one of the few in medium tall. It fits so much better and flows decent amount of air but definitely warmer when stopped.
I have a few Bilt heat out shirts and shorts I wear that help a lot when moving. Can get a tad warm off the bike moving around or sitting in traffic. Wetting the heat out gear and then riding will give you chills. The stuff does actually work.

Haven't found a solution for the 100+ degree temps coming off the pavement during the FL summers or the 80+% humidity, although the summer showers sometimes help a little and then make it worse...lol.

Chupaca
05-26-2016, 12:55 PM
I wear the heat out under garments and a light outter layer with modular helmet. works well as long as your moving..:thumbup:

Kwalsh
05-26-2016, 12:57 PM
gonna hit 88 today and i will ride with jacket and full face helmet, cant justify a mesh jacket for the 1 month its hot, dont mind when its below 85

2Paw
05-26-2016, 02:28 PM
pleas also poke mine out also. i cover the mirror in the bathroom when i shower not to see me

I haven't been able to see myself in a mirror for some time, every time I try some fat old man jumps between me and the mirror.;) I think my house is haunted.

Bob Denman
05-26-2016, 02:36 PM
:shocked: I must have bought the same mirror... :banghead:

Don't bother trying to return it to the store. They'll give you some hogwash about the fact that there's nothing wrong with it! :gaah:

dumbo
05-26-2016, 02:56 PM
I have a cooling vest from Cycle Gear only 50.00 or less. You wet the vest with water and ride for about three to for hours and do it all over again.
have had it for about five years now. It works well here I SUNNY FLORIDA.

Dumbo:thumbup:

BilltheDiver
05-26-2016, 03:05 PM
YOu might not like it here in Florida John. Most of us start to shiver around 80.

vampyregirl
05-26-2016, 03:23 PM
I have a mesh jacket and light weight gloves for hotter temps. I got home from work yesterday and my head was sweaty!!! Of course, that could be due to the black helmet.... :rolleyes: I've been looking for a white helmet---don't know if that will really matter though.

Bam Bam and Pebbles
05-26-2016, 03:41 PM
I know I am gonna hear some s@&t for this, but when its hot I ride in a tank top and shorts. I like the way the sun, breeze and heat feel on me when im riding around. Pebbles is the same way.
Feel sorry for ya Cuz. Medical problems getting in the way of how u can enjoy life is unfortunate. Hope you get things figured out.

Ron2andia
05-26-2016, 03:43 PM
There are mesh shirts with light armor in them.. Google it.. One company has the one from Speed and Strength for 40 dollars on clearance...

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
05-26-2016, 03:56 PM
I always try to ride full gear, i did get a cooling vest last year & it does help

ZENspyderman
05-26-2016, 04:13 PM
Hi there: I have a olympia motor sports AG 5, 3 into one mesh jacket.

Great in the late fall and the outer mesh is true flow thru mesh in the summer.

Fit is truly adjustable as well.

GOZFST
05-26-2016, 04:20 PM
Nylon mesh jackets may be the "hot" setup for summer riding, pun intended, but they DO NOT protect your hide in any form. Do a search on crashes with mesh jackets and see the results. Here's one https://www.google.com/search?q=motorcycle+crashes+wearing+mesh+jackets&rlz=1CASMAE_enUS527US527&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=655&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiyv_m-wfjMAhUYb1IKHdB8DtkQsAQIIw&dpr=1#imgrc=EqCruUAYaMOQwM%3A. Just saying we're all adults and make our own decisions, but the truth is nylon shreds or melts, better yet if you're ever in CA stop and see Wayne at Cycleport and have him show you the crashed jackets.

ARtraveler
05-26-2016, 04:29 PM
I ride with Kevlar jeans, mesh jacket, and fingerless gloves. It cuts down on the safety factor--but that is a choice that is mine.

If anything bad happens--I died doing something that I liked a whole lot. :thumbup:

cuznjohn
05-26-2016, 04:39 PM
i remember last year i went upstate to have some work done on the bike, and i stopped by bob d's work to meet him in person. riding up there in the morning it was cool out with a lot of fog. by the time i was done for the day, and started home, it got so hot out, that i thought i was going to pass out, and my skin felt like it was on fire. i had to make 3 stops coming home just to find shade, and even took my shoes off to cool off my feet. i hate the heat and the sun. all my friends ride fully protected and i just look at them and shake me head.

Bob Denman
05-26-2016, 04:48 PM
You definitely need t find a way to get some more cooling effect in your protective gear...
Those cooling vests might help a lot; you should look into them! :thumbup:
(Check with Al; I'm sure that he can help you find what you need...)

AZ Spyder
05-26-2016, 04:52 PM
If you hit asphalt on a day where it's 118 degrees, you melt like butter skimming across a griddle.

I wear heat out base layers from Cycle Gear and Iron Worker Kevlar Jeans and a Mesh Jacket. I wear a full face modular and put a wet Cool Wrap around my neck. I put a couple of frozen water bottles in my jacket pockets and drink them when I stop.

I grew up here so the heat is not an issue to me.

I ride a Silver 2008 GS SM5. Love it.:riding:

cuznjohn
05-26-2016, 04:56 PM
You definitely need t find a way to get some more cooling effect in your protective gear...
Those cooling vests might help a lot; you should look into them! :thumbup:
(Check with Al; I'm sure that he can help you find what you need...)

al is 93 pounds soaking wet, so he can't help me

Bob Denman
05-26-2016, 04:58 PM
Well; I agree what you wouldn't be able to wear HIS vest. :D

But he could give you a lot of useful information about them... :thumbup:

Mick N
05-26-2016, 05:41 PM
I feel like I'm the odd duck, to me summer is (actually anything over 70 degrees) T-shirt and jeans weather, and on the Spyder, tennis shoes or boots depending on the ryde... Will be 70 in August, maybe my blood will start thinning out then... 'course, I walk barefoot in the snow to go fetch the mail from the curbside mailbox in the winter months even when the temp is in the single digits. Must be my hillbilly blood.

cuznjohn
05-26-2016, 05:42 PM
see what you skinny people don't understand is, that us FULL FIGURED MEN have folds and creases of skin when we sit, so riding for long periods of time in the heat and sun with a cooling damp vest on, can cause mold in areas we don't want to mention

Bob Denman
05-26-2016, 05:45 PM
:shocked: Mold?

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=130995&stc=1

Highwayman2013
05-26-2016, 05:49 PM

Don't come to Vegas, 100's start next week.

SteveP
05-26-2016, 06:34 PM
I always wear Kevlar jeans , Rocket armoured jacket , motorcycle boots and gloves . The jacket with the liner removed is not bad when you are moving. I have a Jarrow modular helmet and also a half helmet with shield ( that's my one vice when real hot ) :riding:💨

Bam Bam and Pebbles
05-26-2016, 07:11 PM
I ride with Kevlar jeans, mesh jacket, and fingerless gloves. It cuts down on the safety factor--but that is a choice that is mine.

If anything bad happens--I died doing something that I liked a whole lot. :thumbup:

I feel the same way but I obviously wear less. I know I am sacrificing safety, but one of the reasons I got a Spyder is because I dont have to worry about dumping the bike because I hit a squirrell or a cat. Or having someone cut me off and I had to do extreme avoidance moves. I have had to do all kinds of stuff in the year and a half I have ridden my bike, and I havent even come close to needing all kinds of protective gear. Ill take my chances. Ive had a great time on this earth and if I go now, at least I know I have lived on my terms. You pay your money and you take your chances.

Lucky
05-26-2016, 07:17 PM
I wear a microfiber shirt, evaporative cooling vest and a Tourmaster armored mesh jacket. I'm and old fat guy and rode my super hot Harley from Wisconsin to Monterrey Mexico in August. It's not pretty but it works.

Bam Bam and Pebbles
05-26-2016, 07:46 PM
Ya know, I just looked at my previous post and man, do I sound a bit heavy handed on it. Wear what u want to, or feel comfortable with and have a good time. Thats what its all about. (Cue Bob and a hokey pokey link)

bmccaffrey
05-26-2016, 08:13 PM
Ya know, I just looked at my previous post and man, do I sound a bit heavy handed on it. Wear what u want to, or feel comfortable with and have a good time. Thats what iits all about. (Cue Bob and a hokey pokey link)

I AGREE!!

SpyderAnn01
05-26-2016, 09:04 PM
I ride with a jacket in 100+ temps. It is cooler than having your skin exposed.

oldguyinTX
05-26-2016, 09:38 PM
see what you skinny people don't understand is, that us FULL FIGURED MEN have folds and creases of skin when we sit, so riding for long periods of time in the heat and sun with a cooling damp vest on, can cause mold in areas we don't want to mention

Well, Cuz, my belly is pretty darn big (Actually a Very drunk woman recently asked me if I was pregnant - long story) so I get it. Having said that, I rode today here in Western CT, it was 89 degrees. Temp on the dashboard went up to !00 degrees in slow traffic on the Post Road (US 1) Wore the helmet, and my Speed & Strength textile jacket wit h a T shirt underneath. Pretty warm, but based on experience, I "dress for the slide, not for the ryde". I'd rather be hot than having - again- small pieces of asphalt picked out of my back.

robertl
05-26-2016, 09:53 PM
I agree, wear what you want, just no whining about road rash.

A kid i work with wouldn't buy any gear so when i got a new jacket i gave him my old joe rocket mesh. He laid his bike down a few months later wearing a full helmet, mesh jacket, jeans and running shoes. rash to the bone on hands, legs and feet. He count not work/type for 2 or 3 months. Jeans and running shoes fell apart. Jacket saved his arms, elbows, shoulder, and back. $20-30 pair of glovesprobably would have saved his hands.

Mesh won't survive a crash but they do help reduce the injuries. Helps block the sun too.
Mine was 99 and i had an extra ce back pad i trimmed to fit it.
I have a mesh leather jacket too but over 80 degrees it is hot plus heavy.

Saw on the local news yesterday that fatal motorcycle accidents are up 28% since Florida dropped the helmet law. There was 1 a few miles from my house on I4 today. Each is his own though.

I really enjoy the frunk storage to hold my gear and spare shirt so i dont smell going in for lunch or dinner.

Some of the newer helmets have really improved air flow. I can feel the air across my head inside my full face helmet. It also blocks the sun so there are times i am cooler with it on than off.

sandeejs
05-26-2016, 10:02 PM
Several years ago me and the girl posse rode to Sturgis (after the big event). It got hot, 100 degrees. We used those neck coolers, and light colored long sleeve shirts. At Wall Drug, they had a sprinkler for the kids, but I hopped right in. Scandalized a few young 'uns.
~Sandee~

ThreeWheels
05-26-2016, 10:51 PM
I have a cooling vest from Cycle Gear only 50.00 or less. You wet the vest with water and ride for about three to for hours and do it all over again.
have had it for about five years now. It works well here I SUNNY FLORIDA.

Dumbo:thumbup:

I agree. Probably the most practical solution available.

Lew L
05-26-2016, 11:42 PM
Mesh jacket,cooling vest,vented windshield. Never gets hot here in Nevada.

Heat stroke causes:

Kaos

PistonBlown
05-27-2016, 04:03 AM
Mean while in New Zealand....:-)
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=131011&stc=1

Buckeye Bleau
05-27-2016, 07:01 AM
I ride with mesh motorcycle jacket, perforated gloves, kevlar light denim pants, full face ventilated helmet and if humidity isn't high I wet a long sleeve tee shirt underneath jacket and wet a bandana for neck. I can put up with most anything for a 1 hour ride on Spyder before taking a refreshment/cool down break.

Where do you get the jeans?

robertl
05-27-2016, 07:08 AM
Where do you get the jeans?

Cyclegear, Revzilla, etc. They range from $80 on up to $500. http://www.cyclegear.com/BILT-IRON-WORKERS-Steel-Motorcycle-Jeans

Read the reviews though. Some fit differently than regular jeans so definitely need to try them on locally or buy from somewhere that has a good exchange policy.

Bob Denman
05-27-2016, 07:13 AM
I use the ones from Diamond Gusset. :thumbup:
They're soft, comfortable, fit well, and actually look pretty good! :D
(Even with me in them! :roflblack:)

cuznjohn
05-27-2016, 07:15 AM
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13267869_10153787299611225_7939602970724283370_n.j pg?oh=3cfd1d5396ee12f8ae545cf09302ade6&oe=57D0AC90

Bob Denman
05-27-2016, 07:26 AM
:clap:
It's too bad that heat doesn't quite work the same, on ALL of the body parts... :shocked:

John,
This has been bothering me, so I've put some thought to it.
Do you ever ride with a denim or leather vest?
Try having some pouches sewn into the front, sides, and back, and then put freezer packs into them...

cuznjohn
05-27-2016, 07:47 AM
if it is that hot, i either go out real early or not at all

JerryKaren
05-27-2016, 08:47 AM
In North Carolina where it does get hot, my wife and I use "frogg toggs" around our necks..very cooling.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
05-27-2016, 09:03 AM
al is 93 pounds soaking wet, so he can't help me

First off cuzn' i'm 151 lbs. soaking wet, second i won't let heat bother me it's all in the mind. next time i see
you at obi i will have the seat thingy you gave me & probably have the cooling vest for the ride home. now lastly
lose another 100lbs, you are well on your way from when i last saw you.

jaherbst
05-27-2016, 09:36 AM
John, all of us here in the Great Sonoran Desert have to chuckle when heat is mentioned. Not uncommon

in June, July and August to have temps at 117-120* We ride early at daybreak, wear Frog Tog neck

wraps (soaked in water) and a Soaker Vest with a Mesh Jacket. The rapid evaporation in this dry heat

(humidity !0-15%) and air moving past you makes for rapid evaporation, which of course causes super

cooling. These methods do not work as well where the humidity is high. Daybreak till 1:00-2:00 PM is a

pretty good riding time here. 8-9 hours of riding, checkin at at your favorite motel, hang out at the

pool,

watch the Mermaids and go to bed very early. Yep it works for most of us here in the great Southwest. :D

BTW how is the diet and CPAP coming John?

Jack

cognaccruiser
05-27-2016, 09:48 AM
Have to agree that riding with mesh jackets, and basically ATGATT, is better than ryding with Tshirt etc. Helps keep the sun off and reduces dehydration. Done it both ways in 100+ F temperatures and find wearing jackets etc better.

I appreciate that some folks are bothered more by the heat and especially with certain medications, it can be more uncomfortable.

Gary

Johnny_Swindle
05-27-2016, 11:05 AM
This product is based on the same principle as Bob has described:

http://www.ezcooldown.com/ezcooldown-complete-performers-pcm-vest.html

I just purchased a pair of them and have not had a chance to try them out. I will report to SL if any body is interested.

I considered one of the vests that you soak in water, but decided against.

:clap:
It's too bad that heat doesn't quite work the same, on ALL of the body parts... :shocked:

John,
This has been bothering me, so I've put some thought to it.
Do you ever ride with a denim or leather vest?
Try having some pouches sewn into the front, sides, and back, and then put freezer packs into them...

Bob Denman
05-27-2016, 11:11 AM
:2thumbs: When you've had the chance to give it a good test; we'd love to hear your impressions... nojoke
Thanks!

WA5VHU
05-27-2016, 01:29 PM
John, don't know if it will help you but I put a small fan on both our Spyders. These are little 12 volt fans that really scream and put out a lot of air, made for computer server racks. They put out a fairly tight column of air similar to the vacuum cleaners with their hose hooked up to the blow hole, holding a beach ball up in the air. Do they still do that in stores anymore?

Since the below picture I have mounted our fans inside a piece of aluminum square tubing I had, along with a RAM mount ball. When in stop & go traffic I unzip my mesh jacket slightly and raise my helmet shield and direct the air to my chest/chin area. It gives some extra relief when stopped or going slow but does nothing when moving at normal speeds.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Y2205-Dell-Poweredge-1850-San-Ace-40-Server-Cooling-Fan-assembly-/111652391516?hash=item19ff004a5c:g:plEAAOSwNSxVNsI B

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=131038&stc=1

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=131039&stc=1

Bob Denman
05-27-2016, 01:33 PM
;) "Necessity is the Mother of Invention"...

:D ...And some really COOL innovations!! :clap: :2thumbs:

DDT
05-27-2016, 06:08 PM
John, don't know if it will help you but I put a small fan on both our Spyders. These are little 12 volt fans that really scream and put out a lot of air, made for computer server racks. They put out a fairly tight column of air similar to the vacuum cleaners with their hose hooked up to the blow hole, holding a beach ball up in the air. Do they still do that in stores anymore?

Since the below picture I have mounted our fans inside a piece of aluminum square tubing I had, along with a RAM mount ball. When in stop & go traffic I unzip my mesh jacket slightly and raise my helmet shield and direct the air to my chest/chin area. It gives some extra relief when stopped or going slow but does nothing when moving at normal speeds.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Y2205-Dell-Poweredge-1850-San-Ace-40-Server-Cooling-Fan-assembly-/111652391516?hash=item19ff004a5c:g:plEAAOSwNSxVNsI B

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=131038&stc=1

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=131039&stc=1
How did you get the RAM mount to attach to the handle bar?

wyliec
05-27-2016, 06:23 PM
How did you get the RAM mount to attach to the handle bar?

http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-strap-rail-base-with-1-inch-ball.html

WA5VHU
05-27-2016, 06:49 PM
http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-strap-rail-base-with-1-inch-ball.html

Yep, that's it, thanks Wyliec!

Eagle1
05-27-2016, 07:04 PM
Hi, we live in Florida with 90f, and we have the kwel vests that work great in hot days!! We are taking long ryde tomorrow and will use them!