PDA

View Full Version : Digital Display 2015 RT-S problem Darkening display.

Fjrwillie
05-23-2016, 02:43 PM
Took a 4700 mile journey this past 2 weeks. We are from Mass and rode in 3 days of rain off and on until we got to Greensboro, NC. While leaving Charleston SC I noticed the Digital Display seemed to be darker than normal and continued to darken. It did clear itself up after a few hours and did not effect our travels. The first time it got so dark, you really couldn't read the MPH indicator. This happened a couple more times. Didn't effect the nighttime black and orange version. Happened multiple times.

The digital display now seems to have a ever so slightly darker shade on top, then a band of what I remember to be what it looked like and then the display below this band seems to match the upper side of the band. For the life of me I can't remember what it looked like before this started. With that said, I am pretty sure there was not a noticeable lighter band across the display. [begin update] looking at the manual and the digital display, it does have a band, so that appears to be the norm [end update]

I did not seem to have any other electrical problems, such as dim or flickering lights. No misses in the engines, matter of fact it ran like a charm. No problems starting the bike. I have to say the temperatures and humidity soared while were in Charleston SC and crossing GA, into AL. Temps hit over 100 and the humidity was right there with it. Almost seem like the digital display was effected by moisture. I run Garmin Nuvi 1490's and have gotten them soaked in the weather, which caused moisture problem on the screen and they seem to burn off the moisture in regular weather and return to normal.

Before I go to the dealer with this just wondering if anyone else has experienced this on theirs Spyder and thoughts / comments appreciated. Purchased the Spyder in August of 2015, so I would assume this will be covered by warranty.

The RT-S now has 10200+ miles on it.

Willie

jtoro1
05-23-2016, 02:46 PM
Took a 4700 mile journey this past 2 weeks. We are from Mass and rode in 3 days of rain off and on until we got to Greensboro, NC. While leaving Charleston SC I noticed the Digital Display seemed to be darker than normal and continued to darken. It did clear itself up after a few hours and did not effect our travels. The first time it got so dark, you really couldn't read the MPH indicator. This happened a couple more times. Didn't effect the nighttime black and orange version. Happened multiple times.

The digital display now seems to have a ever so slightly darker shade on top, then a band of what I remember to be what it looked like and then the display below this band seems to match the upper side of the band. For the life of me I can't remember what it looked like before this started. With that said, I am pretty sure there was not a noticeable lighter band across the display.

I did not seem to have any other electrical problems, such as dim or flickering lights. No misses in the engines, matter of fact it ran like a charm. No problems starting the bike. I have to say the temperatures and humidity soared while were in Charleston SC and crossing GA, into AL. Temps hit over 100 and the humidity was right there with it. Almost seem like the digital display was effected by moisture. I run Garmin Nuvi 1490's and have gotten them soaked in the weather, which caused moisture problem on the screen and they seem to burn off the moisture in regular weather and return to normal.

Before I go to the dealer with this just wondering if anyone else has experienced this on theirs Spyder and thoughts / comments appreciated. Purchased the Spyder in August of 2015, so I would assume this will be covered by warranty.

Willie

The RT-S now has 10200+ miles on it.

Mine has done that when it is very hot riding outside

PMK
05-23-2016, 03:00 PM
I have not noticed that on our Spyder, but will say that I have had bicycle computers go "black" on the display with high outside temps.

Could be a display failing, but that creates its own issue since the dealer can not reset the mileage to match the unit being replaced.

You have a lot of warranty left, see what happens and if needed maybe it can be done at the end of your riding season unless you have a great dealer that will get you in and out quickly.

Bob Denman
05-23-2016, 05:02 PM
:agree: This sounds just like a "See your Dealer about it", sort of issue. :shocked:
Good luck! :thumbup: