PDA

View Full Version : built like a tank!

nickcaro
03-07-2009, 09:27 PM
Well, it was just a matter of time and I'm happy to have made it through another one. Spend enough time on the road like I do, and eventually it will happen.

Sitting at a red light Friday night I got plowed from behind by a distracted driver. Thanks to many factors in my favor, I was still able to ride home.

I'm a paranoid person and I'm sure years of drug use in my youth helped contribute to that. I'm constantly looking to see what everyone is doing around me and I take great pride in seeing the **** as its coming. Friday night sitting at a red light, I suddenly heard screeching tires behind me. Looked down to my right mirror and was horrified to see the headlights just coming at me like a missile.

As part of my paranoia, I always leave large areas in front and around me in case I need to get away and now I'm faced with that exact situation. In a split hair of a second I scan and realize that I only have about 15 feet in front of me to the next car and cant go anywhere left or right, so I knew I was going to get popped... at the last moment I looked back in my mirror, and decided to just lurch forward with the hit and hopefully not get sandwiched with the car in front.

The hit was much stronger than I expected and when everything stopped I was feeling pretty good to still be on the Spyder and not somewhere else. Although my back and neck are very sore today from the thrust, I'm ok.

The Spyder took the hit square on the back tire and left a strong imprint on the bumper of a Toyota. White paint from the bumper was clearly on my tire and spread over more than half of the tire showing that my tire was spinning while we made contact. Other than that, its all good.

I'm very happy about modding my rear fender as my tire worked like a large bumper. If the stock fender was in place It would have been ugly. I can imagine it being pushed in to the tire, brackets being busted..etc..

The car left a skid mark that was close to 20 yards long and I came to a stop about 10 feet in front of her. It was just amazing. Even the police were amazed and had me sit down as they looked me over with a flashlight.

After the cops filled out the paperwork I was able to ride home.
Shaken up, sore and filled with awe at how I was just able to ride away from that.

RoHo
03-07-2009, 09:34 PM
:yikes: WOW! :yikes:

Glad to hear you are OK Nick! That's really amazing. Hope you don't have any post-trauma conditions develope. :sour:

ataDude
03-07-2009, 09:38 PM
Good job... glad you're reasonably OK.

Moral of story... always leave in gear with clutch in when stopped... ready to move!

effgjamis
03-07-2009, 09:46 PM
Some one was looking over you..

gjco
03-07-2009, 09:54 PM

Moral of story... always leave in gear with clutch in when stopped... ready to move!

This is the best advise. I also was taught this when I learned to ride. Always know you escape routes.

LDFIREWORKS
03-07-2009, 09:57 PM
glad all is well:thumbup::thumbup:

NancysToy
03-07-2009, 10:02 PM
Glad you are OK, Nick! Harrowing escape, but you probably would have been laying on the ground under the bumper on a bike. Scary stuff! The sore parts go away in a while...broken stuff lingers longer. Hope you heal quickly.
-Scotty

retread
03-07-2009, 10:36 PM
Glad you're okay, might not be a bad idea to have the Spyder checked out, swing arm, wheel, frame and bearings could have been damaged. You've got a good Guardian Angel.

john

tatt2r
03-07-2009, 10:48 PM
give me a call at work tomorrow glad your ok

magnum
03-07-2009, 11:04 PM
Glad your alright, I kinda do the samething keep a gap because pepole do get distracted easily.:dontknow:

DocSporseen
03-08-2009, 12:15 AM
Glad to hear that you made it out in one, unscathed, piece. Looks like your guardian angel managed to keep up with you. Like they say, never ride faster than your angel can fly.

On a medical note, though (Sorry, it's my job), I'd still suggest getting checked out by your doctor as soon as you can get in. You can still have injuries and not know about them until they get nasty (i.e. my brother in law breaking his first cervical vertebrae in a rear-ender...docs never looked at it on the x-ray since nobody survives them. He did, though...weird...).

Anyhow, hope there wasn't any lasting damage to you or your ride.

babyanlee
03-08-2009, 07:10 AM
Glad your OK Nick. Your Angel was with you.:doorag:

cousin
03-08-2009, 07:20 AM
Glady your okay our higher power was on your side!! that night:thumbup: some one should be buying you a new :spyder2: I would think so! hope you feel better soon

Desert Spyder
03-08-2009, 07:24 AM
Glad you're OK. Do you happen to have a Spirit Bell on your bike?

Roaddog2
03-08-2009, 07:53 AM
Glad your O.K. Nick but at least hit the Toyota people up for new :spyder:swingarm / axle and frame should be checked ASAP :yikes:

tomwom
03-08-2009, 09:32 AM
:spyder2:Bummer, Some times we can't prevent it from happening. You are rite to allways keep that safety zone around when possable.:agree:

smokster
03-08-2009, 11:15 AM
Glad to hear you are ok.
Get well soon !

ataDude
03-08-2009, 11:23 AM
I agree with checking the swing arm and, particularly its bearings, out. The accident could have very easily damaged either.

And, again, get yourself checked out!

pitmon
03-08-2009, 05:27 PM
Glad to hear u are ok Nick. Get yourself checked out as well as your spyder... sometimes things don't show up for a few days, sometimes even weeks. Just be careful out there...:2thumbs:

max continuous
03-08-2009, 05:40 PM
Glad you're o.k. Nick.
But I gotta ask...what's a spirit bell?
Max

GA-SPYDER
03-08-2009, 06:16 PM

:agree::thumbup:

Smylinacha
03-08-2009, 09:20 PM
Glad you are okay! I think it's great that the paranoia takes over - smart of you to leave some room in front of you and very smart of you to be checking those mirrors! And you stayed on the :f_spider: and rode it home - now I think the Big Man Upstairs was watching you!