PDA

View Full Version : Almost made it 3 weeks

AMTJIM
03-07-2009, 09:54 AM
Well, I almost made it 3 weeks. I got off work and went to the bank. Then on the way home I just happen to glance down and the all the warning lights were lit up, and the engine was blinking...ABS FAULT was on the screen at the time. The bike was still running so I think it happened just as I looked down and ABS FAULT seemed suspended in time. Then the messages started scrolling...VSS FAULT...EBD FAULT...CHECK DPS...LIMP HOME MODE...engine cuts out. Suddenly I find myself doing 45 and farting amid 75 mph traffic. Hazards...sholder...exit...U-Turn...backroads to dealer. Popped the seat, rear resevoir full, front resevoir below the level. Told the service guy, he took it to the back, filled it, turned on the bike...A OKAY. Cleared the history via buds and I'm outta there.:thumbup:

M2Wild
03-07-2009, 10:01 AM
Man-o-man .... xmas tree effect on the instrement panel is never a good thing. Only time that happened to me on my 2 wheeler and cars is when the battery is weak or on its last leg. You have a brand new battery in there?

bone crusher
03-07-2009, 10:29 AM
Good luck! Sorry to hear about all the difficulties you've had...hopefully you'll be able to enjoy the bike from here on out!

Recluze
03-07-2009, 12:43 PM
Don't you wonder where all of that brake fluid went? I have a bunch of miles on mine and have never loss ANY brake fluid nor would I expect to.

I don't want to harsh your mellow but I think you may have a deeper problem.

AMTJIM
03-07-2009, 04:04 PM
Don't you wonder where all of that brake fluid went? I have a bunch of miles on mine and have never loss ANY brake fluid nor would I expect to.

I don't want to harsh your mellow but I think you may have a deeper problem.
I have thought about it...I have no stains or drips or pools anywhere. I am going to watch it, but they did put the brake unit through a bleed process when the initial problem occured and my not have re-filled the resevoir. I remember several people in here saying there low resevoir caused this problem, they found no leak. There was still alot of fluid in it, it was just below the min line.

spyryder
03-07-2009, 04:09 PM
I have thought about it...I have no stains or drips or pools anywhere. I am going to watch it, but they did put the brake unit through a bleed process when the initial problem occured and my not have re-filled the resevoir. I remember several people in here saying there low resevoir caused this problem, they found no leak. There was still alot of fluid in it, it was just below the min line.
Fluid level should go down as pads wear.....how many miles have you got so far?

AMTJIM
03-07-2009, 04:19 PM
Fluid level should go down as pads wear.....how many miles have you got so far?
That's also true, I am at 7400. I think the tech was sort of admitting they didn't re-service the resevoir after bleeding the brake system. The very first time, they changed a VOM...the problem after the 6K service 3~4 weeks ago, they bled the VOM. They forgot to re-service, maybe both times.

NancysToy
03-07-2009, 06:08 PM
It still bothers me that you do not get a straight message, just that cascading line of garbage. I still think there may be a bad computer, or serious noise or a short somewhere in the electrical system. A brake fault should cause an ABS fault, and probably an EBD fault, and put it in Limp Mode, for sure. I suppose that could also affect the VSS, by rendering part of it inoperable, but the steering too? At very least this is confusing for the poor rider. Hasn't BRP ever heard the phrase "Too much information"? I guess all you can do is hold your breath until you have gone long enough to be comfortable with it again.
-Scotty

AMTJIM
03-07-2009, 06:32 PM
It still bothers me that you do not get a straight message, just that cascading line of garbage. I still think there may be a bad computer, or serious noise or a short somewhere in the electrical system. A brake fault should cause an ABS fault, and probably an EBD fault, and put it in Limp Mode, for sure. I suppose that could also affect the VSS, by rendering part of it inoperable, but the steering too? At very least this is confusing for the poor rider. Hasn't BRP ever heard the phrase "Too much information"? I guess all you can do is hold your breath until you have gone long enough to be comfortable with it again.
-Scotty
I have a feeling it was hovering on going bad, like I said...when they serviced it cleared itself. He just used BUDS after to clear the incident. I did sign a service report, so it is on record. As for the scrolling message, I think most systems are given time delays so it doesn't trip everything everytime there is a spark of noise or parody error or the like. It's probably part of the logics flow chart. OK...ABS is definitely fault...if ABS is Fault then VSS is not able to function properly...VSS fault. If VSS is fault then EBD can't function properly...EBD fault...ect. OK well if all these are now unavailable, then LIMP MODE.