PDA

View Full Version : Greetings!

DocSporseen
03-07-2009, 01:20 AM
I just thought I'd introduce myself, since I'll be trolling round on here for a while. I'm a Corpsman in the Navy (20 years and counting), working at my last duty station here in sunny Camp Pendleton. I'm currently preparing to buy a Spyder in June or July due to a rather nasty injury I suffered on my V-Strom in January. (Shattered my left tibial head where it becomes part of the knee in a low-speed accident where the bike managed to impact my knee). I'm currently in physical therapy trying to regain the use of the leg (i.e. manage to walk again in May or June...hopefully), and since I may or may not be able to hold a bike up once it's "healed", I'm thinking a Spyder is my best bet.

Looking around, it seems there's a lot of good information floating around here, and despite some issues that it looks like people have had with the earlier years, it seems like this is gonna be a pretty sure thing. Hopefully the '09's have had the bugs worked out. I'll most likely be getting the "automatic" version (Again, possible left leg issues), and I'm already hunting down what y'all have done to them to personalize your rides.

Anyhow, hope everyone is gonna have a great weekend, and I'm looking forward to joining you on the road.

GI Jane
03-07-2009, 05:45 AM
welcome In June I'll have 32 years in the Army Reserve and still going strong. You'll love the :f_spider:. I've got an 08 SE5 and am very happy with it. Good luck with your PT and great to have you aboard and part of our :spyder2: family.

cousin
03-07-2009, 06:29 AM
welcomewish you a speedie recovery DOC!:thumbup: THANK YOU for your service to our country:2thumbs: I too served 26 yrs. in ARMY ENGINEERS RES.(HOAA!!):D the :spyder:lovers here are too cool!! I:bowdown: to the info. they can give to us. I'am hoping to pick up a 20009 sm5 moon color :spyder2: in 6hr.42min. 44sec.:yes::yes::yes::2excited::2thumbs::)

effgjamis
03-07-2009, 06:42 AM
fast recovery.. and welcome aboard the spyder family. :spyder2:

NancysToy
03-07-2009, 07:28 AM
Welcome! Wishing you a full recovery, and very soon. We know what you are going through. Nancy suffered a tibeal plateau fracture several years back. Shattered the bone through the tibeal head into twelve lengthwise pieces! Took her a long while to get back on her feet, and longer yet to lose the cane, but she is doing far better than the doctor ever imagined. At the time of her first surgery, he figured she only had a 50-50 chance of keeping the leg. Good news is she rides a Spyder now! You can, too. Work hard at your PT, and exercise faithfully. These injuries can be overcome.
-Scotty

Sara
03-07-2009, 08:10 AM
The Spyder is a great machine, and particularly for those who need stability and less complicated mechanics---the electric shift is great, and with that and a good forward foot peg for your left leg, your'll be set for some nice riding. You hear about a lot of shifting problems with "thumb shifting," but my red and black SE5 is terriffic----Get one, Doc, and fly with the rest of them. Get well----SSSS

Roaddog2
03-07-2009, 08:16 AM
:2thumbs:welcome:congrats::2thumbs:

MSGTDOC
03-07-2009, 08:20 AM
DOC
I'M AN OLD CORPSMAN AND RETIRED FROM AIR FORCE RESERVE. GO FOR IT. I WRECKED MY HARLEY AND SHATTERED MY RIGHT KNEE. COULDN'T HOLD UP THE HARLEY ANYMORE SO I TRADED IT FOR A SPYDER. NEVER LOOKED BACK. I WAS OUT YESTERDAY AND MAN THIS THING IS A BLAST. HEAL FAST AND SEE YOU ON THE ROAD. TRAILING WINDS DOC

tomwom
03-07-2009, 08:23 AM
:spyder2:Come on along and enjoy the Fun . See you down the road.:spyder2::yes:

bjt
03-07-2009, 08:38 AM
Welcome to SpyderLovers DocSporseen. http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Happy/hi-103.gif

Big Arm
03-07-2009, 08:50 AM
welcome Hi Doc, Welcome aboard and hope to see you around here often. A lot of good information can be found on this site. Hope your recovery goes well for you. :thumbup:

Big Arm
03-07-2009, 08:53 AM
:yes:I JUST BECAME A SENIOR :yes:
but I already had an aarp card

M2Wild
03-07-2009, 09:05 AM
welcome and get better soon.

jimclarkf1
03-07-2009, 09:10 AM
WELCOME TO THE:spyder: FAMILY DOC, and THANK you for your service. dont over do your rehab. it will take time. I broke my right thigh in 7 places.back in 71, took almost a year. now i have a slight limp, and a :spyder: so life is good :thumbup:

dltang
03-07-2009, 09:39 AM
welcome:clap:

northramp
03-07-2009, 10:03 AM
Welcome Doc.. You will find this to be a great site with great information and great people..
Turning up to 60deg. here today so first time to get my SE 5 out on the real streets!!

Ride safe

Northrampwelcomewelcome:yes::yes:

hawkiii
03-07-2009, 10:10 AM
welcome keep at the PT and we'll see you on the road when you are ready!

SSG Bean
03-07-2009, 10:26 AM
It's good to have another service member on here. I know there are plenty of us on here already that are either still active or retired. I'm an Army Medical Corps guy; a 68K Clinical Lab Tech.welcome

bone crusher
03-07-2009, 10:27 AM
Wife is army doctor... welcome

retread
03-07-2009, 11:03 AM
welcome once Spyder bitten, it only gets better. Welcome!

john

aka1004
03-07-2009, 11:25 AM
welcome
Warning: :spyder2: can be very addictive
will empty your wallet with mods, take most of your free time :D

pitmon
03-07-2009, 07:15 PM
Welcome aboard! The spyder is a lot of fun and I think you will enjoy it... but like they said.. be prepared to put out $$ for more stuff to go on it! Seems like we never get enough stuff!welcome:yes:

gjco
03-07-2009, 08:48 PM
With and brother and now a son in law (as of Thursday) in the Navy my wife and I just wanted to say thanks for your service.

FANG
03-07-2009, 09:16 PM
Former Corpsman here too. The :spyder2: is a great ryde - I am a disabled vet and I know I would have problems with the weight of a 2-wheeler. The :spyder2: is the answer to prayers. Go for it and enjoy the ryde welcome.

LDFIREWORKS
03-07-2009, 09:59 PM
:2thumbs::spyder2:welcome:spyder2:

8LEGS
03-07-2009, 11:12 PM
:2thumbs:welcome:2thumbs:

babyanlee
03-10-2009, 11:10 AM
Get well soon so you can get your :spyder: welcome 22 years USN & USNR - Fair Winds and Following Seas. We'll see you on the road :thumbup:

Star Cruiser
03-10-2009, 11:55 PM
Welcome to the asylum.....you already know you are gonna love it , but I'll just vouch for it.

pzim
03-11-2009, 02:36 AM
welcome:congrats:

DocSporseen
03-12-2009, 10:06 AM
Just thought I'd pop in and follow-up. I saw my orthopaedist a couple of days ago. An hour drive each way, an hour wait for a five minute appointment. All that so the doctor could tell me I couldn't walk for another six weeks...homicide was a viable option... Add to all that, I've been on narcotics for nearly two months and we decided I could just switch to anti-inflamatories for pain control. This is the first time I've gone through withdrawals. I am not amused.

Okay, enough whining. At least I'm back at work, almost all of my care is right across the street from where I'm staying, and I still own my leg. It could be a whole lot worse. Hopefully in May or June my leg will be ready to hop on a Spyder for a good test-drive. Pick up an SE-5 and get back on the road with you guys! Take it easy, and I'll talk to y'all later on!

ataDude
03-12-2009, 10:34 AM
welcome and good luck on the knee and the new (to come) Spyder!

Your knee sounds like mine... does it look something like this... Yamaha accident in 1987?
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?pictureid=435&albumid=19&dl=1234032579&thumb=1

Just thought I'd pop in and follow-up. I saw my orthopaedist a couple of days ago. An hour drive each way, an hour wait for a five minute appointment. All that so the doctor could tell me I couldn't walk for another six weeks...homicide was a viable option... Add to all that, I've been on narcotics for nearly two months and we decided I could just switch to anti-inflamatories for pain control. This is the first time I've gone through withdrawals. I am not amused.

Okay, enough whining. At least I'm back at work, almost all of my care is right across the street from where I'm staying, and I still own my leg. It could be a whole lot worse. Hopefully in May or June my leg will be ready to hop on a Spyder for a good test-drive. Pick up an SE-5 and get back on the road with you guys! Take it easy, and I'll talk to y'all later on!

SpyderByter
03-12-2009, 01:07 PM
welcome

VossHog
03-12-2009, 02:23 PM
Doc,

Glad things are looking up. Thanks for your service.

pastorchuck
03-12-2009, 09:26 PM
Prayin' for you, Doc, and thanks for your service. Hope to ryde with you someday!