PDA

View Full Version : Backrest, Seat Skin, and Paint Next...

SSG Bean
03-06-2009, 09:00 PM
I just finished another couple of easy mods. I bought one of the backrests from ebay made by Mel's Monster Garage. I know several of you had concerns about it being weak, but after giving it a test yank or two, I can tell you it is plenty rigid. Besides, my wife doesn't weigh much at all, so I think we're safe. The other addition was the BRP seat skin. Not a difficult item to install, and looks awesome in my opinion. I also went to Tallant's Hot Rods in KC( http://www.tallantsauto.net/ ) and got an estimate for paint, so that will be done in the next few weeks. I'll attach a couple of pics of the backrest - including the brackets- and the seat skin. I'm pretty pleased.:D

Spydr in KS
03-06-2009, 11:04 PM
Looks good. Glad to hear you like the MMG back rest. Looking forward to more photos and details. Does it sit far enough forward to touch your back, or it more just the security of knowing it is there?

SSG Bean
03-07-2009, 10:08 AM
It's there for security mainly, since all 105lbs of my wife usually leans against me. However, I did ask her and she said she only has to scoot back and lean back slightly and it is usable. Our intent for getting it was to keep her on the spyder when I decided to goose it. I'd rather not litter the road with my wife.:dontknow::yikes:

Major Finder
03-07-2009, 02:34 PM
I can't wait to see your new paint job when you ryde on Ft. Leavenworth. My wife loves the extra support of a back rest, too, especially, when I have to goose the throttle because of traffic conditions or when I get that uncontrollable urge to just GO faster. I mounted the Corbin seats and backrest just because I was never sure my wife was still back there. She felt very comfortable with the stock seat and the grab bars but the back rest sure adds some security.

I got off duty early Friday, travelled back home to Lincoln, Nebraska, and rode 70 + miles alone, came back, picked up the wife, and rode another slug of miles just enjoying the good weather and opportunity to ride. My son accompanied us on his motorcycle and it was a blast. I put another 70 miles on the Spyder again this morning in 41 degrees and drizzle. Loved it. Life is good!