PDA

View Full Version : F3T Impressions after 2 1/2 weeks

PrairieSpyder
05-10-2016, 06:11 PM
It's been two and a half weeks since I acquired my F3T from Pitbull on April 25. Most of my ryding the week of SpyderFest was around three points: Pitbull's, BW Coach House and Vendor Village. New machine, gotta frarkle, you know. :ohyea: Then it was 300 miles to home. Since then I've been trying to average 20-30 miles per day. I've missed the last few days because of thunderstorms, but I plan to do a long ryde tomorrow. I want to approach 2,000 miles and get the initial service done at Pitbull before I go to the three-wheel rally in Deadwood in July.

I've been trying to think of a name for my red beast. I have two ideas:

FARKLE, since it is just one big farkle
OOMF - "Object Of My Farkling"

So what's good and what's not?

Pros:

Boy is this machine peppy! Fred was following me home with his 1330 RT, and said he couldn't catch up after we entered the turnpike. (I thought he was just falling back on purpose because he doesn't to follow too close.) But I didn't have a trailer and the F3 is 20% lighter to begin with. But I am convinced it would shut down an RT anyway.
I still love the long and low profile it gives with the rear fender and side bags.
I can put my modular helmet into the frunk and close it . . barely.
Trailer hitch-able!
No problem adapting to the forward control ryding position. I'm glad I added the floorboards, though.
Head-buffeting - jury's still out. I'm in Kansas and it's hard to find a calm day to really get a good reading on this. I rode to Topeka and back the other day and had lots of buffeting because there was a direct cross-wind. But, so far, I haven't noticed much when I'm going into the wind. When F4 comes out with their new windshield, I may wait to see how it works for other folks. By Spyderfest '17, I'll know better.

Cons:

uuummmmmm. . . . eeeerrrrr . . . . I'm still thinking.
Oh, yeah. Less storage space. The side bags aren't as big as they look, but I've been slowly learning how to pack less. And I can pull a trailer if I want, since I have a hitch. See #4, above.
Jury's still out on head-buffeting. See #6, above.

If I think of anything else, I'll post it to this thread.

Now I have to update my signature here and get get a new pic of it.

Bob Denman
05-10-2016, 06:20 PM
"OOMF"? I LIKE it!! :clap: :thumbup:

I'm so glad to hear that you're digging the new ride; it sure is a Beauty!! :firstplace:
Buffeting: I've seen some attachments to windshields that are supposed to smooth out the airflow... Let me see what I can find for you! :D

Trbayth
05-10-2016, 06:42 PM
One more pro: You look so darn good riding it! ;)

900Dave
05-10-2016, 06:57 PM
I agree very few con's on this bike. I bought mine about the same time you did. Very little wind buffeting for me just cross winds. Storage is less than my ST Limited due to the smaller frunk. Rear bags are nearly the same. Stock seat is super comfy for me, (I put an Ultimate seat on the ST to make it more comfortable). There are a few more vibrations Belt/engine but nothing I cannot deal with. OH! and the radio on this think is really good compared to the radio on the ST that was completely useless. Handling is very good but I have installed my Elka shocks and I will install my Baja Ron sway bar just because I have them already.

Congratulations on your new ride. I love mine :2thumbs:

PrairieSpyder
05-10-2016, 09:22 PM
Trbayth, thank you very much, sir! I forgot how good I look. ;)

And Dave, thanks for the reminder about the vibration.

Pros:
7. Comfortable seat. I don't think I'll need to replace the seat, but by the end of this season, after ryding to Red Rocks in Utah, I'll have a better idea. I sure liked the Mustang seats they were showing at SpyderFest.

Cons:
4. I have noticed some tingling in my fingers after riding for a few hours. I once had a Suzuki 650 1-cyl that vibrated a lot. I haven't noticed that with this F3, and I think it may have to do with the higher position of my hands in relation to my elbows. But I also noticed some slight vibration on the footboards. When I have the first service done, I'll ask them to check the belt tension.

I haven't really tested the radio yet. Joe promised me a set of music and I'm waiting for that to see how it does.

I'm also going to go this season with the stock shocks and anti-sway bar.

ARtraveler
05-10-2016, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the updates. How is the ride compared to the RT?

spyderCodes
05-11-2016, 06:54 AM
One mostly overlooked factor for this is helmet design.
I made the nearly 1000 mile, Interstate speed trip back from Spyderfest and really did not notice it.
I was wearing my Shoei full face helmet.

Yesterday I threw my old half helmet on and went out for a ryde.
I noticed Head-buffeting Big Time.

If this proves to be a problem you might want to test drive some other helmet designs.

armyspydervet
05-11-2016, 07:02 AM
Boy is this machine peppy! Fred was following me home with his 1330 RT, and said he couldn't catch up after we entered the turnpike. (I thought he was just falling back on purpose because he doesn't to follow too close.) But I didn't have a trailer and the F3 is 20% lighter to begin with. But I am convinced it would shut down an RT anyway.

Ask Bob D if an F3-T will shut down an RT off the line...he knows from experience :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Bob Denman
05-11-2016, 07:18 AM
:D Yes: they will... :thumbup:

:lecturef_smilie: But we Weren't racing! :roflblack:

Tango
05-11-2016, 10:48 AM
Patti F4 has the W/S. You can get ram ball mounts for the bar that goes across. I ordered a F3 Limited on Monday. Dealer hasn't received the shipping date yet. I will ride for a while like you to see if the F4 beats the buffeting. At Vendor Village, Baker Built had the F4 on their F3. Looked great. So did you BTW :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

www.lightningtrailers.com (http://www.lightningtrailers.com)

Chupaca
05-11-2016, 01:13 PM
from the choices I'm seeing a third option...Money pit...:lecturef_smilie::roflblack::roflblack:

Darren111
05-11-2016, 02:36 PM
Hi PraireSpyder,

Can we have a pic of your new Spyder?

Bob Denman
05-11-2016, 02:42 PM
Here's one that I had of her...

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=129655&stc=1

But I'm sure that she's got some better ones to share!

PrairieSpyder
05-11-2016, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the updates. How is the ride compared to the RT?

I'm still trying to figure out the differences, if any. It seems a little stiffer than my RTS did, and I sure feel the bumps and rough road more. I just came back from 120 miles on rural paved roads that were kinda rough. I don't remember my RTS transferring all those bumps to my butt like the F3T did. But maybe I'm just remembering the RTS fondly.

Ron2andia
05-11-2016, 05:24 PM
Ty for the post I love, love, love the F3S I have... It's so much fun! I took it the highway and when I hit 6th gear I started to feel the vibration but eased of the throttle and back on and it was gone.. After learning how to throttle I never had it ever again not even once! Awesome machine my baby is:yes:

Hey Yu
05-11-2016, 06:08 PM
Cons:
4. I have noticed some tingling in my fingers after riding for a few hours. I once had a Suzuki 650 1-cyl that vibrated a lot. I haven't noticed that with this F3, and I think it may have to do with the higher position of my hands in relation to my elbows. But I also noticed some slight vibration on the footboards. When I have the first service done, I'll ask them to check the belt tension.

Tingling in the fingers. Used to get that with my 2002 Sportster. Relaxing your grip on the handlebar may lessen the effect of the vibration.

Cruzr Joe
05-11-2016, 06:14 PM
Patti:

New USB drives arrived today and i am working on the music. When you get a chance PM me with your Address.

Cruzr Joe

Bob Denman
05-11-2016, 06:37 PM
Patti,
I was talking with Tom (Tango) tonight. If helmet buffeting is an issue, Revzilla sells the X-Screen. He was talking with someone at SpyderFest about them, and they were VERTY happy with how they worked... :thumbup:
(And Tom will soon be reporting some F3 news as well! :D)

murphybrown
05-11-2016, 06:54 PM
Got mine a week later. Had 3000 mile service yesterday.
Road serious miles of twisties in WV. Been in verrrry heavy rain and wind
No vibrations. No head buffeting. Actually I score my new Red Stallion a 10 perfect match for this "ole grey mare"
i was struggling with dismounting.. Hmmm might be the extra 20 lbs and weak legs. BUT Jacob installed the 3rd, middle located peg, designed by Lamonster Garage. Huge help.
Yep really liking the new ryde.:thumbup:

2ndChildhood
05-11-2016, 07:21 PM
A couple of pictures I have.

ToM
Keep it simple
Life is good

PrairieSpyder
05-11-2016, 07:24 PM
Patti,
I was talking with Tom (Tango) tonight. If helmet buffeting is an issue, Revzilla sells the X-Screen. He was talking with someone at SpyderFest about them, and they were VERTY happy with how they worked... :thumbup:
(And Tom will soon be reporting some F3 news as well! :D)

What is that? A windshield attachment?

900Dave
05-11-2016, 07:40 PM
I'm still trying to figure out the differences, if any. It seems a little stiffer than my RTS did, and I sure feel the bumps and rough road more. I just came back from 120 miles on rural paved roads that were kinda rough. I don't remember my RTS transferring all those bumps to my butt like the F3T did. But maybe I'm just remembering the RTS fondly.

I was thinking the exact opposite. We, Sharon and myself cannot believe how smooth it rides! But we are coming off an ST that had no air ride. We absolutely love how smooth this F3 is over the bumps.

Tango
05-11-2016, 07:45 PM
What is that? A windshield attachment?

Patti it clamps, or bolts onto the top of the W/S. Charlie from Knoxville has one on his bike. Need to speak with him. Anyone know his screen name? Also I posted the link to Lightning Trailers for you. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

Bob Denman
05-12-2016, 07:03 AM
Here's a quick write-up that I found about them...

http://www.farklemyride.com/mra-x-creen-review

vondalyn
05-12-2016, 07:50 AM
What is that? A windshield attachment? I have an x-creen tour attached to the top of my blue ridge windshield. It gets rid of the buffeting for me and I can wear my half-helmet. You can get clamps so that you don't have to attach it permanently. Once I determined that it worked for me, I switched over to the permanent installation (which comes with the x-creen).
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=129681&stc=1

firstshirt
05-12-2016, 08:36 AM
Patti, go to grip buddies.com and install the foam raparounds they are great. Also relax your grip and shoulders ,the clavicle presses on the main artery
to the arms,shutting down the supply of blood to the arms.

PrairieSpyder
05-12-2016, 08:45 AM
Patti, go to grip buddies.com and install the foam raparounds they are great. Also relax your grip and shoulders ,the clavicle presses on the main artery
to the arms,shutting down the supply of blood to the arms.

I already have those. It could be a nerve issue I have, combined with the arm position. On the RT, I sat higher in relation to the bars.

Darren111
05-12-2016, 02:35 PM
Ty for the post I love, love, love the F3S I have... It's so much fun! I took it the highway and when I hit 6th gear I started to feel the vibration but eased of the throttle and back on and it was gone.. After learning how to throttle I never had it ever again not even once! Awesome machine my baby is:yes:

Second this. :yes::yes::yes:

robertl
05-12-2016, 03:22 PM
I rode a F3T at bike week and I don't recall a lot of buffeting but the wind noise was deafening.
Likely because the air between the body/shield (accelerated air) was hitting me just under my helmet. I'm 6'2".

The clip/clamp/bolt on screens do help with buffeting depending on the level and how much improvement you are looking for.
Depending on the size, they effectively add about 2" to the top of your shield.

Revzilla has a 30 day return policy as long as the parts are in new condition.
I have a Puig smaller one on my Buell and it helps some on my stock screen but didn't work as well on my aftermarket screen.
Tried it on the RS BRP Touring screen and it just wasn't big enough to help.
I believe the Xscreen is larger than my Puig. Definitely go larger if you can. I was limited by width of my Buell screen.

A tip is to either keep the screen in the plastic or wrap in plastic kitchen wrap so you can test without it getting scratched, dirty, covered in bugs, etc.

On my RS, I ended up with a 26" Madstad which they custom cut. I tried every possible adjustment on the 24" plus the Puig and just couldn't get rid of the buffeting. The 26" is 1" above bottom position and set at 60 degrees that they recommend. Night and day difference.

PrairieSpyder
05-12-2016, 06:00 PM
Question about the USB and other thing in the glove box. Are those always hot? Or do they shut off when the Spyder is shut down and the key off/removed?

Bob Denman
05-12-2016, 06:36 PM
I already have those. It could be a nerve issue I have, combined with the arm position. On the RT, I sat higher in relation to the bars.

If necessary: that can be fixed with an AirHawk, and a Sheepskin seat cover! :thumbup:

cptjam
05-13-2016, 01:06 AM
Question about the USB and other thing in the glove box. Are those always hot? Or do they shut off when the Spyder is shut down and the key off/removed?
A USB draws so little power-like milliamps. Would take all year to drain a battery. No worries!
Glad you like it! Now ride it, my friend! Joe

spyderpagan
05-13-2016, 12:20 PM
I'm still trying to figure out the differences, if any. It seems a little stiffer than my RTS did, and I sure feel the bumps and rough road more. I just came back from 120 miles on rural paved roads that were kinda rough. I don't remember my RTS transferring all those bumps to my butt like the F3T did. But maybe I'm just remembering the RTS fondly.Have you checked the air PSI in the rear shock , makes a huge difference :yes: