PDA

View Full Version : PA to Colorado and back in 30 days or less

Charlotte17078
05-09-2016, 09:19 PM
We are heading out on Friday (May 13) YIKES, just realized it's Friday the 13th.. oh well.
The hubs on his Voyager and me on my 2015 Red Pearl RT!!
Heading to S. Colorado, Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, other touristy areas, then, on to N. Colorado
for more touring.
If you have ideas/suggestions of roads, etc. to check out on the way, we'd be up for some ideas.
We are used to long trips, Arkansas and N. Carolina - slayed the dragon!!
:ohyea:

ARtraveler
05-09-2016, 09:24 PM
Have a great ride and be safe. Can't help you on the stops on the proposed route. :yes:

Cruzr Joe
05-09-2016, 09:28 PM
Be very aware of your fuel at the end of Oklahoma and beginning of Texas, in the evening gas stations are few and far between.

Cruzr Joe

asp125
05-09-2016, 11:11 PM
Lots of great roads in Colorado. Suggested rides would be the loop of the San Juans that goes from Durango, Ouray (Hwy 550 - Million Dollar Hwy) Telluride (Co 145), Dolores and back to Durango. As well CO 141 is a little known gem on the far western edge of the state. Another nice road is Durango east over Wolf Creek Pass to Pagosa Springs, then north on 149 to Gunnison. From Gunnison, head west northwest on the North Rim of the Black Canyon, then over the Grand Mesa on CO65, or east from Gunnison to Salida, then north over Independence Pass to Aspen or straight up to Vail via Leadville on CO24.

In northern CO, CO131 between I-70 and Steamboat Springs, then east to Walden on CO14 continuing east to Ft Collins via the Poudre Canyon. Or turn south at Walden and follow the signs to Grand Lake and Rocky Mtn National Park. On the east side of the park you can take the Peak to Peak Hwy from Estes Park south (Hwys7/72/119) back to I-70 and east into Denver.

Of course time permitting, there are landmarks like Pikes Peak, Mt Evans hwy, Mesa Verde, and Colorado National Monument etc to ride/see.

There are tons more great twisty roads here, it would take more time than 30 days to try em all.

IdahoMtnSpyder
05-10-2016, 01:03 AM
We are heading out on Friday (May 13) YIKES, just realized it's Friday the 13th.. oh well.
The hubs on his Voyager and me on my 2015 Red Pearl RT!!
Heading to S. Colorado, Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, other touristy areas, then, on to N. Colorado
for more touring.
If you have ideas/suggestions of roads, etc. to check out on the way, we'd be up for some ideas.
We are used to long trips, Arkansas and N. Carolina - slayed the dragon!!
:ohyea:
I hope you have lodging reservations in hand. I found out last year, about this same time, that starting the first of May everything around Grand Canyon is booked solid months ahead. I managed to find a room in Flagstaff and a camping spot at Flintstones Bedrock Campground a few miles south of the South Entrance. I couldn't find anything, campground or hotel, in the St. George, UT area so I just came home via Las Vegas. I think the north rim of the GC is closed until June. It's a thousand feet higher than the south rim.

I had no problem finding hotel rooms in the Colorado Rockies last week.

Take a look at my travelog from last week for a few pics of the Rockies. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?93108-I-m-not-home-yet!

cptjam
05-10-2016, 01:08 AM
You coulda called- we have a guest room for you! Joe

IdahoMtnSpyder
05-10-2016, 01:34 AM
You coulda called- we have a guest room for you! Joe
Thanks! :ohyea: If I remember correctly I did passingly think about calling you but it was late and I wanted to stay on the north side of Vegas & not deal with the traffic. It'll be my luck you'll now say you live near Nellis AFB! I stayed near there!

Charlotte17078
05-10-2016, 04:10 AM
I hope you have lodging reservations in hand. I found out last year, about this same time, that starting the first of May everything around Grand Canyon is booked solid months ahead. I managed to find a room in Flagstaff and a camping spot at Flintstones Bedrock Campground a few miles south of the South Entrance. I couldn't find anything, campground or hotel, in the St. George, UT area so I just came home via Las Vegas. I think the north rim of the GC is closed until June. It's a thousand feet higher than the south rim.

I had no problem finding hotel rooms in the Colorado Rockies last week.

Take a look at my travelog from last week for a few pics of the Rockies. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?93108-I-m-not-home-yet!

Your pictures and descriptions are amazing!! Can't wait to get there!! I'll share some pics when we get back.
We are staying with friends and relatives while we are out there. Thanks for the lodging info, that's good to know!

eagleeye299
05-10-2016, 05:49 AM
Enjoy the ride. Sounds great.:yes:

jtpollock
05-10-2016, 06:51 AM
Lots of great roads in Colorado. Suggested rides would be the loop of the San Juans that goes from Durango, Ouray (Hwy 550 - Million Dollar Hwy) Telluride (Co 145), Dolores and back to Durango. As well CO 141 is a little known gem on the far western edge of the state. Another nice road is Durango east over Wolf Creek Pass to Pagosa Springs, then north on 149 to Gunnison. From Gunnison, head west northwest on the North Rim of the Black Canyon, then over the Grand Mesa on CO65, or east from Gunnison to Salida, then north over Independence Pass to Aspen or straight up to Vail via Leadville on CO24.

In northern CO, CO131 between I-70 and Steamboat Springs, then east to Walden on CO14 continuing east to Ft Collins via the Poudre Canyon. Or turn south at Walden and follow the signs to Grand Lake and Rocky Mtn National Park. On the east side of the park you can take the Peak to Peak Hwy from Estes Park south (Hwys7/72/119) back to I-70 and east into Denver.

Of course time permitting, there are landmarks like Pikes Peak, Mt Evans hwy, Mesa Verde, and Colorado National Monument etc to ride/see.

There are tons more great twisty roads here, it would take more time than 30 days to try em all.

WOW I was going to chime-in but this kind of covers it just forgot one thing we are still getting SNOW in the high country. :agree: jtpollock

asp125
05-10-2016, 12:15 PM
Oh yeah .. independence pass and trail ridge road, Mt Evans, & the top of Pikes Peak usually open around memorial day. They are that high up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

SpyderAnn01
05-10-2016, 12:39 PM
Thanks! :ohyea: If I remember correctly I did passingly think about calling you but it was late and I wanted to stay on the north side of Vegas & not deal with the traffic. It'll be my luck you'll now say you live near Nellis AFB! I stayed near there!

As a matter of fact we do live near the AFB. You completely avoid the spaghetti bowl traffic if you come to our house.

BamaJohn
05-10-2016, 01:20 PM

:agree: :2thumbs::clap:
Lived out there 6 years and those are spectacular rides!
jb

Deanna777
05-10-2016, 06:31 PM
Enjoy your trip and be safe.

Post pictures when you can.

Deanna

Charlotte17078
05-27-2016, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the helpful hints for our ride!
We made it to Colorado with no major incidences, just alot of rain.
The Grand Canyon is beautiful and beyond words!!!
The wind on the ride from Flagstaff to the canyon was challenging!!
Saw an elk about 10 feet from the road coming from the canyon, he was beautiful! Have enjoyed a boat ride on Lake Powell, rafting on the Colorado, Moab, Arches Park, Mesa Verde, rode through Wolf Creek Pass and back to Dolores and today rode route 550 from Durango to Grand Junction. The most beautiful and intense ride I have had, so far (that includes the Dragon).
Tomorrow, heading to the Rocky Mountain National Park area. (about 3500 myles, so far)
The best thing that I did to get ready for the trip was to buy the Gerbing heated coat.
It has kept me very comfy! AND daily stretching and exercises to get my bod in some type of condition
and comfort between rides:thumbup:

cptjam
05-28-2016, 12:47 AM
If you get out this way, call. Joe

asp125
05-28-2016, 09:38 PM
16 posts .. and still no pictures! :(

;)

Charlotte17078
05-29-2016, 12:06 AM
16 posts .. and still no pictures! :(

;)
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13310321_684409411696828_7107016201568885098_n.jpg ?oh=544d63f533ad2aea3eef213bc08a566a&oe=57D773C2

Charlotte17078
05-29-2016, 12:08 AM
If you get out this way, call. Joe
Hi Joe,
Missed you, didn't go further West than the Grand Canyon.
Maybe next time/year.