PDA

View Full Version : Baffled by the Throttle retun spring & bushing

Wildrice
05-06-2016, 01:58 PM
I installed the heated grips several months ago--without the throttle return spring & bushing that appears to go inside the outer section of the throttle grip being held in place by the throttle grip end cap. The throttle works fine without the spring & bushing--except for being very sensative in the initial 1/8" movement. The trottle grip does snap back to low idle without the spring. Somehow during the heated grip installation I lost the bushing that appears to be placed between the outer spring end & the end cap. I have ordered another spring & bushing. The spring I received is identical to my inital spring. My problem is the black bushing I received is 3/4" long & there is only room for approx 3/8" bushing when mounting the end cap.
The diagrams on both the CanAm f3's & Procaliber show the spring & bushing on the inside end of the thottle grip. I assume this is a diagram error. I need feedback from anyone who remembers installing the CanAm F3's heated grip & spring & what was the length of the orignal bushing.?? Or did you install the heated grip without the spring & bushing--installing the spring only causes the the throttle grip to bind up.
Thank you kindly,
Worried in Westerville,
Darrell

bigwhammy
05-06-2016, 05:43 PM
I installed the heated grips several months ago--without the throttle return spring & bushing that appears to go inside the outer section of the throttle grip being held in place by the throttle grip end cap. The throttle works fine without the spring & bushing--except for being very sensative in the initial 1/8" movement. The trottle grip does snap back to low idle without the spring. Somehow during the heated grip installation I lost the bushing that appears to be placed between the outer spring end & the end cap. I have ordered another spring & bushing. The spring I received is identical to my inital spring. My problem is the black bushing I received is 3/4" long & there is only room for approx 3/8" bushing when mounting the end cap.
The diagrams on both the CanAm f3's & Procaliber show the spring & bushing on the inside end of the thottle grip. I assume this is a diagram error. I need feedback from anyone who remembers installing the CanAm F3's heated grip & spring & what was the length of the orignal bushing.?? Or did you install the heated grip without the spring & bushing--installing the spring only causes the the throttle grip to bind up.
Thank you kindly,
Worried in Westerville,
Darrell
the diagram is correct
You have to undo the throttle and slide it off about an inch turn it clockwise insert bush and Spring the hook on the Spring has to go in to bush.
then put it back together with about 1/4 turn pretension on the throttle. The Spring will not line up without undoing the throttle from handle. It easier to pretension from start all over again. Make sure the cable does not bind only slide the grip part 1 inch or so out.
did mine 12 months ago so working from memory

Wildrice
05-07-2016, 09:24 AM
the diagram is correct
You have to undo the throttle and slide it off about an inch turn it clockwise insert bush and Spring the hook on the Spring has to go in to bush.
then put it back together with about 1/4 turn pretension on the throttle. The Spring will not line up without undoing the throttle from handle. It easier to pretension from start all over again. Make sure the cable does not bind only slide the grip part 1 inch or so out.

I previosly took it apart twice & can't imagine it fittinghttp://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=129345&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=129346&stc=1 I wonder why the Throttole grip has a spring hole approx 2+" from the outter side & the steel throttle shaft has a slot the other end of the spring conveniently slides on to it. I cut the bushing down to 3/8" --inserted the spring with the straight lip into the throttle hole & the 90 degree bend of the spring thru the steel shaft slot---added the 3'8" plastic bushing & end cap & it works fine. Is your Sprider the F3 or other model??
Thanks for your feedback,
Darrell

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-07-2016, 09:33 AM
I wonder if you have to pre-load the Throttle when you put the spring in........if you understand what I'm getting at ????...Mike :dontknow:

Wildrice
05-07-2016, 12:47 PM
I wonder if you have to pre-load the Throttle when you put the spring in........if you understand what I'm getting at ????...Mike :dontknow:

After the spring's pointed end falls into the grips inner center hole I used needle nose to twist the spring approx 1/4 turn for the spring's 90 degree bend to fit into the steel shaft's slot. The slotted end of the steel shaft also has a treaded hole for securing the end cap.

bigwhammy
05-07-2016, 07:33 PM
After the spring's pointed end falls into the grips inner center hole I used needle nose to twist the spring approx 1/4 turn for the spring's 90 degree bend to fit into the steel shaft's slot. The slotted end of the steel shaft also has a treaded hole for securing the end cap.
I have an f3s
i would keep an eye on it the cut down bush is most probably not now supporting the inner white part of the throttle. I try to twist the the Spring also as a fix but found that sliding the whole unit out an inch allows me to pretension it and use the original bush.
as long as it is not sticking a good result

Wildrice
05-08-2016, 10:12 AM
I have an f3s
i would keep an eye on it the cut down bush is most probably not now supporting the inner white part of the throttle. I try to twist the the Spring also as a fix but found that sliding the whole unit out an inch allows me to pretension it and use the original bush.
as long as it is not sticking a good result

Now my curriosity is raised--I'll get another full size bushing & take it apart again. So you are saying the small hole cut into the 2+" vertical surface from the outside of the grip is NOT being used???

Thus if I drop the spring & bushing into the original non heated grip---that's the way it should be with the steel shaft in the center??

BikerBabe
05-08-2016, 04:02 PM
Now my curriosity is raised--I'll get another full size bushing & take it apart again. So you are saying the small hole cut into the 2+" vertical surface from the outside of the grip is NOT being used???

Thus if I drop the spring & bushing into the original non heated grip---that's the way it should be with the steel shaft in the center??

Just put the bushing in align the slot drop the spring in making sure the end goes into the bottom hole. No tension on the spring, put the end cap on and tighten. Then slightly twist the grip and put in the screw into the housing. Takes a great deal of patience.:pray:

I just did this this morning. Took the grip off to install the heated grip and was having a darn hard time trying to get that all that put together. Got it done.

SpyderGTL
05-08-2016, 10:32 PM
the diagram is correct

i went through this exact pain this afternoon installing the heated grips on my wife's F3-T. No matter what I did, the throttle always bound up and wouldn't snap back to idle. I finally noticed that the hole in the end of the base of the throttle end cap didn't line up with the slot in the bushing and throttle grip post. Once I took it apart and rotated the throttle enough to get the hole and the slot to align, it worked perfectly. That's kind of a key detail / tip to omit from the installation instructions! :shocked::shocked::shocked: (I don't recall having this issue a year ago when I installed the heated grips on my F3-S.)

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-08-2016, 11:21 PM
i went through this exact pain this afternoon installing the heated grips on my wife's F3-T. No matter what I did, the throttle always bound up and wouldn't snap back to idle. I finally noticed that the hole in the end of the base of the throttle end cap didn't line up with the slot in the bushing and throttle grip post. Once I took it apart and rotated the throttle enough to get the hole and the slot to align, it worked perfectly. That's kind of a key detail / tip to omit from the installation instructions! :shocked::shocked::shocked: (I don't recall having this issue a year ago when I installed the heated grips on my F3-S.)
I think your explanation is better than mine in Post #4.....:roflblack:........Mike :thumbup:

SpyderriderCAN
06-04-2018, 11:40 AM
the diagram is correct

Q please, i have a f3 6 speed with "independent" Urban night hanndle bars, they seem to be a mm short of 7/8, i want to install kryiyakan grips, can i just carefully cut off the throttle side grip?
My spring came out, but its working fine and i still cant get spring back in but trying.

Thoughts?
Cdn rider.

SpyderriderCAN
06-04-2018, 11:44 AM
Thank you kindly,
Worried in Westerville,
Darrell

I cant get the spring back in, but it seems to work fine w/o it, i am thinking of installing kuryiyakan grips. can i cut off the throttle side grip? yes?