PDA

View Full Version : A FEW QUESTIONS

1800vdrider
03-04-2009, 08:54 PM
Spent saturday looking into a new spyder. Sold my bike and getting real close to taking the plunge. few things im wondering about, first what kind of fuel does it call for reg or prem? Belt life? guy in parts dept said he sold one last week 400.00, wow there not cheap and looks like it might be a lot of work to change it out. How many RPMs does the motor turn at 75 mph? Is it easy to get to the oil drain plug and oil filter? How well does the stock windshield work? Does it deflect the wind good or do you get a faceful? would much appreciate any feedback THANKS---TOM:clap:

dltang
03-04-2009, 09:01 PM
Spent saturday looking into a new spyder. Sold my bike and getting real close to taking the plunge. few things im wondering about, first what kind of fuel does it call for reg or prem? Belt life? guy in parts dept said he sold one last week 400.00, wow there not cheap and looks like it might be a lot of work to change it out. How many RPMs does the motor turn at 75 mph? Is it easy to get to the oil drain plug and oil filter? How well does the stock windshield work? Does it deflect the wind good or do you get a faceful? would much appreciate any feedback THANKS---TOM:clap:

Aww!! the age old fuel question. That has been discussed and tossed around so often, do a search in past threads and you will get so many opinions. I use regular fuel as does my husband and 15,000 miles later, no problems with fuel. I tried premium a handful of times and saw no benefit in how my spyder ran or mpg. My belt and tires are still in good shape so no worries there. The rpm's do run high on this machine but that is normal for this engine. The oil is a pain in the but to change, just to be honest. Many love the stock windshield. We do a lot of long distance travel and both my husband and I have aftermarket windshields. I am 5'6" and I use the F1 Evo III and my husband used the Evo III slider at 6'4". We both like them a lot. You can see our bikes and all the extras in the My Mods forum. He is bjt and I am dltang.

Donzo
03-04-2009, 09:12 PM
OK,
It takes regular - I have put in premium - rides better on regular.
Belt life - there are several people with over 20,000 miles and I have not heard of any belts being replaced.
At 75 you are about 6000 rpms(i think) the bike feels like it is in its element at 75 - great cruising speed for the Spyder.
The first time you change the oil - it is a learning experience - now, I can do it fast and easy - so yes it is easy to do - you just need to take off some panels and learn the procedure.
The first thing I replaced was the windshield - it threw the wind into my chest area and at highway speeds this really pushed me around- there are several windshields available aftermarket - you need to do some research and find what is right for you. There is no agreement as to which is the best windshield every shield has its lovers and haters.
You will love the Spyder - hope you like to meet people and ride alot....buy one and you will! :spyder2::cheers:

effgjamis
03-04-2009, 10:32 PM

Since you have cycle endorsement on license, or your state does not require one... Look at your dealer for their demo ride or a BRP Sponsor demo ride. That should answer alot of thoughts you have.

BRPjunkie
03-04-2009, 10:37 PM
Ditto Donzo's and dltang's disertations. Every bike needs maintenance, but get extended warranty to cover expensive parts that fail. If you wear them out, you had your fun, so pay the price. Consider oil changes penenace for having too much fun. Deal with wind or pay to make it go away. Pay to play does not just exist in IL, it exists in Spyderland.

Spyderjuice
03-04-2009, 11:00 PM
:agree: with all the comments above. Buy the machine. It's a blast!

Juice :clap:

bone crusher
03-05-2009, 01:47 AM
Don't buy a Spyder...get a Vespa...
:D

docdoru
03-05-2009, 04:35 AM
welcome

babyanlee
03-05-2009, 04:48 AM
welcome:agree:

Saluda
03-05-2009, 05:46 AM
Great machine, happy we purchased it. The windshield was the first to go.

M2Wild
03-05-2009, 07:29 AM
welcome

Oil change can be easy but the filter is more of a pain (or mess). Belt should be fine for sometimes unless you mod it and take the guard(s) off in the process. Then you risk grater chance of damage. I know the belt is in the $400-$500 range because I was think about a spare before I found out how much it is and not relly possible to change it out yourself on the side of the road. Economy or mid-grade seems to be fine so far, so more miles per dollar works for me.

Dudley
03-05-2009, 01:06 PM
I don't have any idea what the belt life will be on a Spyder. As in so many other matters of durability, I think that to be directly related to how one rides the Spyder. I rode a Yamaha RoadStar over 50,000 miles and the belt looked as good as new, but then I don't hotdog anything I own. I expect to get 30,000 miles on my rear tire (I have gotten 28,000 on the rear tire of Yamaha RoyalStar Venture). I will change my own oil after the initial break-in from the dealer. I replaced the stock shield with a CalSci ExtraLarge and am very pleased with it. My suggestion to you is to buy it and as you ride it, you will see what needs to be done to make it your special Spyder. Ryde Safe!

AMTJIM
03-05-2009, 02:00 PM
Spent saturday looking into a new spyder. Sold my bike and getting real close to taking the plunge. few things im wondering about, first what kind of fuel does it call for reg or prem(I use 87~88 in winter and 90+ in summer)? Belt life(I thought it had a life time guarantee, it's also a warranty item because belt guard fails to protect from debri damage)? guy in parts dept said he sold one last week 400.00(I think a few people on here have bought them for about $250.00), wow there not cheap and looks like it might be a lot of work to change it out. How many RPMs does the motor turn at 75 mph(5500 rpms...many of us a waiting for a touring/economy sprocket for the rear rim, knock off about 1000 rpms. Probably not a good idea for 2 up or trailer pulling)? Is it easy to get to the oil drain plug and oil filter(Quick release of left side scoop to fill, a hole in the bottom plating for a socket to fit through for the engine drain, another on the resevoir, an allen key for the filter)? How well does the stock windshield work(depends on how much airflow you enjoy, I went with the Mels Monster Garage tinted)? Does it deflect the wind good or do you get a faceful(Depends on which BRP shield was mounted at purchase, but they aren't extremely different, a face full in other words)? would much appreciate any feedback THANKS---TOM:clap:
Look for about 35mpg if your conservative while touring.