PDA

View Full Version : Paraplegic new F3-S owner, hi from the U.K

Rollin sean
04-30-2016, 03:23 PM
Hi all, it's been nearly 5 years since my motorcycle accident that left T11 complete para and just got my first spyder F3-S... Took me this long to persuade my wife to let me have one!
just wanted to say hi and say how much I'm loving my new ride. Just fantastic to be back on the road :)
Having never rode a spyder before I had hopefully expectations and wasn't sure how comfortable and stable I would feel but I shouldn't of worried as it feels excellent.
The dealer fitted an ISCI hand brake adaptation and foot boards however the braking performance with the hand brake is extremely disappointing, a car braked unexpectedly in front of me today and I thought I wasn't going to stop in time. I've adjusted the brake lever span adjuster out as far as I can although I do have fairly small hands but the lever came back to the bars. I've lost a lot of confidence in the ability to be able to stop in an emergency which is a real shame.
ive read on here that this is a known issue now but any suggestions on improving the braking?
cheers
sean http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=128971&stc=1

Chupaca
04-30-2016, 03:42 PM
I have seen only one other but home made. Attaching a lever to the foot brake which is much more effective than the hand brake system from isci. It does require some skill but this guy had no problem. He was happy using the hand brake around town and just casual ryding but used the lever when in doubt.. isci is the only one out there at the moment and the system does lack...But congrats on getting the OK to get back out there....:2thumbs: I know this is most pleasing and I have no doubt you will find a way to overcome this bump in the road....:ohyea:

4 MARIE
04-30-2016, 05:00 PM
Welcome to OUR 3 wheel world.
I have read somewhere that the "bleeding drill"
for the handbrake slave and master cylinder is
pretty specific, and you might want installer to try again.
Lever certainly shouldn't come back all the way to the grip. and good luck.

Netminder
04-30-2016, 08:35 PM
Welcome. Happy (S)miles!

PrairieSpyder
04-30-2016, 09:56 PM
:welcome:

Ron2andia
04-30-2016, 10:18 PM
:congrats::welcome:

Bfromla
04-30-2016, 11:09 PM
:congrats::welcome:
Welcome to OUR 3 wheel world.
I have read somewhere that the "bleeding drill"
for the handbrake slave and master cylinder is
pretty specific, and you might want installer to try again.
Lever certainly shouldn't come back all the way to the grip. and good luck.this sounds quite accurate, have you contacted ISCI?:dontknow: See if they have a recommendation?:2thumbs:

DJFaninTN
04-30-2016, 11:49 PM
welcome and hope you get your brake issue figured out

Mike Ard
05-02-2016, 06:09 PM
I too have the ISCI hand brake but did add the Baja Ron fully sintered brake pads. It takes about 200 miles to brake the new pads but once seated they do a great job of stopping the F3. Ron also recommends the rotors as well but was out of stock when I ordered mine. As I said the new pads are far superior to the stock pads for stopping power.

gkamer
05-02-2016, 06:31 PM
​Welcome to the forum cousin. There is a ton of great info available here and a bunch of truly knowledgeable and helpful folks who hang out here.

blitzkreig
05-05-2016, 09:31 PM
Bleed your brakes mate. You shouldn't be able to squeeze the lever until it reaches the handlebar.

eddieshep999
05-06-2016, 05:24 AM
Nice to see another new Spyder owner in the UK - Check out the ukspyderweb.com website and the ukspyderweb facebook page

Hope to see you sometime at a UK Spyder meet

ARtraveler
05-06-2016, 09:47 AM
:welcome: and :congrats:

Another vote for the "brake bleed."

HayRog
05-06-2016, 10:26 AM
Congratulations at being able to get out there with the wind in your face again :thumbup:

Alwaysonwheels
05-16-2016, 05:33 PM
Hi all, it's been nearly 5 years since my motorcycle accident that left T11 complete para and just got my first spyder F3-S... Took me this long to persuade my wife to let me have one!
just wanted to say hi and say how much I'm loving my new ride. Just fantastic to be back on the road :)
Having never rode a spyder before I had hopefully expectations and wasn't sure how comfortable and stable I would feel but I shouldn't of worried as it feels excellent.
The dealer fitted an ISCI hand brake adaptation and foot boards however the braking performance with the hand brake is extremely disappointing, a car braked unexpectedly in front of me today and I thought I wasn't going to stop in time. I've adjusted the brake lever span adjuster out as far as I can although I do have fairly small hands but the lever came back to the bars. I've lost a lot of confidence in the ability to be able to stop in an emergency which is a real shame.
ive read on here that this is a known issue now but any suggestions on improving the braking?
cheers
sean http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=128971&stc=1

I have the ISCI on my STS and it is almost too stiff and will almost send me over the bars if I hit it without being ready. I appreciate the freedom as I am a T5 Incomplete. You may not have the brake adjusted correctly down below. I installed mine so I became very familiar with how they work. It is a good product and just needs the proper adjustment providing the brakes are good on the F# itself.

That said I did have to have the brake booster that comes with the ISCI kit replaced at about 3 months of age. No problems since.

Tim

redrt
05-16-2016, 06:35 PM
Glad it worked out, I have heard a lot of people having problems with the hand brake. As my right leg gets worse I have looked at making
a hand brake off the foot brake, like the old farm tractors had, so I have the option when my leg won't move. With a longer leaver it would
give me more stopping power. Jim

Spyder_Cowgirl
05-17-2016, 11:18 AM
I am in the process of looking for a thread where someone fashioned a "missing" bracket for the ISCI unit that eliminates "flex" in the mechanics. I know he made one for himself and also one other rider (Kawakii) -- I believe both riders are also enabled.

Will update once I find the thread (if I can, it is several years old). And I agree, bleed the brakes .... it is not easy on the ISCI unit, but once done properly, the hand brake works well.

FOUND IT -- here's a link to the thread: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?52761-The-missing-handbrake-bracket&highlight=ISCI+bracket

Regards ..... Ann

Alwaysonwheels
05-17-2016, 01:09 PM
Ann is on the mark they may not be bled properly. It is a dirty rotten #$%^%^ to get it done and was exhausting to squeeze it as as needed.

Just gotta do it.

Mike Ard
05-19-2016, 01:33 PM
Yes it important to properly bleed the hand brake system both at the master cylinder on the handle bars and the slave cylinder that attaches to the clevis. It is also recommended that the brakes be re-bled after riding a few hundred miles to get any stray air bubbles out of the system.

i found that the system works ok and stops pretty well but after installing the fully sintered brake pads that Baja Ron sells and getting them broke in my F3 can stop on a dime.

Rollin sean
05-23-2016, 01:19 PM
Yes it important to properly bleed the hand brake system both at the master cylinder on the handle bars and the slave cylinder that attaches to the clevis. It is also recommended that the brakes be re-bled after riding a few hundred miles to get any stray air bubbles out of the system.

i found that the system works ok and stops pretty well but after installing the fully sintered brake pads that Baja Ron sells and getting them broke in my F3 can stop on a dime.

Thanks for for the tip. I've just got some EBC HH sintered pads ready to install so hopefully I'll notice a difference once they've bedded in.

markjperry
06-07-2016, 09:17 AM
Do you plan to take your wc with you?

Rollin sean
06-09-2016, 04:58 PM
Yeah I've been using the passenger backrest to hang my wheelchair off, one strap over the frame and it works great.

skak72
06-14-2016, 08:29 PM
That is awesome!! This is the biggest bonus top spyders...they are so easily modifiable!! Great that you can take both your roses on the road with you! Have fun!!

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Alwaysonwheels
06-14-2016, 10:33 PM
cheers

1) Do not get in an accident or your wife will never let you have another.

2) and more important. As a T5 Para with a ST-S with the ISCI Brake there are two things to do. Rebleed the hand brake and get the Lamonster brake pads and you should stop much faster. I can stop in as short a distance as the other Spyders I have tested against.

Enjoy the ride.