PDA

View Full Version : The Big Question

Bersquack
03-03-2009, 10:29 AM
As some of you know, it has been a long journey getting my spyder. In fact, I don't quite have it yet. It has been sitting in its crate at the dealer since they received it the day before Thanksgiving. As I am waiting for the weather the get nicer, I keep reading about SE5 problems and I am almost at a point where I am considering trading it for a SM5.

I really like the semi-automatic shift, but is it worth the trouble, cancelled vacation because the bike is not working right and so on? To make the decision even harder, the SM5 have their problems too.

I know it is a new product and I am fine with it, but that does not mean all the little problems are to be forgiven. It is not a get out of jail card for everything.

What do you guys think?

FANG
03-03-2009, 10:34 AM
I don't know about the SE5 but I can tell you I have had my SM5 since June 2008 - 5000 + miles and I love it - no problems to speak of except can't get all the mods I want at 1 time.

NancysToy
03-03-2009, 10:37 AM
Don't let the magnification of a few problems on a forum scare you. The majority of Spyders have had few, if any, problems, mostly of a minor nature. There are additional concerns with the SE5, but most have been addressed. It all seems to depend on the quality of your dealer, the competence of his tech, and his contact with BRP. I would not pick up an SE5 and immediately ride it across the country, without a trial period, but I would have confidence in it as soon as I had a couple thousand miles on it. The BEST extended warranty with the road service helps bolster that confidence. We have owned our SM5 for a year now, and have many carefree miles on it. Several SpyderLovers have tens of thousands of miles on their Spyders now. Only a few are still struggling. I think you can get that with any product.
-Scotty http://forum.thestompbox.net/images/smilies/a---cold.gif

mc2276
03-03-2009, 10:37 AM
I will be honest. I thought about getting the SE5. But with all the problems I have read about, I am glad I changed my mind and got the SM5. The only major problem I had was electrical, and that was the dealers fault, put the fuses in the wrong locations. Had my parking brake stick once, thank god it was at the dealer when that happened. That was a quick fix. Other than those, I have had no problems with my SM5 and would recommend this version to anybody.

tomwom
03-03-2009, 10:44 AM
:2thumbs: I 'm picking up my New SE5 today. Yes I too have had these thoughts. But i'll stick with the SE5 for now. Hopeing all will work out for the best. Guess it is up to the dealer to make this work for me.nojoke:yes::spyder2::spyder2::spyder2::spyder2: :spyder2::spyder2::spyder2:

VossHog
03-03-2009, 10:56 AM
:congrats: TOMWOM!!!!

I'm jealous. Still saving up for my SM5 next spring.

:2thumbs: I 'm picking up my New SE5 today. Yes I too have had these thoughts. But i'll stick with the SE5 for now. Hopeing all will work out for the best. Guess it is up to the dealer to make this work for me.nojoke:yes::spyder2::spyder2::spyder2::spyder2: :spyder2::spyder2::spyder2:

SLO RYDER
03-03-2009, 12:45 PM
Don't let the magnification of a few problems on a forum scare you. The majority of Spyders have had few, if any, problems, mostly of a minor nature. There are additional concerns with the SE5, but most have been addressed. It all seems to depend on the quality of your dealer, the competence of his tech, and his contact with BRP. I would not pick up an SE5 and immediately ride it across the country, without a trial period, but I would have confidence in it as soon as I had a couple thousand miles on it. The BEST extended warranty with the road service helps bolster that confidence. We have owned our SM5 for a year now, and have many carefree miles on it. Several SpyderLovers have tens of thousands of miles on their Spyders now. Only a few are still struggling. I think you can get that with any product.
-Scotty http://forum.thestompbox.net/images/smilies/a---cold.gif

:agree: The forums magnify the problems of a few. The Spyder is a fantastic machine for the money I don't think youo can go wrong with either the SM5 or SE5. It just depends on personal preference. I have over 5K on my SM5 and my battery has gone dead on my 06' BMW R1200RT due to lack of use since I bought the Spyder.

Mike

GI Jane
03-03-2009, 01:13 PM
There's not been a single day that I have regretted buying my SE5. VERY minor things that the dealer has taken care of. I haven't been stranded anywhere yet. I'd say go with what you want.

Sara
03-03-2009, 01:31 PM
After the new oil pressure spring was installed as a tech bulletin(to improve shifting), I have no trouble (didn't before)....and I can out shift a foot-shift Spyder. When accelerating down the road, rather than working your foot up and down/up and down---it's a simple press of the thumb---what a deal. Love it.-----However, I totally understand those who like foot shifts---it's familar and traditional-----When I gave up two wheels, I don't want to use the feet in any way---except in braking, and would give that up for a good hand brake-----If there is anyone out there who knows of a really good/functional hand brake for sale and installation, let me know.

babyanlee
03-03-2009, 02:27 PM
I would have had it out of box long ago - weather or no weather just so I could look at it and sit on it and make vroom vroom noises on it (egad I'm glad I can ride year round). No problems with my SM5 and have over 3500 miles on it since late August. Quit worrying and pray for good riding weather :spyder2:

zzneonzz
03-03-2009, 02:30 PM
As some of you know, it has been a long journey getting my spyder. In fact, I don't quite have it yet. It has been sitting in its crate at the dealer since they received it the day before Thanksgiving. As I am waiting for the weather the get nicer, I keep reading about SE5 problems and I am almost at a point where I am considering trading it for a SM5.

I really like the semi-automatic shift, but is it worth the trouble, cancelled vacation because the bike is not working right and so on? To make the decision even harder, the SM5 have their problems too.

I know it is a new product and I am fine with it, but that does not mean all the little problems are to be forgiven. It is not a get out of jail card for everything.

What do you guys think?

I have an SE5 and have almost 6k miles and still love it. Don't let the few people who have had problems with theirs cause you to change your mind unless you just prefer the SM. Mine hasn't been in the shop for anything other than accessories/services.

bone crusher
03-03-2009, 03:44 PM
They're both great bikes.

I got the SM5 because I wanted to most closely simulate the feel of being on a motorcycle...hittin' the clutch and changing gears is a large part of the fun of having a bike of any kind. Not unlike a manual transmission car vs. an automatic, the manual always gives you a better feel of the vehicle and road.

If you go with the SE5, undoubtedly, you'll love it...for me, the manual was the only way to go...

orangespydiegirl
03-03-2009, 05:04 PM
:2thumbs:I love mine, it hasn't spent a day in the shop for anything. Go with your gut and do what's best for you. You'll love every minute on it and will hate every minute it spends in the garage waiting on warm weather!